27.84%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Trans fluid, GM Synchromesh or Honda MT fluid...your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans fluid, GM Synchromesh or Honda MT fluid...your opinions

When I get my 30,000 mile maintenance done (which won't be for another 5500 miles) I plan to have the dealer change my transmission fluid to the GM Synchromesh or the Honda MT fluid.

I have read threads that so both work very well when it comes to solving the issue with hard shifting into 3rd gear at times. Let me know which you think is better at solving that problem.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:34 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I put in the synchromesh. It was done such a long time ago I cant really compare the two but I do remember noticing a difference in the shift quality...either because the GM stuff was in there or simply because there was new fluid.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:54 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i did the GM stuff at 12k, now I'm at 19K and can say that I have no issues with any gear ...hope that when I install the short shifter running thru the gears will be more fun....
Old 05-20-2006, 04:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
People have had good results w/GM SFM. Redline MTL has worked well for some as well.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Advanced

I've used both fluids on other cars and I honestly can say there was no difference. If you happen to notice a big difference then there is something wrong with your tranny that you shouldn't try and hide with a lubricant for too long.

if your tranny is in good working order, Honda MTF does the job just fine.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Man of God.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couldn't take the poll...

Because I went with RedLine MTF. Nice and ssssmmmmmoooootttthhhhh!!!
And it's cheaper than the GM product.
In doing some research RedLine seems to be "The One" With (in some peoples minds) Amsoil coming in 2nd. I say you cant go to far off using ether one.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocket Man
I've used both fluids on other cars and I honestly can say there was no difference. If you happen to notice a big difference then there is something wrong with your tranny that you shouldn't try and hide with a lubricant for too long.

I would say other cars dont have anything to do with the TL unless they use the same tranny. Many if not all people report issues at 5000 miles or less, so its
not really a problem but maybe the wrong choice of fluid used in the transmission.

The GM MTF FM removed my 3rd gear issues as soon as I put it in, as it allows the syncros to do their job.

Yesterday, I mixed 50/50 GM and honda mtf, and the shifting is not as good as with just the GM stuff, but its ok so far. In the TL, the trans lube does the differential as well, and the GM stuff is a little thinner, which may be why it works so good with the syncros. Thinner lube may not be as good for the differential as the honda stuff, who knows, that is why I went with a 50/50 mix.

Brett
Old 05-21-2006, 08:04 PM
Racer

Yup, same results here. My 3rd gear problem disappeared as soon as I switched to the GM stuff. Hasnt resurfaced yet after 7-8k miles of driving.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:27 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiritman
Because I went with RedLine MTF. Nice and ssssmmmmmoooootttthhhhh!!!
And it's cheaper than the GM product.
In doing some research RedLine seems to be "The One" With (in some peoples minds) Amsoil coming in 2nd. I say you cant go to far off using ether one.
Spiritman...
I'm on the fence. GM Synchromesh or Redline MTL myself.

I know numerous folks in the VW community are using the Synchromesh fluid, and have a tendency to choose it over the Redline, predominantly to the cold shifting stiffness.

Just curious if you've experienced any shifting issues in the winter on cold startup?
Have you tried the GM stuff?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Man of God.....

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Spiritman...
I'm on the fence. GM Synchromesh or Redline MTL myself.

I know numerous folks in the VW community are using the Synchromesh fluid, and have a tendency to choose it over the Redline, predominantly to the cold shifting stiffness.

Just curious if you've experienced any shifting issues in the winter on cold startup?
Have you tried the GM stuff?
OK, I have only had my TL for about 6k miles. Changed to the RedLine at 5k. So I haven't had a chance to try the RedLine in the cold yet. But it did smooth out the stick. I only once felt a hitch going into 3rd. She drop's right into 1st from neutral at the lights. So why pay more for less? Or at least the same? I think GM-RedLine are very close. I went with the RedLine....
Old 05-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts

big

:ibadobeman:
Old 05-22-2006, 12:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brettg
I would say other cars dont have anything to do with the TL unless they use the same tranny. Many if not all people report issues at 5000 miles or less, so its
not really a problem but maybe the wrong choice of fluid used in the transmission.

The GM MTF FM removed my 3rd gear issues as soon as I put it in, as it allows the syncros to do their job.

Yesterday, I mixed 50/50 GM and honda mtf, and the shifting is not as good as with just the GM stuff, but its ok so far. In the TL, the trans lube does the differential as well, and the GM stuff is a little thinner, which may be why it works so good with the syncros. Thinner lube may not be as good for the differential as the honda stuff, who knows, that is why I went with a 50/50 mix.

