Sponsored by:

Various Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 07:56 PM
FLYi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Various Questions

Hi,

I've been lurking here for about a year now and been looking forward to picking up a TL. Just yesterday I went to Acura of Mission Viejo for a test drive. I went alone, and being 19, the guy at first didn't seem to want to let me go for a spin. But when I pointed to my current car (Lexus SC430) he took me a little more seriously. Anyhow, I really enjoyed the drive, though our route was congested and he didn't have any test material for the sound system. I came away from test drive with a number of questions, so if you have any answers (or can refer me to an appropriate thread) I'd appreciate it.

1. Manual transmission: I have never driven stick but I get the feeling it'd be a lot of fun in this car. I have a friend with a WRX who has offered to teach me how to work a MT Is this a good idea if I don't have a ton of time to learn/master stick? I don't want to step into the TL and be in over my head. And one final question about MT- does anyone who got it regret taking MT over AT?

2. Colors: I think the car looks great in black, but I'm a little afraid of what Chicago winters will make it look like. My current car is black but I drive it in Southern California so keeping it pretty isn't too difficult. Let me know how tough it is to keep a black TL looking good. Also, what interior color would you vote for to go with NBP?

3. Dealers/pricing in the Chevy Chase, MD area: I'll be picking up my car in this area, where I'm interning for the summer. I plan on having my father arrange the purchase so I can step into the dealership and drive away the car. Service/loaner cars and things of that nature aren't a huge deal because I'm only in the area for the summer. I want a good deal and no hassles, so who would you recommend? Also, what kind of prices have people been paying recently (please mention if price is out the door or pre-fees) in Maryland/DC/Northern VA? And will I have any difficulties finding a 6MT/Navi if I decide to go that route?

4. Fun in DC: What can a 20 year old who's spending the summer as a technical intern in Washington, DC and living with his grandparents do for fun, outside of spending every weekend at the Smithsonian?

Any comments on the above or general tips greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Justin
Old 06-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what you do, do not buy your car from Chevy Chase Acura.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:09 PM
6MT & LSD

hmm.. i can only answer 1 or 2 questions.

the TL is my first MT car, although i've driven a couple of my buddies' here and there. absolutely no regrets. if you're an average male, you won't have much problem learning at all.

black is nice if you can keep clean... but in the midwest & northeast, it's rather difficult to do that. but, as long as you avoid the automatic car wash, you should be ok.

if you can pick up the car in NJ, check out DCH Montclair (the official dealership of AZ).
Old 06-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Well I can answer 1 and 2 for you

For the transmission.. I'm not sure if I would invest 30k into my first MT, however, it is an extraordinarly easy clutch to learn on. The MT is extremely fun to drive and no matter what people say, the SportTronic or whatever they call it this year is not even close to a MT. The feel is awesome.

For color, I am in the same boat as you, cept im in Boston. With that said, unless you get silver, your car will always show the salt in the winter and pollen in the spring. I ended up choosing Rodondo Red Pearl, but because it was unique, not because of the maintenance. I wash my car every saturday and dont mind waxing often. The Blue and Gray are also sweet colors, with the Blue and Black the most burden to maintain.

Good luck with your purchase. I have had my 05 Aspec for a little over 3 months and look forward to driving it every day. Couldnt have made a better decision. Oh yeah, the NAV is sweet, well worth the money for the GPS, Screen and Voice Commands.

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
manual transmission... takes a day to learn and a lifetime to master.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Suzuka Master

TL prolly wont compare with the SC no matter what you do. BTW, I love those rims. If you get a TL I would recomend the MT, more fun, more sporty, if it breaks its cheeper to fix, but if you are no good so by by to your clutch in the city.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
TL prolly wont compare with the SC no matter what you do. BTW, I love those rims. If you get a TL I would recomend the MT, more fun, more sporty, if it breaks its cheeper to fix, but if you are no good so by by to your clutch in the city.
Define "cheaper to fix".

At least automatic transmissions don't have to deal with clutch jobs, which are expensive.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:18 AM
FLYi

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try out my friend's WRX and see how I like the manual. If I like it I guess I'll push for the 6MT, though my dad seems very against it.
Any more feedback on the above points greatly appreciated!
Old 06-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Suzuka Master

I believe it is cheaper to repair a manual then an auto, assuming you don't require multiple clutch replacements.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

Your first question about the 6MT - No regrets about it, IMO it's more fun to drive. I don't know what the traffic situation would be for you, but it's one of those nagging questions - "Do I want to be in stop and go traffic with an MT?" I think that reason alone would deter an individual from getting it. Most of the folks who have the 6MT have been driving manuals for a long time and traffic is not a factor. I would suggest learning to operate an MT and drive one for about a week in normal and heavy traffic. Then reasess your situation and then make a decision.

Your second question as to what color combo - NBP/Ebony is a beautiful color, definite eye catcher and shows the beauty and lines of the TL. However, that is the hardest color to maintain and upkeep. I say go with your first choice, if you don't, you'll regret it. As far as the winter on the east coast, any vehicle will be a bitch to keep clean, especially the dark colors. Regardless of the color you choose, it's still a beautiful car. Good Luck in your choice.