3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the reason the TL is not considered an affordable luxury car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:43 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
These guys are idiots. Acuras epitomize this category.
I agree. Oh well time to trade the TL for the much more luxurious C30, or better yet the Saab.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:41 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by limited
Acura still lacks the prestige of the brands on the list. Most people see Acura as a nice car at a bargin price...that's where the problem is. When people ask me about what kind of car they should buy, the first words out of my mouth are "if you want a nice car for cheap, get an Acura." And it's true, Acura pretty much under cuts everyone in the luxury market. Much like how companies like Hyundai is under cutting everyone in the market and putting out decent cars.

Acura=bargin luxury
luxury and bargin dont quite mix.
Hmm i dont consider the RL or MDX cheap..maybe u need to be more precise when u say ACURA only
Old 07-16-2007, 03:43 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
=

Forbes should stick to reporting corporate news anyway.
and they should stick to reporting how much a billionaires make so we can be envy of them.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I got my TL because it had everything I wanted. Sure I could've gotten a 3-series for the same price but I truly liked the Acura better. When buying it I knew it didn't carry the same prestige as the BMW nameplate but when I pay that $700 car payment every month I want something I want and not what anyone else wants. That list, as retarded as it may be doesn't phase me at all. I'm happy with my decision..... but why did the 335 have to come out lol.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^^^ what 3 series can you get at the same price as a TL that has its options?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ggesq
^^^ what 3 series can you get at the same price as a TL that has its options?
When I went looking you could get a 330 for roughly the same price. Granted I was getting an 06 TL in Dec of 05 with little room to bargain and I got the Bimmer dealer to come down quite a bit. At the time there were probably 5 3 series to every 1 TL on the road where I lived so that influenced my decision too. Plus, a friend of mine sells used cars and I had a chance to own a 5 series or even a CL55 for the same price but honestly was sick of unreliable cars.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Acuras Only in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
When I went looking you could get a 330 for roughly the same price. Granted I was getting an 06 TL in Dec of 05 with little room to bargain and I got the Bimmer dealer to come down quite a bit. At the time there were probably 5 3 series to every 1 TL on the road where I lived so that influenced my decision too. Plus, a friend of mine sells used cars and I had a chance to own a 5 series or even a CL55 for the same price but honestly was sick of unreliable cars.
U kidding, right? Getting a 330 with the kind of options TL has ? That would get you into 40+ easy ... my buddy works for bimmer so I know they don't sell under MSRP ...
Old 07-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by shooter
U kidding, right? Getting a 330 with the kind of options TL has ? That would get you into 40+ easy ... my buddy works for bimmer so I know they don't sell under MSRP ...
I won't mention what I paid for my TL because it's embarassing. But yes, with roughly the same options I found an 05 330 for about what I paid for the TL. Going off of memory from a year and a half ago the 330 was roughly $1,500 more.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:35 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Once again, this comes back down to corruption of the media. They control a lot of things in our society. Everything is feed through the media outlets (newspapers, magazines, Internet, television, radio etc)

I wouldn't be surprised if Forbes Magazine has political ties somehow.

Anyways, to really get unbiased opinions, read up on Consumer Reports!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Pro

People who rely solely on Forbes in their car buying decisions are either idiots or know little to nothing about the best value in cars, their reliability and dynamics!!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Pro

Look at what I found from Forbes. The article came out in Feb. 2004.

http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2004/..._0209test.html.

May be these are the reasons why they don't think the TL is a luxury car: (1) not enough power; and (2) front wheel drive ... as well as ... perhaps weight distribution and torque steer.

Test Drives
2004 Acura TL
Michael Frank

Overview

News that Acura is planning a revamp of its moribund RL flagship this coming fall shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who follows the car business. No, the RL is not the subject of this review--the less-expensive Acura TL four-door is.

But we mention the RL in this context because its fate has a great deal to do with that of the just-revised TL--and of course with the fate of the entire Acura line. Acura, you'll recall, is the luxury division of Honda (nyse: HMC - news - people ). Sales of Acuras were uneven last year, with numbers holding steady or going upward on models below $30,000, but above that mark Acura got spanked. For instance, the RL tanked more than 27%, with a volume just a smidge over 6,000 cars. By comparison, Toyota's (nyse: TM - news - people ) Lexus line sold four times as many LS430 flagship models, and that was a down year for the LS430.

Which points to one key problem with the Acura label--it has never really stood for luxury or performance worth paying top dollar for.

HIGHS:
Fast; generous cockpit, strong styling

LOWS:
Torque steer throws the handling off.