Brett
that's probably where you and I differ in our philosophies. I'd do the same as you if I bought a used car out of warranty. But on a new car?! No way. If I ever get this 3rd gear problem that early on, I'll make sure Acura fixes this problem. A 3rd gear grind after 5000 miles?! that's ridiculous and I'm not going to put up with that. That's why we have warranties and partly why I buy a new car.

If all you TL owners would voice your concerns to Acura then maybe then can do something about it (improve the design) and send out a TSB. If you continue to go about your own way then they may not hear about this issue and it won't get resolved. They can't help you unless you let them know.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:14 AM
Burning Brakes

that's probably where you and I differ in our philosophies. I'd do the same as you if I bought a used car out of warranty. But on a new car?! No way. If I ever get this 3rd gear problem that early on, I'll make sure Acura fixes this problem. A 3rd gear grind after 5000 miles?! that's ridiculous and I'm not going to put up with that. That's why we have warranties and partly why I buy a new car.

If all you TL owners would voice your concerns to Acura then maybe then can do something about it (improve the design) and send out a TSB. If you continue to go about your own way then they may not hear about this issue and it won't get resolved. They can't help you unless you let them know.
Then you would be making a big mistake.
People have gone that route, getting the transmission 'fixed' and the problem came right back.
Rather than have some bozo take my trans all apart, I would just change the fluid...

The fluid fixes 100% of the issues people report, and the trans 'fix/replacement has fixed no ones issue for longer than 1000 miles.

I think people here have had their trans 'fixed', got the problem back, then changed the fluid and that fixed the problem.
In some cases, the dealer actualy put the GM stuff in....

By the way, Acura knows about the issue, and put a tsb out about it warning people not to skip shift!

Brett
Old 05-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can't take the poll either!!

Personally I prefer RedLine over the GM stuff. At 20,000 I changed over to GM synchromesh and felt a big difference. Just a few weeks ago I hit 30,000 and decided to change the trannyfluid. I went with RedLine to see if there was going to be a difference and there was. I think RedLine is smoother than the GM Synchromesh, with no problems hot or cold. Plus its cheaper too.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:34 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by redrum4me
Just a few weeks ago I hit 30,000 and decided to change the trannyfluid. I went with RedLine to see if there was going to be a difference and there was. I think RedLine is smoother than the GM Synchromesh, with no problems hot or cold. Plus its cheaper too.
If you changed your fluid a few weeks ago, you have yet to experience cold shifting...
When you cold start the car in the winter, and it's below freezing... That's what I want to know.
I used Redline MTL in my VW, and it was fine in the summer, but during the NoVA winter, it was quite stiff and notchy at startup... and given it was a TDI, it took quite a while to warm up.

Looks like all the the lomg term feedback available points to GM fluids... I've only found one guy here that has used redline for a year, and swapped it out for GM stuff after that.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Advanced

Then you would be making a big mistake.
People have gone that route, getting the transmission 'fixed' and the problem came right back.
Rather than have some bozo take my trans all apart, I would just change the fluid...

The fluid fixes 100% of the issues people report, and the trans 'fix/replacement has fixed no ones issue for longer than 1000 miles.

I think people here have had their trans 'fixed', got the problem back, then changed the fluid and that fixed the problem.
In some cases, the dealer actualy put the GM stuff in....

By the way, Acura knows about the issue, and put a tsb out about it warning people not to skip shift!

Brett
I'm going to have to disagree that bringing it back would be a big mistake....even if the problem does not get fixed, if they keep repairing it, it'll either qualify it as a lemon (not too sure what the lemon laws are like in your area and I'm sure they differ a bit from the canadian laws) or they'll eventually give you the newer model of it that is problem-free. Case-in-point, I have a few close friends who had '02 RSX-S's and they had numerous problems with the tranny (1st gear grind, popping out of 2nd, etc etc) and they kept going back and getting warranty work done. Eventually, they were just given new '04 trannies that did not have the same issues. Another close friend had a early model '04 TSX that was going through oil at a rate about 1L/800-1000kms. He kept going back for warranty repairs and when they couldn't solve the problem, he eventually got a '06 TSX block put into his '04 TSX that did not have the oil burning issue.

