Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vs. Crotch Rocket

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:29 AM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
vs. Crotch Rocket

Was driving back from the beach here in Texas and had a guy on a GSX-R rip around from behind me then get next to me and rev as he looked over. I was doing 50, rev matched downshift to 2nd and when he heard me do that, he got on it. We were neck and neck to 90, at which point I slowly start inching him. However, he's got a pick up truck in his lane, but he is STILL ON IT! I said forget this and let off so he could jump into my lane. He gave me a thumbs up. Guy had some balls. I thought he would let up when he saw me slowly pulling on him. I was in the C6 BTW.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
nice kill.
Doc, i still have the srt8 in my possession til the 18th, when do you wanna run?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
I assume that he's the 600cc one and also didn't know how to power shift. Otherwise he should jumped on you for a bit.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I sir also have a c6 and would run both of u guys.. HOUSTON TX here.. 10.7 on slicks here
Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Car Enthusiast

^good for you and good luck with your slick on street.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Bike needed a serious rider mod, lol. Even the lowly 600's trap 125 and 750's 130 + mph

Unless it was a '91-95. Those were overweight and underpowered. Those were 12 second bikes at maybe 112-115.

Last edited by anx1300c; 09-13-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Good kill OP! Nice to see a relatively stock C6 beat on a bike.

I stopped trying to figure it out a long time ago. I've spanked every 600cc crotch rocket I've ever come across and spanked them badly. I've spanked some of the older 900s and newer 750s. Going by mag times even the smaller bikes should beat me but I've had enough races with them to where it's not just driver error or an unhealthy bike. Some races were set up by both parties and not just impromptu street races.

Not to derail the thread but I do believe the OP. Bike guys have always had more excuses when they get beat than the Honda guys. I thought I was going to have to fight the other day when my friend's CL65 AMG killed a bike the the guy was practically foaming at the mouth.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Might as well post my bike kill.
I had two friends in the srt8. Bada$$VTEC sat in the rear. (Emmanuel, thanks for sitting back there)
Btw, I dont know too much about bikes. Emmanuel said it was an older 600cc.

at first, I didnt know that he wanted to run. he was sitting with me at the light, on a feeder road. moderate to light traffic. The light turned green, and I gas it to get ahead. I'm cruising along and he zips through the one or two cars and is now beside me. He Signals for me to go.
I down shift (Rev matching, of course.) to fourth and hit the skinny pedal.

Now if you ever sat behind the wheel of a challenger, you would know that there is the HUGE c-pillar blocking your view, a blind spot per se.
He stayed in my rear quarter panel until I left off for upcoming traffic.

Now that I think about it, I could have gone to third instead of fourth.

Last edited by justnspace; 09-13-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Car Enthusiast

IHC, according to your sig. I have no doubt that you can pick on the 600cc. All you need is somewhere in the high 400whp with light weight car to give a 600cc a good run. Not fan of 750s or 900s, somehow they are just the jokes. Also I am not trying to defense for the bikers, but with just exhaust the 04 R1 able to walk 1 stock R1 (same year), 2 Z06+light mods, Viper, turbo NSX, turbo M3 and a Fox body Stang (unknown mods). Didn't get any chance with fast cars after got the PCIII and intake. However, always afraid of quick launch and U-turn.

Sorry OP for went off topic.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Good kill OP! Nice to see a relatively stock C6 beat on a bike.

I stopped trying to figure it out a long time ago. I've spanked every 600cc crotch rocket I've ever come across and spanked them badly. I've spanked some of the older 900s and newer 750s. Going by mag times even the smaller bikes should beat me but I've had enough races with them to where it's not just driver error or an unhealthy bike. Some races were set up by both parties and not just impromptu street races.
From what I've seen at the strip, most bike riders are pretty crappy, especially on launch. The ones that can actually ride and get the most out of their bikes are typically in full leathers. I've watched many late model 600cc, 750cc, and 900cc sportbikes go high eleven to mid 12s. From what I've gathered, it takes balls and some skill to get a bike to 60' and launch hard.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Car Enthusiast

