Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turanza LS-Z Tires (1,000 Mile Update)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 09:19 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turanza LS-Z Tires (1,000 Mile Update)

As requested, here is my review of the Turanza LS-Z after having driven them for about 1,000 miles.

I decided to replaced my "original" Turanza EL 42 tires on my own, and chose the Turanza LS-Z tires over the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S due to the "theoretical" smoother/quieter ride of the LS-Z's.

Pluses

- Very quite ride (unless you are on very coarse concrete pavement, you do not hear the tires at all).
- Smooth ride (I do not feel every single pavement imperfection anymore). Don't worry, the TL still handles like a TL and not a Lincoln.
- No vibration (except for when the engine is struggling on 5th gear and low RPM at around 1,500 RPM)
- No apparent worsening of handling
- Very good performance on rain. You will need to push it very hard to make them "unglue" from the pavement.
- Car does not change behavior when pavement changes, as it did with the EL 42's.
- I do not need to keep on correcting steering, as I had to do with the EL 42's.
- Due to lower noise and vibration and increased sense of security, you will drive faster, without noticing it.
- I drove a newer TL with the new EL 42's, and the LS-Z's are better (if you like smoother/quieter).

Minuses

- Expensive. They go for $217 at tirerack. I paid a total of about $1K, including mounting, balancing and taxes. I went to a local Firestone dealer and had them price match tirerack.
- I ended up giving my money to Bridgestone, who, through Acura, sold me a crappy tire in the first place.
- Somebody is this forum has observed flatspotting with these tires, but it has been too warm for flatspotting.
- Given that the tire vibrations and noise are gone, the poor performance and behavior of the TL at 1500 RPM/55 MPH is actually, to some extent, more noticeable. It is now more obvious when the engine downshifts. When cruising on the road in the 40-60 MPH range, I actually have been using manual (I have an AT).

Bottom Line

Not happy with having had to spend $1K on top of $34K, but very happy with the end result.

I just wished Acura would adjust their AT logic and increase the RPM threshold where the TL shifts from 4th to 5th gear.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the review, I have to decide soon what I want to upgrade to and was looking at the LS-Z's or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

Did you try to sell the EL-42's back to the Firestone dealer ?
Old 04-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by CrappyTires
As requested, here is my review of the Turanza LS-Z after having driven them for about 1,000 miles.

I decided to replaced my "original" Turanza EL 42 tires on my own, and chose the Turanza LS-Z tires over the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S due to the "theoretical" smoother/quieter ride of the LS-Z's.

Pluses

- Very quite ride (unless you are on very coarse concrete pavement, you do not hear the tires at all).
- Smooth ride (I do not feel every single pavement imperfection anymore). Don't worry, the TL still handles like a TL and not a Lincoln.
- No vibration (except for when the engine is struggling on 5th gear and low RPM at around 1,500 RPM)
- Very good performance on rain. You will need to push it very hard to make them "unglue" from the pavement.
- Car does not change behavior when pavement changes, as it did with the EL 42's.
- I do not need to keep on correcting steering, as I had to do with the EL 42's.
- Due to lower noise and vibration and increased sense of security, you will drive faster, without noticing it.
- I drove a newer TL with the new EL 42's, and the LS-Z's are better (if you like smoother/quieter).

Minuses

- Expensive. They go for $217 at tirerack. I paid a total of about $1K, including mounting, balancing and taxes. I went to a local Firestone dealer and had them price match tirerack.
- I ended up giving my money to Bridgestone, who, through Acura, sold me a crappy tire in the first place.
- Somebody is this forum has observed flatspotting with these tires, but it has been too warm for flatspotting.
- Given that the tire vibrations and noise are gone, the poor performance and behavior of the TL at 1500 RPM/55 MPH is actually, to some extent, more noticeable. It is now more obvious when the engine downshifts. When cruising on the road in the 40-60 MPH range, I actually have been using manual (I have an AT).

Bottom Line

Not happy with having had to spend $1K on top of $34K, but very happy with the end result.

