Wait or not for the 2005 model year???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003 | 12:20 AM
10th Gear

Lightbulb Wait or not for the 2005 model year???

I have never purchased a new vehicle before and have heard nothing but bad info about buying a new car the first year of production. Just looking for a few comments about it. Also, I know I'm on the TL site but what would you choose a 2004 TL or a 2004 G35 Coupe both fully loaded with six speed manual tranny. I have test drove both twice now and can't decide between the two.
Old 11-21-2003 | 03:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Wait or not for the 2005 model year???

Originally posted by ricerocketdave
I have never purchased a new vehicle before and have heard nothing but bad info about buying a new car the first year of production. Just looking for a few comments about it. Also, I know I'm on the TL site but what would you choose a 2004 TL or a 2004 G35 Coupe both fully loaded with six speed manual tranny. I have test drove both twice now and can't decide between the two.
I tested both also and I didn't like the G35 cheap interior. I also like front drive as we get lots of snow.

About waiting for the next model year, I am only willing to wait until Saturday. I have seen no negative reviews about this car.
Old 11-21-2003 | 06:02 AM
Chief TL Aviator

Wait for this car???? Not ....

If you're worried, just buy an extended warranty + put your mind at ease.
Old 11-21-2003 | 06:30 AM
Instructor

Re your first question about waiting for the 2005, the answer is resolutely: YES! Never buy the first production year of any vehicle if you can avoid it. And based upon all the little glitches reported by posters here, I think that adds fuel to my argument.

As to the TL vs G35 Coupe: Tough choice. Yeah, the TL definitely has the better interior and Nav system. Front wheel drive is better in a wider variety of climates, and of course, there's the issue of whether or not you want a sedan or a coupe. If you need two usable seats in the back, well, the sedan is the way to go.

However, as much as I like the looks of the new TL, I think the G35 Coupe's looks edge out the TL. And its performance will also edge out the TL, just because its a coupe with RWD + more horsepower and torque.

So, what do you want: A refined hotrod, or a refined sports sedan?
Old 11-21-2003 | 07:18 AM
Burning Brakes

wait for a 2005 if you decide on a TL

I can't say go to Infiniti cuz I think they are ugly.

But with the crap this 04 tL is going thru, wait for them to work the bugs, then pick one up.

Creaks, rattles, wires loose, wires disconnected, MT problems, AT problems, sensor issues, alignment issues, weld issues.. Let them figure stuff out.

Old 11-21-2003 | 09:16 AM
Pro

Waiting will not get you anything. This is an 'old' type of thing that mattered when you produce a completely new car (from the ground up). Almost all cars now are a combination of parts that they have been producing for other cars for awhile.

Let me give an example. People says the engine is great and will be good for a long time. Why? It is almost the same as prior year. Others say the automatic is crap. How could they know if it is a 'new' car. Well, it is not new.

So, the TL is a bunch of parts that they upgraded (or not) and put a new skin along new electronic stuff. How much of the car is 'first year'?

And, do you think they will fix the auto tranny by next year if they have not fixed in the last 4 (number made up as I do not know how long it has been out)?

If you want a new car, buy it now. If you do not, wait till you do.
Old 11-21-2003 | 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

There's always going to be lots of negative feedback on websites. You need to take it with a grain of salt. Think about how few people are actually experiencing major problems with this car. I defy you to find another car on the market with better overall performance, reliability, repeat buyers, etc. Have you read any negative reviews in actual publications? I don't think so.

A lot of what went into the design of this car has been in development / testing for a long time, and alot already existed on the TSX or the Accord before the TL was released. I don't see Acuras and Hondas having very much first model year disasters.

Wait if you want to, but that means you are continuing to make payments or pay for repairs on a car that you seem to want to get rid of now. Why do that? Life is short. Acura will take care of any problems that might arise with the 04. I say go get your new car and live in the present.
Old 11-21-2003 | 09:38 AM
Advanced

Regaurdless of what car you buy, ranging from a Kia to a Ferrari, you will have problems. From the looks of things, the problems that have been mentioned are not that big of a deal. They can be repaired. I say get the new one, unless you want to wait about a year.
Old 11-21-2003 | 09:48 AM
Pro

I know there are people that are having problems, obviously, they're posting them here. I will say however, that when people do have problems, what do they do, they turn to the internet for answers (hence this website).

I'm either one of the few that don't have problems, or they just haven't arisen as of yet, or one of the many that don't (have problems!

All I can say is, that with the popularity that this car has and the rave reviews so far, I wouldn't be surprised that the price goes up next year, especially with the economy getting stronger and stronger. You'll see, this car will be car of the year in some magazines!
Old 11-21-2003 | 10:04 AM
Team Owner

If you have good transportation then maybe you should wait for '05.

The best reason is that you won't need to pay MSRP for the car.

Also, maybe history will repeat itself and you will get some nice upgrades that the '04 doesn't have.

99 TL. New body style. 4spd tranny, hard drive navi.
00 TL. 5 speed tranny, DVD navi
Old 11-21-2003 | 10:31 AM
Racer

If you can wait, then wait. I've learned the hard way never to get a first year model. My 03 Accord has all sorts of annoying problems which I'm sure Honda can fix in a year. Maybe by next year someone will realize those aluminum accents need to be replaced with something more durable.
Old 11-21-2003 | 03:12 PM
Racer

Originally posted by doopstr
If you have good transportation then maybe you should wait for '05.