READ MORE TEST DRIVES

And there are two chief reasons: not enough power and a front-drive-only drivetrain. See, while rivals from Japan, such as Nissan's (nasdaq: NSANY - news - people ) Infiniti, are switching to rear-wheel drive to showcase superior handling (Lexus long ago added rear-wheel drive in order to gain on its German competition), Acura has stood pat. Officials there have always insisted that inline four and V-6 engines with power sent to the front wheels made the most sense from a production and space-efficiency perspective. And they are right about the latter--if you don't have a driveline stretching from the engine bay to the rear wheels, a flat cabin floor is much easier to create. And you can more readily make a spacious cabin without having to make a long car.

However, there are a few big negatives as well. One is weight distribution. With no driveline reaching backward and an engine pushed forward to make a small car roomier, you wind up with a nose-heavy machine that won't corner as neutrally as a vehicle with 50-50 weight distribution. Another problem is torque steer (the tendency of the front wheels to fight steering inputs under hard acceleration). Acuras have never suffered from severe torque steer, but that's unfortunately changing. The reason is there's a horsepower war going on in luxury-performance cars that sell for $30,000 and up, and everybody is coming with rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive.

So whether that's General Motors' (nyse: GM - news - people ) Cadillac or Infiniti, or Ford Motor's (nyse: F - news - people ) Jaguar or Lexus, Acura has to keep up. But more power sent to the front wheels eventually results in torque steer--there's just no way to get around it.

Still, the choice to go with less power doesn't look very good in ads, either. So that's why the $32,650 Acura TL gets 270 horsepower, way up from the old TL's 225-hp output. After all, this car is meant to contend with Infiniti's 260-hp G35, Cadillac's 220-hp CTS (you can also get the CTS with 400 horsepower as well, but it costs $49,300 versus $30,490 for the base model), not to mention BMW's 225-hp 330i. And, yes, a few Lexus options, as well as the Audi A4 with all-wheel drive and the Mercedes-Benz C320.

But while a 270-hp, 3.2-liter V-6 engine under the hood of the TL certainly makes it at least as quick in a straight line as its rivals, it also makes this a car you have to think about more when driving it hard. And there are some other drawbacks (having nothing whatsoever to do with performance). More on these--and still more on the RL--when you click below.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:54 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Why on earth does anyone of you give a rats ass what Forbes thinks about cars??
Same goes for Cnet and the car books.

They all have different criteria than most of us and their readers may be the type of people that value products by price only. Anyway, I have no question about what car I should have purchased. I drive it almost every day.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
@ Forbes.

They knew about the CTS-V but not the 02-03 TL-S:
So that's why the $32,650 Acura TL gets 270 horsepower, way up from the old TL's 225-hp output. After all, this car is meant to contend with Infiniti's 260-hp G35, Cadillac's 220-hp CTS (you can also get the CTS with 400 horsepower as well, but it costs $49,300 versus $30,490 for the base model),

Though I do peruse Forbes.com regularly, I tend to take the car review info with a grain of salt.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by coykiam
I still think car mags and or reviews are politically driven and/or someone is getting money under the table.

x2

after you put in options for all those cars they are more money than the tl and still have less in it,

my friend got a loaded g35 and paid 43k out the door how is the more affordable then a loaded tl at about 36-37k out the door
Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 AM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my input

although i do feel like acura should be up there, at least considered "luxury", there are many reasons that hold the "acura" name back..

1. acura only makes two luxury vehicals.. the TL and RL

i think if they wanted to change their name, they would definitely have to DROP the rsx (integra) and the tsx even down to the honda line.. the TL and RL can keep up with todays "luxury vehicals" but the rsx and tsx simply cant..

2. this is a big reason... ACURA DOES NOT MAKE ANY V8! bmw, lexus, mb, etc all have a car in their lineup that has the big daddy v8 in it.. i think adding v8 to the acura name would greatly boost their image and people would think of their name more often when we think of "lexus, infiniti, benz..." etc

thats just my input... but anyways, good news? i saw a TL in the new 335i commercial where the 335 is compared to other luxury vehicals along with the IS, G37, and other cars.. but the TL WAS indeed in that category!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Boomer Sooner!

