Went at it with a '99-'01 LS400 today.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004 | 11:45 AM
SOLD

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Thank you! While nice and high in quality, it isnt like we're talking Bentley or Rolls Royce. Outside of pure quality and maybe customer svc, I still cant figure out why I'd want to buy an ES330 over a new TL.
And thank you both, this also irks me. When people think of luxury (that normal people can afford) the "big 3" that come to mind are MB, BMW, and Lexus. Why? I think relationship between Acura and Lexus is highly comparable to that of MB and BMW --> Acura and BMW tend to lean a little more towards sport than luxury, while MB and Lexus tend to lean more towards luxury than sport, it's all subjective. If I was looking for more luxury instead of sportiness, I would have gotten an ES330. I actually prefer MB over Lexus as far as luxury goes and was looking at a C320, but reliability is a killer for germans...
Old 06-03-2004 | 12:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by NightRider
And thank you both, this also irks me. When people think of luxury (that normal people can afford) the "big 3" that come to mind are MB, BMW, and Lexus. Why? I think relationship between Acura and Lexus is highly comparable to that of MB and BMW --> Acura and BMW tend to lean a little more towards sport than luxury, while MB and Lexus tend to lean more towards luxury than sport, it's all subjective. If I was looking for more luxury instead of sportiness, I would have gotten an ES330. I actually prefer MB over Lexus as far as luxury goes and was looking at a C320, but reliability is a killer for germans...
Ahh crap! Now we are going to have to add Infiniti too....
Old 06-03-2004 | 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ensley696
Isn't Lexus just as entry level luxury as Acura?
Acura isn't even sold outside the USA. Lexus is considered the big 3,with BMW and Benz. Acura is just now recently turning around their fortunes.
Nothing offensive but a fact. Any magazine here or overseas will state this (as much as the Euros may dislike Lexus, they respect what they sell).

Thank you! While nice and high in quality, it isnt like we're talking Bentley or Rolls Royce. Outside of pure quality and maybe customer svc, I still cant figure out why I'd want to buy an ES330 over a new TL.
Well the ES 330 sells as strong as the TL, so different strokes for different folks. And the LS 430 is highly recognized as one if not the best luxury sedans ever built.
Acura goes for niches. Lexus truly goes after both, with RWD sport sedans to go after BMW and FWD/RWD luxury cars going after Benz. Acura makes great cars but still compromises on design.
Old 06-03-2004 | 01:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Acura isn't even sold outside the USA. Lexus is considered the big 3,with BMW and Benz. Acura is just now recently turning around their fortunes.
Quick clarification: Like Infiniti, the Acura name isnt marketed outside of the USA but, the cars are sold outside of the US. With the exception of the NEW TL, each car sold in Acura showrooms is sold as Honda abroad. (As far as Acura's fortunes, I believe the 2G TL and MDX put Acura back on the map, notwithstanding the abysmal CL and declining Integra sales.) Acura just needs to go back to actually naming their cars with----names, not codes.

While I can understand where you're coming from (in general), I dont think I've ever considered Lexus as part of any big 3 'axis of luxury'. I'm not sure who else does.

Peace
Old 06-03-2004 | 01:25 PM
Instructor

AC cuts off at wide open throttle.
-S.

Originally Posted by BrandHdriver
Were you running your a/c? If so, it cost you the race. Anyway, good report...

Old 06-03-2004 | 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Quick clarification: Like Infiniti, the Acura name isnt marketed outside of the USA but, the cars are sold outside of the US. With the exception of the NEW TL, each car sold in Acura showrooms is sold as Honda abroad. (As far as Acura's fortunes, I believe the 2G TL and MDX put Acura back on the map, notwithstanding the abysmal CL and declining Integra sales.) Acura just needs to go back to actually naming their cars with----names, not codes.

While I can understand where you're coming from (in general), I dont think I've ever considered Lexus as part of any big 3 'axis of luxury'. I'm not sure who else does.

Peace
Acura is on a roll, with the new RL this will continue.
Old 06-03-2004 | 04:49 PM
Safety Car

If Lexus offered a sports sedan like the TL or TL-S for the same money... I never would have purchased a Honda product.

Toyota/Lexus quality in my experience is amazing. Four previous Camrys and 1 ES300. All rock solid till they were sold.
Old 06-03-2004 | 07:18 PM
SOLD

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
If Lexus offered a sports sedan like the TL or TL-S for the same money... I never would have purchased a Honda product.

Toyota/Lexus quality in my experience is amazing. Four previous Camrys and 1 ES300. All rock solid till they were sold.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Acura but
Old 06-03-2004 | 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PeterUbers

I'll 3rd that. I just sold my 7 year old 97 Camry this weekend to my best buddy's dad and they are having a ball with it. It has 98.5K miles on it and is still super reliable esp. when you consider that it's a city car that gets started and shut down 8 to 10 times a day in my line of work.

dsc888
Old 06-03-2004 | 11:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nothing offensive but a fact. Any magazine here or overseas will state this (as much as the Euros may dislike Lexus, they respect what they sell)..
umm.Never heard of a Honda Integra,Honda Type-R,Honda NSX in JAPAN.In the USA their are LAWS for having so many car Models under one Advertising Brand so Japan took thier upper models and NAMED them ACURA.As to Toyota is to Lexus and Nissan is to Infinati(hope i spelled that right)and Mazda well they dont have that many cars.
Old 06-04-2004 | 03:14 PM
SOLD

No you didn't spell it right, it is INFINITI, but that all depends if your talking about the endless number or a liking of somone's