Sponsored by:

Trade in non-navi for navi

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade in non-navi for navi

Hey everyone
I so regret not getting navi in my TL. i've had the car since Feb (vin 19xxx) I found out its almost impossible to get stock TL navi installed. Has anyone traded in their non-navi for navi? and if so.. price difference. penalties. etc etc
Old 08-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
It seemed there was a guy in Maryland trading his 5AT Navi in exchange of 6MT Navi in the beginning of the year, he probably lost 2-4k at that time. Anybody remembered that? My database was gone so I couldn't search who he was...
Old 08-26-2004, 11:16 AM
Safety Car

you are definitely gonna lose out on some $$$ if you decide to trade the car in. if the other person traded navi for navi and loss 2-4K then someone trading from non-navi to navi would lose that and have to pay the difference for the nav car. i would estimate that you would probably have to shell out another 4-7K depending on the dealer you go to. you have to evaluate if that is worth it to you. i have the navi and i admit its a great feature but is it worth all the extra money that you would have to spend?
Old 08-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Pro

Between the 2G TL and current TL, how often has this subject come up. (That was also one of the regrets I had with my 02 Maxima---should have bought the one with Navi as well.)
Old 08-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't forget that the TL is still an outstanding vehicle without the navi. While I certainly enjoy the nav, I don't think that it is worth the delta (caball88's estimate of 4-7k sounds reasonable). If you really need the nav functions consider one of the aftermarket portable units or even the ones that work in conjunction with a lap top.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:47 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

[QUOTE=93SHOcar] Don't forget that the TL is still an outstanding vehicle without the navi. QUOTE]

LIES, all lies. In the land of cars, Navi is KING!
Old 08-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
My dealer (Ed Voyles Acura in Atlanta) has about 37 TL's with auto/NON-NAVI on the lot (versus 13 navigation cars). They have one manual with and one manual without navigation.

So I'm guessing it's going to be real tough to move a used, automatic non-navigation car.

-josh
Old 08-26-2004, 03:14 PM
DWP
Advanced

How often do people with Navigation use it to actually get directions to a place they don't already know the way to - as opposed to showing it off to people who don't have Navigation in their cars?

If you actually use it for navigation, as opposed to showing off, what are some examples of places you use it to reach, that you don't already know the way to? And how many times per month do you use it that way?

I suspect that the popularity of Navigation has a lot more to do with its entertainment/kewlness value than its ostensible purpose, navigation. There's nothing wrong with that, but let's be honest about why people really get Navigation.

These comments do NOT, I emphasize, apply to people with jobs that require lots of driving around town to different locations during the day. They are probably a small minority of Navigation buyers, though.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

I use mine 3+ times a week depending on how busy I am

comes with the job

Real estate broker with an extremely large territory, I'd be lost with out it. Best move I ever made. $2,000 was really too cheap for it for the amount of usefulness it provides
Old 08-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Racer

I also wish I got the Navi, but I'm figuring I'd end up paying around $6-$8k between depreciation and a new car....too much for me to take.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:22 PM
Advanced

Moreace, sounds like it is perfect for you!

I dont have it and dont regret it. Of course my car pretty much goes to and from the same place every day so I have no need for it.

Yes, i think it has a major cool factor, but for me, my money is better spent elsewhere. On the rare occasion I am going somewhere new, I use mapquest/cell phone to get there.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have navi and I don't regret it one bit. For the guy in real estate, it makes sense. If you have a business reason for it great, do it. If not, it's just waste of money IMO. I don't care how cool it is or how many restaurants it can lead you too. It's unnecessary. At least for me.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Safety Car

just going around town or finding detours its been a great tool. i've found numerous detours to use especially driving around in NYC and LI. i've gotten directions for restaurants, bars and clubs i never been to. not to mention te voice recognition for climate and radio is very helpful especially when driving a 6MT. its a little extra cash for the navi but its certainly not useless.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Racer

I agree that it might be useless for navigating, but I regret not getting it for the voice command feature.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

If you ever go out of your home town the navi is great. In the middle of any city you can find almost any street in Canada or the U.S., almost every gas station and restaurant, shopping, sights etc. I use it for travel to the U.S. and have never needed a map for anything. I can put my destination in my parking space and see every street on the route without even moving, just by moving the joystick or telling it to list the streets. At home I use the voice everything all the time and the detour function is great as there is so much construction.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 93SHOcar
Don't forget that the TL is still an outstanding vehicle without the navi. While I certainly enjoy the nav, I don't think that it is worth the delta (caball88's estimate of 4-7k sounds reasonable). If you really need the nav functions consider one of the aftermarket portable units or even the ones that work in conjunction with a lap top.
, i like portable so i can take it in my 4runner or my tacoma. instead of paying the extra $2k the dealer wanted for navi i got myself a set of OZ rims and Falken tires, and for about $200 more i'm adding in some Huper Optik 40% ceramic tint.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Miss my 89 Legend