My point is that if you get it repaired and the problem persists, keep pushing and eventually you'll get it resolved, the proper way. That's why we have warranties. I'm not sure if the 3rd gear problems are for the 04-05 models or for the 04-06 models but since you say that there is a TSB out, chances are, the issue will be resolved very soon (if not already). So instead of hiding their design flaw with a different lubricant, you could be getting the properly designed tranny. That's just the way I like to have things done. I'll follow the book (Honda MTF) and that way, there can be absolutely no issue with it be covered under warranty and they'll keep seeing my car until it is resolved. I'm not going to let them off the hook with their design flaw.

p.s. what's skip shift? never heard of that term before.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you changed your fluid a few weeks ago, you have yet to experience cold shifting...
When you cold start the car in the winter, and it's below freezing... That's what I want to know.
I used Redline MTL in my VW, and it was fine in the summer, but during the NoVA winter, it was quite stiff and notchy at startup... and given it was a TDI, it took quite a while to warm up.

Looks like all the the lomg term feedback available points to GM fluids... I've only found one guy here that has used redline for a year, and swapped it out for GM stuff after that.
I was referring to the third gear problem that the original poster was feeling.

Instead of hot or cold I should have said ".... with the car warmed up or after it was sitting overnight. The temps ranging from 54 degrees to 83 degrees Fahrenheit." Sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm going to have to disagree that bringing it back would be a big mistake....even if the problem does not get fixed, if they keep repairing it, it'll either qualify it as a lemon (not too sure what the lemon laws are like in your area and I'm sure they differ a bit from the canadian laws) or they'll eventually give you the newer model of it that is problem-free. Case-in-point, I have a few close friends who had '02 RSX-S's and they had numerous problems with the tranny (1st gear grind, popping out of 2nd, etc etc) and they kept going back and getting warranty work done. Eventually, they were just given new '04 trannies that did not have the same issues. Another close friend had a early model '04 TSX that was going through oil at a rate about 1L/800-1000kms. He kept going back for warranty repairs and when they couldn't solve the problem, he eventually got a '06 TSX block put into his '04 TSX that did not have the oil burning issue.

My point is that if you get it repaired and the problem persists, keep pushing and eventually you'll get it resolved, the proper way. That's why we have warranties. I'm not sure if the 3rd gear problems are for the 04-05 models or for the 04-06 models but since you say that there is a TSB out, chances are, the issue will be resolved very soon (if not already). So instead of hiding their design flaw with a different lubricant, you could be getting the properly designed tranny. That's just the way I like to have things done. I'll follow the book (Honda MTF) and that way, there can be absolutely no issue with it be covered under warranty and they'll keep seeing my car until it is resolved. I'm not going to let them off the hook with their design flaw.

p.s. what's skip shift? never heard of that term before.

So far, all year TL's have the problem, although maybe not every car.
Its not really a problem, but an annoyance, many would think its normal...
Unless they change the fluid, the 2007 is likely do do the same thing.

Personaly, I dont have time and wont go through all the hassle of going back to the dealers over and over and letting them screw up my car, its not been back in a year, and it wont go back unless the transmission falls out of the car.

Skip shifting is when you go from say 2nd gear to 4th.
Going any gear to 5th or 6th is ok as 5th and 6th do not have syncros....

Brett
Old 05-23-2006, 05:00 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
So far, all year TL's have the problem, although maybe not every car.
Its not really a problem, but an annoyance, many would think its normal...
Unless they change the fluid, the 2007 is likely do do the same thing.

Personaly, I dont have time and wont go through all the hassle of going back to the dealers over and over and letting them screw up my car, its not been back in a year, and it wont go back unless the transmission falls out of the car.

Skip shifting is when you go from say 2nd gear to 4th.
Going any gear to 5th or 6th is ok as 5th and 6th do not have syncros....

Brett
Hey Brett;

Who told you that 5th and 6th gears are not synchronized? All forward speeds AND reverse on our transmissions are synchronized.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Burning Brakes

http://hondanews.com/CatID3014?mid=2...57629&mime=asc

Read the 6 speed manual info, it says 1st throu 4th have syncros....

Brett
Old 05-23-2006, 06:35 PM
2005 - Anthracite TL 6MT

Thumbs up Dual Syncro's in 1-4

I think the features list in hondnews refers to the advanced dual cone syncro design for gears 1-4. The higher gears don't beat up on the syncros as much so a single cone is ok there.

Just my read on the issue. No doubt there are syncros for all gears.

Great topic here. I've got 6,000 miles and bought Redline MTF about 3 months ago but have yet to do the deed. I'll change this weekend, it needs it more than ever - must be getting more slippery.

