Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSX or TL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TSX or TL?

ok guys so i'm really close to purchasing my first TL, however i'd like a bit of advice from some of you.
I'm a 19 year old college student, I currently drive a 96 integra manual transmission. However I will be looking to replace it in the next coupe of months or so. I love the 3rd gen TL, I've driven a 6spd MT and fell in love with the amount of power and comfort it has.
But I was also thinking if i should get a manual tsx instead. Never driven one but i've heard they're quite nice.
Could anyone let me know how the handling is in both vehicles? It's been a while since i've driven the TL.
My integra seems to rip through the twistys pretty nicely, I know it's no BMW, but its EXCELLENT!!
I'm not the teenager who wants a car to customize with every mod in the world, I keep my cars bone stock and 100% clean. I'm leaning towards the TL because of size and styling and power. I know the TSX is a little slower, but will have similar mpg to my integra.
Any suggestions or advice?
BTW: I'm a manual type of guy so what ever car I go with will HAVE TO BE a stick.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by koffinb
ok guys so i'm really close to purchasing my first TL, however i'd like a bit of advice from some of you.
I'm a 19 year old college student, I currently drive a 96 integra manual transmission. However I will be looking to replace it in the next coupe of months or so. I love the 3rd gen TL, I've driven a 6spd MT and fell in love with the amount of power and comfort it has.
But I was also thinking if i should get a manual tsx instead. Never driven one but i've heard they're quite nice.
Could anyone let me know how the handling is in both vehicles? It's been a while since i've driven the TL.
My integra seems to rip through the twistys pretty nicely, I know it's no BMW, but its EXCELLENT!!
I'm not the teenager who wants a car to customize with every mod in the world, I keep my cars bone stock and 100% clean. I'm leaning towards the TL because of size and styling and power. I know the TSX is a little slower, but will have similar mpg to my integra.
Any suggestions or advice?
BTW: I'm a manual type of guy so what ever car I go with will HAVE TO BE a stick.
This is very interesting. My family has had both cars so i know a lot. If you want a car thats quick with a tight solid body made in japan, go withe the TSX. If you want comfort with a body thats not too tight, go with the TL.The first gen TSX isnt as fast as the TL but the TSX is very clost to prelude performance in a 4 door (0-60 in 6.8sec, 1/4 mile 15.4) where the TL 6 speed (0-60 in 6.0sec, 1/4 mile 14.5). The TL's stereo is way better if you'd appreciate DTS surround sound through 6 channels. If not the 360 watt 8 speaker premium stereo in the TSX sounds good too. That said you can get a newer TSX 07-08 cheaper than a 04-06 TL while having and Aux jack for mp3 player/ipod which the 04-06TL's don't have.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Advanced

thanks for the reply, btw** i'm comparing the 1st gen TSX, not the 3rd gen
Old 10-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
This is very interesting. My family has had both cars so i know a lot. If you want a car thats quick with a tight solid body made in japan, go withe the TSX. If you want comfort with a body thats not too tight, go with the TL.The first gen TSX isnt as fast as the TL but the TSX is very clost to prelude performance in a 4 door (0-60 in 6.8sec, 1/4 mile 15.4) where the TL 6 speed (0-60 in 6.0sec, 1/4 mile 14.5). The TL's stereo is way better if you'd appreciate DTS surround sound through 6 channels. If not the 360 watt 8 speaker premium stereo in the TSX sounds good too. That said you can get a newer TSX 07-08 cheaper than a 04-06 TL while having and Aux jack for mp3 player/ipod which the 04-06TL's don't have.
yes, I love the stereo in the TL too, can you get the iPod /aux in the TL also?
Old 10-30-2011, 03:18 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
you better start shopping now...MT are a rare breed for the TL...not sure about the TSX, but i'm sure its just as challenging to find.

really depends on what you want. looks, bells and whistles, space, comfort, etc.

i've only driven the AT TSX in the 1st and 2nd gen loaners. peppy little cars, drives like an accord (b/c the 1st gen is an accord-the euro one). after driving my TL...the TSX for me at least, is too slow.

since you're a college student, the TSX is a nice car to have at that age. the TL is nice too. just depends on how much stress you want when caring for the TL over the TSX. the TL is bigger than the TSX, but the TSX will get better MPGs.

you'd have to go and drive one-a TSX MT (if you can find one) to really give a fair comparison. you asked the TL crowd so naturally we're going to glorify the TL. you have to ask yourself, how much are you willing to spend and what you need/want in the car besides a MT. i would imagine the insurance on the TSX would be a little lower too. good luck on your search.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
TL>TSX in every way, and yes, I've had both.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Advanced

i've actually found quite a few MT TL's in my area, I'm looking for comfort and sportiness(after all I am a college student). The tsx seems a bit too similar to the rsx (stereotypical teen car)
The nav in the TL is nice, but not a must have for me..I guess I just really have to compare the drivability side by side
Old 10-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Koffin, the TSX seems to be the car of choice for a younger owner like yourself. It's a little sportier than the TL.

