Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade TL for Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 05:33 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade TL for Mustang

Just saw the new Mustang and was very excited on the Test Drive. Thinking of Trading the TL for the new 05 Mustang, but I know I will have regrets, no nav, no leather, no xm, no heated seats, no tiptronic, no dvd audio all of that I will miss. But the car was a blast to drive and looks sweet. Please someone talk some reality into me and tell me why I should keep the TL over the new Mustang
Old 12-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Cruisin'

ITS A FORD!!!! that why you should stick With the TL
Old 12-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Geylord Focker
Just saw the new Mustang and was very excited on the Test Drive. Thinking of Trading the TL for the new 05 Mustang, but I know I will have regrets, no nav, no leather, no xm, no heated seats, no tiptronic, no dvd audio all of that I will miss. But the car was a blast to drive and looks sweet. Please someone talk some reality into me and tell me why I should keep the TL over the new Mustang
Umm if u get the mustang I will laugh at u win it breaks down every week. But i gotta admit ford is finally getting on to something good
Old 12-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
where should i begin???
1)price price price!!! 35g for a all leather, navi, 8 sp audio!!! best buy for the money....
2)good all around performance while mustang is all concentrated on it
3)resale!!! the tl is a good, lasting car while ford (not dissing anyone) has a ? on resale and durability
4) the rest of the stuff u posted....

96 toyo landcrusier
Old 12-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Spinnin them beats

mustang is pretty nice tho...... it has 100 some color changing gauges!!! lol its kool!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 05:46 PM
professional TL driver

the mustang is a bad ass car for the money.... price wise it cant be beat..... for 26k (or so) you get the GT WITH leather. i thought it had seat heaters but i will check. you can get either a 500w shaker system or a 1000w shaker system (or 4 times the power of our tl radio)... if you read any of the articles on the new stang its an awsome vehicle. awsome power, great steering, and handling too. all around a well built, better car then the previous stang... now resale value?
Old 12-09-2004, 05:58 PM
Spinnin them beats

resale value is bad for most fords; our tl was pick with the 3 series and umm... i think the caddy smthing, not cts for resale value over 5 yrs, it retained over 60% of its value!!!

96 toyo landcrusier
Old 12-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Spinnin them beats

Originally Posted by ONAGER
the mustang is a bad ass car for the money.... price wise it cant be beat..... for 26k (or so) you get the GT WITH leather. i thought it had seat heaters but i will check. you can get either a 500w shaker system or a 1000w shaker system (or 4 times the power of our tl radio)... if you read any of the articles on the new stang its an awsome vehicle. awsome power, great steering, and handling too. all around a well built, better car then the previous stang... now resale value?

i think dvd-a is still better for the sound, dont need some blasting sub by the mall
loljkjk

96 toyo landcrusier
Old 12-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't laugh at you if it breaks down every week, we'll be passing each other on the way to the service shop. I say ditch the TL and get the 'stang, and go rip 'em up.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,661 Likes on 927 Posts
The new Stang is easily the best looking Mustang EVER!! To boot, it has 300hp, runs upper 13s and actually has liveable ergonomics. That said, I'd NEVER trade a TL for a Mustang.

Maybe the only exception would be if I got a sub-$30G deal on an 04 Cobra vert.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
"ITS A FORD!!!! that why you should stick With the TL"

Very interesting. IF my TL is as good and reliable as my 1988 Mustang LX 302 CID, I'd be quite happy. You see, that FORD was the most reliable car I've ever owned.

And my TL has already had a problem, so that puts it behind my former Mustang.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Awesome to the Max

fix or repair daily
Old 12-09-2004, 06:24 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Get the cheapest 05 Stang with the best engine offered as a 2nd car.
Then keep the TL for your Daily Driver
Old 12-09-2004, 06:25 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by terse
fix or repair daily

Looks like you want something new and want attention... in few months u probably want to trade mustang for something else, i say stick with tl for few years and then get 07 or 08 sh-awd TL and kick some ass.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hahahaha, just buy one w/o trading it. then you'll have no regrets !
Old 12-09-2004, 06:33 PM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

..umm... you are comparing a Mustang to a TL.... I honestly cannot comprehend how you would go from 1 to the other. I realize I am new, but I have to express my opinion.

