3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you pay for your new windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:22 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did you pay for your new windshield?

I have two little rock knicks, right in front of my face in my 04 TL.

I've been reading that people pay around 200 for aftermarket, and 600 for Genuine Acura Windshields.

What route did you go and what did you pay?

Can you get an aftermarket one that is as thick and comes with the sound barrier that in theory you get with the genuine windshield?

-Jeff
Old 05-16-2006, 05:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
go OEM, there is a coating on the OEM windshield that you typically don't find on aftermarket ones
Old 05-16-2006, 06:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never had so many rock chips with my windshield. Im not sure if I would go OEM.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:23 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by invincible569
I've never had so many rock chips with my windshield. Im not sure if I would go OEM.
I agree, the original windshield in My TL would chip if even the smallest stone hit it. My replacement windsheild is from safelite. I am not sure how much it was because my insurance paid for it, I just had to pay the Deuctable. The invoice did say that it was acusticaly tuned just like the orginal. I have had this winsheild for over a year now and I have NO chips or marks. There have been things that have hit this windsheild that I was sure would have left a mark, but it is still perfect.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:24 AM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went aftermarket..through Royal Glass. Dont know who is near you. I have used them before on previous cars from break ins in my civic a couple years ago. Good people. My car was broken into twice within the same month. The gave the second window to me half price. This is a fairly large company but this is the reason why I give them repeat business and referrals. Mine was like 230- 240 I believe for the windshild. They basically take the window apart and replace the top part of the glass. I paid out of pocket because deductable is higher plus I avoid contacting insurance about anything not serious. Still under 25 and trying to keep it as clean as possible.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I just had mine replaced at Banner Glass, at the Baileys Crossroad location. The label on the glass says PPG. I had to take it back today, as I noticed an optical flaw in the lower left driver corner. When driving on roads with painted lines, it made then bend inward.

So the manager says they are going to make it right. The Banner glass CEO and a PPG rep. are going to look at it Monday. I'm just not thrilled about having surgery done on my car again.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:09 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
My OEM quote was 749...I dont care what the hell they put on the windshield I have two rock chips and one big crack, I'm going aftermarket.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Instructor

Bummer

I just called a local shop and they only have access to the OEM replacements. Safelite didn't have the mold for this window. Quoted me 800 bucks.

They said for 59 can can do rock chip repair, but said optically it will look like a drop of water, you will notice it.

Any advice for someone in Portland OR who is annoyed to the tune of $250 dollars but isn't annoyed enough to shell out 800 bucks for something that will look the same in 30k miles again?

-Jeff
Old 05-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by zootjeff
I just called a local shop and they only have access to the OEM replacements. Safelite didn't have the mold for this window. Quoted me 800 bucks.

They said for 59 can can do rock chip repair, but said optically it will look like a drop of water, you will notice it.

Any advice for someone in Portland OR who is annoyed to the tune of $250 dollars but isn't annoyed enough to shell out 800 bucks for something that will look the same in 30k miles again?

-Jeff
Thats strange, my windshield was replaced by Safelite. It took one day to get the windshield in and they came to install it the next. I know that my windshield is after market because is no longer says "Honda" in the lower left corner.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bhelsdon
Thats strange, my windshield was replaced by Safelite. It took one day to get the windshield in and they came to install it the next. I know that my windshield is after market because is no longer says "Honda" in the lower left corner.
Did it cost you 800 dollars?
Old 05-17-2006, 06:31 AM
Pro

Did it cost you 800 dollars?
No, my insurance paid for it.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:43 AM
Pro

I found my windshield invoice

Safelite was the company and here is the list of part #s

FW02452GBN-Windshield green tint/Blue shade (Solar)(Acoustic Interlayer)
HAHH0000004-Adhesive(Urethane,Dam,Primer)
WFT F2452- molding.

This is every thing listed on my Invoice. Sorry their are no prices because my insurance paid for it. I do Know that when you get a new windshield you have to also get a new piece of molding because it is supposidly attached to the old windshield.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Instructor

So I had my insurance pay for my windshield. I went with Cascade Auto Glass and the guy took off the old window and put on a Gaurdian Industries one. I watched him do it and I am pretty happy with the job he did.

He removed the roof molding with a metal pry bar and damaged two of the clips. The service manual says don't use metal because it will crack the window, and it did, but he was removing it so that wasn't really a problem. He did break two of the clips and he was complaining about how honda did a crappy job with these clips so then I went and checked the service manual and it gives a detailed explanation on how to remove the clips without damaging them, and he didn't follow it.

Everything went back together and workes fine. The winshield is nice and it is Acoustic Guard from Guardian.

I guess ignorance is bliss, if I didn't watch him do it, I wouldn't care, but since I did, the clips are kinda bothering me becuase I know they're all mangled and two are broken.....

Anyone know what new roof molding costs?

-Jeff
Old 05-31-2006, 11:18 AM
Advanced

Just replaced my second windshield. First one was done in California two years ago and cost my insurance company around $650. The second was here in Phoenix last week and cost the insurance company $800. I have full windshield coverage. The California replacement was the Honda OEM and the latest was the Safelite without the Honda name, but essentially the same. Freeway driving is the most probable cause of each breakage, but damn that's a lot of glass in just a few years.
MarkD
Old 05-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Pro

So I had my insurance pay for my windshield. I went with Cascade Auto Glass and the guy took off the old window and put on a Gaurdian Industries one. I watched him do it and I am pretty happy with the job he did.

He removed the roof molding with a metal pry bar and damaged two of the clips. The service manual says don't use metal because it will crack the window, and it did, but he was removing it so that wasn't really a problem. He did break two of the clips and he was complaining about how honda did a crappy job with these clips so then I went and checked the service manual and it gives a detailed explanation on how to remove the clips without damaging them, and he didn't follow it.

Everything went back together and workes fine. The winshield is nice and it is Acoustic Guard from Guardian.

I guess ignorance is bliss, if I didn't watch him do it, I wouldn't care, but since I did, the clips are kinda bothering me becuase I know they're all mangled and two are broken.....

Anyone know what new roof molding costs?

-Jeff
When my windshield was replaced the guy bent my roof molding. I complained and they replaced it for me. The funny thing is that the new molding doesn't come with new clips. The tech said the same thing to me, " Honda made these clips too cheap and thats why two of them broke and why my molding got bent."

If it is only a couple, I would leave it alone. You may end up bending your molding
Old 05-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

It cost me $600 for the aftermarket Safelite glass. The original windshield lasted only 2 months in my new TL, then it was hit by a pebble and a huge crack started growing--everyday!!!

I'd say go aftermarket because the OEM glass is sh*t. Good luck.