3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the Improvements and Fixes made in '08 TL vs. '07 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the Improvements and Fixes made in '08 TL vs. '07 TL?

Hi......

I like the 3rd gen Acura TL very much. I own an '06 TL 6MT and performs beautifully in handling and power. The only thing I am disappointed about are the two things, nothing else:

- Rattles when listening to a music with even just a mild bass and music volume level of 7. I think in some occasions I heard the rattle at volume 6. The rattling is coming from the rear deck where the sub is.

- 3rd gear problem on 6MT only - Sometimes does not want to engage into 3rd gear. I have to use all my force, muscle power to fore it in to gear otherwise it will either a). Pop out of gear, or b) gear grind. I almost had a couple of accident in the past because of this. I really don't want to risk my life just because of 3rd gear.... I need a car that will assure me to engage to 3rd gear when I tell you so.

I know that most(98.3%) of the '07 TL cars have rattling and 3rd gear problem too.

What I want to know is have any of you experienced the rattling from the rear deck with your '08 TL cars and 3rd gear problem with your '08 TL Type-S 6MT? I want to know if the manufacturer has fixed these issues and remedied them on the 2008 model. Any '08 TL owners out there experienced these problems? Please don't reply if you just bought it.... brand new cars will not give you rattling... give it good 4000~ 6000 miles and see if it gives you rattle.

This is really important to me because I really want to stick with Acura TL cars if all possible. My lease will end this summer and will have to buy a new car since the TL 6MT is the only car I have rite now. Thankxx~~~~
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura site says 08 TL has steering wheel memory, my 07 doesn't
Old 01-16-2008, 08:10 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
I doubt if they've made any significant change to the transmission.

They do have modified/new MT fluid, maybe it's the '08, maybe it's not. Doesn't matter though, because from what I've read it doesn't fix the problem long-term.

My suggestion is to search this site for the rear deck rattle fix and for "Synchromesh" - there's a GM MT Fluid that will (as far as I understand) fix the 3rd gear problem.

Originally Posted by New Car TL-S
Acura site says 08 TL has steering wheel memory, my 07 doesn't
Got a link for that (or where on the Acura site)?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
New Car TL-S, no, it doesn't, but I wish my 08 TLS did....you have to manually adjust it.

I've experienced the rattling, it took me 1 min to locate it, a little rubber pad later, and the rattling was gone.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:17 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission
Hi......

I like the 3rd gen Acura TL very much. I own an '06 TL 6MT and performs beautifully in handling and power. The only thing I am disappointed about are the two things, nothing else:

- Rattles when listening to a music with even just a mild bass and music volume level of 7. I think in some occasions I heard the rattle at volume 6. The rattling is coming from the rear deck where the sub is.

- 3rd gear problem on 6MT only - Sometimes does not want to engage into 3rd gear. I have to use all my force, muscle power to fore it in to gear otherwise it will either a). Pop out of gear, or b) gear grind. I almost had a couple of accident in the past because of this. I really don't want to risk my life just because of 3rd gear.... I need a car that will assure me to engage to 3rd gear when I tell you so.

I know that most(98.3%) of the '07 TL cars have rattling and 3rd gear problem too.

What I want to know is have any of you experienced the rattling from the rear deck with your '08 TL cars and 3rd gear problem with your '08 TL Type-S 6MT? I want to know if the manufacturer has fixed these issues and remedied them on the 2008 model. Any '08 TL owners out there experienced these problems? Please don't reply if you just bought it.... brand new cars will not give you rattling... give it good 4000~ 6000 miles and see if it gives you rattle.

This is really important to me because I really want to stick with Acura TL cars if all possible. My lease will end this summer and will have to buy a new car since the TL 6MT is the only car I have rite now. Thankxx~~~~

I can only possibly partially respond to your first question. 98.3% is about 50% high for your estimate. My 05 after 40,000 miles has no rattles, I was somewhat lucky. There are many other owners that have had the same luck.The car has been improved slightly from year to year imho. Depending on your standards you might have the same problems with any new car. The best thing to do is to test drive the heck out of any specific vechicle that you are considering. BTW, are you considering a new 2008 or the 2009?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Banned

Yea I heard about the GM Friction Modified Synchromesh MT Fluid...... I browsed through the forum a while back. Yea I could apply that, but kind of hoped if they fixed the 3rd gear issue on the '08 TL Type-S... It's no biggie. I must have this car, due to extremely great handling and that MT powa.

Same goes for the rattle. Wouldn't the manufacturer apply the extra padding on the '08 versions?.. why do we have to do that.

Hey what is Steering Wheel Memory? What does it do?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MR1
I can only possibly partially respond to your first question. 98.3% is about 50% high for your estimate. My 05 after 40,000 miles has no rattles, I was somewhat lucky. There are many other owners that have had the same luck.The car has been improved slightly from year to year imho. Depending on your standards you might have the same problems with any new car. The best thing to do is to test drive the heck out of any specific vechicle that you are considering. BTW, are you considering a new 2008 or the 2009?
Hey any new cars don't rattle when you test drive. You gotta give it good 4~ 6k miles.

I want a FWD '08 TL Type-S 6MT Black! My current one is '06 TL 6MT black.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Racer

it's what i read

Got a link for that (or where on the Acura site)?
try reading the ACURA site, go to the interactive showroom, click on "cabin" and then "memory settings". it says "...store their own personal settings for seat and side mirror and steering wheel positions, as well as climate control..."

didn't make it up...i know it doesn't do it, ain't disclaimers great?
Old 01-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Race Director

hmm, I feel screwed, I want my memory adjusting steering wheel MY FX had it.

acura web is down? i'm getting a blank page.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Racer

they're fast

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
hmm, I feel screwed, I want my memory adjusting steering wheel MY FX had it.

acura web is down? i'm getting a blank page.

they saw the post and their changing the site.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Acuras Only in

they saw the post and their changing the site.
LMAO ! .. they are not as dedicated as we are here ....

