Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is better stick or automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is better stick or automatic?

I am buying my TL very soon, but can't decide on what to get. Should it be manual or automatic. Need advice on both stick and automatic.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Depends on your driving conditions really. Do you drive in a lot of traffic? I do at times and went with the AT because of it, that and I can hold a cup of Starbucks and still drive. If I want to get sporty and push the car a bit I use SS it works great!

It's up to you but one thing is for sure, you WON'T regret the TL. It's an awesome car.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DayLight324
I am buying my TL very soon, but can't decide on what to get. Should it be manual or automatic. Need advice on both stick and automatic.
The only down side to owning the 5 spd auto is that the "sportshift" automatically shifts from first to second gear when accelerating. On the bonus side however, if you forget to down shift while slowing down (i.e. a toll booth or something), the car will downshift for you.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Advanced

It's all up to you...

Automatic transmissions have more drivetrain loss so you get less HP to the wheels, meaning it will be a little bit slower. But you don't have to clutch and shift an AT.

I love manual, I really do. But when sitting in traffic for 1-5 hours it really sucks.

Now I only have manual transmission in weekend cars, not commuters.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

It's like asking "what's better, taking the stairs 23 floors or taking the elevator"? It's akin to wondering "should I take a ship across the Atlantic for 5 days or fly in 5 hours"? Maybe you'd prefer a slide rule to a calculator? Candles to a lightbulb? Boiling water instead of a microwave?

One of the 7 wonders of the world is the invention of the automatic transmission. Enjoy it.

http://www33.brinkster.com/iiiii/inventions/

BJ
Old 06-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by robmiller
The only down side to owning the 5 spd auto is that the "sportshift" automatically shifts from first to second gear when accelerating.
There is a way around this limitation. Take off in L and at about 6k RPMs push up and over into SS and you'll have shifted into 2 and have control as to when to shift into 3. At that point though, you're doing over 60.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's too bad that they did this. Other than on very steep mountain roads, the only time that I used this on my '99 was to be able to get a fast start from a stop if I needed a quick lane change, etc. Being able to stay in first made a huge difference.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
6 speed!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2004, 12:24 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boltjames

One of the 7 wonders of the world is the invention of the automatic transmission. Enjoy it.

BJ

Anyway.....when it comes to the TL and you like both transmission, but can't decided.

The prefer and smart choice is 6MT. Why??

Because I say so.....no.

-You get a more reliable transmission (honda)
-Is more fun.
-You get awesome brakes.......the TL needs them.
-Faster or I should say quicker
-you also get bigger sway bars, no need to upgrade in the future.
-Lighter car
- You also get an LSD (limited slip differential) its good when cornering.
- You get and extra gear, meaning only 6th gear is overdrive (less than 1:1 ratio) meaning your trasmission is spining faster than your engine when overdrive.

Don't see why anyone would buy the 5AT, when it comes to the TL, if you like both 5AT and 6MT, if you don't want a maual car is understandable.

Enjoy which ever one you pick....6MT
Old 06-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Racer

A couple observations:

IMO automatic is borng to drive compared to the stick.

I know a lot of peope who have some sort of sport shift option in whatever they drive and privately all admit that they rarely use it. I was playing with it in the TSX loaner I had and the novelty wore off in les than a day. Maybe you like the SS and maybe you'll never use it but either way it is NOT a substitute for a real stick.

Sometimes realities of life like traffic, kids, spouses who can't drive it, etc. preclude the purchase of a stick but my feeling is buy the six speed unless you have a reason not to. Only downside I see is possible resale issues later on. The last two cars I had w/ sticks lasted 165k & 150k miles on the original clutch so don't let that bother you.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have an auto TL, I wish I had the 6-speed E V E R Y D A Y !!!
Old 06-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Safety Car

its up to your driving preference, automatic is easier and makes driving simple you are simplying steering the car. alot of us prefer the 6MT because of it adds more to the driving experience. the 6MT will net a little better performance but other than that the cars are pretty much the same. you do get the bigger brakes and sway bars with the 6MT tho.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Team WD Vice-President

I'd get the 6MT because of the limited slip dif, brembo brakes, bigger sway bars and not to mention 6 gears.

