Trunk Release

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008 | 03:36 PM
TL=True Love

Trunk Release

when u press ur trunk release button, does your trunk hood pop up? or does it juss unlock and then u have to open it up with ur hand? i feel like the spoiler lip wieghs the trunk down so that it cant pop up.
Old 12-05-2008 | 03:38 PM
Race Director

Let me guess, you have a Type-S?

Mine unlocks, moves up 1/4 of inch, and says F.U. I ain't opening no mo'
It's fun when you are coming back full of grocery bags.
Old 12-05-2008 | 03:49 PM
08 TL-S NBP

^^ Lol

I believe that the trunk has a weight so that it doesn't pop wide open. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 12-05-2008 | 03:56 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

I have no spoiler or wing or anything. It doesn't pop all the way open unless it's a windy day on which you best not pop the trunk. It does lift a bit off of the bottom lip by a couple of inches (more than the minimal amount TeknoKing mentions, but enough that, as he says, if you have some grocery bags it can be a nuisance to lift it if you don't set the bags down).
Old 12-05-2008 | 04:04 PM
Race Director

^ ok, so sometimes it open 1/2 of an inch, lol

I still have to open the trunk by lifting via wing, or I try to fit my finger in the gap.... Argghhhhh... I usually don't use a shopping cart, I just mesh all the grocery bags and jet for the car, and when I'm already losing my fingers, now I need to poke around to open the trunk... love it!

Miss my FX, the SUV actually knew when I was coming, and with a press of a button on the trunk, it popped wide open.
Old 12-05-2008 | 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

I have a Type-S and it pops open but not all the way open. Just enough to allow you to open it all the way.
Old 12-05-2008 | 04:23 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Originally Posted by TeknoKing

I still have to open the trunk by lifting via wing ....
You could lose the wing and it would pop up further (hence why my trunk lid goes up more than yours does).
Old 12-05-2008 | 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator

there are three ways to make it jump higher:

1. Remove the counterweight and decorative trim on the trunk lid. You can remove the trim by just popping out those little clips. Then once off you will see the metal counterweight in the dead center of the trunk lid.

2. Put 303 aerospace protectant on the seal running around the trunk, I find this helps make it pop open higher by .5 of an inch on my TL after a few months of not putting anything on.

3. Upgraded springs, you can buy upgraded springs that come with the TL WING SPOILER, you will need the spring puller tool since the springs have enough tension to break bones.
Old 12-05-2008 | 11:33 PM
Advanced

Like he said remove the weight
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/cold-cathode-done-699758/
Old 12-06-2008 | 07:42 AM
Drifting

I have a wing spoiler, and Dynamat covering every inch under the trunk lid liner. I also left that counterweight in the lid to reduce vibrations from bass.

My car laughs at me when I hit the trunk release button. The trunk lid absolutely does not budge.
Old 12-06-2008 | 05:59 PM
Acuras Only in

I still have to open the trunk by lifting via wing, or I try to fit my finger in the gap.... Argghhhhh... I usually don't use a shopping cart, I just mesh all the grocery bags and jet for the car, and when I'm already losing my fingers, now I need to poke around to open the trunk... love it!

Miss my FX, the SUV actually knew when I was coming, and with a press of a button on the trunk, it popped wide open.
LMOA .... same thing here with all the grocery bags ... my arms are strong, but my fingers are all dead by the time I reach my car .....
Old 12-06-2008 | 06:19 PM
12volt Technician

i have a bunch of dynamat on mine so it just pops. it doesn't open even an eighth of an inch, serious it sux but oh well, it seems so minor to me since i cant put anything in my trunk anyways
Old 12-06-2008 | 06:26 PM

mine too doesnt popup really good.. but i have another problem.. it even doesnt close at first shot.. i have to always try hard to close it...
Old 12-06-2008 | 07:17 PM
TL=True Love

Let me guess, you have a Type-S?

Mine unlocks, moves up 1/4 of inch, and says F.U. I ain't opening no mo'
It's fun when you are coming back full of grocery bags.
nah, I juss got a base TL with a lip spoiler from eBay. mine does exactly what urs does.

use the peapod service to solve ur grocery problem :-)
Old 12-06-2008 | 11:48 PM
Intermediate

Mine USED to pop up about an inch. But...1 week after getting my used '06 with 18K on it, mint, I got rear ended on the freeway. I stopped in rush hour traffic but the lady behind me felt it was a good time to look for something on the floor of her car and when she looked at the road, I was there and she creamed me. $6K damage to mine, her POS was totalled (VW Golf).

