Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warranty work thru Geico MBI

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:01 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
warranty work thru Geico MBI

just wondering if anybody that has geico insurance and has the multi risk coverage that includes the "mechanical breakdown insurance"? if yes, have you had to use it, for what, and was there a lot of pain involved to get the work done on the car at the dealership using OEM parts?? i don't have the acura extended warranty coverage, but do have the geico MBI coverage which they say is even better than the manufacturer's EW. anyone?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:45 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

bump!! anyone??
Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
My parents had it on their Navajo.

The transmission went out so Geico told them to take it to the shop of their choice for disassembly. Once taken apart, the adjuster came out and took some pics and gave the ok to rebuild. At one point the adjuster wasn't sure he could make it out and he was going to give the ok over the phone. It was a relatively pain free experience from what I remember.

I can't help on the OEM parts but they let us use better than OEM parts as long as it was reasonable. The entire transmission got alto blue clutches which is a considerable upgrade and tacked $250 onto the cost.

I don't think it would be any different than collision parts. When I had my TL in the shop through Geico they tried to put a $200 no name windshield and aftermarket axles in it. All it took was a short phone call to make them use OEM. I planned on battling it out with them but it took about 30 seconds and it was over.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have Geico and I'm not sure if I have this. Sad. Time for a mental update of my policy.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:30 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

my service advisor at the dealer (yes, i know, many of you don't like the dealer), actually gave me this suggestion to help offset the majority of the cost of a needed axle replacement in my 05 M/T with less than 50K. so i was very happy to find that i had been paying for this coverage since owning and insuring the car. the cost for coverage is significantly cheaper than the acura extended warranty, but you do pay a deductible per repair incident. i asked my SA if i had the acura EW if this would be covered, he said yes. so...i will be finding out first hand how this all works out in a couple of weeks when i take the car back in to get this taken care of. so if this all works out i'll actually come out ahead in terms of cost. then again it is a honda, and they usually don't break.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Update

ok, the car is at the dealer and the process is the typical insurance claim type process. so far pretty painless. of course now geico wants to try and put aftermarket/reman. axles in my car. not if i have anything to say about it. my SA knows what i want done...but we're just jumping the hoops. so geico will get my 2 cents and get them to pay for OEM parts. the upside is that it sounds like they are going to cover it. yeah! will give update as the process goes on.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
^^Wow I never heard of anything like this. I wonder if USAA offers something similar. How did everything go?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:39 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
ok, the car is at the dealer and the process is the typical insurance claim type process. so far pretty painless. of course now geico wants to try and put aftermarket/reman. axles in my car. not if i have anything to say about it. my SA knows what i want done...but we're just jumping the hoops. so geico will get my 2 cents and get them to pay for OEM parts. the upside is that it sounds like they are going to cover it. yeah! will give update as the process goes on.
hurray! i am getting new OEM axles without having to do anything. so...the dealer is working on the car right now and i'm sure the shop foreman is overseeing the work. now all i have to do is cough up the $250 deductible...which isn't a bad deal. it willbe interesting to see the invoice on what they charged for parts and labor. so for themost part the process is pretty painless. now will the car handle and drive the way its suppose to after the work has been done?? no more noises and vibrations, tighter steering...will most likely get the car back tomorrow. i don't want them rushing on my behalf. i want it done right which my SA knows. so hell take your time, i'll cruise around in the loaner.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool story
Old 11-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
TLtrigirl, just replied to you on another post and I saw this one. Glad to see Geico approved the OEM parts. Hope you don't have too many more incidents where you have to plunk down $250 every time, then the cost becomes prohibitive. I did not mention in my previous reply, I did not get MBI for my 07 TL. Once was enough. My next Acura gets Acuracare when I buy it new.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:08 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by ayanomich
TLtrigirl, just replied to you on another post and I saw this one. Glad to see Geico approved the OEM parts. Hope you don't have too many more incidents where you have to plunk down $250 every time, then the cost becomes prohibitive. I did not mention in my previous reply, I did not get MBI for my 07 TL. Once was enough. My next Acura gets Acuracare when I buy it new.
yeah...this is a honda afterall it shouldn't really break. i only have a couple of more years with this "warranty" then after that...its all out of pocket.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Final Verdict

ahhh, so nice to have my car back and driving the way its suppose to. yeah! the process was fairly painless and my dealer guys were great in taking care of it and looking out for my best interests (ie OEM parts). two new front axles and they diagnosed it right the first time around when i brought it in a month ago. no more vibrations with accelerations or accelerations out of turns or highway speeds; no more click with turning. soooo, much better.

interestingly enough, they had to come down off the parts quite a bit to accomodate geico. $210 ea (down from the MSRP of $217 and $229- who knows what the dealer mark up would be). and then labor. so bottom line the total bill that geico paid out was a little over $500 after my deductible and gas for the loaner. which is about what i will have paid for the coverage at the end of 7 yrs.

so is it a good deal? depends. still a touch cheaper than acura EW...but time willl tell if its a good deal. if you consider if i went with aftermarket parts and an independent shop...then it would have cost the same out of pocket. i paid the same but got OEM parts and the assurance that the install was (hopefully) performed to acura factory standards. thanks for reading.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:58 AM
'06 NBP TL 5AT NAV

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice work. Congratulations!