I just wished Acura would adjust their AT logic and increase the RPM threshold where the TL shifts from 4th to 5th gear.
I too had Bridgestone replace my EL-42s with the LS-Z. I find them to be much better than the EL42s. They are indeed quite and smooth tires. The Z rating I think makes them a tad stiffer thus a little more road feel coems through the tires. But I have been running my tires 2-3 lbs. over (aroun 34-35) as I prefer a tire to be a little over than under. I was probably the one that you saw flat spotting on, and on the chilly mornings (typically whenc ar sat under 50 degrees) the tire do tend to flat spot a tad, nothing like the EL42s. I do feel the TL suspension trasmits almost anything from the tire into the steering wheel. I did go to a Goodyear store to get them balanced on a Hunter GSP9700, well worth it. I still noticed a very slight vibration around 85 and went back and asked them to check the balancing. They were relucatant, said the machine is the best there is. And sure enough one wheel was 1/2 oz. out. Now the car is smooth up through 90 (all I have pushed so far). The LS-Z is an excellent tire, probably not quite as good as the Michelin (besides I still have a hang up about giving any money to the French!), but then I got my LS-Zs for free. Also Bridgestone was very accomidating trying to resolve the customer service issue witht he EL42, unlike Acura!
Old 04-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the updates on the LS-Z's... I'm have the new LS-Z's on order and should be installed this week. I first had the old EL42's and had them replaced with the new EL42's. The new ones may not have flatspotted as bad but that may have been because of warmer temps though, but had vibration's at different speeds felt in the steering with new ones... Tried the Bridgestone route, contacted the Bridgestone district manager for my area, (found on the BS website), he made me an appt. at a Firestone company store. They determined the tires had too much movement on the balancer due to low spots in the tires. (funny they can determine this in a few mins. but the Acura dealer installed the tires anyway) I had around fifty grams of weight on one tire, which shows you that the tire is probably junk. The manager at Firestone said a bunch of 'dead weight'. They checked two tires which were bad and I mentioned the LS-Z's, the manager told the service guy not not to even worry about checking the back two tires and ordered me four new LS-Z's for free. Which are suppose to be a lot better tire. Great customer service all around, hopefully the new tires will match the service I got!
Old 04-18-2004, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dheel
Thanks for the updates on the LS-Z's... I'm have the new LS-Z's on order and should be installed this week. I first had the old EL42's and had them replaced with the new EL42's. The new ones may not have flatspotted as bad but that may have been because of warmer temps though, but had vibration's at different speeds felt in the steering with new ones... Tried the Bridgestone route, contacted the Bridgestone district manager for my area, (found on the BS website), he made me an appt. at a Firestone company store. They determined the tires had too much movement on the balancer due to low spots in the tires. (funny they can determine this in a few mins. but the Acura dealer installed the tires anyway) I had around fifty grams of weight on one tire, which shows you that the tire is probably junk. The manager at Firestone said a bunch of 'dead weight'. They checked two tires which were bad and I mentioned the LS-Z's, the manager told the service guy not not to even worry about checking the back two tires and ordered me four new LS-Z's for free. Which are suppose to be a lot better tire. Great customer service all around, hopefully the new tires will match the service I got!

Also Firestone dealer manager said that they checked with Bridgestone and there isn't any difference with the new and old EL42's. Someone just giving everyone a line, either BS or Acura?
Old 04-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by dheel
Thanks for the updates on the LS-Z's... I'm have the new LS-Z's on order and should be installed this week. I first had the old EL42's and had them replaced with the new EL42's. ........................ Great customer service all around, hopefully the new tires will match the service I got!
Funny how Mfg of the $32k car treats us like crap, yet the tire mfg has great customer service. I proabbly won't, no wait I WON'T buy any more Honda/Acura products, but I sure would consider buying Bridgestone again with great customer service like that! I think you will be pleased with the LS-Z, it still may flat spot a tad, but it runs out quickly and it handles well, rides good and is very quiet! And the price its right!
Old 04-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CrappyTires

Pluses

Minuses

Bottom Line

Thanks. This post makes me put this tire into my shopping list again for consideration.