Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torn between G35 and TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 09:39 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Torn between G35 and TL

Ok, I'm about to purchase a new car in few days and I'm down to two-G35 6MT or TL 6MT. I test drove the G yesterday and it felt pretty solid. The interior was just okay. Now, I haven't driven the new TL but I figure it'll feel pretty much similar. I'd love to hear your take on these two cars, especially those who have already considered both cars. Here's my take:
G - like the RWD, exterior styling, lots of torque, warranty; not sure about interior features, reliability, wet/snow traction.
TL - like the extra features, interior design, practicality of FWD, Honda reliability; not sure about the bugs in the new model, handling, etc.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Torn between G35 and TL

Originally posted by oscar800
Ok, I'm about to purchase a new car in few days and I'm down to two-G35 6MT or TL 6MT. I test drove the G yesterday and it felt pretty solid. The interior was just okay. Now, I haven't driven the new TL but I figure it'll feel pretty much similar. I'd love to hear your take on these two cars, especially those who have already considered both cars. Here's my take:
G - like the RWD, exterior styling, lots of torque, warranty; not sure about interior features, reliability, wet/snow traction.
TL - like the extra features, interior design, practicality of FWD, Honda reliability; not sure about the bugs in the new model, handling, etc.
I have driven both, but am not an expert, here is my feeling
You are not buying a race car, even if u race sometimes it is mostly for driving.
I believe Car and Driver named that last TL the best performing FWD car and said this one blows it away. IT has plenty of performance
G35 is a lot more money, especially when equally equipped and I still can't get over the plastic interior
Almost got into a few accidents trying to read that analog clock, but I have been known to be retarded
TL is bsporty and roomy for 4, I prefer 4 door and the G35 is fugly in the sedan, I do think the coupe looks great though
I am a feature guy, u may not be and the TL has all my little goodies
Bugs are minimal and it is 1 o2 stupid things that are popping up. You might read a lot about on the forum, but really not huge things and they are all that is talked about cause there is nothing else.
Both cars DO have great power and Nissan/ Infiniti is well know for their V6 engines
If you are not getting the sedan awd $$$ version that I would think the TL has it beat in wet/snow traction
When paying the $ the fit adn finish feels stronger on Acura, but that may again be perception.
You will also have the car longer before the body style change as the G has been out a few years now.

I drove an older stock G35 and a new loaded TL for the record
These are just how I view the situation
Old 03-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Sorry to all you people who like posters to proof read, not my style
Old 03-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Advanced

WWell I was in the same situation you are in now. I had test drove both cars. Both are great cars. G35 Coupe is sleek in design, comfortable, and very fast. I enjoyed all those but I was considering space. Over the long run I asked myself would I sacrifice space for speed.

Now on the TL This car has a beautiful shape and is very different from other cars on the market because its the most technologically advance car on the market. With its Voice Recognition, Maintenence Reminder, BlueTooth Capibilities, and Dvd-Audio 5.1 Dolby Surrond Sound. This car keeps going and going with its gadgets. Not to say its interior. Once you sit in one you will get my point. Vey comfortable for those long trips on the road. Very user friendly. Very fast car when V-tec kicks in. Exciting to hear it once it kicks in VROOOOOOOM! NaVI Screen is very easy to operate. Get lost and can't find your way back home just say aloud Home! The car will guide you back to your domocile. Space was great I can carry lots of bags, passengers w/o anyone complaing for lack of space. The car won me over with all its attributes. Test drive one and see if it appeals to you. It did for me.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I'm a G35 owner, but appreciate the TL (that's why I hang out on this board). I have owned 6 Honda/Acuras, and 6 Nissan/Infinitis. So - do you think I'm biased? And when others comment on reliability, ask them how many of each brand THEY have owned.

Now, with that introdution, here are some comments. They guy above me needs to exlpain why he thinks the G35 is more expensive than the TL. It is not. The TL does have Bluetooth, and the DVD-A stereo, but other than they they are about the same price comparably equiped.

The interior of the G35 doesn't bother me. Not quite as nice as the TL - I admit. Buy I'm not at all unhappy with it.

I have not driven the TL, so I won't act like a moron and imply that I know which drives better. For that, I can only rely on the road tests I have read. You can do that as well as I can.

