3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded in beloved TL today for the new Camry SE mistress!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the call today, drove down to pick up the new SE. Actually it arrived a week early which was a nice suprise. Had made the deal 2 weeks ago so paperwork was fast. Checked it out carefully inside/out and also test drove it for the obvious possible rattles or funny transmission irregularities. Per request car had 3 miles on it. Got a decent trade in $ for my 04TL which had 41K miles. It really did not matter how I had pampered it with MObil 1, filter changes, clear bra, new Pirelli's etc. Wanted more on the TL but they were really cold appraisers. Just could not deal with private buyers, tire kickers and possible bogus cashiers checks, so just did it and moved on. A funny feeling handing over manuals, keys and a perfect car- the new owner will be a lucky person. The ride/suspension really is where the SE shines, coming close to the magic German touch. Had trouble keeping it under 80 on the interstate, really is smooth as butter and not realizing you go that fast. Steering is solid and tracking straight as can be. Great quiet cabin, no road, wind noise and it also looks nice. With its new styling it is almost indistinquisable from the Lexus line. Gonna put another clear bra on since it needs it with all the road debri. Have enjoyed you all these last 2 years. You are a dedicated bunch and consider yourself lucky with this professionally set up site. Will look in from time to time. Happy motoring. We'll miss you.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Got the call today, drove down to pick up the new SE. Actually it arrived a week early which was a nice suprise. Had made the deal 2 weeks ago so paperwork was fast. Checked it out carefully inside/out and also test drove it for the obvious possible rattles or funny transmission irregularities. Per request car had 3 miles on it. Got a decent trade in $ for my 04TL which had 41K miles. It really did not matter how I had pampered it with MObil 1, filter changes, clear bra, new Pirelli's etc. Wanted more on the TL but they were really cold. Just could not deal with private buyers, tire kickers and possible bogus cashiers checks, so just did it and moved on. A funny feeling handing over manuals, keys and a perfect car- the new owner will be a lucky person. The ride/suspension really is where the SE shines, coming close to the magic German touch. Had trouble keeping it under 80 on the interstate, really is smooth as butter and not realizing you go fast. Steering is solid and tracking straight as can be. Great quiet cabin, no road, wind noise and it also looks nice. With its new styling it is almost indistinquisable from the Lexus line. Gonna put another clear bra on since it needs it with all the road debri. Have enjoyed you all these last 2 years. You are a dedicated bunch and consider yourself lucky with this professionally set up site. Will look in from time to time. Happy motoring. We'll miss you.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Spent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much did u get for the tl?

how much did u pay for the
camry?
Old 11-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

shouldnt have....i had to choose between camry or TL....TL is much better in my opinion
Old 11-08-2006, 05:53 PM
7th Gear

Yuk......change from luxury line to standard?.....Better car or not, I can never see going backwards like that.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:01 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I don't get it. You say "beloved TL". What made you go over to the other side?

Originally Posted by TLVR
... With its new styling it is almost indistinguishable from the Lexus line.
Exactly why I think Lexus drivers are gonna be pissed at Toyota. Toyota Corp has made the Lexus 350 a nice upgrade it is doing a bad job at making the car visually different enough from the Toyota branded line. By contrast Acura keeps their line visually different enough to help enhance the "premium" reputation. The TL is never confused from any angle with an Accord. Same with the MDX/Pilot. Related yes, but not as "inbred" looking like Lexus/Toyota. But that's all good for the Camry owners.

Anyway sounds like you are happy. Enjoy.

PS, your TL was a much sexier mistress ! (j/k)
Old 11-08-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm your huckleberry!

I mean the new Camry is nice, but damn how could you do that. It is like going from a Caddy to a Chevy. Wow.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
lons

Yea, that is a strange one. Even though I would not take a Camery over a TL, I did like the way it looked when it first came out. NOW? YUK, the styling grew old quick for me. To think I almost bought one of those float boat Avalons Everybody else goes from a TL to an RL, now that is a real upgrade, but to a Camery?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I just would like to give my opinion since we had two 07 Camry's loaded with Navi.

They are a SLUG. They are fast in a straight line, but they can not handle worth a darn. My TL compared to it feels like its on rails. I have driven the SE and it was not really any better. Both our Camrys blew the transmission. One at 350 miles, the 2nd at 1800 miles. Toyota bought both of them back and we now own a Acura RL as the replacement and have been happy.

You won't usually notice the tranny issues for a few hundered miles. You should have waited. The car was noisy compared to my TL and especially the RL. It had a lot of engine noise, and road noise. Interior materials were crappy from hard plastic to painted plastic all over. Glad we got rid of it.

This is my experience and of course my opinion.