The best reason is that you won't need to pay MSRP for the car.

Also, maybe history will repeat itself and you will get some nice upgrades that the '04 doesn't have.

99 TL. New body style. 4spd tranny, hard drive navi.
00 TL. 5 speed tranny, DVD navi
I know what you're saying here but you could wait for ever any ever year there will be something new.
Old 11-21-2003 | 03:33 PM
Instructor

Buy the car now. If you really want it, buy it. Most of the folks are plenty happy with their purchase. People who have issues, are looking for answers on this website. I would do the same thing.
I bought a 2001 MDX, which was totally brand new to Acura and I haven't had a single problem.
Old 11-21-2003 | 04:04 PM
Banned

Don't worry about the new model its a honda. Ive always bought new model hondas and have never had significant problems. Many times I've had minor quibbles which caused a short visit to the dealer but never had anything major except for a transmission replacement on my first odyssey at 36000 miles. Which took just one trip and a single day to replace! The transmission never left me stranded, it had an annoying klunk in reverse. Ive had 8 honda vehicles to date the only one that left me stranded was my 1981 civic which spit out a piston after 225k.
Old 11-21-2003 | 04:09 PM
Advanced

You have 50,000 miles for the bugs to show up if they are going to before it costs you anything but the time of taking it back to the dealer to fix. Weigh one against the other. Thrill of having it now and maybe have to spend time getting it in to get bugs worked out or wait till 2005 and hope they get them worked out without a new set of bugs showing up in the 2005 model. There are no guarantees that your 2005 wouldnt have problems and then you've waited a year and no further ahead. So if the time of seeking repairs isnt a big deal the costs should be negligible. What going to show up after 50k that didnt show up before? (Buy the damn car.....it is so sweet!)
Old 11-21-2003 | 06:21 PM
Instructor

I would wait if you can. You may also get better deals in 2005. Acura may also tweak and improve some design issues they may not have thought about for 2004.

While talking to a sales person he made it sound like Acura made the car little shorter than they wanted to by mistake hence the tight space in the rear and side mirror signal light was supposed to be there but someone messed that up also. He showed us the window sticker that said side signal mirrors to prove it. I'm not sure how much of this is true but that's what he said.
Old 11-21-2003 | 09:23 PM
Retired MOD

Wait....I'm waiting. I was one of the unfurtunate ones to buy the 99 TL, no matter what the 2004 TL is a great deal and improved from previous years like nothing else.

I feel acura wants the best sport sedan out there and many things that they want didn't make it to production for some reason or another. I have a feeling they will come out with AWD. If there is no significant difference, then I would buy a used 2004 TL for a lot cheaper than new.

If I had the money I would be driving an 04 TL right now.
Old 11-21-2003 | 10:55 PM
Instructor

...and side mirror signal light was supposed to be there but someone messed that up also.
No kidding, huh? It's hard to believe something like that gets "messed up." It seems more likely that the sticker list on the car would get messed up.

I did wonder, however, why Acura would put the signal mirrors on the TSX and not the TL. Usually stuff like that becomes a signature design element in the entire product lineup, a la Mercedes. Mind you, the new MDX doesn't have it either, and both it and the TL are built in the US, so I doubt the new TL will ever get turn signal mirrors, though I'd happily wait til '05 for that feature, cause it would help finish the car off.
Old 11-22-2003 | 12:25 AM
Instructor

No kidding, huh? It's hard to believe something like that gets "messed up." It seems more likely that the sticker list on the car would get messed up.
Yes that 's what you would think but if you think about it little deeper why would any one put something on the window sticker when that car doesn't have it unless they were told it was going to have it.

I really don't think the person doing the window sticker would just make stuff up to put on.

I'm hoping they'll have the side signal mirror and just maybe they'll consider adding electronically controlled shocks for Tour and Sport mode. I had this in my previous car (3000GT) and I really liked it. I'd leave it on tour for most of the time but could switch to sport and the shocks would get so stiff you could hit the clover leaf hwy entrance doing 50mph.
Old 11-22-2003 | 01:20 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Agree with ACURADDICT about getting a new car. I bought a 99TL with NAV - 3 months later came in into some money and traded it in for a 2000 with DVD NAV , 5 SP and 4 Air Bags (instead of 2) - after 112k miles, I had no problems with the car but I was afraid too many miles was going to make it worthless, so I traded it in and got a new 04 TL 6SP w/NAV - Just being able to input voice commands is worth the extra $2000, I don't even have to look at the screen. Plus I can modify the Video screen to accept Video/Game input (without voiding warranty - as nothing will brake.)

It's sooo sweet to be the 1st on the block with a new TL!
nothing beats that feeling, the car feels like a really luxury sports sedan, I'm happy with it. Enjoy life now, you never know if you will be dead or crippled next year! I live one day at a time, anjoy to the fullest, and your immune system will work much better!

Old 11-22-2003 | 01:52 AM
Team SSM

buy the car now, before they are everywhere