Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it true that the TL logs everything?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it true that the TL logs everything?

is it true that the TL has OBD(i think thats what its called) and it logs everything you do and the dealership can just hook up the scan tool and find out top speed, top rpm, and whether or not you had tire spin or not?
i want to make sure because my car is going in for service for the flatspotting and i have been doing some spirited driving, and some wheel spinning was involved.

thanks

Cliff
Old 04-26-2004, 04:50 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cliff
is it true that the TL has OBD(i think thats what its called) and it logs everything you do and the dealership can just hook up the scan tool and find out top speed, top rpm, and whether or not you had tire spin or not?
i want to make sure because my car is going in for service for the flatspotting and i have been doing some spirited driving, and some wheel spinning was involved.

thanks

Cliff
Shouldn't make a damn bit of difference. It's just too bad we can't do the same thing to find out what they do when they work on our car.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:52 PM
Team NightHawk VP

but if the tread on the tire is worn down a bit because of the tire spinning, they mite not replace the tires, am i correct?
Old 04-26-2004, 04:59 PM
Life is good.

i have been doing some spirited driving, and some wheel spinning was involved.
Cliff
SWEET! I've got to remember that phrase "spirted driving".
Old 04-26-2004, 04:59 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see how it can log tire spin and visually it's likely undetectable. (Unless you smoked 'em down to the rims!!)
Old 04-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Team NightHawk VP

its spirited drivingm not spirted driving you silly lol

just messin with ya

Cliff

but does anyone know if thats true or not, because the warrenty doesnt cover tire spinning
Old 04-26-2004, 05:15 PM
Life is good.

Dude, I wouldn't worry about it, it very unlikly that they could tell that you smoked the tires, unless you did it on the way over to the dealer or something.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Team NightHawk VP

thats what i thought until i saw the tread, it was totally different from the rear. i dont know how to explain it but you can tell the difference
Old 04-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Even if that was logged I doubt they would check for that..you should be safe..have fun spirit driving
Old 04-26-2004, 07:15 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

A few months ago, there is one thread talking about the similar thing, the car's black box, not this OBD.

IMO.

The 04TL is definitely having OBD stuff, which could help dealers dignoses your car's issues. But how far will this system go and how varieties of data will this system record? we don't know... There are dozens of engineers in our forum, they may have better clues.

This should not be like Car Data/Info Recorder, the black box of your car.

Can I say no one should use this OBD info to go against you?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:49 PM
Safety Car

i remember on the bmw forum someone mis-shifted from from 5-2, the person wanted to downshift to 4 but put it into 2 but accident. he blew his engine and took it to the dealer for warranty. they hooked up the computer to the car and read that the car was rev'ed to 8200rpm (red line was like 6500ish) and denied warranty work to the engine. so the blackbox can work against you.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TL's black box is extremely unprivate. For example, it sees you when you're sleeping. And I believe it also knows when you're awake. For certain it knows if you've been bad or good.

So my recommendation is to be good. At least, for goodness' sake.

This is in the manual, pp. 876-878, under the topic "You Think You Gonna Fuck With Acura? Acura Gonna Fuck With YOU!!"
Old 04-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Advanced

It videos everything you do in the car also. Little known fact. Small camera in the headliner. The headliner falling down allows the dealer to download the video when you take it in for repair. Clever of those Honda engineers. Aren't you all embarassed now?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Team NightHawk VP

im guessing your girlfriend or wife paid extra for this black box camera service? lol they need to know when you're doing something bad.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by caball88
i remember on the bmw forum someone mis-shifted from from 5-2, the person wanted to downshift to 4 but put it into 2 but accident. he blew his engine and took it to the dealer for warranty. they hooked up the computer to the car and read that the car was rev'ed to 8200rpm (red line was like 6500ish) and denied warranty work to the engine. so the blackbox can work against you.

Is it possible that BMW device just recorded the final key sequence of events causing the problems? That's why BMW could diagnoses that issue againt the client. If you're in safe driving (never blow out your device/system), they should not be able to record anything... I guess...

