3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on WDP bumper Repaint...Not Good!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 03:20 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
just as an FYI, the plastic bumpers aren't primered, so the paint color will appear darker on lighter colors due to black plastic underneath. Thats what an independent body shop told me when i asked them the cost for a repaint because my front and rear are slightly mismatched.

Hence my comment/experience stated above:

"If you don't seal/prime a rubber/plastic piece it can easily change the color of the paint"

Definitely something you would think Acura/Honda would "want" to remedy

Cheers
Old 05-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got an estimate from a body shop today to fix a shopping cart dent so I took the opportunity to ask him about the mismatch. All he really had to say was that it was because the plastic bumper takes the paint differently and that the flake sits differently on it.

He showed me a few other cars in the parking lot with the same problem. I think we need to chill out.

boxstock
Old 05-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well finally got it back today. It's now a shade whiter than the rest of the car. They tell me the paint will cure and it will get darker over a months time, is this true?

Brought it back to me with NO GAS, and a dirty Taupe leather drivers seat, looks like someone with their work pants has been getting in and out. I am filing a complaint, this is retarded. This will be my last Acura, I love the car, but it's not worth this, BMW for me next time.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^Funny how Acura is not losing future/repeat customers due to its cars but its crappy service (Im one of the lost...)....Something that they can really easily capatalize on, but meh.....
Old 05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crissy78
Well finally got it back today. It's now a shade whiter than the rest of the car. They tell me the paint will cure and it will get darker over a months time, is this true?

Brought it back to me with NO GAS, and a dirty Taupe leather drivers seat, looks like someone with their work pants has been getting in and out. I am filing a complaint, this is retarded. This will be my last Acura, I love the car, but it's not worth this, BMW for me next time.

And I don't think the paint will get darker.

Sorry you're having such a tough time.

boxstock
Old 05-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Instructor

I'm going to take some pics in just a sec, I'm too pissed to do anything right now. I am filing a complaint, I know it will not do any good. But thank God I leased the car. I love the car, just want a car that all the parts match. This has been a terrible experience. Probably the worst experience ever.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Instructor

I'm going to take some pics in just a sec, I'm too pissed to do anything right now. I am filing a complaint, I know it will not do any good. But thank God I leased the car. I love the car, just want a car that all the parts match. This has been a terrible experience. Probably the worst experience ever.
Sorry to benefit at your expense, but your experience has made me feel so much better about not worrying about my mismatched bumpers.

boxstock
Old 05-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Well it doesn't look worse, it looks a little better, but not perfect, and I'm still not happy.

Can someone tell me how to post my pics on here, I've never posted pics?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Well it doesn't look worse, it looks a little better, but not perfect, and I'm still not happy.

Can someone tell me how to post my pics on here, I've never posted pics?
I host my pics on an account at photobucket.com

Then you can link them into your post.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Team Nighthawk member

sorry to hear about your experience. Just so you know, from experience, that BMW will give you some headaches as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Instructor

I have them saved on photobucket, what do I do from that point to post them here. Sorry about all th questions, I've just never posted pics on here before.

Of course, I'm stuck because I'm leasing, I know you can't really get out, so when my lease ends, I'll turn the car in and buy a used car, I'm finished with the headaches of dealing with expensive cars. It's like having another kid.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Brought it back to me with NO GAS, and a dirty Taupe leather drivers seat, looks like someone with their work pants has been getting in and out. I am filing a complaint, this is retarded.
Sorry for the bad experience, but did you tell them about the dirty leather on your driver's seat while you were there?? I am sure they'd have cleaned it for you.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I have them saved on photobucket, what do I do from that point to post them here. Sorry about all th questions, I've just never posted pics on here before.
type this:
[img]your link[/img]
Old 05-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Instructor

They brought the car to me at work. The guy who brought it took 2 hours to find my workplace. I am going to complain again tomorrow, It looks unacceptable. Who would you guys recommend that I contact. The service manager or someone higher up? I received a card in the mail asking me to call in and tell them how i felt about my service? Should I call that??
Old 05-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Instructor

After Pics

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
That does look bad - any before pictures to compare
Old 05-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Before Pics

The bumper was much more yellow than the pic, It was terrible, It's like I flipped the colors around now. What am I going to do??[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Advanced

Best of luck to you.

