Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Devices

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 09:48 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction Devices

Can anyone advise me as to what traction devices are required on the TL. I know that chains are not to be used but when I asked my local dealer what type of traction device and where can I buy them, he didn't know!

I know it is summer and this topic may not be that timely, but any info would certainly be apprecitated.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Safety Car

what do you mean by traction devices? the TL comes with VSA(Vehicle Stability Assist). it will help adjust the throttle or apply brakes at each wheel to counter slip and help the car continue in the right direction.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:34 PM
7th Gear

Sorry, by traction devices, I meant tire chains or cables for traction on icy or snow covered roads.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:37 PM
Safety Car

i dunno about tire chains, doesn't sound like it belongs on this type of sedan. i mean if the weather is that bad then i would suggest getting an awd car instead.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:13 AM
7th Gear

True, but on the occasional winter trip into the mountains during conditions that the Highway Patrol requires chains, there must be a product available to meet the requirements of the law. Otherwise, only awd cars would be transiting the stretches of mountain roads when chains are required.

In fact, even awd cars/trucks are required the have chains or traction devices on at certain times unless they are using snow tires.

I don't know about your east coast driving conditions, but in the mountainous west, chains seem to be required frequently by the Highway Patrol.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
how about rally type tires? ones with spikes? hehe. I'd just get a set of snow tires.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:57 PM
SOLD

Required?

I live in Northwest Suburb of Denver (almost Boulder) and go to the Mountains alot. They don't require chains here for sedans....they suggest snow tires. I guess CA is different? We have many mountains here with snow cover year round.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:56 PM
7th Gear

Colorado does seem to have its act together a bit more than California it seems. My problem with buying snow tires is that I only go to the Sierra's a half dozen times a year - skiing etc. - and usually its not a problem. But... every once in a while, usually with a heavy snow, the CHP will require chains on certain sections of hiway. I don't know about 2 wheel drive cars with snow tires - maybe they are ok - but when you only need them a very few times per year, for me anyway, (cause I am lazy) its not the best way to go.

In the past, on two Accords I used to own, I would carry and use regular chains or cables for that rare time they were needed. They were simple to put on and take off and of course on a fwd car they worked wonderfully. The TL however is not allowed to use chains and that is the crux of my question.

Sorry to be long winded, and thanks to those who have responded. Hopefully, somebody has a similar situation as mine and can tell me what I can use in lieu of chains or snow tires. Thanks
Old 06-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Racer

It's covered in the owners manual: Use only SAE "S" Type cable traction devices..... along with a bunch of warnings.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Racer

did you ever get traction device

I understand your issue. If you are going to tahoe and it is snowing, you are totally screwed. What can you do?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have some really nice winter tires out now, they are pretty expensive, but they will last a while.

What about studded tires?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:02 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Living in snow covered mountains for 20 years and owning compact front wheel drive beaters, i found that the most effective measure for traction was not to exceed 40 mph and to be careful.... I mean snow and ice can be scary but let's not get crazy. Take it slow and everyone is safe.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Suzuka Master

You wouldnt want to go nearly that fast with chains or cables.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:21 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

here way north up in Canada, I am planning to go through winter with Michellin Factory Stock MXM4 All Season. I never saw people using chains on road here. Maybe out of city limits they use some only if there isn't any gravel on road. I saw plastic rubber chain thing one day I would give it a try
Old 09-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Actuary
here way north up in Canada, I am planning to go through winter with Michellin Factory Stock MXM4 All Season. I never saw people using chains on road here. Maybe out of city limits they use some only if there isn't any gravel on road. I saw plastic rubber chain thing one day I would give it a try
Being from Canada too, Quebec, I would not even dream of using the 4 season tires in the winter here, specially when my TL is my working car and I travel alot for my work from the Ottawa Valley to Newfoundland.

I am a few weeks away from buying 4 steel rims from the local Acura dealer and buying 4 Nokian Winter tires.

I guess if you do not drive much, you can stay home when the weather is not too nice but for me this is not a valid choice and I prefer to have the proper equipment then spare $1,000 and risk my life.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 09-15-2005, 08:31 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Did you get Bridgestone from factory? If you have Bridgestone it totally sucks in rain and snow. Factory Michelin does good job though.

There are A LOT of complains about EL42 from not just TL owners but G35s and Maximas and Altimas
Old 09-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Does anyone have a link to that article popsci ran last year on the top snow tires?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:47 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Lightbulb Tire chains

Page 225 of the TL owners manual states "only SAE Class "S" Cable-type traction devices, with rubber chain tensioners on the front tires." may be used and that "metal link-type "chains" should not be used".

That's out of the Canadian manual which I believe is the same as the USs so the page numbers should be the same.

Try this link : http://www.tirechain.com/FREQUENTLY_ASKED_QUESTIONS.HTM

Originally Posted by mmivacura
Can anyone advise me as to what traction devices are required on the TL. I know that chains are not to be used but when I asked my local dealer what type of traction device and where can I buy them, he didn't know!