My G35 is 14 months old with 22,000 miles, and has not been to the shop at all. I did have to fix some minor rattles in the door, but I know what they are, and how to fix them. Other than that, the car has had zero problems. It has also just been rated one of the top ten resale cars sold in the U.S.

I don't think you can go wrong with either car though. I think it should come down to personal preference more than facts and figures. They compare very well to each other.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Instructor

I had this dilemma last year. 2003 G35 Sedan, or 2003 TL type-S. I liked the G more at the time. Just thought it was cooler looking, less common, and faster. However, it only came in RWD which is a problem in Ohio. In addition, Acura gave me too much for my Prelude (which was burning oil thanks to Jiffy Lube) so I felt I had to get an Acura. I'm happy with the choice now though. I think the 04 TL is better looking than the G, and performance should be comparable. Go with Black!
Old 03-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Advanced

I considered both and decided on the TL. There are a number of reasons and almost all are subjective (so feel free to disagree). First, I don't think the build quality and reliability of Nissan/Infinity is up to the standards of Honda (I'm trading a '99 Maxima SE so I've had one for 5 years). It's not that I've had a lot of problems in the 5 years (and only 35,000 miles) but its been minor things that make me worry about the larger things. I've owned a number of Honda's and I've always been happy with them. Second, there are a number of aesthetic things that made me prefer the TL. I don't like the black plastic look of the bottom of the car. I felt like the quality of the interior of the G35 was inferior. I didn't like the layout of the G35 in terms of the Nav, the seat adjustment on the left side of the drivers seat, etc. Third is inclement weather capability. I did prefer the engine and RWD of the G35 for good weather but I decided those weren't that important to me. I have a dedicated sports car when that is what I'm in the mood for. The FWD is a plus for winter driving. We don't get much here but we have to go work regardless and the TL should be much better for that.

All in all, I think they are both great cars and either is a good choice. You need to drive both and decide which factors are most important to you.

Good luck making your choice.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Instructor

For me it was the interior and the drive wheels that sold me. The TL has a much nicer interior, and I spend a LOT of time in my car. Also, I have to drive over the mountain passes into Eastern WA once a week and did not think RWD was a good idea.

Price, they were about identical for the features I was looking for, and Infiniti has beat Acura for many years in every reliability test (including Consumer Reports and JD Powers).

But, perhaps the biggest factor, Infiniti has only one dealership in Seattle. The next closest is Portland, OR, 260 miles away. Can you imagine how long I would have to wait for service and how much it would cost with a monopoly like that?!?!?
Old 03-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Racer

I concur with jjsC5's post. Before I bought a TL, I had it narrowed down to a TL or a G35C, and I agonized over the choice. Both of these cars excel, but they excel differently.

Number of doors wasn't an issue to me, and I think the G coupe is easily one of sweetest looking cars on the road. Same holds true for the TL, so IMO, exterior styling is a wash. I'm not as crazy about the looks of the G35S.

I like the TL interior better. There are a lot of negative comments in other threads about the G35 interior, and I don't want to be part of that. To my taste, I feel the TL interior is more cohesively themed, has more flow to it, features nicer materials, surfaces and switchgear, and offers more technology and amenities. The TL feels roomier inside. I also prefer the blue lighting of the TL at night over the yellow lighting of the G35. The G's gauges are more sporty at a glance, but the blue TL lighting is more comfortable after some unmeasured length of time. The TL has a nicer navi, IMO. Larger screen, much easier to use and program.

If performance and handling is your top priority, IMO, the G35 wins. Both cars have superb engines. I like the TL's shifter better, though the clutch takes a bit of getting used to. The G35 outhandles the TL, period. It offers better balance and it corners like it's on rails. The ride is a little more harsh. Some people don't like that, but I don't mind. The G35 does a better job of communicating the road to you through the wheel and the suspension. The TL handles well, but not as well as the G35. The ride is more refined. The TL sacrifices road feel and cornering stability due to suspension compromises and the limitations of FWD.

Where I live, the G35's handling advantages are less of an issue to me. The terrain is very flat and there are very few twisty roads. For all the inherent superiority of a RWD platform, FWD is a plus during midwest winters.

It's a tough call. I went with the 6MT TL w/navi, and I love owning and driving it. Whichever waty you go, you're gonna win. As predicaments go, it's a nice one to be in. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

oscar800 -

I drove both and strongly considered both. These were the things that steered me towards the 04TL:

1) Don't get fooled by the G35's more aggressive settings for the gas & brake pedals. A light touch on either the gas or brake of the G35 gave a strong response ... more than I liked. I feel like I have more control of the TL because of the more linear response. These cars are almost the same when you floor the pedals, though - blazing fast acceleration and braking when needed.