Just remember that getting a TL with Navigation will help for resale value too.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Advanced

are the tsx's known for any common issues or problems?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:51 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
are the tsx's known for any common issues or problems?
you'd have to ask the TSX owners. rattles are known in both...not sure of any TSX specific quirks. pose the same question to the TSX side and see what folks over there say.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Koffin, the TSX seems to be the car of choice for a younger owner like yourself. It's a little sportier than the TL.

Just remember that getting a TL with Navigation will help for resale value too.
For the college student - better gas mileage is a consideration as well.

Navigation completes the look of dashboard.

I've had a few TSXs as loaner cars and they are nice, quick cars. Have considered getting one for my daughter after she has her license for awhile.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
For the college student - better gas mileage is a consideration as well.

Navigation completes the look of dashboard.

I've had a few TSXs as loaner cars and they are nice, quick cars. Have considered getting one for my daughter after she has her license for awhile.
Good point, I suppose i'll look into the TSX a bit more, I thought I was completely sold on the TL
Old 10-30-2011, 06:17 PM

You will do well with either as they are both nice cars. I think the TSX as Steven Bell pointed out seems to be a younger persons car, but again that may have to do with cost as well. There are several TLs and TSXs at my office, but the age thing doesn't seemingly apply.

You may want to check with your insurance company to see if there is an appreciable difference there.

Check the TSX forum for problems issues.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Advanced

You will do well with either as they are both nice cars. I think the TSX as Steven Bell pointed out seems to be a younger persons car, but again that may have to do with cost as well. There are several TLs and TSXs at my office, but the age thing doesn't seemingly apply.

You may want to check with your insurance company to see if there is an appreciable difference there.

Check the TSX forum for problems issues.
will do! Thanks for your help, I figured as far as maintenance they are both approx. the same correct? They also require premium so cost of ownership is pretty much the same between the two with the exception of MPG rating
Old 10-30-2011, 06:48 PM

1st gen TSX only comes with a 4 banger, where 3rd gen TL is a 6. TL is going to have more bells and whistles as it is a larger car and further up Acura's model tree, so you could argue it has more to potentially go wrong, more to maintain, but you are essentially correct.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Advanced

1st gen TSX only comes with a 4 banger, where 3rd gen TL is a 6. TL is going to have more bells and whistles as it is a larger car and further up Acura's model tree, so you could argue it has more to potentially go wrong, more to maintain, but you are essentially correct.
good point!!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Banned

yes, I love the stereo in the TL too, can you get the iPod /aux in the TL also?
I know you werent talking about 3rd gen tsx because there isnt a 3rd gen tsx only tl.. yes there r aux hookup in tl but only 07-08.

The TL has no more options thanm TSX... Both cars have essentially the same tech (navi, hands free link, xm radio, etc) so i dont follow you at all...

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-30-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
<-------Old, but still in college.
I went with TL because it's roomier and faster. Coming from a smaller V6 Grand Am, I wanted a V6 with more room.

If you really want a manual, but can't seem to decide which one, you may have to go with whatver you find first that has 6MT because they are very rare.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 PM

ParaSurfer1979 -

He's buying used so it depends on which year he buys.

I don't believe the earlier TSXs had built in HFL Bluetooth or XM radio. Not sure if the radio was DVD-A capable, but seeing there is so little music in this format, not sure it matters. Earlier models didn't have heated/reverse tilt mirrors, memory seats, and power passenger seats. TL also has AC vents in rear, but TSX has a full folding rear seat. I'm sure there are other things which differentiate to two, but escape me at the moment.

Found this old thread on the TSX side -

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=655168&page=1

Seems like most over there like the TSX for it's size (smaller) and handling.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-30-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Drifting

Received 593 Likes on 442 Posts
If you drive on city streets (under 45mph) more often, buy the TSX. The extra power of the TL doesn't really shine over the TSX until you hit the highway on-ramp. Every TSX I have driven feels just as quick around town, but falls on its face on the highway. The TSX feels like a little go-cart and is much more nimble than the TL. The TSX gets quite a bit better city mileage than the TL.

Is the TSX better than the TL? That is purely up to the buyer/owner on what they want out of a car. I almost bought a TSX until I took it out on the highway and realized it didn't have quite enough power to pass.