I had my NBP TL repainted a week after I got it ... 300 miles and all the horizontal surfaces repainted... Only to get it back with overspray, swirl marks/fine scratches from someone who didn't know how to use a buffer, paint on rubber trim, white tape showing on the spoiler... Needless to say, it went back 4+ times and to this day, there's still specs of dust in the paint that you can see when you detail it or if you know it's there. To fix the rubber trim, the winshield has to come off -- with the skill my dealerships body shop has demonstrated, I'm afraid to have them fix that. Don't get me wrong though, everyone at the dealership has been friendly except for the sales manager.

Here's a question.. Has anyone ever had their TL's paint worked on by an Acura dealership and not had horror stories to tell?

Dan
Old 05-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Here's a question.. Has anyone ever had their TL's paint worked on by an Acura dealership and not had horror stories to tell?

Great question above, I'd like to know this too, I've never read anything where someone said that they were very pleased with their paint. I'm calling the service manager in the morning. He said he was going to look at it before he sent it back. If cannot believe someone would send back a car like this....I should have gone with BLACK !!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:30 PM
User-N-Abuser

Unhappy ITs a lease and you took delivery.

I have a WDP and I knew about the paint issue before I purchased from all the posts on this website but I loved the rest of the car so much that I'm just dealing with it. After everything you put the dealership through with the repaints, I think you should suck it up at this point. It's a lease and you picked it up and drove off the lot and you weren't disgusted with it then. After all those repaints its barely a new car anymore and when they take the car back the next owner is going to wonder why the hell they have 3 different shades of white. SOrry just my two cents. I love WDP.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Instructor

It is a lease, but should the ones of us who lease not expect the same quality in the paint. It's not a unreasonable request to want the parts of the car to match. I'm not trying to argue, but I could care less about the next owner, that's one good thing about the lease. I always take superior care of my cars; they repainted it under warranty so they can eat it if they have a hard time selling. This is my sixth Honda product and my LAST! The complaints tomorrow will probably not help me, but I'm going to voice my opinion.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Yowzer. It did look better before.

Here's how mine looks:

That's just about the "best" lighting/angle if you want to see the mismatch.

Like I said though, once you just accept it, you'll sleep better.

See, doesn't look that bad when you aren't looking for it:

Old 05-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blazinginder
Call Acura Client Care Services: 1 800 382 2238...and file a complaint don't wait for them to paint it AGAIN and come back with the same results....

...tell them that it's absurd that you have to deal with THIS kind of issue on a new car and if they simply say they'll fill out a complaint about the situaiton, ask to speak with a supervisor and go off on them
...I would first try my hardest to get to them taking the car back and giving you another TL in a different color of your choice...if that doesn't work I'd threaten with a lawsuit against the manufacturer....as a last ditch effort I'd want to be reimbursed for the payments made thus far and not have to pay any of the lease payments for any number of months until the car is in my hands in respectable/ NEW condition
I should have listened to you and not been so nice about this!! What would you do now?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:58 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
The only person that is going to really notice your car on the road is me because i always stare at TLs when i see them on the road....and i probably won't be looking at the mismatch so don't beat yourself up about it.

Another option that might ease your pain is to have the A-spec kit installed which will hide half of the bumper and take your center of attention away from the mismatch.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:32 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Man, before and after both suck...sorry to see that. Some WDP's are definitely worse than others. I didn't even notice mine until I started coming to this site and saw it mentioned; other people who know of the issue and have seen my car have remarked how my bumpers almost match properly. At the other end of the spectrum, I've seen pics of ones that are worse than yours.

Are any of these cases acceptable? No. Tolerable, yes, but acceptable, no...yours especially. I would complain first thing this morning. Start with the service advisor/manager and work your way up.

Oddly enough, I am in the same boat as ACCURATEin: I'm always checking out other TL's, but never notice this aspect of them. The ASPEC kit does help...for some odd reason, it is a perfect match to the body.

Eric, I've noticed you've been parking your car in front at work the last few days...probably against policy, but you should do it more often...your car looks great and I like seeing it on my way home from work (even if only for a few fleeting seconds as I fly down South).
Old 05-09-2007, 07:36 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn! That's the best they could do? Hell naw! I saw someone on here really get a nice look on their's after constantly complaining about it. I'll see if I can dig 'em up!

WDP...gets 'em everytime!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Find another WDP on their lot with a bumper close to what you would like to see and ask them to swap the bumpers ......

I doubt they will but heck ya never know.......
Old 05-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by darksom1
WDP...gets 'em everytime!
I've seen your posts...you have a deep seated desire to have WDP but your pride would never let you admit you got the wrong color. It's ok...you're among friends...you can be honest with us.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SteveP66
Find another WDP on their lot with a bumper close to what you would like to see and ask them to swap the bumpers ......

I doubt they will but heck ya never know.......