But no matter what tranny you choose the TL is one awesome car.

Let us know on what you decide upon.

Old 06-06-2004, 03:16 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I bought an automatic but there are definitely days I've wondered if it would be better for me to buy stick. However, the days I'm stuck in traffic I definitely do not regret the choice...
Old 06-06-2004, 03:38 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Go with 6MT you'll not regret. I love mine every second of the ride.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Advanced

6MT!!!
Old 06-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Instructor

That fact that you even asked means you should go with an auto. Most people that get the 6mt know that they want that control. I knew I wanted the 6 speed. I drove an auto loaner, and to tell the truth, it performed better than I thought it would. Although, there was a lag in shifts with the SS. I suggest taking both on all day test drives to really get a feel.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:26 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Get the 6MT!!! I've never heard of anyone who got the 6MT complain that they wished they'd gotten the 5AT, whereas there've been plenty of people who'd gotten the 5AT who later wished they'd gotten the 6MT!!!.

The 6MT is so smooth and precise that even having to shift in heavy traffic is a blast!!

TL-Rocket
Old 06-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You 6MT guys cut it out. I haven't had a manual since my '86 Prelude and '84 CRX. The Prelude shifted like butter.

OK, snap out of it. Must buy AT. Must buy AT.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:46 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DayLight324

I have auto but wouldn't mind a 6spd. I miss driving stick!!
Old 06-07-2004, 03:20 AM
Drifting

BREMBO BRAKES!! that says it all...nuff said!!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:55 AM
Rocker of Ganj

Purely Personal Preference
Old 06-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Pro

Pick the 6 speed.

It's amazing that some Auto drivers are regretting that they bought Automatics in the first place.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Racer

Well, now living in NJ, I love the Automatic. I had a 5.0 Manual for a longtime. Loving the traffic with the Auto. It's not the same but Sport Shift is Fun.
Check out Michael Rafferty at Open Road Acura in Wayne.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

is it that bad in traffic? i drive 6MT all day slow or go its no real problem at all. just some extra clutch work. what else do you need to do with your left leg when you are stuck in traffic?
Old 06-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Racer

I guess it's just an individual thing. I always preferred to stick with manual transmissions for 2 door sports cars. Never really got into it for 4 door sedans, although, I do know the performance is better.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Advanced

The choice is yours, but...(and there's always that "but"). I chose the AT because other half does not drive stick (along with 90% of the driving population) and I have another stick to drive. Yes, the AT is much happier in traffic. My concern w/the 6MT was the torque steer that Car & Driver reported that is exacerbated by the limited slip. Consumer Reports noted an absence of TS w/the AT, and this is true, there is virtually none. Having come from a rear-driver and owning a Saab, I am well aware of the problem. As for the Brembos, they're more "bling" than anything else; differences in stopping distances compared to the standard brakes are insignificant unless one is making repeated hard stops from speed - hardly everday driving behavior.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by JetJock
BREMBO BRAKES!! that says it all...nuff said!!
True enough. Go with the automatic to avoid the squealing, excessive dust, and far more expensive maintenance (pads and calipers).

Mike
Old 06-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Don't flame me, but Honda/Acura's track record with automatics mated to high HP engines hasn't been too good. You're mitigating your risk by going with the manual. Contrary to the buying patterns of this forum, the used market isn't looking for manuals so you could take a hit at resale - something to consider. And whoever said Brembo's are "bling" is wrong. My current car has them and they're incredible both in lack of fade and overall stopping power. I'd also assume they won't be as prone to warp as the typical Acura set up. They do cost a lot more to replace when they're worn though.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Advanced

two test drives two cars.....let me explain.