First of all, when you are talking about the TL it says that it's a sport luxury car that depicts class and fun at the same time... the Mustang just doesn't say the same thing to me..

Sure the new Mustang may look good, but on that same note a Hyundai Tiberon 04/05 looks good too... but it still isn't even close to par on the quality of a vehicle such as Honda / Toyota.

As for the comments that some people have had regarding Fords lasting them forever... well excellent for you, because you were one of the lucky ones.

I recognize that I will probably get flamed for my opinion, but I had to say it... Please also check out the JD Power & Associate Vehicle Dependibility Study, which can be found: http://www.jdpa.com/studies_jdpower/...ID=860&CatID=1. The Ford company is BELOW industry average.... I'm not too sure how you all feel of grading, but if you are below industry average....to me this means that you failed.

To me, there wouldn't even be a .01 second hesitation to recommend an Acura TL over a new Ford Mustang...
Old 12-09-2004, 06:42 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Watch your Mustang DEPRECIATE!!!!!!!! Unless you plan on keeping the car for more than 8yrs!!!!! My co-worker traded in his 2003 Mustang GT with only 20000 miles on it and lost over $9000 in just two years!!!!!!!

Goodluck!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Instructor

You have said it yourself.

Originally Posted by Geylord Focker
...I will have regrets, no nav, no leather, no xm, no heated seats, no tiptronic, no dvd audio all of that I will miss
Old 12-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,138 Posts
By a used one next year for half price and keep both cars.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:55 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Its a nice car but if you want an idea of class... the Ford GT with premium package comes with SPINNERS. Hopefully that will help you realize the HUGE class difference between the Mustang and the TL. I'm not dissing the mustang, the new one is SWEET, but its not a TL either.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I like the new Ford GT. Best looking Ford in years! It'd make a good weekend car.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:15 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I like the new Ford GT. Best looking Ford in years! It'd make a good weekend car.
we're talking about FORD MUSTANG GT, not FORD GT :P
Old 12-09-2004, 07:48 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I traded in my '96 Mustang GT Convertible for my '04 TL. I didn't really like the last generation ('98 to '04) of 'Stangs, but I gotta say, I love the new look, and Ford FINALLY put some ponies in their premier pony car, but still... I could never go back to the Mustang.

For one, the new Mustang is SMALL. The back seat is almost unusable -- MUCH less room than in my '96 (which was already smaller than a coupe '96), and quite a bit less than the last generation. I couldn't believe how small it was when I saw it.

Plus, the interior is very plasticy. It really makes the TL look good. I know that they're trying to be retro, but still... if there's one thing I didn't like about the first generation 'Stangs, it was the interior materials. Nice for a '60s sports car... not so nice for a 21st Century car of any class.

Having said all that, don't get me wrong... I do like the new 'Stangs. In my opinion it's the first real mustang since 1973 (and even the '71 through '73 generation was questionable), but I'm spoiled by the TL. For a LITTLE more money, I get almost as many horses under the hood, much better gas milage, Satellite radio, 6-Disc changer, Navigation, a very nice quality and roomy interior, etc., etc. When it comes to value for the buck, the Mustang and TL aren't even in the same... well... class.

Now... Ford GT... that's another story.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Racer

Well, I own Two Stangs and I LOVE ht5 enew Stang. But I bought the TL for the room and features, the stang just does not have. But as far as reliability...My TL has been in the shop 5 times in four months, my stang had 195k miles when it finally let go, just an excuse for more motor of course. So its hard to compare reliability givne the TLs issues. But also its inpossible to compare the two cars. They are in no way in the same catagory. The stang will out accelearate the TL at any speed, but I believe the handling is similar. Also Braking is very close. If I were going on a trip it would be the TL all the way, especially if I wanted to carry anyone over 3ft tall inthe back seat and any gear. If I want to race...its the Stang ALL the way.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:20 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have a 94 GT Convert. It is not my primary car and I only take it out in the summer.

The car is rude and crude but a lot of fun when you accept it for what it is.

When the convert. models come out I will take a look but probably wait a year or two before buying. (unless I sink $$$ in the motor on the current car).
Old 12-09-2004, 08:22 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
By a used one next year for half price and keep both cars.