Who has OBD reader now? You may check it out if you can see High speed/high RPM info out of your ECU...
Old 04-26-2004, 08:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wonder
It videos everything you do in the car also. Little known fact. Small camera in the headliner. The headliner falling down allows the dealer to download the video when you take it in for repair. Clever of those Honda engineers. Aren't you all embarassed now?
Small camera? I thought it was "big brother" up there
Old 04-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Racer

thanks

Cliff
Flatspotting??? Which tires do you have? You just got the car so I thought you wouldn't have that problem?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wonder
Aren't you all embarassed now?
So I pick my nose and stuff the boogers up in the headliner. So what? You think I care if some voyeuristic Acura engineer gets his kicks watching that? Let me tell you something, those boogers hold the headliner up better than that shit glue Acura uses. Maybe that engineer will learn a thing or two.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rets
Is it possible that BMW device just recorded the final key sequence of events causing the problems? That's why BMW could diagnoses that issue againt the client. If you're in safe driving (never blow out your device/system), they should not be able to record anything... I guess...

Who has OBD reader now? You may check it out if you can see High speed/high RPM info out of your ECU...
it could very well be the last few events that cause a problem. i don't think the car has that much memory to record the entire operation of a car. but still if someone was driving spirited and continuously pushed the engine to redline and beyond it could very well record that.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:53 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Originally Posted by jrogers345
Flatspotting??? Which tires do you have? You just got the car so I thought you wouldn't have that problem?
yea, it flatspots every first time i take it out during the day. i have the crapy turenzas. the tread rating is horrible, i want something in the 360 range, 260 is too soft, for me anyway.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Racer

thanks

Cliff
Do you expect them to replace tires for you? At no charge?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Banned

caball88, if that were true, then the rev limiter in the BMW did not work, and it was the failure of that component that blew that engine, not the person, you know, before all this electronic crap, then it would have been your fault, but big brother stops you from doing stupid things, just like VSA, DSC, VSC, etc. stops you from hanging turns too fast.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tread
caball88, if that were true, then the rev limiter in the BMW did not work, and it was the failure of that component that blew that engine, not the person, you know, before all this electronic crap, then it would have been your fault, but big brother stops you from doing stupid things, just like VSA, DSC, VSC, etc. stops you from hanging turns too fast.
this is a manual tranny and it was spinning at 3-4K rpm in 5th gear. when you drop the car into 2nd gear it will spike up to 8K+. it has a rev limiter meaning it cuts the fuel to the motor and will stop it from climbing higher. doesn't mean it prevents a mishift and stop the rpms from jumping over the redline. think about it if 5th gear ratio is <1 and 2nd gear is 2.5ish and the rpms were at about 3500 you multiply it by 2.5 just for rounding sakes you get 8K+ rpms. there is no device to stop the flywheel from spinning past 8K. once you drop the clutch its all over. you must be use to them automatics huh?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Banned

Don't know if TL has black box OBD capability, GM started the trend.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Exclamation

this is a manual tranny and it was spinning at 3-4K rpm in 5th gear. when you drop the car into 2nd gear it will spike up to 8K+. it has a rev limiter meaning it cuts the fuel to the motor and will stop it from climbing higher. doesn't mean it prevents a mishift and stop the rpms from jumping over the redline. think about it if 5th gear ratio is <1 and 2nd gear is 2.5ish and the rpms were at about 3500 you multiply it by 2.5 just for rounding sakes you get 8K+ rpms. there is no device to stop the flywheel from spinning past 8K. once you drop the clutch its all over. you must be use to them automatics huh?

You may know this guy driving his BMW at speed approximately between 100 and 140 MPH at 5th gear/3-4k RPM.

I don't know how the manual tranny works... BUT if you drive 5AT 04TL, at 5th/140 MPH, we can say the ECU would not let you downshift to 3rd; at 5th/100 MPH, you won't be able to down to 2nd . Quite safe, right?...
:smokin:
Old 04-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Banned

Actually, if the guy is that over the edge that he doesnt release the clutch or doesnt know what gear he is in, or going to, then he deserves to blow an engine.

FYI, I have been driving a clutch for over 30 years, never had that happen, and I drive pretty hard.

No reply or flames needed.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

thanks

Cliff
No it's not true. However, some cars come with a kind of "black box" that measures speed, braking, thottle, lateral, air bag deployment. The box can only hold 5 seconds of data and then it overwrites. In the event of a crash it suspends writing thus it only holds the data just before the crash.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Safety Car

i am not familiar with acura auto tranny's but i would assume that it would prevent you from down shifting from 5 to 3 or 2 when it predicts that it will be harmful.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tread
Actually, if the guy is that over the edge that he doesnt release the clutch or doesnt know what gear he is in, or going to, then he deserves to blow an engine.

