Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid Flush

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Fluid Flush

I am about to flush my transmission fluid and don't know where the opening is to refill. Does anyone have a DIY or pictures. I need this information as soon as possible. Any help would be great.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:03 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Are we talking manual or automatic? If it's manual, the opening is right by the base of your air filter box.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Its automatic and its an 04.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:19 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
According to this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/anybody-good-xp-89064/ it looks like it's in the same location as the MTF filler plug.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
please search for: trans 3x3
Its also in your owner book- dont have a book?- click here
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...404MAINIDX.pdf

Some people will say just drain 3 quarts (all the trans will give up of its 7.3 at a time) and add 3 new- thats all.
Others feel that is not doing much to actually change out the old fluid- so they do it this way called 3x3
Abbreviated directions: warm by 15 minutes drive, drain 3, add 3- drive 5 minutes, drain 3 add 3, drive 5 minutes, drain 3 add 3. you're done
ATF fill plug is big bolt on top of trans- driver side marked ATF
drain is under car rear of trans on passenger side- marked ATF right above it
That ~flushes~ out as much old fluid and gets new fluid into all the cracks and hiding spots.

DO NOT use a machine that power flushes the trans- bad news on TL

USE Honda ATF available honda dealer and some import parts stores, about 6-7 bucks a quart.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Team Owner

The idea on the 5 minute drive is to use each gear up and down so all the fluid gets moved thru. There is a new procedure from acura - if you happen to have a car lift at home like the dealer has. They simulate the 5 minute drive with car on the lift and run thru the gears.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
is the "new procedure' available at any Acura dealers.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

I couldn't find the bolt that is marked ATF. I found the dip stick. I have a CAI so I can a clear view to the trans. Does anyone have a pic.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Team Owner

farther toward the driver side fender than the dipstick
there should only be one bolt with a head about an inch in diameter right on top of the trans.

The NEW procedure was issued by Acura technical dept and posted on azine recently - i think as its own thread. I would trust the 3x3 way more than than Acura updated way for the dealer tech to make money
Old 02-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its a 04, so it might have the oil jet kit for the tranny. I think thats why you are having trouble finding it.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B04-020.PDF
Old 02-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Team Owner

ok- so if you looked down in the correct area and saw a crazy contraption thingy with a 10mm headed bolt holding it on- thats the external oil jet kit- remove bolt and pull straight out.
Dont worry-
The warranty replacement trans has that built inside (as do the new cars) so the bolt is what I know about
Sorry for being a thread jumper with only half the info- I will go back where I belong
Old 03-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
So does anyone have specific pics of how to do this?? I think my car needs new Transmission Fluid since it already has about 40k miles on the car since 06... Also because i'm going to the track next month.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
If a 40K 2006 TL needs it then what am I with 51K on an 06?!!!! Am I late?!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
^^ iono bro, but my buddies told me that it's about time I need to flush my tranny fluid.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Team Owner

acura has bumped up the change time in the service book, so depending on how you drive 30 or 60 k miles for the first time, then once a year after that would be a good idea

If its your first track day there wont be any abnormal strain put on the car,
just your brain will undergo new concepts in driving
Old 03-03-2008, 10:59 AM
The Darker the berry....

my 06 automatic has 28K but I'm gonna change the fluid with the 3X3 method now because I am getting some tranny whine thru the 1st couple of gears - hoping the new fluid will help.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
instead of the 3x3 method, I simply do a drain and refill every time I get my oil changed (approx 7500 miles)
Old 03-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Banned

A/T Flushing info from Acura:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/A080100.PDF
Old 03-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Team Owner

jetblack- have the dealer test drive the car BEFORE you do a fluid change
and see if there is a real problem before spending money it yourself.

leedog- if you think about what we are trying to accomplish with the trans fluid change- you would do a 3x3 once a year or so
Simply changing less than 1/2 the fluid is only combining old and new- how is that going to provide the best lubrication and COOLING to the trans?

When you change the engine oil, do you drain 2- add 2, maybe change the filter, and call it done right? out of 4.7 total capacity?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Team Owner

The info on the link is meant for dealer techs who need to get things done in a hurry.
It does make sure you go thru every gear to push the fluid out the holding/hiding places and into the pan for draining.

As long as you do a complete job- either way works fine.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

leedog- if you think about what we are trying to accomplish with the trans fluid change- you would do a 3x3 once a year or so
Simply changing less than 1/2 the fluid is only combining old and new- how is that going to provide the best lubrication and COOLING to the trans?