Actually I also looked at the new Mustang a few times. What saved me was taking my wife to the Ford dealer with me. We both loved the look of the car. However, we both also got in and out a few times. It's a great improvement but certainly not a real daily substitute for the TL. Did the same thing with the G35 Coupe.

Last, and this is not a dis; re-read most of the first year concerns on this board and think about buying a first year anything that has a somewhat lesser quality repuation. Hope you come to your senses and do the right thing.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MR1

Last, and this is not a dis; re-read most of the first year concerns on this board and think about buying a first year anything that has a somewhat lesser quality repuation. Hope you come to your senses and do the right thing.

I agree big time!!!
Points for you!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Gearhead

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
If your life is made of 1/4 miles and cruising the local burger stand then buy a 'Stang. I had an incredibly quick twin turbo 'Stang w/nitrous I built and it was a fun car. I bought it to be a project car and that is what it was. I knew when I bought it I wouldn't get jack for it down the road and figured I was throwing my money away when I bought it. It was purely cheap speed.

After driving "nicer" cars for the last 10+ years I couldn't go back to something like a Mustang again. I tried it when I bought my '02 Vetter convertible but I missed the quality of the cars like Audi, MB and Acura. I don't care if it'll run 13's or even 12's now. My life doesn't consist totally of roads built in 1/4 mile increments. I don't go out looking for cars to hunt and race anymore.

Sure I still have fast cars but the focus in my life is different. I like cars that have great build quality, excellent ergonomics and are stil fast. A TL isn't a slow car nor is it a rocket but it's fun each day. If you are so concerned about 1/4 miles figures buy a WRX or EVO and sink a few grand into and you have a 11 second street car.

If you fell out of love with your TL so quickly that another pretty face(metaphorically speaking) can turn your head what's to say that you won't so quicly want to drop the
'Stang once you get bored with it. I think everybody should own a Vette, Mustang or convertible in their life. Usually once is enough to keep them from doing it again unless they are just die hard fanatics like some 'Stang of Vette owners are. If you want cheap speed there are better ways of going fast. In the TL's favor there are few cars that are as "classy" as the TL while still being fun to drive and none near it's price range have as nice an interior. If you buy the Mustang good luck and plan to keep it for a while as its resale will truly be dirt.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tennisjon2002
Umm if u get the mustang I will laugh at u win it breaks down every week. But i gotta admit ford is finally getting on to something good

Hmmm...i wonder of the ford fit and finnish is as bad as the TL's. I have seen Fairmonts put together better than the TL. I wonder if the 'stang has the mysterious "oh, we screwed up in the engineering department" 80 mph vibration like the TL has. I say go with the 'stang and drive with a smile!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraTLjatt559
we're talking about FORD MUSTANG GT, not FORD GT :P
I know, Jatt!

I wish I could afford the GT.

Jeez, one little typo and people gotta comment...

By the way, I totally agree with doopstr. Buy a used one next year and let someone else pay full price, and take the hit on depreciation!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 09:06 PM
10th Gear

taking the hit on the depreciation just wouldn't cut it for me. Like buying a BMW...I've got better things to do with 20% of the value of the car. Still the new Mustang has some very sweet stylings.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
First off, for some on this site, there seems to be a trememdous amount of bias and outright prejudice regarding automobiles, be it Mercedes or GM or BMW or Ford or Chrysler or Nissan or you name it. Now I fully understand preferences and have no problem with that. But auto-bigotry is something else.

Personally, I have little or no brand preference, though I do prefer to give American cars the edge simply because.. well, I'm an American. In my youth, I was all Chevy, but sticking with a brand preference only cheats me out of a lot of good choices. And as I've written in the past, when it comes time to buy it's what meets my wants and needs at the time.

I have owned 4 Fords over the years: the '88 Mustang as mentioned, a '96 Contour SE, a 2000 SVT Contour, and my currently owned 2001 Ranger pickup. Only the SVT Contour had problems and it was a designed-in thing (throttle hang) that I just could not bring myself to get used to. The other three were fine cars (and truck).