^ exactly, after saw a friend (very good rider) got 12 o'clock at launch and chicken out after that day. We still don't know why he got that either, was just a normal launch.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dave_B
From what I've seen at the strip, most bike riders are pretty crappy, especially on launch. The ones that can actually ride and get the most out of their bikes are typically in full leathers. I've watched many late model 600cc, 750cc, and 900cc sportbikes go high eleven to mid 12s. From what I've gathered, it takes balls and some skill to get a bike to 60' and launch hard.
This is what I used to think and what I still do to some degree but I've run so many of them and a bunch of roll races. Then again I have never run the car at it's current 3,000lb curbweight and the extra 100hp it has now so maybe it's trapping in the 130s. Either way, I've beaten bikes that should've destroyed me and even talked with some of the riders afterward. I'll still agree that I may not have run into the "right" rider yet. I'm sure a bike is much more rider dependent than a car is. You have to agree it's hard to believe I've been that lucky all these years but you never know.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vhtran
IHC, according to your sig. I have no doubt that you can pick on the 600cc. All you need is somewhere in the high 400whp with light weight car to give a 600cc a good run. Not fan of 750s or 900s, somehow they are just the jokes. Also I am not trying to defense for the bikers, but with just exhaust the 04 R1 able to walk 1 stock R1 (same year), 2 Z06+light mods, Viper, turbo NSX, turbo M3 and a Fox body Stang (unknown mods). Didn't get any chance with fast cars after got the PCIII and intake. However, always afraid of quick launch and U-turn.

Sorry OP for went off topic.
I believe you. I learned just enough about bikes to vaguely identify them. I wish I had a video of me racing my friend's bike. I can't remember what it was but he claimed it was a Hayabusa killer and I do know it was a 1,400cc bike. It was embarassing how hard he left me. Same guy on a 900 (sorry I can't remember the type) I barely beat because he's a terrible rider. I was still happy though because by the time he made up some of the space I put on him at the start he was just barely inching up on me but I got him right before the line. He definately had a slightly higher trap.

I don't want to sound like one of those ignorant drivers that thinks I can beat anything out there because I know anything can happen. But so far I've been pretty lucky.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
I don't think anyone on here thinks you're ignorant IHC.
I have always assumed street bikes will leave me behind. Maybe not, although I race less and less these days anyway.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
My car is a solid low 12 sec car right now, maybe better. The guy in the bike was running balls out. He was waiting for me in gear and he banged off the rev limiter right after I let off. If we had more room, I would have pulled on him in the 100 mph+ range.

Justin, PM me and let me know when you want to get a run in. I live in Southeast Houston off of 610....
Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2K2SilverTL-S
My car is a solid low 12 sec car right now, maybe better. The guy in the bike was running balls out. He was waiting for me in gear and he banged off the rev limiter right after I let off. If we had more room, I would have pulled on him in the 100 mph+ range.

Justin, PM me and let me know when you want to get a run in. I live in Southeast Houston off of 610....
What do you trap, mid teens? Make sure you guys film the race if you do it. GM vs Mopar lol.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I believe you. I learned just enough about bikes to vaguely identify them. I wish I had a video of me racing my friend's bike. I can't remember what it was but he claimed it was a Hayabusa killer and I do know it was a 1,400cc bike. It was embarassing how hard he left me. Same guy on a 900 (sorry I can't remember the type) I barely beat because he's a terrible rider. I was still happy though because by the time he made up some of the space I put on him at the start he was just barely inching up on me but I got him right before the line. He definately had a slightly higher trap.

I don't want to sound like one of those ignorant drivers that thinks I can beat anything out there because I know anything can happen. But so far I've been pretty lucky.
Probably a Kawasaki ZX14. They trap upper 140's stock, and low 150's with an exhaust and PC, so I could see one running away from you. I've owned and ridden numerous 600's, 750 GSXR's, R1's, CBR 900 RR's and 1000's, GSXR 1000's, 10 second Harleys and none of them has the INSTANT PULL of the ZX14. The 1000's are only a bit slower but they still can't quite give you the feeling your arms are being yanked from your shoulder sockets even well into triple digits. It's pretty intense how quickly things get blurry on one of these. Your senses are so overly stimulated and your heart is beating so fast, you can literally forget to breathe. Here's an article with some good times on one. Check out the 1.16 60' time on the Harley Davidson Destroyer!