When you change the engine oil, do you drain 2- add 2, maybe change the filter, and call it done right? out of 4.7 total capacity?
If I'm constantly cycling in new ATF with each oil change, then wouldnt that accomplish the same thing? I'm averaging like 25k/yr right now so thats like 3 oil changes/transmission flushes per year...
Old 03-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Team Owner

Ony if you believe the fluid does not circulate, but just moves a small distance back and forth like brake fluid does. Thats a totally different type of system.

Inside the transmission are places fluid gets mixed together- like inside the torque convertor, while other parts are under pressure flow that moves fluid as it changes thru the gears.

All you get with partial change is a severly diluted formula of fluid. Cooling is the issue with our trans, so ALL fresh fluid is best way to go 1 time a year.
The trans capacity is about 7.3 qts, because of the capacity of the torque convertor. Thats why we can only get 3 quarts to drain out at a time. Then you add new fluid and run thru the gears and rev the engine- to make the torque convertor move its contents along to the next part...
either 3x3 with 5 minute drive between, just enough to run it thru the gears up and down and get back home, or the NEW dealer method as posted in the link above.
They are simulating a drive around the block.

California used to do static rev testing for smog test and switched to a rolling wheel test because it was hard on cars engine, and the cat convertor~
Old 03-03-2008, 04:08 PM
The Darker the berry....

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
To be honest, I don't trust the dealerships. They might diagnose a tranny problem and it could turn out to be a pully in the power-steering or A/C or something like that. First thing they'll probably say is "change the tranny fluid - $200". Also, when they say they change the tranny fluid, how can you be sure they did the proper method? I take it to my own shop, I can watch them thru the whole procedure and it'll cost me maybe $60? Also, they can probably diagnose it pretty well too and they won't charge me extra (I'm getting my brakes done there). I figured it was time for a tranny fluid change anyway, so I might as well eliminate that as a source of the problem, and get a "pre-diagnosis" before I take it to the stealership for the problem to be fixed under warranty - knowing them, they'll probably try to blame it on my exhaust....
Old 03-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Team Owner

ok whatever you want to do- its your money

Did you have some horrible experience with a warranty issue and the dealer before?, because warranty replacement transmissions are a normal part of the techs week!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:48 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how many miles before changing out the tranny fulid? my mec said i didnt need it, im in an 05 with 31k miles
Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Team Owner

If you go by acuras decision to shorten the change interval on the new cars,
You are due now, and then once a year. Many wait till 60, others never get it done.
I think its good preventative---and I am on a warranty replacement trans in my 01
Old 03-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by PeteThaPitbull
how many miles before changing out the tranny fulid? my mec said i didnt need it, im in an 05 with 31k miles
I have a 2006 and just confirmed in the shop manual that the Severe Maintenance calls for a ATF change at 60K. I'm surprised that there is no max time threshold like you see for other components of the car. I have only 16K miles on mine so I have no idea when the MID gives the '3' code indicating a ATF change.

I will probably change (not flush) mine at 20-25K intervals to get the equivalent of a complete change before 60K miles. Seems like there should be more crud on the magnetic plug earlier in my car's life than later so an earlier change may be a good thing rather than a later change and doing a complete flush. That seems like a reasonable compromise between cost/time and actual benefit. I'm having issues with doing a flush each time- especially when the manual states you only have to do a flush when you use non-Z1 fluid and wish to convert back to Z1. Even with a full 3x flush there will be some old liquid in the tranny just a lot less than a single change so there will still be some old fluid in the tranny.

It would be nice to see a poll on the frequency of ATF changes .vs. actual transmission failures to see if changing the ATF actually makes a statistically valid improvement for the life of the tranny. It might take a few years more to see the results but would be interesting.

The Consumer Reports Annual Car Reliability Survey shows the all 3rd Generation TL years have a full Red/good Dot (the 2002-2003 TLs have a black/bad full dot in comparison). The red dot means < 1% failure rate and a black dot means > 3% failure rate. This data seems consistent with other Honda V6 vehicles as well. So the people experiencing transmission failures are a clear minority of owners compared to other makes of vehicles.

Summary: it's unproven whether flushing the ATF makes a big difference. The flush seems like a reasonable assumption, but doesn't guarantee a tranny failure won't occur. The actual tranny failure rate is not (yet) common for 3rd gen cars based on Consumer Reports data so this is not something I will stress about now. I'll wait to see if 2004 models drop to average or worse before worrying about the transmission. I'd be more concerned about the weaker areas of: brakes, paint/trim, and body integrity (i.e. squeeks, etc.). None of those areas are high cost issues so the TL is pretty good maintenance wise.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Team Owner

while the BOOK says 60 (what a laugh that book ~suggested ~ is)-
go to the dealer and they have signs saying 30 is time for a change
Doing 3 qts drain and replace is a total waste of money. Look beyond the book and think physics and basic science. I posted a full explanation in earlier post.
We do get most of it changed on a 3x3- the total capacity is 7.3, so we change out 9 qts.
How is that not good in your world?

