Warranty about to expire 49K, please advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006 | 01:59 PM
Intermediate

Warranty about to expire 49K, please advise

My 2004 TL non nav is about to go out of warranty.

What should I take it in for. What TSB's etc?

I appreciate the help
Old 11-02-2006 | 02:53 PM
Previous Owner

Fix any interior lights that do not light up anymore. If there's generally nothing wrong w/ your car, why get the TSB's? Is your 04 early model? There was that 2nd gear lube problem that had a recall I think.
Old 11-02-2006 | 03:30 PM
Intermediate

My car is pretty good, minus all of the usual rattles, I guess I am thinking more cosmetic than anything.

Any advice?
Old 11-02-2006 | 03:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Did you buy your car in Aug 04 too? My bumper to bumper warrenty recently expired. I brought it in for transmission vibration during 1700-2500 rpm doing 25-30mph, rear deck rattle, weather stripping on drivers side door needed to be replaced, tried to get them to give me new front seats from the butt print issue. I forgot to mention my wiper jets overspray to the rear window.

Best advice is to get a notepad and make a note of every little thing that annoys you before you bring it in.
Old 11-02-2006 | 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thorin78
Fix any interior lights that do not light up anymore. If there's generally nothing wrong w/ your car, why get the TSB's? Is your 04 early model? There was that 2nd gear lube problem that had a recall I think.
The interior lights arent covered, at least in my tl there not. The dealer did fix them tho, thinking they were covered under warranty.
Old 11-02-2006 | 04:04 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Originally Posted by ubnpast
The interior lights arent covered, at least in my tl there not. The dealer did fix them tho, thinking they were covered under warranty.
I think they are covered...
Old 11-02-2006 | 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RSA_Secure
I think they are covered...
Well i have an ext. warranty, acura said the only bulbs covered are the gauge cluster ones (lol, they found this out after replacing my 9 burnt out ones), then 2 more went out on me and I had to take out the airbag and replace them myself because they are not covered.
Old 11-02-2006 | 09:47 PM
Intermediate

I took my TL in (prior visit) and they did replace the bulbs at no charge. One of my seat warmer bulbs was out.
Old 11-02-2006 | 10:13 PM
Intermediate

I would replace the HFL unit and get the HFL delay box installed. My car is out of warranty so I had to do it myself out of pocket; the 2006 unit truly is much better.
If your dealership won't replace it under warranty, I have my old one (won't clear, won't pair) which I can send you and you can install it and then take it to the dealership and they'll HAVE to replace it cause it doesn't work.
Old 11-03-2006 | 06:50 AM
Racer

It's a bumper to bumper warranty. Why wouldn't the lights be covered?
Old 11-03-2006 | 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CobraGuy
It's a bumper to bumper warranty. Why wouldn't the lights be covered?
Thats what I have, i have 55k miles on my 04, the warranty clearly states "Parts other than genuine ACURA or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts; wiper blades; battery; cable; steering wheel; belts; hoses; timing belt replacment when performed as routine maintenance; exhaust system; CAT. conv; brake system wear items such as drums/rotors, shoes/pads, clutch disk, pressure plate; throw out bearing; external shift linkages; glass; mirror glass, body parts; body structure, panels; bright metal; sheet metal; paint; bumpers; mouldings; lenses; bulbs (except for instrument panel illumination bulbs); sealed beams; fuses; weather-strips (except for window run channels); outside ornamentation; wheel covers/ornaments; rims; studs; fastening/ securing hardware; body seals; squeaks, rattles; buttons; carpet; dash pad; window handles; knobs; review mirror; trim; upholstery; electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN HONDA AUTHORIZED ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES; tires; seat belts; airbag(s), and the saftey restraint system with the exception of the SRS Control Unit and Cable Reel. (If you believe there is a defect in these parts, please contact YOUR DEALER immediately)

Wow, that is a long list, sorry for any mispellings... I guess its up to the dealer to change out any parts they want to though for factory defects.
Old 11-03-2006 | 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ubnpast
Thats what I have, i have 55k miles on my 04, the warranty clearly states "Parts other than genuine ACURA or AMERICAN HONDA authorized parts; wiper blades; battery; cable; steering wheel; belts; hoses; timing belt replacment when performed as routine maintenance; exhaust system; CAT. conv; brake system wear items such as drums/rotors, shoes/pads, clutch disk, pressure plate; throw out bearing; external shift linkages; glass; mirror glass, body parts; body structure, panels; bright metal; sheet metal; paint; bumpers; mouldings; lenses; bulbs (except for instrument panel illumination bulbs); sealed beams; fuses; weather-strips (except for window run channels); outside ornamentation; wheel covers/ornaments; rims; studs; fastening/ securing hardware; body seals; squeaks, rattles; buttons; carpet; dash pad; window handles; knobs; review mirror; trim; upholstery; electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN HONDA AUTHORIZED ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES; tires; seat belts; airbag(s), and the saftey restraint system with the exception of the SRS Control Unit and Cable Reel. (If you believe there is a defect in these parts, please contact YOUR DEALER immediately)