2) Where do you spend most of the time with your car? I'm usually inside, enjoying the drive. I'll be spending a few thousand hours inside the car, so I want it to be comfortable. This is where the 04TL totally oblitherates the G35. The interior quality of the 04TL for ergonomics, materials, and functionality have raised the bar for a lot of cars - not just the G35. Interior design is very important. Just like with a marriage, little problems can become big annoyances over time. The G35 had too many of these "little problems" for my tastes.

3) Seriously consider the Navi on the TL. The Navi on the G35 wasn't even an option for me because it was almost unusable. The Navi on the TL is the first Navigation system that I found usable during driving because of the Voice Recognition. I can stay focused on the road, instead of the Navi screen. I also use the Voice Recognition quite a bit for Climate Control and radio selection. The Navi with Voice Recognition has made the car more functional in my opinion.

4) Don't be concerned about "first production" problems. Many of the complaints that you'll find in this forum are very minor but get a lot of press here. Most of these problems you probably wouldn't know about if you didn't read them here. I personally have had only one small problem - the passenger side vanity mirror rattles a little when it is against the windshield. I'll get this fixed at the dealership sometime later.

5) Don't be too swayed by the RWD emphasis by C&D and other enthusiast mags. Unless you're planning on racing a lot, the FWD is more practical for everyday use. I didn't find the torque steering to be very bad when I drove a 04TL 6MT.

Both are excellent cars, though. Once you decide, I'm sure you'll be very happy either way.

jjsC5 -

On edmunds.com, to comparably equip the G35, I added the Premium Package, and XM Satellite Radio.

04 G35 MSRP price: $34,390 (coupe) / $33,890 (sedan).
04TL MSRP price: $32,650.

Proof enough?
Old 03-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was sure I was going to buy a G35 until I actually saw a TL. The features won me over. Although the G35 has navi I don't think you can program it while moving. Also it couldn't locate the addresses I put in, nor was it voice activated. The TL had every address I input including some very obscure ones. The seat switches on top the seats in the G35 looked odd to me and it really didn't feel up to the quality of the TL. The G35 sound system isn't even in the same ballpark IMO.

Five months later no problems and no regrets.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Banned

Re: Torn between G35 and TL

Originally posted by oscar800
You are on a Acura-TL forum, and I have noticed alot of these guys are extremly biased towards the TL.

The only thing I can offer is test drive both SEVERAL times, and see which you like.

For reliability for the record so far, the G35 is better. The G35 also has better resale value than any car on the road right now in its class.

I was torn between to the 2 cars alot. It took me 2-3 weeks before I could decide. I went for the more FUN factory, better warranty, and less problems to deal with. I got the G35. I definitely do not regret it. It is fun, it runs low 14s stock, it is RWD, its a Infiniti (better service) (or should I say the best period over Lexus). Also got a better deal. Got a loaded Premium, 6MT, sport, for 31,200. The TL, couldn't budge them off MSRP much.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Torn between G35 and TL

Your post is so hard to read.....

G35 is less money, look up your facts please. Plastic? The TL has alot of plastic too. And alot more rattles with the TL it seems. Learn to read analog, its easy to see the clock. People who think the g35 is ugly, has no class IMHO.

Originally posted by moreace
I have driven both, but am not an expert, here is my feeling
You are not buying a race car, even if u race sometimes it is mostly for driving.
I believe Car and Driver named that last TL the best performing FWD car and said this one blows it away. IT has plenty of performance
G35 is a lot more money, especially when equally equipped and I still can't get over the plastic interior
Almost got into a few accidents trying to read that analog clock, but I have been known to be retarded
TL is bsporty and roomy for 4, I prefer 4 door and the G35 is fugly in the sedan, I do think the coupe looks great though
I am a feature guy, u may not be and the TL has all my little goodies
Bugs are minimal and it is 1 o2 stupid things that are popping up. You might read a lot about on the forum, but really not huge things and they are all that is talked about cause there is nothing else.
Both cars DO have great power and Nissan/ Infiniti is well know for their V6 engines
If you are not getting the sedan awd $$$ version that I would think the TL has it beat in wet/snow traction
When paying the $ the fit adn finish feels stronger on Acura, but that may again be perception.
You will also have the car longer before the body style change as the G has been out a few years now.

