Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update - Dealer visit

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update - Dealer visit

Got my car back this afternoon from the dealership.

1. Slight vib @ 50 when tires cold - dealer did not find any vib @ 50 or higher. Not surprised since the vib is negligible once the tires are warm. I can live with it until this tire gets worn since the vib is suttle and almost disappears when warmed.

2. Memory issue. - Of course, can't replicate.
They re-set driver #2 (which was lost and I did not reset it). I had both keys with me. Driver 1 was re-set last Saturday (2nd time since I got the car). I might have to come back again once it disappears again.

3. No start on first crank. This only occurs once every 10 - 14 days so not surprised that they can't replicate. I can't even replicate it. To me, this is more a report to their records, wasn't surprised we the results.

This appt was with Concord Acura. I still have to return to Oakland Acura this Sat. for my license plate clip and battery cover (hopefully the order comes in). I might ask them to check the vib too. I'll be hounding them about my front plate hole covers too.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Regarding the no start on first crank -

Have you tried pausing when starting the car with the key in the on position before going to start? The fuel pump may need a second or so to bring the fuel pressure up.

Mike
Old 01-06-2004, 10:51 PM
Racer

Re: Update - Dealer visit

Originally posted by mrtech
Got my car back this afternoon from the dealership.

1. Slight vib @ 50 when tires cold - dealer did not find any vib @ 50 or higher. Not surprised since the vib is negligible once the tires are warm. I can live with it until this tire gets worn since the vib is suttle and almost disappears when warmed.

2. Memory issue. - Of course, can't replicate.
They re-set driver #2 (which was lost and I did not reset it). I had both keys with me. Driver 1 was re-set last Saturday (2nd time since I got the car). I might have to come back again once it disappears again.

3. No start on first crank. This only occurs once every 10 - 14 days so not surprised that they can't replicate. I can't even replicate it. To me, this is more a report to their records, wasn't surprised we the results.

This appt was with Concord Acura. I still have to return to Oakland Acura this Sat. for my license plate clip and battery cover (hopefully the order comes in). I might ask them to check the vib too. I'll be hounding them about my front plate hole covers too.

Your second point seems to be a small problem everyone is having. I understand Acura is working on a fix.

Your third point is commented on in the manual. The new emmision standards that our car meets may cause the car not to start on the first crank. I had that happen to me a couple of times when I first purchased the car. I alleviated this situation by holding the key turned to start for a longer period of time. Please try this the next time you sense that the car won't turn over and see if it works.

Greg
Old 01-06-2004, 11:01 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by svtmike

Have you tried pausing when starting the car with the key in the on position before going to start? The fuel pump may need a second or so to bring the fuel pressure up.

Mike
SVTmike, I have the same issue, it just won't catch the first time, I even went to an extended key hold, and like you said, put it in the on position first.

Never had a car like this that does not want to start the first time, and yes, it is not reproducable, happens every so often, different temps, car and ambient.

Dealer did not find it.

Maybe the ECM/PCM reprogram may have helped, which was only last week, but one time it was hard to start, but it did start.

Could be the 11:1 compression and maybe vapor lock or something?
Old 01-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by svtmike

Mike

Mike,

While I turn the key to ON before going to start, I always hear the low whisper sound from the engine bay, 1-2 seconds only. Is that what you talk about? The fuel pump tries to engage?

I can hear it especially in my quiet garage.

Thanks.

(Actually, if I pause at ON position then turn to start for a few more seconds, the engine will ignite nicely. Originally, my 5AT TL has the similar issue as mrtech's #3 issue. Yes, I applied the same way as svtmike & gregory28 said.)
Old 01-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Instructor

When it fails to start the first time, I crank it longer then give it a little gas. The first time this occured, I ended up cranking 3 times.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:13 PM
an Acura has-been

Originally posted by mrtech
When it fails to start the first time, I crank it longer then give it a little gas. The first time this occured, I ended up cranking 3 times.
Mrtech, mine always goes the second time, but I never touch the gas, I have always heard that with FI, dont touch the gas, it has worked for me for the last 18 years, maybe once I had to use it.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally posted by rets
Mike,

While I turn the key to ON before going to start, I always hear the low whisper sound from the engine bay, 1-2 seconds only. Is that what you talk about? The fuel pump tries to engage?

The fuel pump in the tank has to pressurize the fuel lines sufficiently to get the proper flow and pattern out of the fuel injectors for the engine to run. This is a technique I've seen mentioned for several different fuel-injected engines when people mentioned the car wouldn't start on the first crank.

You will hear the pump run momentarily when you turn the key to on as it brings the pressure in the line up.

Another person mentioned not hitting the gas in FI. I don't think that matters with the TL; the gas pedal doesn't cause the fuel injectors to open, so there's no danger of flooding. A better wording is probably that there's no reason to hit the gas.

Mike
Old 01-06-2004, 11:36 PM
an Acura has-been

Actually the sensor for the gas pedal is not in the car, but under the hood, so there is still a mechanical cable from the inside of the car to under the hood, you would think to save parts it would be right at the pedal.