Wow, that is a long list, sorry for any mispellings... I guess its up to the dealer to change out any parts they want to though for factory defects.
Sometimes, I think it depends on the dealer and your current situation. I've taken in my car for rattles\squeaks twice and it didn't cost me anything. I even got my A1 service for free.
Old 11-03-2006 | 12:22 PM
Previous Owner

By the interior lights I mean the ones that light up the Cruise, or VSA or Vol buttons on the steering wheel and dash/console. Those are usually covered under warranty, at least for the 2 different dealerships I've been to.
Old 11-03-2006 | 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thorin78
By the interior lights I mean the ones that light up the Cruise, or VSA or Vol buttons on the steering wheel and dash/console. Those are usually covered under warranty, at least for the 2 different dealerships I've been to.

Like I said, only the instrument cluster ones are (at least on the ext. warranty).

Yes, I had the sunroof, vsa, driver & pass heated seat buttons, info, the one next to info, dim, the one next to dim, and the trunk buttons go out. The dealer said it was under warranty, but after they fixed them, I found 2 more that went out which happen to be the 2 cruise control buttons. They said all the work they did was not covered under warranty, however I do not have to pay anything, and that if I wanted to get my last 2 bulbs fixed I can pay $95 per hour, or buy the bulbs and swap them out myself, which is what I did.
Old 11-03-2006 | 01:52 PM
Intermediate

HFL already replaced

Yea,

My HFL went dead, about 1 year in and I had the dealer replace it. It has been good since, no problems. Thanks for the advice, thats what Im lookin for.
Old 11-06-2006 | 09:56 PM
'16 FBP Advance FWD

How long can you wait?

I thought I read somewhere that the price for the extended warranty went up the more miles you had on the car, and that at some point you can't purchase it at all (even though the car is still under the original warranty). I'm at 4,750 and about to take a 350 mile trip this weekend and was trying to find this info again but can't.

Does the extended warranty just get "tacked onto" the end of the 4yr/50K mile warranty? Can I wait until my warranty is about to expire and then get the extended warranty? Is there any reason I should give Honda/Acura my $1100 now instead of 4 years from now?
Old 11-07-2006 | 09:17 AM
Racer

ubnpast...I believe you're talking about an extended warranty. Nuttyirishman was talking about the original factory warranty. I'm sure they're different. Bumper to bumper is exactly what it says. Outside the wear items, (and bulbs shouldn't be considered wear items) it should be covered. Shoot...on my Lincoln Aviator, they even covered warped rotors and threw on new pads at the same time with 40K on the clock!
Old 11-07-2006 | 07:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Im having problems with my HFL, it sometimes doesnt ring when someone calls. You guys think it is defective?
Old 11-10-2006 | 10:41 PM
Intermediate

No, sounds like your phone isn't quite compatible with the car. Is your phone on the acura approved list?
Old 11-11-2006 | 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

it is, its verizons v3
Old 08-26-2007 | 12:47 PM
Racer

I have an 04 TL as well. Your warranty should be extended beyond 50,000 miles due to a lawsuit against Honda. My dealer said I'm good until 52,500 miles. Honda odometers were reporting slightly higher than actual miles and this was part of the settlement. For non '04 TL owners, not all Hondas/Acuras come under this deal so you have to ask the dealer if yours does. I'm sure if you do a search you'll be flooded with info about this.
Old 08-26-2007 | 03:59 PM
acuraholic

I have a question on the class action lawsuit - can't find the answer at http://www.hondaodometerclassaction.com. It says:
"You are a Settlement Class Member if, between April 13, 2002 and November 7, 2006, you purchased or leased in the United States (including the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands) a new model year 2002 through 2006 Honda or Acura automobile, or a model year 2007 Honda Fit or you purchased a Certified Used model year 2002 through 2006 Honda or Acura automobile. These automobiles are identified in this document as “Class Vehicles"."
I bought my car used (not certified used) in Jan 2007 with 35K miles on it. Any one else in a similar situation? Does this mean if we bought the car outside of that window that we do not get the warranty extension?