I have also owned two Honda products: a 1994 Accord EX and my current TL. The Accord leaked badly around the passenger door to the extent of puddling water in the footwell. It also managed to keep getting moisture in the clutch assembly causing chattering and jerky engagement until I had to periodically and deliberately slip it to "clean it off". And it went through a distributor in the first year. My TL has already managed to kill the battery due to a flatlined outside temperature readout when it was just over 1 month old! Thankly, recharging of the dead battery brought the termperature display back.. this all happened 36 hours before leaving for vacation.

Does this mean that I "dare" compare my TL to a Ford, or any other car? Absolutely when viewed from the position of what I want. I could care less whether I compare a Tl to a Mustang or like I actually did last July.. a new '5 Focus. What the hell difference does it make? I buy what I buy because it's what I want.. not because I worry about style or luxury or anything else so insignificant. Actually, I prefer cars a little on the ragged edge and yes I know.. the TL doesn't sit there. Or does it? It does if you think of it like I do.. a sleeper.

So I say to Gaylord Focker, good for you! The new Mustang is sure to be a winner and if it's what you really want, get it. In the end, you're the most important person in the world to yourself so it's you who you need to satisfy.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Mile High

I say go for a Cobra, you will miss out on all the luxuries but i think its worth it to have a hell of a fast car and you will have endless fun laying rubber patches everwhere
Old 12-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Instructor

First year cars are scary. Just look at the TL!! I'd wait a year and let them work any bugs out. They'll also be more plentiful by then, so your apt to get a better deal.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
First year cars are scary. Just look at the TL!! I'd wait a year and let them work any bugs out. They'll also be more plentiful by then, so your apt to get a better deal.
Not all first year cars are BAD... But, the 1st year cars used to have higher chance of having issues.

(Haven't seen you for a while... how're you, man?... )
Old 12-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Not all first year cars are BAD...
Granted, I'm speaking from my own car buying experiences, as well as about 4 years spent on automotive message boards...First year cars, regardless of make suffer from many more problems than the subsequent model years do.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Hey rets! I'm doing well. I stop by here at least once a week, but mainly just lurk.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:12 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by tkx
..umm... you are comparing a Mustang to a TL.... I honestly cannot comprehend how you would go from 1 to the other. I realize I am new, but I have to express my opinion.

First of all, when you are talking about the TL it says that it's a sport luxury car that depicts class and fun at the same time... the Mustang just doesn't say the same thing to me..

Sure the new Mustang may look good, but on that same note a Hyundai Tiberon 04/05 looks good too... but it still isn't even close to par on the quality of a vehicle such as Honda / Toyota.

As for the comments that some people have had regarding Fords lasting them forever... well excellent for you, because you were one of the lucky ones.

I recognize that I will probably get flamed for my opinion, but I had to say it... Please also check out the JD Power & Associate Vehicle Dependibility Study, which can be found: http://www.jdpa.com/studies_jdpower/...ID=860&CatID=1. The Ford company is BELOW industry average.... I'm not too sure how you all feel of grading, but if you are below industry average....to me this means that you failed.

To me, there wouldn't even be a .01 second hesitation to recommend an Acura TL over a new Ford Mustang...
how do they come up with the industry average thou? by me jusyt looking at the #s i belive the average should be higher then what they are reporting.... could just be thou

and ford was under their "average" but just barely
Old 12-09-2004, 11:40 PM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

Average is based on exactly that... number of problems per vehicle. Yes I agree that the average should be higher, but let's face it... Cars are still made by people... there are bound to be mistakes somewhere... it's just that some companies would rather hold off on production of a vehicle (ie. Lexus) until the problems are all carefully inspected.. no matter how much care and attention can be done, there will always be the few that creep up.

As for being biased on the japanese vehicles, dang skippy!. I am very biased because based on the production line of the companies, there are less problems in the japanese vehicles than the domestic vehicles. I also agree that there are a couple domestic products that are better than some import cars....a few.

I am not even a big fan of VW... they are nice cars, but they have problems. Obviously people here have had many problems with their TLs, but they are probably mostly from the 1st year of production. Another thing to check is if the plant for the TL is fairly new... I used to work for Toyota and Nissan, and I know the new plants ALWAYS seem to have problems with production.