I drove an older stock G35 and a new loaded TL for the record
These are just how I view the situation
Old 03-14-2004, 11:15 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Re: Re: Torn between G35 and TL

Originally posted by TL_6SPD
You are on a Acura-TL forum, and I have noticed alot of these guys are extremly biased towards the TL.

The only thing I can offer is test drive both SEVERAL times, and see which you like.

For reliability for the record so far, the G35 is better. The G35 also has better resale value than any car on the road right now in its class.

I was torn between to the 2 cars alot. It took me 2-3 weeks before I could decide. I went for the more FUN factory, better warranty, and less problems to deal with. I got the G35. I definitely do not regret it. It is fun, it runs low 14s stock, it is RWD, its a Infiniti (better service) (or should I say the best period over Lexus). Also got a better deal. Got a loaded Premium, 6MT, sport, for 31,200. The TL, couldn't budge them off MSRP much.
Tl will budge off MSRP
It seems most people on the forum had do decide between these 2
Try checking out a G35 forum as well
DEF take the TL for a test drive at least

Just curious, y is your name TL-6spd if you got the G35?
Old 03-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Banned

MSRP means nothing right now. The TL is being offered almost at MSRP, the G35 isn't near it. The G35 is cheaper.

Originally posted by żGotJazz?
oscar800 -

I drove both and strongly considered both. These were the things that steered me towards the 04TL:

1) Don't get fooled by the G35's more aggressive settings for the gas & brake pedals. A light touch on either the gas or brake of the G35 gave a strong response ... more than I liked. I feel like I have more control of the TL because of the more linear response. These cars are almost the same when you floor the pedals, though - blazing fast acceleration and braking when needed.

2) Where do you spend most of the time with your car? I'm usually inside, enjoying the drive. I'll be spending a few thousand hours inside the car, so I want it to be comfortable. This is where the 04TL totally oblitherates the G35. The interior quality of the 04TL for ergonomics, materials, and functionality have raised the bar for a lot of cars - not just the G35. Interior design is very important. Just like with a marriage, little problems can become big annoyances over time. The G35 had too many of these "little problems" for my tastes.

3) Seriously consider the Navi on the TL. The Navi on the G35 wasn't even an option for me because it was almost unusable. The Navi on the TL is the first Navigation system that I found usable during driving because of the Voice Recognition. I can stay focused on the road, instead of the Navi screen. I also use the Voice Recognition quite a bit for Climate Control and radio selection. The Navi with Voice Recognition has made the car more functional in my opinion.

4) Don't be concerned about "first production" problems. Many of the complaints that you'll find in this forum are very minor but get a lot of press here. Most of these problems you probably wouldn't know about if you didn't read them here. I personally have had only one small problem - the passenger side vanity mirror rattles a little when it is against the windshield. I'll get this fixed at the dealership sometime later.

5) Don't be too swayed by the RWD emphasis by C&D and other enthusiast mags. Unless you're planning on racing a lot, the FWD is more practical for everyday use. I didn't find the torque steering to be very bad when I drove a 04TL 6MT.

Both are excellent cars, though. Once you decide, I'm sure you'll be very happy either way.

jjsC5 -

On edmunds.com, to comparably equip the G35, I added the Premium Package, and XM Satellite Radio.

Proof enough?
Old 03-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Torn between G35 and TL

Originally posted by moreace
Tl will budge off MSRP
It seems most people on the forum had do decide between these 2
Try checking out a G35 forum as well
DEF take the TL for a test drive at least

Just curious, y is your name TL-6spd if you got the G35?
Thats how close I was to getting the TL over the G35... I even had a deposit down on one. But after driving them again and again, the G35 was more fun, more refined imho, less problems. I don't have to worry about memory seats, tires, rattles, sunroof problems, soft seats, causing them to tear, etc.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Re: Re: Re: Re: Torn between G35 and TL

Thats how close I was to getting the TL over the G35... I even had a deposit down on one. But after driving them again and again, the G35 was more fun, more refined imho, less problems. I don't have to worry about memory seats, tires, rattles, sunroof problems, soft seats, causing them to tear, etc.
k, just had to ask
mighta been a different story if tehy were both released at the same time
G35 has a couple year of refining problems already
Old 03-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Instructor

The prices of the TL Manual and the G35 Manual are pretty much equal.

