Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSA experiment

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSA experiment

Just for the fun of it, I turned it off tonight just to see how it drives like, here's my brief impressions:

First thing, there is a noticeable torque steer w/o the VSA. I can feel this when exiting corners with deeper throttle. The car generates more understeer together with some steering fightback.
Secondly the car seems to accelerate a little quicker w/o the VSA, The front tires can spin easily when stepping in the throttle, the push from the back of the seat seems to be a little harder so well.

By turning off the VSA, I had a closer feel of how torquey the engine is and how crappy the Turanzas are.
i think the VSA really helps TL in maintaining traction for daily driving, and the fact that you can switch it On/Off is a bonus for some weekend fun.

Today is my third day owing TL and Ive enjoyed every second in it. Can't wait for winter to pass then its time for some summer tires
Old 12-18-2003, 02:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: VSA experiment

Good try. I usually disable my VSA in any sunny day since December, VSA is only ON during the snowy condition, some ranny days, and the time I forgot to turn it off.

VSA does help your grip/control better and may reduce your power/torque for this purpose. And, I found out some torque steer would occur during the harsh turns or uneven roads, even when VSA is on... I don't mind having it though.

Just like to enjoy my car a little more in each opportunity I drive it, such a great car...

I like to have a choice to turn it on/off. If SS wouldn't shift automatically from 1 to 2, or have a swtich for me, I'll be happier...

P.S. VSA OFF doesn't make any different in the regular driving...
Old 12-18-2003, 03:41 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a question....

We have had some ice and snow here....

In my old car, I only had traction control. If I was to accelerate with the wheels (any) on ice, the traction control would kick in.

I have tried this to see if the VSA light comes on. The wheels seem to still spin over ice, and the VSA exclamation point never comes on.

Is somethign wrong, or does the VSA just work different than a standard traction control?

I have never seen the "light" go on...

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-18-2003, 08:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by MikeRadio

I have never seen the "light" go on...

Thanks,
Mike
It is not supposed to happen if the system really detects you're spinning tires.

Acura said:

VEHICLE STABILITY ASSIST (VSA)
The TL is equipped with 4-channel VSA that helps the driver retain control of the car in the event the vehicle reaches its dynamic traction limits, for example through aggressive cornering, encountering ice or dirt on the road, or entering a decreasing-radius corner too fast.

In the event of understeer (where the front tires lose grip), the system applies the inside front and rear brakes to increase yaw (vehicle "rotation"), slowing the vehicle and enabling it to complete the turn. Engine torque may also be reduced by coordination of the Drive-by-Wire Throttle System and Engine Controller.

The 4-channel system controls all four brakes independently. In the event of oversteer (where the rear tires lose grip), the system applies the outside front and rear brakes to decrease yaw, slowing the vehicle and enabling it to stay on its intended path.

An indicator light on the instrument panel alerts the driver whenever the VSA system is actively enhancing the vehicle's stability.

The Traction Control System (TCS) component of VSA uses sensors that monitor each of the wheels and a computer-controlled modulation of engine power and front brakes to help prevent wheel spin when starting out or accelerating. If the sensors detect wheel spin, TCS reduces engine power and applies brake force to the affected wheels. This helps the TL maintain traction during acceleration and helps the driver retain steering control, even when accelerating on slippery surfaces.

A cockpit switch is provided to disable the vehicle stability and traction control aspects of the system while leaving the ABS system fully functional.

VSA (VSA plus TCS) should be ready to monitor and help your TL. If you didn't see VSA System indicator on after starting the engine, your VSA seems working. You may need to try again. During my previous 2 hours high-speed driving in heavy rain, I never saw VSA flashing at that day. I think our VSA needs some tricks to activate it.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

...I have tried this to see if the VSA light comes on. The wheels seem to still spin over ice, and the VSA exclamation point never comes on..
If I get moderate spin (.25 seconds) the exclamation triangle lights up. I would have it checked if I was you.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Advanced

When I try to climb a snow covered hill with my all season tires, the VSA light flashes quite a bit and there is very little wheel spin. When I turn off VSA (and the yellow exclamation point stays on), the wheels spin easily. I hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Wheelspin off the line on wet or snowy pavement generates the indicator flashing on mine too, and the attendant reduction in power to keep the wheels under control. It is wierd to push the pedal down harder and feel the car slowing down!

I think the indicator should flash whenever any wheels are out of whack with one another.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: VSA experiment

Originally posted by rets

Good try. I usually disable my VSA in any sunny day since December, VSA is only ON during the snowy condition, some ranny days, and the time I forgot to turn it off.

P.S. VSA OFF doesn't make any different in the regular driving...
I never turn mine off. Even on a nice day, never know when you might hit a slick area in the road.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: Re: VSA experiment

Originally posted by scottt
I never turn mine off. Even on a nice day, never know when you might hit a slick area in the road.
Thanks. I'll be careful and take some risks for myself. My old car doesn't have VSA or TSA either. I still have to drive them though.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:40 PM
Instructor

If you guys get caught with the Summer tires on when it snows then you should turn VSA off to allow your tires to dig into the packed snow for traction. If you leave the VSA on it will only stop you from aquiring traction.

If you have all weather tires on then leaving VSA is fine. Though.. sometimes it won't allow you to "force" your way through the snow in certain situations.

But I will admit.. the VSA TCS is much different then the RWD TCS that I was used to in the Lexus IS300. I feel it doesn't catch tire slippage as much as I would like it to. Then again.. if I'm slipping around a corner then I'm obviously driving too fast or just being stupid
Old 12-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it seems something may be wrong with my VSA as I have NEVER seen that on, even trying to spin tires on ice.. and they do spin...

never see the exclamation point.. I do see it say VSA though when I stert the car...

May wait for more ice first.

Do you turn VSA OFF if you are trying to get out of an icy or snow covered parking spot and the wheels spoin or leave it on.. I used to turn just traction off.

Mike
Old 12-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Do you turn VSA OFF if you are trying to get out of an icy or snow covered parking spot and the wheels spoin or leave it on.. I used to turn just traction off.
Wish some snow next time would make your TL VSA running.

Someone may need to help explain, too. I ever drove my friend's TL, probably, 02. It's spining over the early morning snow, and I had to turn off TCS(VSA) to make its M&S tires grip then move.

Maybe it's just like what Motavar said.