It doesnt really help- that has any proven record to change it often-, but it cant hurt either to do it once every 2 years- or once a year if you drive in traffic and it shifts in the lower gears alot.
Change the brake fluid too, I know the book says after 3 years then every year...but change yours and you will be surprised already
Old 03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Drifting

Wow that was a fast reply! Just like oil change intervals, everyone will have their own opinion and will abide by it. I stated my opinion on this matter as you have also. It's very common for people to trade cars every 4-5 years so many of us may not even benefit from doing any excessive maintenance anyway.

If you really read my post, I never said it was BAD doing a 3x3 flush- only that it appears unnecessary when you're replacing with Honda Z1 fluid anyway. Until there is more evidence that a 3x3 REALLY does improve the life of my tranny, I'm going to follow the BOOK! Dealers often have their own agenda on recommended service, so I wouldn't take their word anyway unless they or Honda are paying for this incremental cost. Dealers try to sale extended service agreements, paint sealants, undercoatings and other things that the typical driver doesn't need because it helps their bottom line on each sale- not because you actually need these items.

Someone else a few days ago noted the flush .vs. change reasoning by scanning the manual. Everyone can make their own decision on what to do themselves. I tried to evaluate the extremes of changing the ATF every 7.5K to 60K for severe maintenance and found a compromise solution for myself that appears to balance things.

I'm inclined to believe that tranny failures are more due to how the car is driven or the design of the transmission than whether or not the owner performed a 3x3 every 30k miles.
Do you think Mini Cooper owners can eliminate their tranny failures doing a 3x3 flush? I hope not. Based on CU research the tranny failures are not an issue for 3rd gen owners yet.

While the 2nd gen TLs have had their problems, I have some faith that honda has done some engineering improvements for my 06. I guess I may find out in another 4 years, but I mostly likely I will have a different car anyway. It might be an issue for the 2nd owner to deal with possibly. I sincerely doubt that a future buyer in 4 years of my car will really care much about 3x3 fluid changes and whether or not I performed them. They'll be more concern about other issues predominantly price.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Team Owner

I dont care when you change the trans fluid- if ever-- but basic logic and actual science says diluting a worn dirty oil with partial new oil is not going to benefit the trans.

Your precious BOOK was written over a decade ago, is written to conform to US Govt mandates of less maitenance required- and other factors.
Are you aware of the 5-20W oil scam change to help acura meet CAFE standards?

The dealer has the most curent info from CORP techs on what to do.
Of course they want to sell you add-ons-like paint protection and the things you mentioned(has anyone ever been offered these after the intital new car sale? NO)
which is different than doing a proper service while the car in IN FOR SERVICE.
I stand by my analogy of 2 qt engine oil changes are the same as 3 qt trans fluid change.

CU- pttttt- for actual info read azine gen3 threads on trans failure.
They are dropping like flies and earlier miles than gen2 did. Not as many YET- but the car is young. Same trans with more motor- sounded like a good idea I'm sure!!!!
Acura did not have a fix in 03- that was a lawsuit/court VIN number bs thing.
04 has the same trans- they fail- 05-same story...06- remains to be seen

My opinions are based on too much acurazine thread reading, my working in a dealership as a tech- and in private shops, and decades of being involved with street and race vehicles on land, sea and air.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Drifting

By book, I'm referring to the Acura TL Service Manual and not the owners manual. I'm
assuming the 2006 service manual would have the latest information regarding the 06 model and
not rely on 10 year old data, but I could be wrong.

All I can say is if you're basing frequency of failure on what you read in Acurazine-
you'll be way off in your conclusions. The Acurazine membership is just a fraction of
the population of TL drivers and these are the 'enthusiasts' that are interested in
performance and are by their nature probably harder on their cars in the first place.
Acurazine also doesn't cover the more popular Honda v6 models that have many of the same
drivetrain components too. I mean look there are recent threads today on why the ATF
shifts out of 1st at 6.8K and not 7K. Behavior like that can't be good on a TL or any
transmission.

The CU research is what I believe to be the best scientific method I know for
assessing maintenance for the TL or any car because it samples a lot more people
than just acurazine members. Every year I fill out that survey form and thousands
of others do the same as me. If there is not enough data for a particular model then
CU says insufficient data. The TL has plenty of data so CUs findings hold water
in my book.