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/157/29...trip-Test.aspx
Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
little red corvette...baby your much too fast....
Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I ride a 2006 Gsx-R 600 with K&N air filter, Pro Velocity Stacks, Cat Delete, Yoshi pipe, Spedo Healer, PC, and a Dyno tune. It takes some real balls to launch off the line hard and make that 3.5 0-60 time. Its a mental thing because there are only two wheels keeping you upright, unlike you cagers who have 4 . Ive had the rear wheel come out a little while I was braking and its the scariest thing ever. Where as when the rear comes around on a car you know for the most part your not going to highside. Regardless nice kill.
Ive stomped on a Jag XKR, its fun to hear them mash the gas and im only giving it half throttle. Also funny to think they spent all that money and something that costs 5K destroyed it. Then again when it rains they have the advantage.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Probably a Kawasaki ZX14. They trap upper 140's stock, and low 150's with an exhaust and PC, so I could see one running away from you. I've owned and ridden numerous 600's, 750 GSXR's, R1's, CBR 900 RR's and 1000's, GSXR 1000's, 10 second Harleys and none of them has the INSTANT PULL of the ZX14. The 1000's are only a bit slower but they still can't quite give you the feeling your arms are being yanked from your shoulder sockets even well into triple digits. It's pretty intense how quickly things get blurry on one of these. Your senses are so overly stimulated and your heart is beating so fast, you can literally forget to breathe. Here's an article with some good times on one. Check out the 1.16 60' time on the Harley Davidson Destroyer!

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/157/29...trip-Test.aspx
That's the one. It's a huge bike. I asked him how it cornered and never got a straight answer.

The crazy thing is I could take him to 60mph but after that it was embarassing. He had exhaust and a few other things too. According to him it's hard to keep the front tire down below 140mph.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FenixQns187
Personally I ride a 2006 Gsx-R 600 with K&N air filter, Pro Velocity Stacks, Cat Delete, Yoshi pipe, Spedo Healer, PC, and a Dyno tune. It takes some real balls to launch off the line hard and make that 3.5 0-60 time. Its a mental thing because there are only two wheels keeping you upright, unlike you cagers who have 4 . Ive had the rear wheel come out a little while I was braking and its the scariest thing ever. Where as when the rear comes around on a car you know for the most part your not going to highside. Regardless nice kill.
Ive stomped on a Jag XKR, its fun to hear them mash the gas and im only giving it half throttle. Also funny to think they spent all that money and something that costs 5K destroyed it. Then again when it rains they have the advantage.

Bikes scare me. I think I've driven my GN sideways more than I've driven it in a straight line. I'm beyond comfortable sliding it all over the place. But a bike, no way. There's so much more to think about and so much more that can go wrong. I work with a guy that's an instructor at Willow Springs. Very good rider but he won't ride a bike on the streets.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Suzuka Master

That's the one. It's a huge bike. I asked him how it cornered and never got a straight answer.

The crazy thing is I could take him to 60mph but after that it was embarassing. He had exhaust and a few other things too. According to him it's hard to keep the front tire down below 140mph.
It is big, and kind of ugly, but not as ugly as a Busa imo. I only took my friend's for a quick five minute ride and did a couple quick 60-120 blasts. It was actually pretty damn comfortable. I had full intentions of taking it for an afternoon to see if I could really get past the heft of the bike, but he ended up selling it because he got engaged soon after. I do toy with the idea of buying a used one, knowing I won't get too carried away in the twisties due its size, but I honestly don't think I would be able to hang onto my license for very long. Definitely wouldn't be throwing one of these around like a liter bike though.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Team Owner

It is big, and kind of ugly, but not as ugly as a Busa imo. I only took my friend's for a quick five minute ride and did a couple quick 60-120 blasts. It was actually pretty damn comfortable. I had full intentions of taking it for an afternoon to see if I could really get past the heft of the bike, but he ended up selling it because he got engaged soon after. I do toy with the idea of buying a used one, knowing I won't get too carried away in the twisties due its size, but I honestly don't think I would be able to hang onto my license for very long. Definitely wouldn't be throwing one of these around like a liter bike though.
You've definatley got more balls than me. It was insane the way he blew by me. I can only imagine what it would feel like on two wheels.