Again, that is my own personal preference, and I would never again buy a Ford, would never buy a Mercedes, and would never buy a Chev. I think if you are looking towards the automotive demographics, it seems that I am not the only person who is and has been converted to the imports. Toyota currently has a 12% global marketshare, and I'm sure it will grow. You will see with their more heavily targetted truck markets that they will impact the domestic truck markets.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:39 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
First off, for some on this site, there seems to be a trememdous amount of bias and outright prejudice regarding automobiles, be it Mercedes or GM or BMW or Ford or Chrysler or Nissan or you name it. Now I fully understand preferences and have no problem with that. But auto-bigotry is something else.

Personally, I have little or no brand preference, though I do prefer to give American cars the edge simply because.. well, I'm an American. In my youth, I was all Chevy, but sticking with a brand preference only cheats me out of a lot of good choices. And as I've written in the past, when it comes time to buy it's what meets my wants and needs at the time.

I have owned 4 Fords over the years: the '88 Mustang as mentioned, a '96 Contour SE, a 2000 SVT Contour, and my currently owned 2001 Ranger pickup. Only the SVT Contour had problems and it was a designed-in thing (throttle hang) that I just could not bring myself to get used to. The other three were fine cars (and truck).

I have also owned two Honda products: a 1994 Accord EX and my current TL. The Accord leaked badly around the passenger door to the extent of puddling water in the footwell. It also managed to keep getting moisture in the clutch assembly causing chattering and jerky engagement until I had to periodically and deliberately slip it to "clean it off". And it went through a distributor in the first year. My TL has already managed to kill the battery due to a flatlined outside temperature readout when it was just over 1 month old! Thankly, recharging of the dead battery brought the termperature display back.. this all happened 36 hours before leaving for vacation.

Does this mean that I "dare" compare my TL to a Ford, or any other car? Absolutely when viewed from the position of what I want. I could care less whether I compare a Tl to a Mustang or like I actually did last July.. a new '5 Focus. What the hell difference does it make? I buy what I buy because it's what I want.. not because I worry about style or luxury or anything else so insignificant. Actually, I prefer cars a little on the ragged edge and yes I know.. the TL doesn't sit there. Or does it? It does if you think of it like I do.. a sleeper.

So I say to Gaylord Focker, good for you! The new Mustang is sure to be a winner and if it's what you really want, get it. In the end, you're the most important person in the world to yourself so it's you who you need to satisfy.
This may sound a little strange...In theory I agree with you SouthernBoy. I have also had more than a few new cars in the past almost 40 years. Initially I was really open minded but cursed with a really good memory. New cars for me came from: American Motors, Chrysler, Ford, GM, VW and Honda. I've had trouble of one sort or another with all of them. My measure has been how the manufacturer responded to the problems. I'll spare you all the gory details but Honda was the first to ever step up and handle things though VW also tried. Mainly they all told me to go F**k myself at some point because they either chose not or could not properly address their mistakes.

Now I'm also hardheaded and emotional so sometimes I forgive and came back for more. Same things same results. So now I try not to do to many stupid (for me) emotional things that will probably cause me grief. Being more edumacated I now try to do research and control some of the wild emotions. A lot of my research says do not buy most of the American cars that I might be interested in cause all cars look like junk to me when they really disappoint me (don't work).

As a somewhat informed consumer regardless of how pretty it is, how much fun it looks like, etc, etc...I usually will not go for it if it has a bad reputation. Think of a Fiat 124 or a Saab 900 Turbo,or an Audi 100. I don't want to wait for parts, beg and whine or pop a cork because the object of my desire is not responding. I just want to drive it all the time and do preventive, scheduled maintenance.

Finally, I consider myself to be a loyal American as well. The World Corporations that build our cars and other goods don't seem to be quite as loyal. I think most of them, Honda, GM and Ford included, build various models all over the world. Under these conditions, I don't much care whose flag it's flying as long as it meets my other criteria.

For those with a higher tolerance for risk than mine; enjoy your first year Mustang or whatever. I really hope you are the exception but know that odds are against you. Someone must be the first one on the block.

Quick Reply: Trade TL for Mustang