TL 6MT MSRP: $33,195
G35 6MT with Premium MSRP: $33,640 (add $400 to this if you want satellite radio, which has a monthly fee)

You can buy either for about $31k to $31.5k if you haggle a bit, depending on your location.

-Exclusive features on both cars-

G35:
Reclining rear seats
Heated passenger seatback
Power entry/exit assist
Rear auto up-down windows
Compass
Auto on-off headlights
Slightly longer warranty
Bigger trunk

TL:
Auto reverse tilt side mirrors
Telescopic steering wheel
Memorized setting for side mirrors
Power driver seat lumbar (manual in G35)
DVD-a capability
Bluetooth compatibility
Better gas mileage

I often read that the TL offers more features than the G35, but I feel that the feature content is similar between the two cars, especially if you don't have a Bluetooth phone (most people don't) or many DVD-audio discs (most people don't). IMO, the TL has a better quality interior while the G is more fun to drive.

If you're willing to wait a few months, the 2005 G35 will have an upgraded interior and standard "aero" kit. MSRP will probably go up about $1000 to $1500.

A lot of people are under the impression that Acura's are more reliable than Infiniti's, but that's not true, at least according to CR.

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1078916491036

Either car will probably be reliable enough in the long run anyway.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Instructor

In all fairness, if you can wait until April 8th, Infiniti is going to show the redesigns of their vehicles, aminly the M45 and the new interiors of the G's at the New York auto show.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:31 PM
ZHP 4CE

Oscar800-

I was (and still am) in your position. I feel that I'm fairly neutral because I haven't bought either yet. I won't be purchasing until May, so I've had way too much time to agonize over the decision. I've tested both cars several times already and I am completely torn between the TL and the G35 coupe. I've also spent a lot of time on both forums and met some great people on both sides. I think that the decision would be a lot easier if it were between the TL and the G sedan, which I also tested.

To me, and a lot of other people, it's hard to find that perfect package: looks, performance, and interior luxury. Here's the way I've boiled it down in my mind:

Performance: The G35 coupe is a pretty clear winner in this category (it's slightly faster, and the handling inspires a bit more confidence). However, I've always driven FWD four bangers, so the TL feels excellent to me (great power, great handling). The G35 sedan felt a tad slower and just a little less agile (although this might have been more mental than anything else, since I didn't drive it back to back with the coupe). I liked the TL's 6 speed manual the best, despite having to get used to the unusual clutch feel (never stalled, but the sales rep was exactly impressed).

Interior: This one isn't even close, although I must admit that the G's interior has grown on me, especially after seeing how the dash lights up at night. The TL's interior feels integrated and sleek and has more gadgets than I can possibly mention here. The G's interior feels a little boxy and did feel a bit cheaper. And I know this is a personal preference thing, but man, that little analog clock annoys the crap out of me. It's not that I can't read it; it just looks so out of place on this car with its more sporty nature. The TL's seats feel more comfortable to me, but I really think that this depends on the individual person.

Navi Systems: The TL wins this one for me. I like the way the G's navi system slides up and down. I also like the bird's eye view available on the G's navi. The TL's navi is significantly bigger and in my opinion gives a better picture. The size makes a big difference when you're driving and have to look over quickly at it. The touchscreen of the TL is much easier to use, and the voice commands are amazing.

Reliability/service: The G35 wins this category (read all the surveys and reports), but Acura is so excellent in this area, that either way, you'll probably be very satisfied. As far as service, each individual dealer is different, but in spending so much time on this forum and the G35driver forum, I'd have to say that I think that Infiniti's service is a bit better than Acura's. Both sides have their good and bad stories, so I think the most important thing is to find a dealer that will treat you right, whichever route you choose. There are online ratings and reviews of Infiniti and Acura dealers for most areas--check these out.

Price: This is basically six of one or half a dozen of the other. At this point, the Infiniti has the higher MSRP if you load it up with the options that the TL has, but you can also bargain more to get the price down to the same or even lower than the TL. Excluding trade-in valuations, the difference probably shouldn't be enough to sway you one way or another, especially since it's becoming easier to bargain more on the TL.