Got the call today, drove down to pick up the new SE. Actually it arrived a week early which was a nice suprise. Had made the deal 2 weeks ago so paperwork was fast. Checked it out carefully inside/out and also test drove it for the obvious possible rattles or funny transmission irregularities. Per request car had 3 miles on it. Got a decent trade in $ for my 04TL which had 41K miles. It really did not matter how I had pampered it with MObil 1, filter changes, clear bra, new Pirelli's etc. Wanted more on the TL but they were really cold appraisers. Just could not deal with private buyers, tire kickers and possible bogus cashiers checks, so just did it and moved on. A funny feeling handing over manuals, keys and a perfect car- the new owner will be a lucky person. The ride/suspension really is where the SE shines, coming close to the magic German touch. Had trouble keeping it under 80 on the interstate, really is smooth as butter and not realizing you go that fast. Steering is solid and tracking straight as can be. Great quiet cabin, no road, wind noise and it also looks nice. With its new styling it is almost indistinquisable from the Lexus line. Gonna put another clear bra on since it needs it with all the road debri. Have enjoyed you all these last 2 years. You are a dedicated bunch and consider yourself lucky with this professionally set up site. Will look in from time to time. Happy motoring. We'll miss you.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Safety Car

Here are some pics of our loaded Camry XLE before Toyota took it back.

Old 11-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Weather Watcher

As long as you are happy dude, nobody else's opinion matters. I personally still love my TL as much as the day I picked it up. Wouldn't trade it in for nothing less than a high end MB E series (V8) or Bimmer V8 equipped 4 door. That day won't come soon but I love my TL!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Safety Car

^^ I agree and I believe I might have been a bit harsh. Just my experience put a bad taste in our mouth. If you like the car that is what matters. We originally loved it, till we had issues then we hated it. And all the bad things stuck out like a sore thumb.

Enjoy the car and keep in touch!
Old 11-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
the wood definatly sticks out like a sore thumb on the interior of the camry.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Hey Now!

^^^^^The dash almost looks like the TLs.

Good luck with your new car.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Here are some pics of our loaded Camry XLE before Toyota took it back.

why is the camry in the garage and the tl outside
Old 11-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Congrats on the new ride!!

That being said, I am kind of surprised that you stated ,"The ride/suspension really is where the SE shines, coming close to the magic German touch."

Toyota/Lexus IMHO are no where near coming close to the driving dynamics of a German vehicle.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ggesq
why is the camry in the garage and the tl outside
Because it had no gas left and since we got the RL we didn't want anything happening to the Camry while it sat for 3 weeks. Plus it was out of the way.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

personally, i think toyota makes there cars out of cheap plastic haha. dunno but tl owns hands down (my )
Old 11-08-2006, 11:32 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Congrats on the new car! I'm guessing you knew you were gonna get ribbed for the exchange.

I had a new Camry as a rental while my TL was getting its bumper repaired. Since it was only a four-banger, I can't accurately claim "Camry's have no power." Maybe the six is better. I did notice the Camry was very quiet and solid-sounding (no rattles or looseness) and the handling was "OK" compared to my TL. Hopefully yours has a much better sound system than my rental. My god, it sounded like it was circa 1980 in terms of quality. In fact, talk radio was the only thing I could stand to listen to during that time as nothing else sounded good.

I agree about the comments regarding the styling. It seems the Lexus line is nothing but a rebadged/repriced Camry with extra standard options. I'd be hard-pressed to pay for a Lexus that looks like its cheaper sibling.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Maybe its my bias but I find this quite funny. Trading a TL for a Camry, and an SE at that is kinda dumb IMO, especially if your TL was more or less flawless. An ES I could understand, hell, an XLE I could almost understand, but this is a -12K downgrade. The car is a fugly cheap boat IMO.

As far as the remark on the German suspension goes... those things are like boats, I have no idea what you are talking about. Acura is the company that has been getting praised lately for its Euro-like suspensions.

Have fun in the grandma-car

Mike
Old 11-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Advanced

Right now, you can get a brand new 06 TL auto w/Navi for only $27,800 incl dest, while morons are paying $28+ for a loaded Camry? what's wrong with the world today? why trade down from a sporty/luxury car to a boring,mass produced, girly car, and trust me a few more months once you see a gazillion camrys on the road that style will get old trust me...by the way IMO the new Mitsu Outlander looks way better than the RDX...peace
Old 11-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Gosh, even I have to admit this is a bit of an unusual trade...from a TL (though certainly not perfect) to a Camry??

Most perplexing...
Old 11-09-2006, 01:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

I found some design elments the new camry stole.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by usc55
Right now, you can get a brand new 06 TL auto w/Navi for only $27,800 incl dest, while morons are paying $28+ for a loaded Camry? what's wrong with the world today? why trade down from a sporty/luxury car to a boring,mass produced, girly car, and trust me a few more months once you see a gazillion camrys on the road that style will get old trust me...by the way IMO the new Mitsu Outlander looks way better than the RDX...peace
Can you tell me where you can get this deal?? I will trade in my 05 in a heartbeat. That amount seems a little too optimistic.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Retired and Loving It

I priced out a new SE Camry in August. Equipping it like an 06 TL 5AT with navi was going to be around 29K, best deal I could find. At the time they didn't have the SE equipped like I wanted in stock and would have to order it. Seven weeks delivery at that time. I drove another SE with a V6 they had in stock. The test drive convinced me. The next day I went down and bought my 06 TL. No comparison, TL superior in all respect. Plus, I got a much better deal off the sticker price.

If you look at my avatar, that's an 07 Camry SE in the background. My neighbor got a new tranny in his SE last month.