I know it is summer and this topic may not be that timely, but any info would certainly be apprecitated.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:56 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Sorry too late for an edit with the 5 minute rule . Try this link:

http://www.tirechain.com/FREQUENTLY_ASKED_QUESTIONS.HTM
Old 09-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Pro

Check out the Spikes Spiders, easy on and off and don't need to worry about chains or cables banging the fender.

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/
Old 09-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Those look like they would be hell on any paved section of road. I still lobby for the pricy snow tires.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Racer

I don't think you understand

Someone said it early, but I will say it again. If you live in California and want to go skiing in Tahoe, and it is snowing, then the roads are closed by the CHP and the only cars that can go through are cars with CHAINS/Traction Devices or 4x4 .. so it doesn't really matter if you have snow tires you need to have something on your wheels for traction.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Actuary
Did you get Bridgestone from factory? If you have Bridgestone it totally sucks in rain and snow. Factory Michelin does good job though.

There are A LOT of complains about EL42 from not just TL owners but G35s and Maximas and Altimas
I have the Michelin but still prefer 4 snow tires for the winter to retain maximum driveability in all conditions.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:20 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gcook
Someone said it early, but I will say it again. If you live in California and want to go skiing in Tahoe, and it is snowing, then the roads are closed by the CHP and the only cars that can go through are cars with CHAINS/Traction Devices or 4x4 .. so it doesn't really matter if you have snow tires you need to have something on your wheels for traction.

Very true,

Not only did I live in California for 4 years but growing up in Montana and having relatives in Sacramento we made several road trips back and forth. From what I remember, actual "snow" tires were OK then, but all others required chains etc. Things may have changed though.

As a kid with a dad that didn't cuss much, I have never forgot one trip down to Sacramento from MT. We started over the pass from Reno and all cars were being stopped by the CHP. We had "all season" tires on our fwd sedan and the CHP demanded we had to purchase chains in order to continue. Needless to say my old man was furious. His exact, very disgusted comment (though true) to the CHP was: "I HAVE MORE F'ing SNOW ON MY DRIVEWAY THAN YOU HAVE ON THIS FREEWAY!!!!" - and then something about knowing how to drive etc... We were purchasing chains 20 minutes later....... He and I still laugh about it today

Straps are much better than chains.. Besides, most vehicles today don't have the wheel well space for chain applications. Besides, the rubber/strap jobbers are much easier on the wheels and car in general.

Drive safe
Old 09-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Would they accept metal studded tires?

If you want to get real fancy you could install automatic tire chains, they dont rap around the wheel so you wouldnt have to worry about wheel well damage.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:53 PM
Instructor

I think a few people are missing his point. He will only have to deal with snow covered roads several times a year and he does not want to remove four tires and put on another four snow tires. Big hassle, he was looking for something similar to chains that he could put on and take off fairly quickly. Pittsubrgh in the winter is pretty nasty with the mountain/hill terrain, so snow tires are a must. But then everyone out here leaves them on for six months. At over a thousand bucks for a set of wheel/tires, I am sure this isn't the greatest solution for an occasional trip into the California mountains for a little skiing action. Frenchnew, I was looking for steelies, but could not find any for my six speed, I assume because of those big ass Brembo's. Is your car a AT or MT?
Old 09-17-2005, 12:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JERU
I think a few people are missing his point. He will only have to deal with snow covered roads several times a year and he does not want to remove four tires and put on another four snow tires. Big hassle, he was looking for something similar to chains that he could put on and take off fairly quickly. Pittsubrgh in the winter is pretty nasty with the mountain/hill terrain, so snow tires are a must. But then everyone out here leaves them on for six months. At over a thousand bucks for a set of wheel/tires, I am sure this isn't the greatest solution for an occasional trip into the California mountains for a little skiing action. Frenchnew, I was looking for steelies, but could not find any for my six speed, I assume because of those big ass Brembo's. Is your car a AT or MT?
I have the AT version for that reason and the resale value down the road as mostly young drivers are interested in MT version of that car and they can't afford the insurances up here for this type of car.

Also, alloy wheels use in Quebec is a very bad idea for winter as they use so much road salt, it will migrate between the tire and the wheel and start eating away at that nice aluminium that forms the tire seal. After 2 or 3 winters, you get continuous slow leaks and the only remedy is to grind the attacked surface and apply a liberal amount of grease before you remount the tire so you can seal it but the tire will have a tendency to spin on the wheel under hard acceleration and braking.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 12-12-2005, 12:01 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 99WDP
Check out the Spikes Spiders, easy on and off and don't need to worry about chains or cables banging the fender.

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/
I've been researching the Spikes-Spyders and they look like they would work on my 2002 TL Type-S. But can anyone give me the official word or go ahead?