Nav

I agree that Navigation is mostly used for non-direcational purposes.. I mean you can drive a car w/o one. I got one in mine because i like the ability to use the other functions.. heat, stereo etc...
Old 08-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Life at 9000rpm

Anyone know why it's so hard to install a factory nav as an option in TL w/o one? Here in Canada the 6MT doesn't come with nav. I want both nav and 6MT. Hopefully this will be available as a model option in 05.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,616 Likes on 2,195 Posts
If you want to spend the money on trading it in, go ahead. I think the navi is worth the $2k difference new, but the amount you're considering is really a bit much. Maybe you could sell it yourself and use the cash to place a down payment on a navi...
Old 08-27-2004, 07:13 PM
Drifting

just get an aftermarket unit liek the pioneer avic n1. has everything in one. dvd/cd/navi
Old 08-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Got_3.2?
just get an aftermarket unit liek the pioneer avic n1. has everything in one. dvd/cd/navi
the only problem with that system is the installation. you have to use the factory speakers for the stereo. would you be able to piggy back it off the stock stereo?
Old 08-30-2004, 04:58 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DWP
How often do people with Navigation use it to actually get directions to a place they don't already know the way to - as opposed to showing it off to people who don't have Navigation in their cars?

If you actually use it for navigation, as opposed to showing off, what are some examples of places you use it to reach, that you don't already know the way to? And how many times per month do you use it that way?

I suspect that the popularity of Navigation has a lot more to do with its entertainment/kewlness value than its ostensible purpose, navigation. There's nothing wrong with that, but let's be honest about why people really get Navigation.

These comments do NOT, I emphasize, apply to people with jobs that require lots of driving around town to different locations during the day. They are probably a small minority of Navigation buyers, though.
Well, I use mine at least 5 times a week, going places I normally go. Why? Because of the ETA factor. IF I'm sitting in traffic, or if there are ebbs adn flows in traffic, the car tells me how much longer tilll arrival. That's very useful. Also, ATMs near my current and intended location, stuff like that. My wife is constantly reminding me to search out Bank One ATMs so we're not hist withe fees from other banks. Think of the saivngs there! So that's 2 uses. Nearest gas station, nearest hospital in an emergency. ALso, when I'm en route to the house, I can look up the local chinese restaurant to find the number to call. Of course, the '04 can even dial it fro me. Come on guys, this is an EVERYDAY, practical tool. Not a gadget.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:02 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
I don't have navi and I don't regret it one bit. For the guy in real estate, it makes sense. If you have a business reason for it great, do it. If not, it's just waste of money IMO. I don't care how cool it is or how many restaurants it can lead you too. It's unnecessary. At least for me.
Well, geez, if you don't care how cool or useful it is, then what can you be told. That sounds like the Chinese and chopsticks. I don't care how handy a fork is, it's not necessary. NEver mind that it's tons better than these unwieldy pices of wood. Dude, what kind of logic is that. "I don't care that the house has 3 bedrooms. We can all fir in one. Never mind how convenient that arangement would be." That's just ignorance talking.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:15 PM
s54
Advanced

wait until next-gen Nav

Don't get me wrong - I like the Nav, but why would you take a bath (potentially) on your trade? Why don't you wait until the next gen Nav with traffic update capability (a la RL)?

S
Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I was so close to getting mine without Navi due to the price difference. It was roughly $35 more per month payment wise to get it. I couldn't justify that.
The wife urged me to get it since I too would regret it. I decided to pay the difference out of pocket and finance the balance. I am SOOOOO glad she talked me into it.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I am extremely happy with navi - sorry for those that disagree with my post that they'll take a bath on a trade...
Old 08-31-2004, 05:40 AM
Drifting

I have the navi...and I have to admit that although I've used it mabe 5 times to actually get directions, the main reason I got navi is the "look"....I just thought it made the interior nicer and just plain looks awesome...not a very good reason, but I'm just being honest.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:22 AM
Instructor

Navi

This is a great post - many have wondered whether or not the extra 2K is really "worth it" for the NAVI. To me, it was definitely a no-brainer. Along with voice commands (great for impressing people and being a safety feature), I find being able to punch-in a phone number for directions is GREAT!. Especially for retaurants! The search feature for gas stations or atms is also a great feature for those of us who are retired - my wife and I will be traveling extensively in the next 5-10 years and I will always have to have a car with this feature. Personally, I wouldn't have a car without navigation now that I see how useful it really is - a word to the wise - NAVI!
Old 08-31-2004, 09:14 PM
drw
10th Gear

Agree with most everyone else. I was one of those who initially said that I had no use for navigation and no way would I spend the extra $-------- that was until I test drove the car and saw how great it made the car look and all the great features. And my favorite feature of the navi screen is the awesome XM display- as stupid as it sounds, to me, that alone makes the navi worth it......................

Dennis