I count my blessings since my TL doesn't rattle after 7k so far ... so I'm in that top 2% ? (yeah right ...)
Old 01-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Race Director

This is what it says about Memory Settings

"With the driver recognition feature, two drivers can conveniently
store their own personal settings for seat and side mirror and steering wheel
positions, as we as climate control preference and audio presets."

I don't even know what to say....
Old 01-16-2008, 09:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
try reading the ACURA site, go to the interactive showroom, click on "cabin" and then "memory settings". it says "...store their own personal settings for seat and side mirror and steering wheel positions, as well as climate control..."

didn't make it up...i know it doesn't do it, ain't disclaimers great?
Found it. I thought maybe it was new in 2008 and searched the Press Releases, but couldn't find it. Sorry I doubted you. Wish it was a "real" feature though.

Looks like wording on the TL and MDX are exactly the same. Maybe the MDX does and they just carried the text (mistakenly) over to the TL.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey any new cars don't rattle when you test drive. You gotta give it good 4~ 6k miles.

I want a FWD '08 TL Type-S 6MT Black! My current one is '06 TL 6MT black.
My 05 MT-6 at 37,000 w/ GM Syncromesh (yes, they spell it wrong) Friction Modified = no rattles and no missed shifts into 3rd gear. I suggest you try the GM fluid, a good detailing, and maybe hunt down a couple of those rattles. Then you won't be so tempted to blow 10 grand or so buying a virtually identical new car!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

Thanks TLin05. Yes, I will have to use GM Syncro when I get the '08 Type-S 6MT. I like my '06 MT but I like the front & rear bumper styling on the TL Type-S much better, and the stiffer shocks and suspension. On top of that, it uses "solid" anti-roll bar even though my regular MT uses "thicker" hollow bar which is better than the regular AT TL version. There are things and bits that I want from the Type-S, and the 3.5 litre engine. 286 Horsepower baby! Remove the tire from the back trunk and I will be able to nearly match the weight of the regular 6MT which is the lightest in the entire TL class. Oh baby we're talking bomb.... i know exactly what I want.

I did hear that the '05 TL models do seem to have better build quality. Things like rattling is not really an issue.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Hi......

Funny you post this, I just dropped my 08 Type-S off to have the back deck padded. I have owned 4 3G TLs, 04 non-nav, 06 navi, 07 navi and now 08 Type-S. ALL had back deck probelms, the 06 was the least issues and i never had them pad it, but the 04 was horrible so much so I had them screw the deck down. The 08 is better than the 07 by only a tad, and i suspect that is luck of the draw, not anything they have done. They redesigedn the back deck I beleive in late 04 so all TLs after that have same extra padding, but it is far from good enough. Funny Acua now has a p/n for a test CD so the techs can test for rattles int he back deck. Problem is it is weak and allows Acura to say "it does nto fial for us". Fortunatley my dealer is willing to pad the deck regardless of what the Aucra Test CD shows. I have my own CD ad at a voluem of 10-12 the deck buzzes like a chain saw! While i have owned 4 3G cars I can tell you that Acura fit and finish is pushing me away from them. They should move production to Japan, a TSX is way more solidly built than the TL. A G35 is built like a tank compared to the TL, I just love my Type-S though. I have a back door that is slightly out of alignment, the back bumper is not well aligned either and the trunk lid is off such that it rubs on part of the back bumper, 2 defects int he paint under the clear coat. Shoddy build quality from a upscale car. I will say my 06 was probably the best built one i had, other than minor deck rattle I had no pother real issues with it. The 08 is next best, only a few minor things. The 04 had crappy interior build, but exterior was virtually flawless.

My problem is I just love the 08 Type-S, it is so refined, if that can just get their build quality improved they woudl be awesome!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Looks like we found a new feature for the '09TL with the "memory steering wheel" (snicker, snicker)
I've owned 3 Acura's since 2001 ('01 CL-S, '05 TL, and '07 TL-S) for a total of about 220,000 miles now. Never had a rattle or an issue with build quality (except for the tranny on my '01), which failed at 144,000.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks TLin05. Yes, I will have to use GM Syncro when I get the '08 Type-S 6MT. I like my '06 MT but I like the front & rear bumper styling on the TL Type-S much better, and the stiffer shocks and suspension. On top of that, it uses "solid" anti-roll bar even though my regular MT uses "thicker" hollow bar which is better than the regular AT TL version. There are things and bits that I want from the Type-S, and the 3.5 litre engine. 286 Horsepower baby! Remove the tire from the back trunk and I will be able to nearly match the weight of the regular 6MT which is the lightest in the entire TL class. Oh baby we're talking bomb.... i know exactly what I want.

I did hear that the '05 TL models do seem to have better build quality. Things like rattling is not really an issue.
Roger that! It probably is "luck of the draw" on some issues -- hope you get a Wednesday Car
Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 PM
LyfeIs what you make it!

Hi......

I have an 08 TL with about 4k miles on it and the only rattling I've experienced is with the center speaker. Nothing in the rear deck. I do have an auto so I don’t know if that’ll effect your question.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Pro

Going back to the title of the thread, are there any significant changes between 07 and 08, or lets say, 06 and 08...