How do Hyabusas run compared to the ZX14? I called some fag out over on mtbr that had diarrhea of the mouth. Supposedly had a stock Hayabusa. I was going to run him fully tuned and on slicks. Should be a 9.90-9.60 setup if I could get it to hook. I was counting on him not being able to launch well. I have a feeling if he could ride he would've taken me. Too late now since my car is down but I always wondered how it would have gone. Dude acted all bad until I called him out for a heads up race for money then he did the whole backing down but trying to save face while he backed down. Of course once my car broke he called me out. I know it's off topic but it still bothers me to this day. I'm going to try and find the thread.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Burning Brakes

The crazy thing is I could take him to 60mph but after that it was embarassing. He had exhaust and a few other things too.
Did it kind of look like this? (local Kansas City 160mph+ trapping Busa turbo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tARz_...layer_embedded

There's no street car around that could hang with this thing from a roll.

Last edited by Dave_B; 09-15-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,152 Likes on 2,580 Posts
It was either rider lacked skill/balls or the bike was seriously out of tune. A 2009 stock GSXR600 will take a stock ZR-1 no problem what no ever.

Most current stock 1L sportbike are running low 10's and high 9's in the high 130MPH 1/4 mile, with lb/HP in the ~4 range extremely few vehicles on the street can touch them with the right rider.

ZR-1 11.7 @ 126.7
GSXR600 11.11 @ 132.33 mph

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...and-video.html

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/232/28...omparison.aspx
Old 09-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Intermediate

Bikes scare me. I think I've driven my GN sideways more than I've driven it in a straight line. I'm beyond comfortable sliding it all over the place. But a bike, no way. There's so much more to think about and so much more that can go wrong. I work with a guy that's an instructor at Willow Springs. Very good rider but he won't ride a bike on the streets.

Chances are your friend doesnt ride because hes uncomfortable with other people on the road, not because hes afraid of the bike. Just last weekend I was riding in PA and had some lady in a giant SUV ride my ass for a half mile. I was in the left lane doing 65 minding my own business and she had plenty of room to pass me. Im comfortable with my skills just worry about other people on the road. They tend not to see us, thats where the manuaverability comes in handy.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
It was either rider lacked skill/balls or the bike was seriously out of tune. A 2009 stock GSXR600 will take a stock ZR-1 no problem what no ever.

Most current stock 1L sportbike are running low 10's and high 9's in the high 130MPH 1/4 mile, with lb/HP in the ~4 range extremely few vehicles on the street can touch them with the right rider.

ZR-1 11.7 @ 126.7

this is what i was thinking the whole thread...

but some people just seem to think a vette is faster

congrats on the win OP, but it isnt b/c your car is faster than his bike.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
this is what i was thinking the whole thread...

but some people just seem to think a vette is faster

congrats on the win OP, but it isnt b/c your car is faster than his bike.
, yeah I agree

A 2010 Corvette Grand Sport runs 12.4 @ 115.1 which is about equal with my 1985 Honda 500 Interceptor (12.3-12.5 @ 108-112MPH 1/4) which is no match for current 600 sport bikes.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Car Enthusiast

Chances are your friend doesnt ride because hes uncomfortable with other people on the road, not because hes afraid of the bike. Just last weekend I was riding in PA and had some lady in a giant SUV ride my ass for a half mile. I was in the left lane doing 65 minding my own business and she had plenty of room to pass me. Im comfortable with my skills just worry about other people on the road. They tend not to see us, thats where the manuaverability comes in handy.

I don't like cars up my butt while I am on the bike either, but in this case; you are the one that should move. You're doing left lane camping. Right lanes are not supposed to be the passing lane.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

Sorry I was actually in the right lane the whole time. It was early in the morning when I posted this. I totally agree If I was in the left lane it would be my fault.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

ZR-1 11.7 @ 126.7

Not to nit-pick, but there are stock ZR1s out there that have gone 10.8s@130mph on OEM rubber and 10.7s@132mph on DRs. Bolt-on on a set of slicks on a ZR-1 and it's going 10.5s, no doubt.

11.7s@125mph are pretty typical for Z06s. My friends 09 C6 6MT with Z06 manifolds and mufflers, intake, and a tune is doing 11.9s@120mph with high 1.8 60 foots in 1,200' air.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Not to nit-pick, but there are stock ZR1s out there that have gone 10.8s@130mph on OEM rubber and 10.7s@132mph on DRs. Bolt-on on a set of slicks on a ZR-1 and it's going 10.5s, no doubt.

