Sponsored by:

Very frustrated with purchasing new TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very frustrated with purchasing new TL

Hi guys,

I just joined this wonderful community (I've read some of the people's responses) and I was pleasantly surprised how supportive and helpful people are here.

Well after the introduction, I have a few things to ask.

I've placed a $4k downpayment and finished all the negotiations about the rest of the financial things for my 6spd 05 TL w/navi 3 weeks ago, but it seems that in the whole of Arizona there isn't one 6spd TL. I told them that I am either looking for blue ext/camel leath. colors or silver ext/black leather, but they tell me that 6spd is very rare and that people usually put this car on order and wait for 16-18 weeks while it's being built. My Phoenix, AZ dealership looked at Cali, Colorado and Utah and couldn't find it there too. This really sucks, is this a usual thing with TLs? I'm very frustrated.

On top of that, they found a few cars in Texas, but they are asking me for additional $1500 transportation fee. APSURD! Now I even told them, just give me any color combination except white, red and green. Anything else would do and still nothing.

I called Acura Client Services last week and complained that this is really bad for them and that for a car that I'm suppose to pay almost $40k with A-Spec and taxes , I shouldn't wait this long. That was last week and still no response from Acura as well. Is this bullcrap or what?

I mean seriously, I can drive away from a lot of Infiniti or BMW same day with the car. I'm loosing faith in Acura and I'm seriously starting to consider getting my money back and going with another brand. I love the TL, but this is becoming a nightmare. It's been almost 4 weeks alltogether and I'm still nowhere near getting my TL. The latest is that my dealership told me that they will have a definite answer on when I can expect my TL at the end of April. WTF!?

Please tell me that this is not a usual thing or give me an advice on what to do.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Intermediate

I generally prefer a manual trans as well, but opted for auto on my TL. While shopping for mine in southern California, I came across several 6MT on various dealer lots over a period of a couple months: 2 at the dealer closest to me (Mission Viejo), and 4 at Tustin Acura. One at Tustin was Red, the rest were NBP or Anthracite.
As for the $4K down payment, I started negotiations with Downey Acura - they wanted only $300 to hold a car. I ended up buying from Mission Viejo Acura, they held the car I wanted with no deposit at all after having established a rapport with the salesman.
As for not knowing what they'll have until end of April, sounds like a line. From what I understand, dealers don't know what's being delivered until they're being built - and that's usually only a few weeks advance notice. From the time the dealer gets build details until taking delivery is probably 4-6 weeks, I believe they have a VIN number on the car a week to 10 days prior to delivery. In short, if they're telling you they'll know in April, they likely don't know at all and just hoping they see one slated for delivery (to your dealer or another) between now and then. They can see what's slated to other dealers and if the one you're looking for is destined for a dealer that doesn't already have it sold, can redirect the shipment.
From my experience, you have better luck with larger dealers. For kicks, you might try calling Falconis in Vegas (no personal experience), or Downey Acura in Downey CA for stock or slated delivery. The internet sales manager at Downey is Cheryl Sauer, very helpful.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:57 AM
Intermediate

Thank you socalshyguy. I had a feeling that it might be a line and that themselves are shopping for the best deal they can grab so they make more money on me. I got quoted $34,700.00 for 6spd w/Navi without additional accessories. They do include in this price, tinting, wheel locks and side moldings or whatever it's called.

I might actually call and ask around those dealerships you mentioned and just see if there really isn't any 6spd manual in So. Cali.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:05 AM
Intermediate

The price isn't bad at all. The TL is super hot in So Cal, so prices are definitely better in some areas. I got $33,900 for the car with protection package (fairly common) which includes wheel locks, trunk tray and splash guards - no tint. Tinting all windows ran me $280 including covering (or was it replacing?) the hard rubber inner that will scratch tint, ceramic on the rear (don't let them put metallic on the rear, it may adversely affect the NAVI). Bottom line, the price they quoted isn't bad if they do a quality tint job. And if you find a 6MT in So. Cal, don't be surprised if it's a bit higher. If you call, ask for Internet Sales or you'll get quoted list price only.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Your waiting period seems normal, IMO. However, I'm not sure if 6MT '05TL Navi Blue/Camel or Silver/Black is this hot. Many forum members here have ever waited for 1~4 months in the past. Based on the productions history in the past 20 months, Acura Marysville plant doesn't produce all models/combo evenly at the same time. The demands of the market and dealer's allocations seem to be one of the main factors in conjunction with their production schedules.

Sorry to hear that your Acura dealer isn't able to locate a car for you and fail to provide the satisfying answers and solutions for you.

If you decide to wait for it, I hope this coming 6MT TL will be trouble-free and terrific tune-up.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:08 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Search is your friend.

Glad you decided on a TL, sorry it wasn't sitting somewhere waiting for you. It's not unusual to have to wait for a while but it really sounds like you need to help yourself to some internet shopping. Dealers can trade each other for different cars if they can find what you want at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. Do some homework with your idle wait time, become a little proactive. Your dealer dosen't sound that good to me.

Didn't anybody tell you anything worth having is worth waiting for? Seriously, Acura keeps production down to keep prices up I think. If you are willing to settle for whats in stock just go buy a G35 or Mustang or something. The buying experience can be pleasant but finding a large inventory just ain't happening right now with this car. If you want a TL decide on one or two color combinations and other options and don't settle, long term it should be worth it IMHO.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:26 AM
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Well you see, this is what the problem is. I feel that by the time I get the car I would be angry that I didn't get a '06 model. Why would I pay the price of the new '05 model when by the time I get it, probably '06 models will start showing up or will at least be announced. As we all know at that point the '05 model prices will definitely go down. Not much since it's Acura, but still enough to get me upset.