Regards.
Mark
Old 05-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Skeet Skeet Skeet

I've been using it in my gsr for a while now when I had a slight 3rd gear grind now I have now grinds at all
Old 05-25-2006, 05:11 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark - Detroit
I think the features list in hondnews refers to the advanced dual cone syncro design for gears 1-4. The higher gears don't beat up on the syncros as much so a single cone is ok there.

Just my read on the issue. No doubt there are syncros for all gears.

Great topic here. I've got 6,000 miles and bought Redline MTF about 3 months ago but have yet to do the deed. I'll change this weekend, it needs it more than ever - must be getting more slippery.

Regards.
Mark
You're correct about the multi-cone synchros in gears 1 through 4 for the manual TL. If this transmission were not fully synchronized, it would be maybe the first for a passenger car since, I believe, about 1954.

Simplest way to determine this is.. when shifting into 5th or 6th gear, does the tranny grind?

Anyway, we all know that the TL manual is a fully synchronized transmission.. including reverse.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:45 PM
7th Gear

Skip Shift

Very disappointed in Acura with their TSB admonishing drivers from "skip shifting." It seems like nothing more than a weaseling out of a known problem by fabricating an excuse, at our expense. The owner's manual says nothing about skip shifting, and it is certainly not commonly thought to be an incorrect method of shifting. In fact, the Corvette (and I think other cars using that engine, like the GTO and Caddy CTS-V) force the shifter to go from 1st to 4th under most driving conditions. I made a quick check on line and found a site that tells folks how to drive a manual trans. It mentioned skip shifting, but said it was fine. If it is a problem, it is definitely not commonly known. So, if that's the case, and since the owners' manual does not advise against it, Acura had better not try to void a warranty claiming it was abuse!

By the way - a cute warning in the owner's manual in the transmission section - says that if you crash, you may be injured. Wow! Sure glad they pointed that out.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:47 PM
7th Gear

FYI - my local dealer won't put in the GM lubricant - at least not yet. Says it will void the warranty. If I understand correctly, the Redline is a Honda product, so maybe they will try that.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Racer

I'm definitely not going to do anything to void the warranty as I purchased the extended warranty instead of going for the Navi.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tally TL
FYI - my local dealer won't put in the GM lubricant - at least not yet. Says it will void the warranty. If I understand correctly, the Redline is a Honda product, so maybe they will try that.
Redline is not a Honda product either...
Old 05-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Drifting

I switched to GM fluid last year and have no regrets. The shifter is much smoother, and the grinding I used to get when the tranny was cold went away. It's a much more refined fluid than Honda MTF. My dealer told me it was OK to use, and should a problem develop later on, just switch it back to Honda MTF before filing a warranty claim...nobody will ever know.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Racer

I will check with my dealer before doing anything. I would only put in the GM stuff if they are willing to do it and can gaurantee it won't void my extended warranty. If they insist on Honda MTF then that's what I will go with. The problem for me is not important enough to risk voiding my extended warranty. That is another reason I wouldn't even DARE to do any DIY work on my car. If the Honda MTF will improve the shifting into 3rd gear, and that's what my dealer will only put in, then my decision has pretty much been made for me. I just think it would be pretty dumb of me to pay 1700.00 for an extended warranty only to not have it cover transmission items because I insisted on putting in a transmission fluid that the dealer did not give it's blessing to.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Racer

The GM fluid is a huge difference in cold weather. I do not notice any difference in hot weather, but my car was always fine then anyway. It an easy change to DIY. The only special tool was a 3/8 drive universal joint to get at the top plug, but you can get this at any Sears.

One of my local Honda dealers sells Redline products, so it may be easier to get that installed if the dealer is your only option.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Weather Watcher

I also made the switch to the GM fluid at 24k miles the change was like night and day for me. It shifts like butter now. I'm trying to find time to install the Comptech SS so I can enjoy the drive even more. But if you haven't done it - do it - its a simple DIY project that anyone with a slight knowledge of how to use tools can do.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Racer