11.7s@125mph are pretty typical for Z06s. My friends 09 C6 6MT with Z06 manifolds and mufflers, intake, and a tune is doing 11.9s@120mph with high 1.8 60 foots in 1,200' air.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...99dc32b9c6.pdf

R&T got 11.5 @ 128.7 for a ZR-1

I can easily believe the 0.2 second difference Edmunds and R&T, both perform consistent testing techniques. I have a hard time believing a 0.9 second difference, that's alot for a 1/4 mile in a modern car with electronic engine management.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Team Owner

That's exactly it. He's an excellent rider, seems to have a race every other weekend at the track but the other street drivers scare him. I don't blame him.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...99dc32b9c6.pdf

R&T got 11.5 @ 128.7 for a ZR-1

I can easily believe the 0.2 second difference Edmunds and R&T, both perform consistent testing techniques. I have a hard time believing a 0.9 second difference, that's alot for a 1/4 mile in a modern car with electronic engine management.
I'm sure the conditions were stellar, but regardless, it's been done.

http://mad-fast.com/2010/04/bone-sto...n-stock-tires/

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...stock-zr1.html

As for beating mag times, my G was rated by nearly every publication to run 14.7-14.8@95-96. I went in low 14.3s@98mph in sea level air. If I could have run at some of those quick east coast tracks, I surely would have gone 14.1s stock. Usually whatever a mag says, subtract another .3 to .4 seconds for excellent driving and good conditions.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Team Owner

ZR-1 11.7 @ 126.7

I agree with your logic completely so I'm not taking offense to any of this.

I've been in too many races with bikes and beaten too many bikes that should have beaten me according to the numbers. As I said earlier they're not just random stop light encounters, a few of them have been setup with 20+ people watching.

Is it possible the riders are afraid to launch it all out on the street, probably, and I don't blame them. But I can tell you from lots of first hand experience that my car running mid 10s beat a lot of bikes that were rated quicker and not just from a dig.

I have no idea what the car has run for the past 3-4 years because it's never been to the track with the 300lb weight reduction and 100hp gain and some of the bikes I've run I can't remember if it was with the 10.6 combo or this new one.

It could come down to bikes are more rider dependent.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Team Owner

Here's another. Stock block street legal TSM car in the 9s running low 140s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkzRJnMGY20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyjeepWQIRY
Old 09-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Suzuka Master

You've definatley got more balls than me. It was insane the way he blew by me. I can only imagine what it would feel like on two wheels.

How do Hyabusas run compared to the ZX14? I called some fag out over on mtbr that had diarrhea of the mouth. Supposedly had a stock Hayabusa. I was going to run him fully tuned and on slicks. Should be a 9.90-9.60 setup if I could get it to hook. I was counting on him not being able to launch well. I have a feeling if he could ride he would've taken me. Too late now since my car is down but I always wondered how it would have gone. Dude acted all bad until I called him out for a heads up race for money then he did the whole backing down but trying to save face while he backed down. Of course once my car broke he called me out. I know it's off topic but it still bothers me to this day. I'm going to try and find the thread.
I don't follow sportbikes like I used to, but I believe Suzuki upped the ante a couple years ago to combat the big Kawi, so it's basically a rider's race.

I will say most people can't launch a sportbike that well, but of course they're not designed for drag racing. I was always well above average in the corners, able to put my knee on the pavement and slide around corners, (that took two summers of riding with a couple semi pro racers) but was only so so at launching one. Anything I could run, my buddy could automatically shave 3-5 tenths from that time. Hell, he got the bone stock 14 into the 9's after 3-4 passes, then with a pipe, PC, and lowering the front end he was in the high 9.60's. I can only imagine what a bar, slick, and airshifter set-up would have done for it.

And as far as having balls, it's really more just a series of baby steps. I rode my first street bike at 18 (an old '85 Interceptor I think) and just worked up from there. I cringe when I hear about kids getting GSXR-1000's for their first bike as a graduation present from their parents. Even today's 600's are too much for a new rider.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

I don't follow sportbikes like I used to, but I believe Suzuki upped the ante a couple years ago to combat the big Kawi, so it's basically a rider's race.