MR1, I do search, but unfortunately all internet searches get me back to these 2 dealerships in AZ (Bell Acura - which is the one I deal with and Acura of Tempe). CarsDirect, Cars.com and a few others all have probably agreements with these 2 dealerships. I already talked to Acura of Tempe and they told me pretty much the same thing and that I might get my car in May at the earliest.

I'm not really nitpicking, but if I need to wait 2 months at least for a car, it better be flawless car and judging by a lot of people the TL is far from perfect in terms of build. It's a great car don't get me wrong and my heart aches that I can't get it sooner but I'm just gonna go crazy if I wait and I get a car that has rattle and similar problems on top of this wait. I hope you know what I mean.

And as far as G35, the only G35 I would get is coupe and it's definitely not a bad car or a cheap car. It can't compare to TL in terms of interior, but damn it, that's the only car that can fit TLs category, everything else is no match. And btw, G35 Coupes are all over the parking lot at the closeby Infiniti dealership. You can find whatever your heart wants in terms of ext/int colors 6spd or auto, w/Navi or w/o and drive off right away. This is actually what pisses me off even more. Damn Infiniti has cars and Acura doesn't. Argh.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:30 AM
Intermediate

Another thing why I'm upset is that I'm all ready to order the RonJon body kit and wheels and everything else, already spoke to Rondy about what I want and prices and no car. Now, the body kit is almost finished and in very limited quantity, and I just can't pay RonJon and reserve the kit, before I actually know if I'm gonna get the TL or not. This is killing me.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:44 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I feel your pain. I was told my would take 4-5 weeks back in November. At week three I stopped by the dealership to check my progress and a Blue one has just been delivered. I drove it home that evening and have not looked back.

By searching I meant this forum for suggestions. You can also search the net for all of the Acura dealers in a given state, As mentioned, some of them have inventories posted on their web sites and all have internet managers. I live in a city that not long ago had maeby one of each dealer. To get a reasonable price I have traveled up to 500 miles and saved thousands, If this is a typical year for Acura, we will not see the '06 before October. Good luck with your search.

Oh, also insist on a test drive of your chosen vechicle prior to signing all papers.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:28 AM
people die violently.

its weird before i bought the tl i went to few acura dealerships. for example keyes and power acura offered me manual that they had in the lot with navi and i said no! i was looking to auto. finally i got it from santa monica
Old 04-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Burning Brakes

nfinity,
I hope everything will be resolved quickly and painlessly. I have always believed that if you want to buy something, don't settle for less. If you want certain exterior and interior color, then wait for it. Be patient or get your money back, because you might just regret the color you got or the 5AT you never wanted in the first place. 6MT is so much better than 5AT, the experience is quite different, in 5AT, I felt like I am in every other car, just hit the gas and go. With 6MT, you are actually controlling the engine.

If I were you, I would wait When the day the car arrive... you'll be happy!
Old 04-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
The car is worth the wait.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Instructor

hey...i know how you feel...had to wait 2 months for my NBP ebony navi 6MT. its no lie...its rare...but to get exactly what you want you have to wait..shoot I waited 3 months for my BMW when I first bought her
Old 04-05-2005, 09:07 AM
iLL TL 4U2Try

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
nfinity,
. 6MT is so much better than 5AT, the experience is quite different, in 5AT, I felt like I am in every other car, just hit the gas and go. With 6MT, you are actually controlling the engine.

Couldn't have said it any better!
Old 04-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i actually have a 6 speed with navi TL in white ordered. my dealer told me it would take 4 weeks and that it would definitely not take longer than that. i just had to put $500 refundible deposit. got it for $33,000 even with only wheel locks, but i plan on askin him for rubber floor mats also. i certainly hope it doesn't take longer than 4 weeks. but the wait is worth it if i get all the options i want. man that test drive was soo sweeet!! i went to montclair acura DCH. very good dealership so far.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Advanced

nfinity,

I recently bought an 05TL 5AT in SoCal.
My dealership was great. They were honest and sincere. They really went out of their way to assist me and my fiance with our needs.
If you want, give them a call and see if they can help you out also.
Here is the info:
Sierra Acura
(626) 284-8533
Ask for Sam Yeung. Mentioned to him that Mike from NY and June sent you. Also that you're from the TL Forum.
PM me, I'll try to help you out.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Intermediate

Thanks SHRXTC, I'll PM you a bit later today and call them.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:30 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Well if you would consider other cars and coupes too, then why not look at the 03 CLS 6 speed? I have one and the 04/05 TL 6MT drives the same. But only 3000 were built, 800 had Navi. You may just want to buy new, don't know. good luck.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:47 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
nfinity,
I hope everything will be resolved quickly and painlessly. I have always believed that if you want to buy something, don't settle for less. If you want certain exterior and interior color, then wait for it. Be patient or get your money back, because you might just regret the color you got or the 5AT you never wanted in the first place. 6MT is so much better than 5AT, the experience is quite different, in 5AT, I felt like I am in every other car, just hit the gas and go. With 6MT, you are actually controlling the engine.

If I were you, I would wait When the day the car arrive... you'll be happy!
The gas peddle/your right foot controls the engine.......

This is the same for both 5AT or 6MT