Being in college and assuming you are either parking on the street or in a crowed school lot, I would say TSX is a better choice since it is a bit smaller.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I prefer the TL over the TSX. Although I have a 2G TSX, when I drive my friends around they tell me that the TL is alot more comfortable/roomy than the TSX, not sure if its the same for 1G. The TSX does get better gas mileage than the TL. Both cars take premium I believe, so if gas is an issue maybe you want the TSX.

If I was in your situation wanting power and comfort then, TL is my choice. V6 > I4
Old 10-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have to agree with "Jackass". I have owned both a 2004 TL 6MT and a 2007 TSX; I like the TSX better around town (speed limit below 50 mph) and the TL better on the highway. So buy the one which better fits where you drive. Both are great cars.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
You really can't go wrong with either of them. I have an 08TL and I looked at both of them. I liked the TL more.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Racer

you def do not want a TSX unless its a 2006 +. you get fog lights, blue tooth upgrades!!!!!!!i had a 04 with countless problems. the 04-05 had tons of issues. (i.e motor oil consumption which leads to timing chain issues, master/slave cylinder issues / grinding , center consol issues). im not sure whats up witht he grinding / gear sycros with the TSX MTs. every year seems to have a fewissues with this and its not because of low fluid.

Now the TL is no perfect angel and its well documented on this website. id recommend 2006 and up on the TL and you def want Navi. The TL is just a so;id ride and won disappoint. The type S is an amzing ride as well. I would stray away from he 2004 and some 2005s. since your getting a MT you can roll the dice on any year TL and more than likely be very satified. the dash board issues and the rattles are prob the biggest issues.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:55 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Get something you love not something you could fall in love with .
Old 11-01-2011, 12:01 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
might want to consider a newer v6 accord as well. It isnt sexier, but it should be cheaper to run using regular, and have the additional power.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
I have an 04 TL, and I am a college student also. With the right tires and not having a heavy foot, i can get upwards of 30 MPG in my TL 5AT. I went home over the weekend, and filled up right before i came back on monday. I reset the trip computer, and set cruise control on the highway, doing about 70, and i got 35 mpg on a 45 minute trip.

And that 35 mpg isnt rare, its happened before, when youre not changing lanes and over taking cars every 5 seconds...

Good luck. You will appreciate the extra space in the TL when it comes time to haul your friends, or be the DD...
Old 11-01-2011, 08:17 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
One thing I noticed driving my father's 2004 TSX on occasion is that what I call the "butt portion" of the seat (that is, the part you SIT on) seems a bit small in the TSX compared to in the TL—that is to say, I find I get less thigh support in the TSX than I do in the TL. I don't think I'm all that tall (6'1"), so I wonder if the TSX seats are just designed for small people. It's too bad, because otherwise I think it's a very enjoyable car, even with the automatic. The TSX's engine is very peppy and suits the car quite nicely; it reminds me a lot of my old 1982 Accord in that respect.

My father's TSX is an automatic, however. He can drive a manual but got the slushbox for the times when my mother has to drive it, as she's uncomfortable with a manual (even though I re-taught her in 2002 when they were scheduled to have a manual-shift rental car in France).

I had a 2010 TSX V-6 service loaner in early June and it was a nice car, but I prefer my TL. These are the comments I posted at the time:

I presently have a 2010 TSX with the V-6 as a loaner (should get my TL back today). I'm surprised it's as roomy as it is. My father has a 2004 TSX and the 2010 is noticeably bigger and considerably more comfortable; in particular, the lower portion of the seats (the part you actually sit on) feels too small in the 2004 but is much better in the 2010. The car seems almost as big as my TL when I put it in the garage.

I don't especially like the 2010 TSX's dashboard either. I find that the way they combined the radio and Navi buttons makes it feel cluttered, and I found that the Navi joystick doesn't work the same way as it does in the 3G TL. While I didn't "need" to operate the Navi while driving the car, I naturally wanted to play with it.

Having the sunglass holder in the ceiling is nice. But the center console storage is smaller than in the 3G TL. I did notice that the design for the lighter plug (well, what we used to call a lighter plug) in the front makes more sense than the one in the 3G TL. I've always thought it's dumb how in the 3G TL you have to open the lower shelf and then hold that door open until you get the plug in place—it refuses to stay open on its own. The current-generation TSX has a lighter plug cover that stays open when you open it. Makes a lot more sense.