Originally Posted by ecliptics
this is a big reason... ACURA DOES NOT MAKE ANY V8! bmw, lexus, mb, etc all have a car in their lineup that has the big daddy v8 in it.. i think adding v8 to the acura name would greatly boost their image and people would think of their name more often when we think of "lexus, infiniti, benz..." etc
Agreed. All those lines have a big, powerful "halo" car that everyone considers to be a "luxury" car. Acura doesn't (yet), hence it is somewhat easier to overlook. Saab would certainly be an exception to that.
i saw a TL in the new 335i commercial where the 335 is compared to other luxury vehicals along with the IS, G37, and other cars.. but the TL WAS indeed in that category!
So Forbes doesn't consider the TL to be in the 3-series' class, but BMW does? Nuff said.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
although i do feel like acura should be up there, at least considered "luxury", there are many reasons that hold the "acura" name back..

1. acura only makes two luxury vehicals.. the TL and RL

i think if they wanted to change their name, they would definitely have to DROP the rsx (integra) and the tsx even down to the honda line.. the TL and RL can keep up with todays "luxury vehicals" but the rsx and tsx simply cant..

2. this is a big reason... ACURA DOES NOT MAKE ANY V8! bmw, lexus, mb, etc all have a car in their lineup that has the big daddy v8 in it.. i think adding v8 to the acura name would greatly boost their image and people would think of their name more often when we think of "lexus, infiniti, benz..." etc

thats just my input... but anyways, good news? i saw a TL in the new 335i commercial where the 335 is compared to other luxury vehicals along with the IS, G37, and other cars.. but the TL WAS indeed in that category!
imho, the TSX, MDX and RDX are also considered luxury.

they have already dropped the RSX, no?

there is a V8 in the works

yeah, i saw that commercial too. the TL was way in the back.....but included nonetheless
Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 AM
'02 NBP TL-S

I think they should move the RSX(Integra) down to the Honda line. The Civic Si model's are basically the same exact car so I don't see a point in Acura holding the stakes for the Integra. It's definitely a damper on the Acura brand. The TSX needs to be at least a V6 to contend with a luxury car IMO.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:52 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

^^ RSX is going to be discontinued for the same exact reasons you mentioned. TSX will likely get a turbo-4...we will see.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:04 PM
toTaL package

Forbes Think: Acura = Premium NOT Luxury

Here's another interesting Forbes article ... http://www.forbesautos.com/reviews/2...el-update.html

The first paragraph reads:
Acura's midsize TL sedan remains a sporty, luxurious and reliable premium sedan with handsome styling, a roomy and thoughtfully designed interior and engaging powertrain. It is also loaded with standard amenities while undercutting comparable European competitors in price and so represents a good value.
For some reason Forbes demotes the TL to a premium vs a luxury vehicle although out of the same mouth, it says that it is luxurious

Someone figure that one out!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:17 PM
'02 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by cgrant
Here's another interesting Forbes article ... http://www.forbesautos.com/reviews/2...el-update.html

The first paragraph reads:
Acura's midsize TL sedan remains a sporty, luxurious and reliable premium sedan with handsome styling, a roomy and thoughtfully designed interior and engaging powertrain. It is also loaded with standard amenities while undercutting comparable European competitors in price and so represents a good value.
For some reason Forbes demotes the TL to a premium vs a luxury vehicle although out of the same mouth, it says that it is luxurious

Someone figure that one out!
I think it's because they also stated that the TL undercut's it's Euro competitors in price.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Chanrith
I think they should move the RSX(Integra) down to the Honda line. The Civic Si model's are basically the same exact car so I don't see a point in Acura holding the stakes for the Integra. It's definitely a damper on the Acura brand. The TSX needs to be at least a V6 to contend with a luxury car IMO.
I posted a similar assertion here (re: RSX) just before the current Si debuted, which was the last nail in the RSX/Integra coffin.

In line with RSA's post, the 2G TSX will probably get a powertrain derivative of the RDX's K23A (My guess is that the Hp/Tq numbers will be flipped to ~260hp/240lb-ft. ).
Old 07-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bhelsdon
I thought the TL was considered near luxury and not luxury.
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:

The Acura TL was redesigned for the 2004 model year. Its base price has increased sufficiently to reclassify it as a midsize luxury car. (The 1999-2003 TL was classified as a midsize moderately priced car.)
Old 07-17-2007, 04:31 PM
steeez

Originally Posted by ggesq
yeah, i saw that commercial too. the TL was way in the back.....but included nonetheless

haha im sure it was what we both first looked for.. and then i saw the butt of the tl and i was like yes!!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope Acura next move is to make a similar powered diesel at the same affordable prices.