Appearance: This is a completely subjective category, of course. I've showed the G and the TL to most of my friends and while they liked both cars, the G35 coupe really stands out; it's definitely an eye-catcher. Every single one of my friends thought that the TL was a sexy car, but each one felt that the G35 was more of a "looker." However, they all felt that the TL looked better than the G35 sedan. I think that the sedan is a great looking car, but it loses some of the sexy lines of the coupe. It seems much more pedestrian to me (although the tail end still looks hot).

Another thing to consider is that Infiniti is making minor changes to the G35 for the 2005 model. They will be releasing it to the public at the NY auto show in early April (although it won't be available until mid to late summer). So you might want to check it out and see what kind of improvements that are made to the interior.

For me, personally, I'm leaning towards the TL at this point because it suits my needs the best. My advice to you is not to simply weigh the pros and cons of each car based on category (although that's how I have it laid out here for convenience sake). You gotta drive both and see which one fits you better. There is no PERFECT car, but there is one that is more suited to you. When you get into either one, ask yourself which one makes you happier. When you compare them on paper, it's really a tossup, but when I paid attention to how each one made me feel when I checked them out personally, I'm pretty sure I found my answer.

To those of you on this forum who bought the G35, which did you get, the sedan or coupe?

Sorry this was so long--I think this was just as much for me as for everyone else.

Good luck with your decision, and congratulations to all those who bought either one.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:47 PM
Intermediate

Also, after talking to an Infinity dealer, he said they will be coming out with a M35. I don't know if it will be based on the Maxima or will it just be a M45 with a smaller engine and less accessories?

After looking at what Nissan did to upgrade the 2005 Altimas interior I would not be surprised at all if they didn't do much to the interior of the new G. IMO, I was not impressed with the changes at all. But alas, the Infinity G35 is right now the flagship of the Nissan/Infinity world of v6 sedans, so if they know what's right it will be a huge transformation.

The G35 is very nice, but for me it is too small on the interior and dated looking design. What's up with the pop up Navi screen? That is just RICEY! With all things being close to equal, the interior,gas mileage, Bi-Xenon lights, and the superior Navi system won my heart over. I hate the halogen brights on the G. Infinity must do something about that.

Disclamer: I do not own either car, but the extensive research I have done has led me to these conclusions. I have driven both cars three times a piece. And spent countless hours on the internet.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

jjsC5 -

Proof enough? [/B]
The guy I refered to said the G35 "costs a lot more". I don't consider 3% "a lot more". And it's hard to compare them feature for feature.

If this is a significant difference to some of you - so be it. But that's not enough difference to sway me one way or another.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Word is that the folks at Nissan have heard all the complaints about cheap interiors and the '05 G35 will be greatly improved. I am replacing my current '00tl in Oct. and intend to seriously check out the G35x. The other nice thing about the G35 is that you can actually order one without the stupid hole in the roof that I never use. Try that with Acura.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Banned

Got the Sedan 6MT here. It was a more pratical car overall with the same performance as the Coupe. The Sedan is lighter, and just as fast as the coupe. I needed 4 doors, and a bigger trunk. So I couldn't get the coupe. I went from a SUV to the Sedan.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Banned

The G35 Sedan interior is actually bigger than the TL in most places. Look at the specs. And by all means the G35 is not dated. Go back to your hole you came out of if you think that. If hi-beams you want in HID, then i gues you have a need for them. lol I rarely use Hi-beams, no need to waste money on HID hi-beams.

I get over 360 a tank before my gas light comes on. That is better than alot of TL guys I see on this forum posting.

Originally posted by supdawg
Also, after talking to an Infinity dealer, he said they will be coming out with a M35. I don't know if it will be based on the Maxima or will it just be a M45 with a smaller engine and less accessories?

After looking at what Nissan did to upgrade the 2005 Altimas interior I would not be surprised at all if they didn't do much to the interior of the new G. IMO, I was not impressed with the changes at all. But alas, the Infinity G35 is right now the flagship of the Nissan/Infinity world of v6 sedans, so if they know what's right it will be a huge transformation.

The G35 is very nice, but for me it is too small on the interior and dated looking design. What's up with the pop up Navi screen? That is just RICEY! With all things being close to equal, the interior,gas mileage, Bi-Xenon lights, and the superior Navi system won my heart over. I hate the halogen brights on the G. Infinity must do something about that.