Good luck with the Camry, it is a good looking car. Hope you have better luck then the guy across the street.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Instructor

As a one month owner of my new '06 TL, I can only ask: "What the hell were you thinking?" Your TL was just getting broken-in. Why go to the expense of getting screwed on the trade-in? No doubt that Toyota has great quality but the Camry's and Solara's that I have driven are grandma cars, heavy and with sluggish handling.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:32 AM
Pro

Don't like the new Camry's, but wait till you see the 08 Honda Accords. It will be better than the Camry. Toyota uses more plastic especially the interior, and it looks and feels cheaper then a Honda.

As for the trade in.... wow... huge down grade, but at least it makes you happy.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would never trade in a TL for a dime a dozen Camry but if you're content, then who cares what we think. Good Luck with the Camry...
Old 11-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Advanced

WoW
Old 11-09-2006, 12:17 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobeman
I don't get it. You say "beloved TL". What made you go over to the other side?

Exactly why I think Lexus drivers are gonna be pissed at Toyota. Toyota Corp has made the Lexus 350 a nice upgrade it is doing a bad job at making the car visually different enough from the Toyota branded line. By contrast Acura keeps their line visually different enough to help enhance the "premium" reputation. The TL is never confused from any angle with an Accord. Same with the MDX/Pilot. Related yes, but not as "inbred" looking like Lexus/Toyota. But that's all good for the Camry owners.

Anyway sounds like you are happy. Enjoy.

PS, your TL was a much sexier mistress ! (j/k)
WOW, overall, what a bunch of haters. Different cars for differnt people and circumstances. Lots of people look down on Acuras.

My TL has been confused with an Accord more times than I care to admit by a number of people. Who cares, I know what I have.

Good luck to the OP and I hope you enjoy your decision.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I personally don't see how the TL and the Accord can be confused, but my father has tried to get into accords before when leaving work, so what can I say? Maybe it is because I really like cars and know most of the models on the road today.

Have you seen the interior of the new outlander The RDX, with possible exception to some aspects of the exterior(somewhat bland), kills that POS in almost all respects.

Mike
Old 11-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Go Black & Gold!

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Have you seen the interior of the new outlander The RDX, with possible exception to some aspects of the exterior(somewhat bland), kills that POS in almost all respects.
I'm assuming you mean the Highlander, as the Outlander is a Mitsu. Maybe you do mean the Outlander. Either way, I 100% agree with you.

My Mother in law just bought a fully loaded Toyota Highlander. While it's a decent truck, the interior doesn't even compare to the TL. She got in my car and was amazed at how much nicer it is. My Father in law said the navi in my Acura blows the one in the Highlander out of the water.

Now they have a bit of buyer's remorse. She may trade it in after next year and get an '09 MDX.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Still waiting for you to come back and tell us you were J/K
Old 11-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

camry, no words. but whatever floats your boat or the boat you are driving. interior looks kinda plain. the thing about this is i am sure it has a pretty smooth ride but like the cheap plastic just kills this floating plastic box but its ok, whatever makes you happy.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Race Director

STOP!!!!!!!!!! you guys are giving this guy such a hard time. You dont know why he got a camry is it that big a deal he wanted to save some money?? Anyway congrats on your purchse my dad used to have have a 93 Camry LE he sold it with about 100K on it and pretty much no problems what so ever. The only reason he did sell it was because he needed an SUV for business. Wherever that car is im sure its still running the camrys run for forever just like acuras so congrats on your purchase.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:49 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
STOP!!!!!!!!!! you guys are giving this guy such a hard time. You dont know why he got a camry is it that big a deal he wanted to save some money?? rchse my dad used to have have a 93 Camry LE he sold it with about 100K on it and pretty much no problems what so ever. The only reason he did sell it was because he needed an SUV for business. Wherever that car is im sure its still running the camrys run for forever just like acuras so congrats on your purchase.

I can't imagine he saved any money, especially after the depreciation of the TL
Old 11-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

My other car is an 02 Camry XLE V6, I've never had any problems with it, tho i never drive it really,I like the looks of this one better then the new one, the new one looks like a clown face smiling at you.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by crazymjb
As far as the remark on the German suspension goes... those things are like boats, I have no idea what you are talking about. Acura is the company that has been getting praised lately for its Euro-like suspensions.
I definitely like the tight TL suspension. It had the tightest suspension out of all the cars I test drove (a very extensive list of lexi, acuras, bmws, mercedes, inifnitis, audis, and toyotas). I think the TL handles really well and feels quite nimble and athletic for such a large "luxury" car. I test drove the ES350. I liked everything about it except the boat-like AWFUL handling and the fact that it looks like an identical copy of the new camry. It had by far the worst handling/worst suspension on any car I test drove. It's designed for Granny and Gramps who take turns at 5mph (you know what I'm talking about). I didn't test drive a camry but I can't, under any circumstances, imagine it having a great suspension.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by usc55
Not to hijack:
Outlander:

RDX

Now for the Camry vs. TL, just for SBS sake.
Camry:

TL:

I dunno, maybe if you have the taste to prefer those cars, you deserve em

Mike