The TL already does well on the highway when held under 80mph. The diesel would make Acura be even more efficient than now.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kappa821
x2

after you put in options for all those cars they are more money than the tl and still have less in it,

my friend got a loaded g35 and paid 43k out the door how is the more affordable then a loaded tl at about 36-37k out the door
Paid $38K for my G35 sedan OTD, only thing I did not get was the spoiler package. Unless your friend got a fully loaded G35 coupe, then the dealer took your friend for a ride.

IMO, for the price of the TL, it really needs to be be RWD.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:26 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
if the TL was RWD, geeeez.. I would love it even more..
Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Just be happy the TL isn't on this list...

http://www.forbesautos.com/slideshow...hisSpeed=12000
Old 07-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by brett
Just be happy the TL isn't on this list...

http://www.forbesautos.com/slideshow...hisSpeed=12000
I see a lot of garbage on that list. I was a little surprised only one Mercedes was on there, though...I'm sure if it was twenty cars more would've made it.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

I can tell you why.... because my $35,000 05' TL is a piece of absolute crap. I've only owned Hondas... then a CL, then a TL.... wow has this company regressed! All under 100k miles I had to replace the starter, transmission (3rd gear, common problem) clutch (90k HIGHWAY miles) I took great care of this car and had is serviced exclusively at the dealership that I bought it. It's had an acceleration issue for the last 20k miles that no dealership will acknowledge. I've been an absolutely die hard Honda/Acura guy but really, my TL (along with MANY others) have this acceleration issue and nobody can seem to fix it. THAT's why it's not considered an affordable luxury car. It was in the LEMON category.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbyc39
I can tell you why.... because my $35,000 05' TL is a piece of absolute crap. I've only owned Hondas... then a CL, then a TL.... wow has this company regressed! All under 100k miles I had to replace the starter, transmission (3rd gear, common problem) clutch (90k HIGHWAY miles) I took great care of this car and had is serviced exclusively at the dealership that I bought it. It's had an acceleration issue for the last 20k miles that no dealership will acknowledge. I've been an absolutely die hard Honda/Acura guy but really, my TL (along with MANY others) have this acceleration issue and nobody can seem to fix it. THAT's why it's not considered an affordable luxury car. It was in the LEMON category.
There are some poor unfortunate souls that end up getting a bad car. And I understand that having that experience would black-ball the nameplate for you. But keep in mind that you cannot legitimately label the Acura TL as a bad car due to only your experience with it. In fact, I think the vast majority here cannot replicate your experience. The Acura TL has proven to be a very reliable model in the highly competitive entry-level luxury division. Good luck with your car. Maybe it's just time for you to move on to another manufacturer for awhile after you dump your problemic TL.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1234bear
guys dont forget that GM and FORD are going bankrupt and have lost major major market share to japanese cars...more bang for your buck and really good reliability.
Lets not go there. The reliability gap is barely a thin line anymore. Ford is not going bankrupt. GM, due to the unions has to charge an extra $2,000 per car just to pay for retirement, etc. Think about how far $2,000 would go towards better interior quality and such. Not making excuses, they should've changed the business plan many years ago but the reason for they going under is not because of their product.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
GM, due to the unions has to charge an extra $2,000 per car just to pay for retirement, etc. Think about how far $2,000 would go towards better interior quality and such. Not making excuses, they should've changed the business plan many years ago but the reason for they going under is not because of their product.
lol... You are absolutely correct. Why should I pay for somebody elses retirement?
Old 06-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Team Owner

I wonder what it takes to be on the list. I could understand it if all the other cars were true luxury cars and the near luxury TL was left out. But some of those cars the TL blows away in luxury.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
lol... You are absolutely correct. Why should I pay for somebody elses retirement?
I was always loyal to GM....up until they took the bailout without changing things and are now mostly government owned. I'll never buy one of their products again or at least not until things change which I doubt will ever happen.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Cruisin'

Red VooDoo.... I understand what you're saying but there are a lot of people having this issue. I would venture a guess and say there are many out there (people who drive rather gently or know nothing about cars) who don't even know they have this issue. What really goes up my arse sideways is when the dealer has the balls to tell me there's no issue. I rode with a tech who agreed something wasn't right.... well after he looked at his God (the computer) he determined everything was fine and that my car running like crap was normal for this model TL. I've got a lemon, I guess I need to come to grips with that but there are many more like mine. Just like the Toyota accelerator issue. Toyota knew that 1 in every 25,000 cars had a problem but it took HEAVY pressure to get them to admit there was an issue. There's no safety concerns here so Acura can just tell me to screw!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:47 PM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
strong 3 year bump
Old 06-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 06-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by j1n
strong 3 year bump
All because someone had to rant about his car.