I am not a DIY'er nor do I care to be. First off, I am not about to risk screwing my car up since I would not have a clue as to what I am doing. Second, I live in a condo and lack the facilities for any of these projects. Third, I am not going to risk voiding a 1700.00 extended warranty to do something that the dealer won't do. While I applaud people that like DIY projects I have also seen several circumstances where people have screwed themselves over by doing something themselves. I refuse to be one of those people. So if my dealer won't change the fluid to GM Syncrhomesh....then I go with Honda MTF. If I still experience notchiness going into 3rd gear then I will bring it up to my dealer. It matters not to me since it would all be covered under warranty and costs me nothing.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Adamo0926
I will check with my dealer before doing anything. I would only put in the GM stuff if they are willing to do it and can gaurantee it won't void my extended warranty. If they insist on Honda MTF then that's what I will go with. The problem for me is not important enough to risk voiding my extended warranty. That is another reason I wouldn't even DARE to do any DIY work on my car. If the Honda MTF will improve the shifting into 3rd gear, and that's what my dealer will only put in, then my decision has pretty much been made for me. I just think it would be pretty dumb of me to pay 1700.00 for an extended warranty only to not have it cover transmission items because I insisted on putting in a transmission fluid that the dealer did not give it's blessing to.
I just got my oil changed a couple weeks ago and told my dealer about the 3rd gear problem. I printed up one of the threads from acurazine to show them that it's a pretty common issue. They went out and bought the GM Synchromesh and so far I haven't had any problems. I can feel it shifting much smoother too.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Racer

apnorm.....that's good to know....I am definitely going to check with my dealer. More than likely they will want to try the Honda MTF first and I would be ok with that. But if that doesn't work I am going to have them look into the GM stuff.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tally TL
Dealer is an idiot. Red Line is not a Honda product.

Honda uses a transaxle, not a differential.

Current best fluid I have used is MTL-P by Specialty Formulations.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:27 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Road Rage

Better than the GM stuff ???

Tell us more.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:04 PM

Better than the GM stuff ???

Tell us more.
I've never used it, but here's what I know about it.

1) The guy who formulates this stuff doesn't cut corners, and you can reach him via "Molakule" on theoildrop.server101.com

2) It is a Group IV (PAO)/V (Ester) type fluid, which are the best baseoils you can use for a manual transmission lubricant. OTOH, GM's fluid is a part synthetic if memory serves me correct.

3) It has a very high TBN.

4) It costs $45/gal including shipping, which is on-par with the GM stuff.

That's all I know...
Old 06-02-2006, 04:54 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Road Rage

Road Rage...
I've read enough of your old posts to figure out you either have a pretty good idea about what you're talking about or are a really good BS'r...

With that said, I've been pouring over your posts with regard to MT fluids. I actually purchased the GMFSM and am waiting for my next service interval to install it, yet...

None of your previous posts give MTL-P any significantly positve remarks (albeit most are from over a year ago), and you seem to swear by the GM stuff. Micheal Wan endorses the MTL-P, and that's almost good enough for me, but now that you also seem onboard, I'm really curious.

Your post above seems to come out of nowhere... Just curious what data/analysis/gutfeel makes you say that.

Just curious, I'm ready to order a gallon of SF MTL-P if it's the stuff the knowledgaeable folks prefer. Just looking from input from the mad scientist.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2006, 11:13 PM

Well, in short, RR installed the MTL-P into his S2000's transmission recently....

Seems like RL has given others good results as well.

To this day, I still don't care for the GM regardless of how well it works, as GM has not done any testing in Honda transmissions to verify fluid compatibility and adequate anti-wear protection. If something goes wrong, you're on your own...

Thats all I have to say.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Personal experience...

I changed the oil in my MT today and used GM-SFM as the new fill. I had been using Redline MTL for the last two years.

When I first got the TL I didn't like the shifting, it just felt a bit coarse and inprecise. Many early MT owners made the same observation, so I decided to try Redline MTL to see if it would help as many folks had recommended it. And it did help, for a while anyway. But, over time, the shifting started to get something of a rubbery feel to it, sort of as if the linkage was laging the shifter movement. The shifting was never as bad as with the Honda MTL, but not the greatest feeling either.

After putting in the GM-SFM the change in shifting feel was immediate and pronounced. The shifting action now feels precise and connected as opposed to the Redline MTL's somewhat disconnected and rubbery feel. The tranny goes readily into each gear with a positive feel that was never there before.

Several of the MT crowd here have been talking up the GM-SFM as a great MT fill and, after putting it myself, I can completely understand why they've so strongly recommended it. The change in the MT's shifting character and behavior is a substantial and welcome improvement.

Count me as one of the convinced that GM-SFM is a good choice for the TL MT.

Quick Reply: Trans fluid, GM Synchromesh or Honda MT fluid...your opinions