So on the whole I think the TSX is a nice car, but I'm looking forward to getting my TL back (aside from having to pay the service bill, of course). I'd consider the TSX if I were forced to buy a new car and if I could afford one, but I hope not to have to make that decision for a long time. Only thing is, I think the V-6 TSX is not available with a manual transmission. For me that's a deal-breaker. The car feels big enough that the four-cylinder would probably be too small an engine.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm a 20 year old college student and have had my '08 TL for about 7 months now. I love it. My friends love it. Not to mention it's pretty much the nicest car in the commuter lot at the university.

I was determined to find a 6 speed but ran out of time and ended up settling for mine with an auto. I didn't really consider getting a TSX when I got mine because the TL looks a lot better, it's roomier, the interior is nicer, and it's more powerful. Plus the TSX seems kinda 'girly' to me. I'd definitely go with the TL. But whichever you get you should try to find one with Nav. All of the features that come with the nav are pretty sweet.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2011, 02:25 PM
wtl1030

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually thats both my choices but settled with tl...very nice styling and riding comfort.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by caseyjones
I'm a 20 year old college student and have had my '08 TL for about 7 months now. I love it. My friends love it. Not to mention it's pretty much the nicest car in the commuter lot at the university.

I was determined to find a 6 speed but ran out of time and ended up settling for mine with an auto. I didn't really consider getting a TSX when I got mine because the TL looks a lot better, it's roomier, the interior is nicer, and it's more powerful. Plus the TSX seems kinda 'girly' to me. I'd definitely go with the TL. But whichever you get you should try to find one with Nav. All of the features that come with the nav are pretty sweet.

Good luck!
Whats girlie about a TSX??? The front end styling of the 2 Acuras a very close. The TSX has a tighter suspension as well riding as firm as RSX-S. To each is own. I'd be happy with either car.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
I have nothing bad to say about TSXes, but I've always been partial to a V6...
Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
I too was deciding between the TSX and TL at one point. The deciding factor for me was the sheer power difference between the two. Plus a V6 will always be more audibly pleasing over the 4 banger. I was willing to pay for the increased cost of gas and maintenance over the TSX.

also slightly better safety ratings in the TL.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Whats girlie about a TSX??? The front end styling of the 2 Acuras a very close. The TSX has a tighter suspension as well riding as firm as RSX-S. To each is own. I'd be happy with either car.

I'm not saying it's a girly car, just saying it's seems to be more girly than the TL. This is just my opinion. I think I think that because it's only 4 cylinder, it's smaller, and basically has the interior of an Accord. This is just my opinion though. I don't dislike TSXs at all, I just love TLs. I mean, you're getting an Acura so you can't go wrong either way.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by caseyjones
.........you're getting an acura so you can't go wrong either way.

^+1
Old 11-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've never driven a TSX, but I love my 6 speed TL and I'm a few years younger than you. It has a good amount of power (granted, it's no Porsche, and after all we are talking about a luxury sedan), but from what I've seen, the interior is also vastly superior to the TSX's.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:31 PM

koffinb needs to go out and drive both to make a determination for himself.
The following 2 users liked this post by NBP04TL4ME:
nj2pa2nc (11-16-2011), TLtrigirl (11-05-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Driver Mod

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I had the same quandry and went for the TL. Had it for a couple years now and still love it.
Take your time and find a good 6MT
Old 11-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
back in january of this year i was car shopping and was stuck choosing between a 07-08 TL or 07-08 TSX.

the reason i wanted the late model ones was because of the turn signals on mirrors and the fog lights.

originally i said i wanted a tsx because you don't see many of those where i'm from. i never sat in a tl or a tsx, so i didn't really have anything to base my decision off of.

ended up finding a killer deal on a 08 tl w/ navi 5AT 30k miles for $15,000. took it and never looked back. my last car was a 2001 isuzu rodeo sport v6.... it was a good upgrade.

now that i think about it, while purchasing my TL, there was also a TSX at the lot and i was able to get inside it. it was ebony interior. the interior seemed real plain... not to mention it feels pretty small compared to the TL but that's pretty obvious. lack of power also deterred me away from the tsx.

i never test drove it, but everyone says its a fun small car to drive. i have my car dropped about 2 inches on coils and a 24mm rear swaybar, my car is pretty fun to drive now too, along with the extra HP and torque

this is a little off topic, but my favorite color is blue so when i opened the driver side door to sit in it for the first time and saw the gauges light up blue i already knew i had to have it... don't get me wrong the gauges on the tsx is nice too. its very bright white but i still think the 07-08 tl gauges look better. maybe if the tsx gauges had accents of blue i might would like it too lol

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 11-06-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Advanced

koffinb needs to go out and drive both to make a determination for himself.
that is what I will do

Quick Reply: TSX or TL?