Disclamer: I do not own either car, but the extensive research I have done has led me to these conclusions. I have driven both cars three times a piece. And spent countless hours on the internet.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:08 PM
ZHP 4CE

I get over 360 a tank before my gas light comes on. That is better than alot of TL guys I see on this forum posting.
Yeah, from what I've seen in my research and from what people have said on the forum, the TL gets about the same mileage as the G35 (maybe a little better), but the G has a bigger tank, which is nice.

TL_6SPD, how did you feel comparing the straight line performance of the TL with the G35?
Old 03-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TLud
Yeah, from what I've seen in my research and from what people have said on the forum, the TL gets about the same mileage as the G35 (maybe a little better), but the G has a bigger tank, which is nice.

TL_6SPD, how did you feel comparing the straight line performance of the TL with the G35?
To me, the G35 puts you in the seat all the way from a stop to redline in most of the gears. The TL doesn't until you get to about 3-4k then it will put you there. IMHO, the G35 felt faster per my butt dyno.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Gas mileage is not the G35's strong suit. In fairly moderate driving, I'm lucky to get 20mpg. My wifes new Murano is averaging right at 20 as well in similar driving - is runs about 700 rpm less on the highway due to the CVT.

I get better mileage in my Corvette than I do in the G35.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

I drove both cars as well......the G is a fine automobile, no doubt....but it was the interior of the TL that sold me.....there is simply no comparison. The "value-for-the-dollar" of the TL outranks the G. Performance-wise, they are both very enjoyable driving experiences. But I LIKE the feeling I get when I'm surrounded by the TL's interior, or when I flip on a DVD or the XM and settle in for a great ride.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:46 PM
ZHP 4CE

Originally posted by jjsC5
Gas mileage is not the G35's strong suit. In fairly moderate driving, I'm lucky to get 20mpg. My wifes new Murano is averaging right at 20 as well in similar driving - is runs about 700 rpm less on the highway due to the CVT.

I get better mileage in my Corvette than I do in the G35.
jjsC5-

Houston is not conducive to good gas mileage. I'll be moving back to Houston in May, where I'll either be purchasing a new TL or G35. Which Infiniti dealership did you buy your G from and which Acura and Infiniti dealers would you recommend?
Old 03-14-2004, 08:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TLud
jjsC5-

Houston is not conducive to good gas mileage. I'll be moving back to Houston in May, where I'll either be purchasing a new TL or G35. Which Infiniti dealership did you buy your G from and which Acura and Infiniti dealers would you recommend?
I have bought both Infinitis from West Houston. I had a really lousy experience trying to deal with North Houston Infiniti.

As far as Acura, I've dealt with two, but it's been over 10 years. Southwest is a zoo (you'll know as soon as you walk in the door). I think Charlie Thomas (Gulf Freeway) would be my choice. I"ve been in there several times the past few years, and they've been very professional.

Good luck either way.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally posted by jjsC5
They guy above me needs to exlpain why he thinks the G35 is more expensive than the TL. It is not.
jjsC5 - Even though I'm not the "guy above" in question, you asked for proof. I provided that with my numbers from Edmunds. Regardless of whether the G35 is 3% more, 10% more, or 0.00005% more, it's more expensive. End of story.

Also, $1,240.00 is a lot of money to me, regardless of whether it is 3.8% of an 04TL's cost, or 1.74E-08% of the U.S. National Debt (on 11-MAR-04). It must be nice for you to not care about that much money.

And for those of you who say that you can bargain more on a G35, my local Inifniti Dales Manager was unwilling to budge off of MSRP for a G35 Coupe they had on the lot. During our "deal", a yelling match (on both sides) ensued because of their unwillingness to drop anything off of MSRP. I was told that the Sales Manager lost his job a few days later. The Infiniti General Manager called to apologize, but by then it was too late - I already put a deposit down on a 04TL. At least my Acura dealer was willing to discount a little.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:12 AM
Instructor

jjsC5 - Even though I'm not the "guy above" in question, you asked for proof. I provided that with my numbers from Edmunds. Regardless of whether the G35 is 3% more, 10% more, or 0.00005% more, it's more expensive. End of story.

Also, $1,240.00 is a lot of money to me, regardless of whether it is 3.8% of an 04TL's cost, or 1.74E-08% of the U.S. National Debt (on 11-MAR-04). It must be nice for you to not care about that much money.