I took the AT out for a drive when there first came out last fall, and I was - of course - in love. The car is amazing, period. BUT, I did notice the AT and/or the electronic gas pedal working together a bit too much. What I mean is that when I put my foot down, either from a stopped position or while driving, there was NO a hit. It was only after things got going (more revs) that the acceration was obvious. However, the test drive of the 6MT was frickin crazy. That motor is great, enough torque and it just wants to REV, and its quiet - I mean its soooo quiet. I could NOT believe the difference between the two test drives. This ACURA TL, to me, is a benchmark - in every respect.

I have not yet traded in the 00 TL that I have....but the new RL is coming and me thinks I need a treat!!!! HAAA

............cheers

PS: I would go with the 6MT, crazy ass car that it is!
Old 06-07-2004, 01:14 PM
10th Gear

Just try driving in LA traffic everyday and then tell me you like your 6MT....me thinks you would change your tune pretty quick!!! I drove a stick for 12 years and then moved to LA, where I drove a stick for 6 months before I had to switch to AT. It's just not practical!!!
Old 06-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by svtmike
True enough. Go with the automatic to avoid the squealing, excessive dust, and far more expensive maintenance (pads and calipers).

Mike
but man they feel oh so incredible.

As others have pointed out the 6MT has a few extra performance enhancements so if you want performance, manual it is.

convience? Automatic.

Your choice, not ours.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DavePA
As for the Brembos, they're more "bling" than anything else; differences in stopping distances compared to the standard brakes are insignificant unless one is making repeated hard stops from speed - hardly everday driving behavior.
there is a significant difference between the brembos and the standard brakes
Old 06-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by deandorsey
In what way? There might be on the track, but the majority of TL drivers will never experience brake fade so the Brembos don't do anything above stock.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by deandorsey
Unless you plan to take the TL to the track, the performance difference is insignificant. Reduced fade after repeated high speed braking are what Brembo brakes excel at.

As for 5AT vs. 6MT, for fun driving I prefer a manual, but he SS 5AT is a good compromise and a better choice if you have to drive regularly in heavy stop and go traffic.

-r
Old 06-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
the difference is NIGHT AND DAY for me. I have had an OOTL 02RSX-S and have driven the 04 auto tl extensively. its well known that honda/acura brakes are not the best especially with warping. the 00TL's breaks warped, the rsx-s's warped (only after a couple thousand miles). i feel the brakes are better than the brakes in my s2k. i have not experienced a shimmy or any fade yet (10k+). I agree that the stock brakes are very good and perfect for most people- but it they were on the 6spd they would burn up in no time.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AcidHorse
Pick the 6 speed.

It's amazing that some Auto drivers are regretting that they bought Automatics in the first place.
For some, this is a regret that started prior to purchase because some of us bought 5AT because their wives may drive the car and don't belive that family sedans should be stick shift. Or, they refuse to drive stick and my motto is when the wife is happy I'm happy and can buy more toys.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Norse396
For some, this is a regret that started prior to purchase because some of us bought 5AT because their wives may drive the car and don't belive that family sedans should be stick shift. Or, they refuse to drive stick and my motto is when the wife is happy I'm happy and can buy more toys.
Thats what the minivan is for. I have to atone for my sins in that department, so 6mt is the way to go.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by My 1st Acura
Just try driving in LA traffic everyday and then tell me you like your 6MT....me thinks you would change your tune pretty quick!!! I drove a stick for 12 years and then moved to LA, where I drove a stick for 6 months before I had to switch to AT. It's just not practical!!!
i drive in nyc traffic everyday and i love the 6MT. i would have bought a G35 coupe if the TL was not offered in 6MT.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Intermediate

had the AT on my CL, now the 6MT. I love difference even though the I feel crappy PA roads more now. Not too much traffic for me and I am amazed how slow I can go and keep it in first.

Quick Reply: What is better stick or automatic?