Your analogy regarding oil changes has merit, but I still haven't read any real
evidence on your claims. For example, I would be very interested in hearing about a
'Blackstone Analysis' or equivalent of your ATF changes to see what's up with the
deposits or additives in the oil. An oil analysis would seem like the best way of
truly knowing if your claims have merit or not. Check out the Bobistheoilguy web site
and you'll see some hardcore analysis on this subject. For an original owner like
myself I would rather have this transmission fail early under warranty than after
warranty if it's actually going to fail.

Paying an extra $48 and spending an extra hour doing 2 additional fluid changes is
significant to me when there is no evidence from Honda (formally via shop manual)
that it helps PREVENT the problems. It's not clear to me what the transmission
problems really are even. Now don't assume that I'm a cheap-skate and only do the
required service because that would not be a correct assumption. I use good
synthetic oils, good oil filters and take good care of my car. I'm not into
potentially throwing money and time into efforts that have no proven outcome. There
are lots of other car makes that would have the same general need for doing a N x N
flush because auto-transmissions all have some form of torque convertor that contains
fluid.

I do understand that your pay is based on how much work you and your dealership does
so I also think that you may have a slant that many of the DIYs on this forum may not
fully take as gospel. Since you work on these cars, what are the parts that you tend
o replace in the tranny that actually fail? What are the stats coming into your dealership
regarding 3rd generation TLs. Are you seeing one 2004 TL a week or more? This is data
that inquiring minds would like to know that you presumably have access to.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Team Owner

Other type of cars can use the suction pump and empty the torque convertor- we cant

Why dont you email bob and ask if its better to dilute trans oil or replace it all.
You nailed it on the ADDATIVES wear out.

What I read on azine gen3 threads from a dealer tech was 1-3 gen2 replacements a week and that has tapered down. Gen 3 trans warranty replacements about 1 per week or 2. They are still young but are failing very early comapred to gen2

I am NOT currently a pro tech anywhere and have not been in several years.
I know how they operate- been in the biz- thats my input on handling warranty claims and such. Helping get past the Dealer bs is what I like to do for other members, as my payback/pay-forward for what I learned from posting by others here.
I have NO finacial interest in any parts or service you have done on your car,
nor any VENDORS on this site. I love my car- read azine threads for my gen and can share that info now. If I try a product and like it- I tell others

Acura does not rebuild the trans themself- they have a place- the replacements are just that, shipped from a warehouse to the dealer on demand.
Yes Azine members have a higher rate of failure reports, because it is a known to the search engines as a- tech forum
Type in 2001 TL + problems and you will go to the trans failure thread!
Look at gen3 thread on same subject- failures at 20-30k miles- thats not a promising start for the 04-05s
Dont change the fluid until the Maitenance section of the owner book requires and all will be well. The trans is either going to fail or its not- there is no in between
We have members with gen2 and 150k miles on original trans- yes they did have the dealer services as per the book.
But thats only 1 example. Our Gen2 moderator went thru 5 trans in 200k miles!!!
my 01 trans went at 68k miles, never had the fluid changed, didnt matter at all to the dealer who replaced trans under warranty. Now its low 80s and acting up big time- Warranty replacement again- yeah!
Whats the gen3 warranty on the trans anyway?
Old 03-07-2008, 11:51 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

When i refilled the trans. fluid on my accord v6 i filled it thru the dipstick hole. Can i do it on the TL or should i fill it thru the atf fill bolt as per manual?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:04 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

i am confused...

the dealer says 12 qt

so we are only suppose to use 9 qt for 3x method?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Team Owner

to do it totally right- 12 would run a full 9 thru the system and get the old stuff out
If 9 is good then 12 is better
Old 04-17-2008, 08:03 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

dealer wants $190 for this method.....
Old 04-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Team Owner

DIY man- its easier than changing oil
Old 04-17-2008, 08:38 PM
3G TL

you could probably get them at 5.80 per qt if u buy a case. The dealership parts guy hooked up the price break when i went in there for 9 qts at 7.25/qt. He straight up said if you buy 3 more, i can give it to you for 5.80/qt. total for the two qty were pretty much in the same ballpark so what the heck, 12 it was!
Old 06-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Advanced

anyone have a picture of where the fill plug is on at manual 04 tl ?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by dea7hr0w
anyone have a picture of where the fill plug is on at manual 04 tl ?
Do a search and you'll find one. It is basically directly under the ribbed coupling end close to the connection with the air filter box. It is a female 3/8" "plug" and is marked with something like a magic marker.