And for those of you who say that you can bargain more on a G35, my local Inifniti Dales Manager was unwilling to budge off of MSRP for a G35 Coupe they had on the lot. During our "deal", a yelling match (on both sides) ensued because of their unwillingness to drop anything off of MSRP. I was told that the Sales Manager lost his job a few days later. The Infiniti General Manager called to apologize, but by then it was too late - I already put a deposit down on a 04TL. At least my Acura dealer was willing to discount a little.
The original poster is debating between a 6MT vs. 6MT. G35 Sedan 6MT MSRP (including $400 satellite radio that he may not subscribe to anyway) is $34,040 including DC. The TL MSRP is $33,195 including DC. This is a $845 difference.

You're right, even $845 is not chump change. But no one pays MSRP for either car in those configurations. The street prices are about the same between the two cars.

The Coupe on the other hand, you're not gonna find much of a discount.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:52 AM
Racer

the tl is less money for more features. even infinity salespeople [and this is a quote] say the tl interior is NICE and acura did a good job with the tl. I bought the tl because you are limited to 2 interior colors on the g and interior looks cheap and the stereo is yet another lame bose setup.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:00 AM
Instructor

I agree about Bose. They just don't make good speakers for what they charge, whether in cars or at home.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:07 AM
Racer

I had the bose in my mercedes. it sucked in comparison to els in the tl. by the way I have seen the new m45 and its going to be impressive. the g35 to me is not as good looking as the tl but of course looks are subjective. and if like me a navigation system is a must, the tl nav system is AWESOME. the combination of voice direction and control along with the detailed maps and turn by turn instructions it is better to me than the g35's. the integrated trip computer is cool on the g35 and the pop up feature would be ok for those who dont need the display shown at all time. calling that 'ricer' is pretty ignorant.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:08 AM
Intermediate

The G35 Sedan interior is actually bigger than the TL in most places. Look at the specs. And by all means the G35 is not dated. Go back to your hole you came out of if you think that. If hi-beams you want in HID, then i gues you have a need for them. lol I rarely use Hi-beams, no need to waste money on HID hi-beams.

Go back to my hole eh? You sound like you have the disposition of my 7 year old. I was clearly giving my opinion, nothing more. There is no need to get defensive. I have better things to do other than be ridiculed by some person with a Napoleon complex.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:50 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
I was sold on the G35 Coupe until I test drove both of them back to back on the same day. I loved the exterior looks of the G and I felt it handled better and felt better than the TL. I tried the G with snows on a snowy parking lot and it handled beautifully.

I much prefer the interior of the TL. In the end a few things resulted in my leasing the TL. First, I simply couldn't find a comfortable seating position in the G. The driver's seat seemed too narrow and the lumbar support caught me in the wrong place. The TL seat fits like a glove. Also, the steering wheel doesn't telescope in the G which reduces your options for finding a comfortable driving position. I would take them both for extended test drives to make sure you are comfortable in the cars. Second, the display is much cleaner and easier too read. I can drive the TL without glasses but not the G. Third, I loved the DVD Audio. Finally, Navi is much easier to use. The lower position in the car means it doesn't wash out in the sun as often as in the G. I hate only being able to access the Navi using the toggles switch. You can use the touchscreen in the TL which is dramatically quicker (although you do need to clean it more often).

In terms of price on a lease in Toronto the difference (considering the amount you can get off MSRP on the G and the lower lease rate) in price was about $30 a month.

Now that I have had my TL for a week I cannot tell you how happy I am with my choice. The handsfree link lets me operate the entire car without taking my hands off the steering wheel. I think the only thing I need to reach for is the seat warmer buttons. The bluetooth phone is amazing and so is the DVD Audio. The exterior styling, which I didn't much like, is also starting to grow on me.

This is my first new car in the 21st century and I feel like I am really driving a 21st century car.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

[B]jjsC5 - Even though I'm not the "guy above" in question, you asked for proof. I provided that with my numbers from Edmunds. Regardless of whether the G35 is 3% more, 10% more, or 0.00005% more, it's more expensive. End of story.
Maybe you aren't getting enough fiber in your diet. Yes, it's more expensive. I'm sorry if I implied that I thought they were EXACTLY the same price. As I stated above - my point was that I didn't consider it "a lot". If it's that big of a difference to you, perhaps you should be driving a Honda Element.

Lighten up.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Banned

Again the G35 is not more expensive. LOL

Quick Reply: Torn between G35 and TL