FYI, I have been driving a clutch for over 30 years, never had that happen, and I drive pretty hard.

No reply or flames needed.
hey not flaming you dude just wanted to clear up what happened. the guy released the clutch quickily because he wanted the car to take off he was testing the acceleration of his car. if you are use to driving a clutch during hard driving you shift and release clutch quickily to get the best acceleration. not suppose to release slowly, like normal smooth driving. after he released it the rpm's spiked, he quickly depressed the clutch when he realized his mistake. but by then it was too late the engine was making all sorts of clanking noises. i don't think the guy intended to run his engine at that speed in 2nd.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLGator
The TL's black box is extremely unprivate. For example, it sees you when you're sleeping. And I believe it also knows when you're awake. For certain it knows if you've been bad or good.

So my recommendation is to be good. At least, for goodness' sake.

This is in the manual, pp. 876-878, under the topic "You Think You Gonna Fuck With Acura? Acura Gonna Fuck With YOU!!"
ROTF LMAO

This is the first time in a long time this forum has actually made me laugh out loud. Bravo TLGator!
Old 04-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Instructor

I haven't owned a STD for a number of years but in my last car (1980 Toyota Corolla SR5 Hatchback) when you were travelling in fifth gear it would not let you put it in second. Some sort of mechanical interlock? Am I remembering this correctly?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

caball88,

Originally Posted by rets
[/size]

You may know this guy driving his BMW at speed approximately between 100 and 140 MPH at 5th gear/3-4k RPM.

I don't know how the manual tranny works... BUT if you drive 5AT 04TL, at 5th/140 MPH, we can say the ECU would not let you downshift to 3rd; at 5th/100 MPH, you won't be able to down to 2nd . Quite safe, right?...
:smokin:
Old 04-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Safety Car

not sure if the bmw's had this feature but my 1991 nissan 240sx didn't have this feature i was able to get it into 2nd gear from 5th. i didn't release the clutch but i was able to shift into it. the TL has an electronic lockout for reverse when you are moving foward. actually i don't think the TL has a lockout from 5th to 2nd.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Safety Car

not sure what you are expecting me to say rets, let me look up the thread on the bmw forum and see if i can find it.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Safety Car

ok i can't find the thread on the bmw message board but here is one from an RSX board. the person went from 5th to 2nd and blew his engine like the bmw.
RSX 5th to 2nd misshift
there were pictures but they are not there anymore. it would look like a bunch of metal parts in an oil pan.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:35 PM
Pro

Well there is something that can stop it... I dropped my Firebird into second doing about 80+ by accident and the back wheels locked up like I stomped on the brakes. I was fishtailing for a second or two until I went back up to third. Engine never got over 6K.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:40 PM
Pro

Two things....

First, they just had a report on TV of Harris County Sheriffs taking data off the black box on accidents. It gives them a LOT of info including braking, speed, wearing seatbelts etc. It only keeps the last 5 seconds of data, but that is enough on an accident.

Second, I do not see how someone can 'mistake' shifting into second. The syncros would not like that and it would require a lot of force to get into gear (my opinion) as opposed to fourth. I can even feel that the TL does not want to go into second easily at 40 when downshifting.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Safety Car

but it will go into 2nd won't it?

sorry that last link was dead
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=16883
Old 04-27-2004, 02:02 AM
Advanced

I agree with Formula 350. On the rare occation that I missed the 4th gate and hit the 2nd gate during a downshift from 5th, my syncos would start to wind up and I knew I was starting to miss my intended gear.

I find the bmw 5th to 2nd gear story hard to believe. It would take a lot of force and complete disregard to what your car was telling you to drop your clutch in the bmw situation that was discribed.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:35 AM
Safety Car

what about the RSX 6th to 2nd story then? that was recent and it was also an acura. there were pictures posted but i guess the host is no longer up. but if you were able to see that the engine was completed destroyed. i'm just telling you what i read on the forums. it didn't happen to me and it was not someone i knew.

Quick Reply: Is it true that the TL logs everything?