I will say most people can't launch a sportbike that well, but of course they're not designed for drag racing. I was always well above average in the corners, able to put my knee on the pavement and slide around corners, (that took two summers of riding with a couple semi pro racers) but was only so so at launching one. Anything I could run, my buddy could automatically shave 3-5 tenths from that time. Hell, he got the bone stock 14 into the 9's after 3-4 passes, then with a pipe, PC, and lowering the front end he was in the high 9.60's. I can only imagine what a bar, slick, and airshifter set-up would have done for it.

And as far as having balls, it's really more just a series of baby steps. I rode my first street bike at 18 (an old '85 Interceptor I think) and just worked up from there. I cringe when I hear about kids getting GSXR-1000's for their first bike as a graduation present from their parents. Even today's 600's are too much for a new rider.
My friend let me take his R6 for as long as I wanted it. I got to the end of my street, turned around, and parked it for the night.

I hear you on the liter bikes as beginner bikes. A friend of mine that has never ridden wanted to get a "gym bike" as he called it. Something to take on the 2 mile trip to the gym each night. It sounded like a fun idea but he wanted to go straight into the liter bikes. He's not one of those people with self control. Luckily when I decided not to get one he didn't either.

It's funny how things evolve. I remember a friend coming over with a factory turbo charged Honda, an '83 if I remember right. It was supposed to be the quickest thing of it's time. I assume it's not even average today.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:47 AM
AZ Community Team

I can believe a 0.3 to 0.4 difference but not a 0.9, that's alot of time in a 1/4. The first video didn't sound like he speed shifted, but at the same time how do we know it's a stock car?

Ever so often R&T do a write-up on how they test cars and the instrumentation and setup. Pretty informative but more importantly they try to be consistent (track, weather, drivers,...). They also do testing again on their long term vehicles. If I recall they do not speed shift but will do drop clutch launches if that works best for acceleration. The fact that Edmudns and R&T get fairly close just iterates they must be consistent in their testing.

For a MT it's more driver skill for getting the best run, I have a hard time believing the auto media are that much slower on a 1/4.

I'm sure the conditions were stellar, but regardless, it's been done.

http://mad-fast.com/2010/04/bone-sto...n-stock-tires/

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...stock-zr1.html

As for beating mag times, my G was rated by nearly every publication to run 14.7-14.8@95-96. I went in low 14.3s@98mph in sea level air. If I could have run at some of those quick east coast tracks, I surely would have gone 14.1s stock. Usually whatever a mag says, subtract another .3 to .4 seconds for excellent driving and good conditions.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:22 AM
AZ Community Team

Your last statement I entirely agree with. Rider skill is more important on a bike compared driver skill for a car (even with a MT) for getting fast acceleration. Your dealing with a lower weight/power ratio, a small fraction of contact patch, less than half the wheelbase, and to make make matters worst half the tires (and sometimes a quarter )so balance comes into play.

Jay Gleason (famous drag motorcyclist) has written several articles and a chapter or two on how to launch a street bike quickly. As you'd imagine it comes down to physics and really knowing the feel of the clutch and the engine as well as the surface condition.

I haven't raced anything on my bike in two decades, but a former colleague (Carl) had a 1999 R1 and never lost to anything on four wheels. He's a pretty modest person but a extremely capable rider. He's one of only a couple riders I know who could ride a modern liter bike to it's limits, which is a bad thing on the streets. I don't know everything he raced but he beat many Vipers and plenty of muscle cars in the DC area.

I agree with your logic completely so I'm not taking offense to any of this.

I've been in too many races with bikes and beaten too many bikes that should have beaten me according to the numbers. As I said earlier they're not just random stop light encounters, a few of them have been setup with 20+ people watching.

Is it possible the riders are afraid to launch it all out on the street, probably, and I don't blame them. But I can tell you from lots of first hand experience that my car running mid 10s beat a lot of bikes that were rated quicker and not just from a dig.

I have no idea what the car has run for the past 3-4 years because it's never been to the track with the 300lb weight reduction and 100hp gain and some of the bikes I've run I can't remember if it was with the 10.6 combo or this new one.

It could come down to bikes are more rider dependent.

Quick Reply: vs. Crotch Rocket