Anyways, since getting the new rear floor pan and bumper replaced, trunk lid dent fixed and all put back together, now it doesn't pop up. Not a big deal but I think I will try to spray something on the rubber seal.

The other option mentioned by a poster was to move the spring location to the second stop.....any insight on how this is done?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2008 | 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by arkitect
Mine USED to pop up about an inch. But...1 week after getting my used '06 with 18K on it, mint, I got rear ended on the freeway. I stopped in rush hour traffic but the lady behind me felt it was a good time to look for something on the floor of her car and when she looked at the road, I was there and she creamed me. $6K damage to mine, her POS was totalled (VW Golf).

Anyways, since getting the new rear floor pan and bumper replaced, trunk lid dent fixed and all put back together, now it doesn't pop up. Not a big deal but I think I will try to spray something on the rubber seal.

The other option mentioned by a poster was to move the spring location to the second stop.....any insight on how this is done?

Thanks
There aren't any stops to my knowledge, just the upgraded springs for the Rear WING spoiler.
Old 12-08-2008 | 02:01 PM
Cruisin'

I have a 2008 type s with lip spoiler and went looking in my trunk yesterday for the second spring position, as I too dis-like the 'click - FU' response of the lid . It is there and rotates the spring maybe another 5 or 10 degrees. Just enough to add the extra tension needed.

Be careful though, they're tensioned pretty good. I popped them onto the second position with a large screwdriver. To access them, you only need to gain access through the trim piece in the center of the trunk.

After the adjustment, my trunk now consistently pops up a good 10-12 inches. Time taken to adjust: 15-20 minutes.

For good measure I also lubricated the hinges.

FYI - Neither of my springs were color coded, they were both grey.

Thanks acurazine members for the information. It has fixed one of my quibbles, as I don't understand why acura would not want the trunk to lift when opened.

If you want to see a trunk lid really pop up, check out the 2008 BMW 5 series. If you're not careful, that bad boy could break teeth when you release the trunk. lol
Old 12-08-2008 | 02:42 PM
Safety Car

seriously......
Old 12-08-2008 | 03:06 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vinnier6
seriously......
Yep. Just look right next to where each spring seats. There are 2 positions for each spring. A total of 4 altogether for left and right sides. They are basically extra cutouts in the sheet metal.

Just rotate both springs onto these notches (2 per side) and you should be good to go.

Pop that damn trunk lid up. Now!! lol
Old 12-08-2008 | 03:11 PM
Race Director

^ I don't recommend to play with the spring without the spring tool... It is pretty dangerous, you can lose an eye easy.
Old 12-08-2008 | 03:16 PM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by msala524
^^ Lol

I believe that the trunk has a weight so that it doesn't pop wide open. Can anyone confirm this?
There is a weight. I removed mine and it helps a little. Simple to remove too. Use a screwdriver to remove the felt then a wrench to unbolt the weight. While you're at that, might as well change the license plate bulbs to LEDs
Old 12-08-2008 | 03:35 PM
Cruisin'

^ I don't recommend to play with the spring without the spring tool... It is pretty dangerous, you can lose an eye easy.
That is good advice, but............

<clears throat and tries to sound like a well spoken convincing laywer.>

You should take it to the dealer if you're not mechanically inclined. The trunk springs are under a lot of tension, and can cause injury if not handled correctly.

<removes previously stated voice, grabs a brewsky and heads for the garage for the fix.>

MOD that trunk lid NOW, yo!!

I am referring to the seemingly endless members here who wrench on their own cars and laugh in the face of a challenge.

Seriously though, I am not the judge of someone else's mechanical abilities. You will be on your own for that. So please proceed with caution when adjusting the trunk springs.
Old 12-08-2008 | 04:54 PM
Instructor

Is there anyway we can mod it like the Mercedes where the trunk opens all the way up just by a touch of a button?

Mine does not even open up 1/8 of an inch. It just clicks and I have to stick my fingers in the gap to open it ...
Old 12-08-2008 | 04:56 PM
12volt Technician

Originally Posted by TonyBui
Is there anyway we can mod it like the Mercedes where the trunk opens all the way up just by a touch of a button?

Mine does not even open up 1/8 of an inch. It just clicks and I have to stick my fingers in the gap to open it ...
Linear actuator FTW
Old 12-08-2008 | 05:01 PM
08 TL-S NBP

Yup already did all that, just didn't want to give false information!

Originally Posted by chairguru22
There is a weight. I removed mine and it helps a little. Simple to remove too. Use a screwdriver to remove the felt then a wrench to unbolt the weight. While you're at that, might as well change the license plate bulbs to LEDs