Seriously...I agree...if you are unhappy with this bumper, screw getting another repaint, just ask for a new bumper via swap...Ive heard of dealers swapping wheels if a customer liked ones that were on another car (toyota), so its worth a shot...
Old 05-09-2007, 07:45 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
I've seen your posts...you have a deep seated desire to have WDP but your pride would never let you admit you got the wrong color. It's ok...you're among friends...you can be honest with us.
I need a 12-step program?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chill_dog

Why would I try to have it fixed if I just hated the color of the car. I love the color, I just want a uniform paint job!!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Why would I try to have it fixed if I just hated the color of the car. I love the color, I just want a uniform paint job!!
Relax - he's joking with you
Old 05-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

That comment was for darksom1...hence my quoting him. I know you love WDP (who doesn't?), and can appreciate you wanting a uniform paint job (if I keep the car, it's something that I will address myself). Good luck with your next step...and if I see a TL with a neon white bumper, I'll wave
Old 05-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Couldn't be happier!

I really feel for you man. When I first bought my sub 40K car in December I was thrilled until I noticed the trademark 'color mismatch' about two weeks into ownership. I discussed the options with my service tech and they (Gillman Acura, Houston) were extremely helpful in sharing the options and information that surrounds this issue. They stressed the fact that this is the most common complaint on ALL of their colors and it's simply due to the 'paint flexor' addative that is put into the paint for the bumpers. But... we all know the issue, here's my

You asked if anyone has any good news stories surrounding getting a respray and I fall into that category. Check out the thread I made here: https://acurazine.com/forums/moderators-only-20/whoswho-vendor-multiple-ip-aliases-151924/

Althought it's not perfect, I feel like it is much better than it was straight off of the lot. Unfortunately in your case, I think the issue is solely with the expertise and experience of the body shop doing the work. Gillman eluded to the fact that they had done what I asked them to do 'hundreds' of times so I take it that they had a pretty good idea of what needed to be done and the process to get the paint to match more closely.

From the pics you posted of their attempt to correct the problem, it seems that they went WAY to light on the bumper, omitted some of the pearl and metal flake, and thought that it would blend better. The only thing I can suggest is that you ask them to call around to other dealerships to ask what their processes are. Suggest them to call Gillman Acura in Houston and see if they will share information about how they matched the paint more closely. Show them the thread I made and the pictures and they will get a feel for the idea that it IS possible to match the bumpers correctly.

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Well I just went out at lunch and was looking at the bumper again, they did a decent job painting but it just doesn't match. While looking I see that my left rear tail light is scratched beyond belief, what the hell is going on with Acura. Not to mention my drivers seat leather is filthy. I'm calling back.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Instructor

update?

boxstock
Old 05-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel for you because I've heard so many people that have WDP and have this issue say not to worry about it. I'm sorry but 1) This model has been out since 2004 and they still can't get this paint issue resolved. 2) When I pay over $30k for a vehicle my expectations change accordingly.

I recently had this issue rectified at Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA and I have to say that I was extremely impressed with the quality of the job they did on my WDP paint mismatch. I will try to take a pic when I can so that you can see it is indeed possible to match the bumpers to the rest of the car. Don't give up!! I came from a BMW and I told the service manager and the Acura Corporate rep that I met with that the only time I had to visit the dealership in 3 years of ownership was to get some oil, purchase a key ring, etc. Keep the faith!!

Great question above, I'd like to know this too, I've never read anything where someone said that they were very pleased with their paint. I'm calling the service manager in the morning. He said he was going to look at it before he sent it back. If cannot believe someone would send back a car like this....I should have gone with BLACK !!
Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They won't do it because the VIN number is on the inside right of the bumper if you raise the trunk you will see it. The VINs won't match and then you would have a whole other can of worms to deal with.

Originally Posted by ankur914
Seriously...I agree...if you are unhappy with this bumper, screw getting another repaint, just ask for a new bumper via swap...Ive heard of dealers swapping wheels if a customer liked ones that were on another car (toyota), so its worth a shot...
Old 05-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Instructor

I know that the Lemon Law usually applies to mechanical issue, but do you think she can possible get them to swap the car under the Lemon Law for a paint issue? Anyone, anyone, Bueller?
Old 05-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Originally Posted by mpressive
They won't do it because the VIN number is on the inside right of the bumper if you raise the trunk you will see it. The VINs won't match and then you would have a whole other can of worms to deal with.

I understand what you are saying but if the bumper were replaced due to an accident the VIN stickers wouldn't match either........

Quick Reply: Update on WDP bumper Repaint...Not Good!