Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viper GPS Tracker vs. Lojack

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 05:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper GPS Tracker vs. Lojack

Has anyone had any experience with the Viper GPS tracking system? I'm considering installing one instead of the Lojack system in my TL.

I've been told that Lojack equiped police vehicles (the vehicles that actually go out to find your car) are not available everywhere across the country. Also to find the car police have to wander through the town trying to pick up the signal to find the car. Is this true?

The Viper provides a web site that will show the location of your vehicle on a street map. You can also find the address where your car is located by phone as well. The basic Viper service provides an interface with the local police if you report to them you car was stolen.
http://www.directed.com/security/viper/gps.asp
Old 12-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Viper GPS Tracker vs. Lojack

Originally posted by Starbie
Has anyone had any experience with the Viper GPS tracking system? I'm considering installing one instead of the Lojack system in my TL.

I've been told that Lojack equiped police vehicles (the vehicles that actually go out to find your car) are not available everywhere across the country. Also to find the car police have to wander through the town trying to pick up the signal to find the car. Is this true?

The Viper provides a web site that will show the location of your vehicle on a street map. You can also find the address where your car is located by phone as well. The basic Viper service provides an interface with the local police if you report to them you car was stolen.
http://www.directed.com/security/viper/gps.asp
LoJack says the GPS systems are unreliable because they do not work if the car is brought in a building or underground... and their system does.. and they say it can be disabled easily by cutting the power or the antenna connection.

LoJack has backup power if the battery is disconnected or the car is towed off.

LoJack also says they have a 95% recovery rate on stolen LoJack vehicles.. not bad.

I am not endorsing LoJack... I do have it and it exists (I don't really think much of it) but these are things that they say on their website etc...

Mike

PS - LoJack is best with early warning.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Viper GPS Tracker vs. Lojack

Originally posted by Starbie
I would say they are just an alarm system, you can pick up whatever you want for your car.

GSP has more fancy features, checking where you are, lock/unlock doors, etc. But it would be blocked by some obstacles as our XM radio system. If they move your car by truck or container, GPS definitely cannot work. I guess none of systems is workable in this situaiton.

So the critical time between thieves steal/move/tow your car and hide your car into building/underground/container would be the final determinant. As long as you can get reports/singal/notification from your alarm system during this period, you get more chance to take your car back.

If that GPS can inform your communication devices as Lojack Early Warning, sooner will be better, I don't know which system is more reliable.

For me, I'd use the one without interfering my car's electronical system. I don't know the wiring stuff, so I cannot tell how GPS system have installed, but Lojack Early Warning seems to need the power from your car only.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Pro

And let's be realistic....

A PROFESSIONAL theif steals your car to strip it down or down hatever theifs do....

Will he do it on Main Street or will he take it inside to some garage or area that does not have a sky view?

Only the LoJack will work inside... I doubt they will have a field day with your car in broad daylight!
Old 12-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The problem with LoJack is that it is not available everywhere, which I found when I researched the issue. The reality is that now that Acura dosen't have an OnStar contract anymore, and LoJack is not available in my state, I have no choice but to consider a GPS system. I've looked for other radio-based systems like LoJack to no avail. Sigh.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by neuronbob
The problem with LoJack is that it is not available everywhere, which I found when I researched the issue. The reality is that now that Acura dosen't have an OnStar contract anymore, and LoJack is not available in my state, I have no choice but to consider a GPS system. I've looked for other radio-based systems like LoJack to no avail. Sigh.
You're absolutely right. The downside for LoJack is its coverage. And, some cities inside its coverage may lack for the special vehicles to search the stealing lojack cars.

About the OnStar, I'm not pretty impressive with it. I got the long waiting for representatives many times.

Viper system is one of top GPS security models in the market, but I really got no idea how it installs into the car. That's my concern. I should go to learn the wiring stuff.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:33 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Lo-Jack doesn't work (in time)

4 months after I bought it, I got my Accord stolen with Lo-Jack at 4 am (sunday) and it took the police more than 12 hours to find it (3 blocks away from my house - they dumped it there after stripping it).

They took all leather seats, air bags, door panels.
Police told me that on that Sunday THERE WERE ONLY 4 POLICE CARS WITH TRACKERS, and they were busy tracking other vehicles, so meanwhile my car was being dismantled.
The insurance company totalled the car, because it would cost them $15.000 to replace all parts + labor - and I paid $9500 for that used Accord. (they wanted to sell it to me for $5000 with no seats!)

The best thing is to use a GPS system that uses the pager network for tracking (they even give you a password to check your car moving on a map on the web!) That system costs about $500 and they were charging for yearly usage (between $10-30
month) it may be cheaper now. just check on the web for vehicle tracking...

for example look at this:

http://www.teletype.com/pages/tracking.html

there are others, more and less sofisticated, is up to you. But DON'T GET LO-JACK....!

The Nissan dealer (where I bought my used Accord) even had a plack saying they recoverd my car in less than 24 hours! but they don't tell people, the car was useless

Lo-Jack wouldn't even tell me where they installed the device so I could recover my $700 I paid 4 months before!
Old 12-11-2003, 07:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
Lo-Jack doesn't work (in time)
The best thing is to use a GPS system that uses the pager network for tracking (they even give you a password to check your car moving on a map on the web!) That system costs about $500 and they were charging for yearly usage (between $10-30
month) it may be cheaper now. just check on the web for vehicle tracking...
Hey, that's what we've talked about. Lo-jack is bad and definitely needs to work with its early warning system together. And, as I said previously, it also relies on the searching vehicles by corporated police. No alarm system is perfect...

I'm not going to defend any alarm system. Just try to help ppl to clearify some info that may be helpful.

GPS has the issues of antenna & obstacles too. As our XM radio, you won't get signal anywhere near buildings, big blocks, bridges, tunnel, basement, or even under the trees. Also, Police seems to have to work with GPS alarm operators to search for stealing car 'cause not many police vehicles have the equipment.

Even the GPS recovers the car and it is useless, the company would do the same advertisement.

Very important thing is: everyone should test your alarm monthly to make sure it's working.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:40 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

I got the solution!

Just install an AUTO TEASER!

http://www.electromax.com/perprot.html (down 1/2 of the page)

At least will prevent theaf a little better than Lo-Jack.
& you Need to get even sometimes...
Old 12-11-2003, 08:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
I got the solution!

Just install an AUTO TEASER!

http://www.electromax.com/perprot.html (down 1/2 of the page)

At least will prevent theaf a little better than Lo-Jack.
& you Need to get even sometimes...
It's so cool. Never really see someone uses it before. Please tell us how good it is.

Don't you worry if it zaps you by mistakes. :p