Ugh! What is going on?! (Paint Related)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh! What is going on?! (Paint Related)

Left - Driver's Side

Right - Passenger's Side

The picture pretty much explain it. Appears to be masking tape that was removed after painting. I faced the same thing with the 2006 Civic I just traded in! And I found those bumpers were repainted between the time it arrived at the dealer and when i picked it up. Are my TL's front bumper repainted too?! Could someone verify if they have the same marks are theirs? I recall they paint the WHOLE bumper at the factory, I doubt it would be neccessary to use masking tape. They only use masking tape at body shops, where they repaint stuff... I hope those are caused by normal factory procedures and not a repaint. I will be having a word with the dealer most definitely if this proves to be repaint.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Advanced

Anyone?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You want my opinion?

The area under the tape has no color other than the plastic of the injection mold. So it tells me it was never painted prior to that. I don't think it was repainted but hey you never know.

Don't let it bother you.

A-Train
Old 06-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
maybe that was were the clamps were to hold the bumper while painting
Old 06-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Banned

maybe your car was totaled in a car-carrier wreck on the way to the dealership

really, though, I agree w/Atrain - had to have been from the factory.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:54 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive seen the bottom of front bumpers look like this from the factory, ive noticed this doin PDI inspections on hondas all the time.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
what am i looking at? the pictures DO NOT explain it all. where is this location? how about zooming out? is this the UNDERSIDE of the car? because if it is, i hope the dealer laughs at you.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CleanCL
what am i looking at? the pictures DO NOT explain it all. where is this location? how about zooming out? is this the UNDERSIDE of the car? because if it is, i hope the dealer laughs at you.
Thanks for the input guys. As for CleanCL, why would the dealer laugh at me? Judging from your reply seems like your dealer doesn't take your problems seriously for you to be saying that. Paint starts to peel when not properly coated especially when its on the underside where it is most vunerable to road debris. Just for your info it is the under side of the front bumper. I had the same problem with my civic and it started peeling. I started to think it was another carrier wreck just like the civic.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey I have the same thing in the exact spot on my bumper! I was trying to figure that out too

I'll deal with it later. No one sees it anyways.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

all i'm saying is judging from your pictures, it appears to be a factory defect UNDER the car, i really dont consider that a problem as you will never see it.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sandiegodrive
Hey I have the same thing in the exact spot on my bumper! I was trying to figure that out too

I'll deal with it later. No one sees it anyways.
Great! Finally some confirmation! So I guess it's factory. It's not about no one seeing it, it more about it could potentially start peeling and keep peeling until it was visible. Thats all. Sorry CleanCL for being a little edgy but 40k car compared to 20k car, I shouldn't be seeing to same evidence fo the same problems. But it seems as if it's not a problem. Repaint problm must be taken care of asap or when you discover it and try to bring it back to the dealer, they will really laugh at you. Because for my civic they really did laugh at me, blaming that I repainted it myself and it was silly I took it back in 9 months after owning it. For that bad assumption, I milked Honda Corp badly for compensation.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Suzuka Master

makes sense, just dont wait on it like you said. so many horror stories about damage to their brand new cars when they pick them up. next time i buy a car, im going to bring like 20 professional auto body experts.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
My 06 WDP has this as well under the front bumper. Doesn't matter to me since no one see's it or cares.

Originally Posted by khunthun

Left - Driver's Side

Right - Passenger's Side

The picture pretty much explain it. Appears to be masking tape that was removed after painting. I faced the same thing with the 2006 Civic I just traded in! And I found those bumpers were repainted between the time it arrived at the dealer and when i picked it up. Are my TL's front bumper repainted too?! Could someone verify if they have the same marks are theirs? I recall they paint the WHOLE bumper at the factory, I doubt it would be neccessary to use masking tape. They only use masking tape at body shops, where they repaint stuff... I hope those are caused by normal factory procedures and not a repaint. I will be having a word with the dealer most definitely if this proves to be repaint.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
The coating under the front bumper isn't fully cleared either and that area that isn't masked is smooth to the painted part. It won't start peeling so I wouldn't worry.