Trunk Interior 'C' Style Cip Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 08:40 AM
AAP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Interior 'C' Style Cip Removal

Hey Guys ...

I have the dreaded rear sub rattle ... and wanted to fix it using the methods described.

I have a service manual and the 'C' style clips on the rear carpeting have me confused ... do I just pull at them with pliers? Or is there something I am missing about removing that piece of the carpet?

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AAP
Hey Guys ...

I have the dreaded rear sub rattle ... and wanted to fix it using the methods described.

I have a service manual and the 'C' style clips on the rear carpeting have me confused ... do I just pull at them with pliers? Or is there something I am missing about removing that piece of the carpet?

Thanks.

I've had my trunk and back seat apart, and the only C clips I remember are the ones holding the leather flap for the pass-thru door of the rear seat. My trunk carpet was held in by two of those plastic plugs. Can you be more specific about where these C clips are? I'm also confused about why you are removing the carpet in the trunk to fix the sub rattle. You can pull down the liner for the rear deck without removing anything else from the trunk. If you are removing the rear deck from inside the car, you have to remove the entire rear seat and the C pillar covers.

jjh1234
Old 12-27-2005, 09:21 AM
AAP
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjh1234
I've had my trunk and back seat apart, and the only C clips I remember are the ones holding the leather flap for the pass-thru door of the rear seat. My trunk carpet was held in by two of those plastic plugs. Can you be more specific about where these C clips are? I'm also confused about why you are removing the carpet in the trunk to fix the sub rattle. You can pull down the liner for the rear deck without removing anything else from the trunk. If you are removing the rear deck from inside the car, you have to remove the entire rear seat and the C pillar covers.

jjh1234
I guess that the 'C' style clips is not clear ...

I am trying to remove the liner near the sub ... and it is held in with clips ... the service manual calls these Style 'C' ... there are about 6-7 of them and I did not want to just yank at them.

Could to tell me how exactly to pull down the liner?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
The rear shelf removal is on pages 20-66 and 20-67 of the service manual. I don't see any carpet removal or c-clips. Can you give a page reference so I can check it out further.

I can't find any reference to a style c clips on these pages.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:22 AM
321 whp SAE

Originally Posted by AAP
I guess that the 'C' style clips is not clear ...

I am trying to remove the liner near the sub ... and it is held in with clips ... the service manual calls these Style 'C' ... there are about 6-7 of them and I did not want to just yank at them.

Could to tell me how exactly to pull down the liner?

Thanks
pull off the rear deck ... must remove back seat back.. or at least hang it down.. the rear pillars.. and pull up...
Old 12-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Instructor

I think he's trying to remove that liner in the trunk to access the underside of the rear deck. (?) I've tried to do this to get rid of a rattle also, but almost broke one of those clips trying to get it off. I felt I was using too much force to try to remove them. any tips?
Old 12-27-2005, 11:23 AM
AAP
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwclements1
I think he's trying to remove that liner in the trunk to access the underside of the rear deck. (?) I've tried to do this to get rid of a rattle also, but almost broke one of those clips trying to get it off. I felt I was using too much force to try to remove them. any tips?

I am trying to do the same thing ... as far as the manual is concerend ... I am trying to remove the 'Rear Shelf Under Cover' on 20-68 ... the fasteners marked C are giving me trouble.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AAP
I am trying to do the same thing ... as far as the manual is concerend ... I am trying to remove the 'Rear Shelf Under Cover' on 20-68 ... the fasteners marked C are giving me trouble.
It looks like those are just push in clips without any release mechanism, so they probably use the u-shaped tool to get underneath the clip and then pry up. Any comparably shaped tool would work. Here's the scan of the page for more information.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Can you explain this tool? what would be a good alternative if it is not easy to find?
Old 12-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Administrator

It looks like a tuning fork, but of course it is flat, and you stick it around the clip and pry upwards. If you have a flat peice of thin hard metal you could cut a slot in it a few inches deep, and give it a bend so you could pry up with it, and that would probably work.

You just need something to insert under the panel with some support so when you pry up it pulls up the panel and the clip.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jwclements1
Can you explain this tool? what would be a good alternative if it is not easy to find?
I used a tool that I happened to have. It looks like a mini crowbar with that little notch for removing nails. I have also used two flat screwdrivers. The trick is to get one under each side of the clip and then slide them in together to force the clip out then turn the screwdrivers to pop it out the rest of the way.

Of course, the correct way is to purchase the KTC Trim Tool Set SOJATP2014 from your dealer. See the beginning of section 20 (BODY) in the 2004 service manual.

jjh1234
Old 12-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Instructor

thank you very much guys, now I can have a rattle free TL