3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Speed on 08 TL Type S

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I have very mixed feelings on top speed.

I'm guilty of it. I've had the TL at an indicated 159. I've been 178mph indicated by the laptop in the GN when I was 19 and pissed at the parents.

Both were in the early morning hours. The GN was retarded because I was pissed and not thinking straight on a drag tire and a sustained 170+mph. The TL was thought out ahead of time and done in as safe of a manner as possible without being on a track.

I'm not saying I'll never do another top end run but it's not likely, I 1/4 race the GN and the TL is bone stock power wise. There's just no reason to do it.

There's a time and a place. I have no problem with people putting their own lives at risk, that's their right. But putting other people at risk is a very different story. I've lived in the same town for over 20 years. I know what sections of freeway and road have no pullouts and basically no chance of coming up on someone without a mile of visibility. I don't mess around in unfamiliar areas because even though the road may look straight and flat you may find a big dip, curve, or side street when it's too late.

I did want to address some of the handling traits of the (base) TL at high speeds. In stock form it feels pretty stable at 120+ mph. But you don't want to turn the wheel at those speeds. The TL has a very bad problem in stock form of hitting the rear bumpstops causing a snap spin. I consider myself very good at driving sideways and sliding a car. I've been driving a car that goes sideways from a 70mph roll since I was 19. But the TL has scared me more than the GN ever has. I've almost lost the rear end by hitting a very small bump while cornering at high speed. The problem is one second it feels very stable the next second it's hit the bumpstops causing infinate rear roll stiffness (think 600mm rear swaybar lol) and an almost uncontrollable slide. The times it's happened I can barely turn the steering wheel quick enough to catch the rear and then straighten it quick enough the second the suspension unloads.

I haven't talked about this because most people will call me all kinds of names or ask why I would want to drive that fast. But for those of you that do it, just keep this defect in mind before you decide to change direction at high speeds.

The best thing you can do for high speed handling is stiffen the springs, larger swaybars (especially the front), and a lots of dampening while maintaining a moderate ride height. Hitting the rear bumpstops at high speeds is a death trap. If you're slammed, stick to cruising.

I would imagine the TL-S is much more stable while cornering at higher speeds but I've only taken one to 100mph in a straight line. Don't get me wrong, the base feels stable but it will hurt you if you're not careful.

Off topic but I've looked at several aerodynamic aids. There are kits to box in the underbody so there's a smooth flow of air. I was thinking of making the front air dam lower while looking stock (maybe 2 stock ones together). I will never put an aftermarket looking spoiler on my car but if I could find one that looks like the stock one but functional I would do it. All it would really take is changing the shape of the underside of the spoiler. In fact, it's highly likely the small lip does more for aerodynamics than the larger factory spoiler.

The front airdam and flat underside will help aerodynamics while reducing lift and the spoiler would obviously provide some downforce albeit very, very little at legal speeds and at the stock height in dirty air.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by csmeance
The family has the lawyers file to take it down on numerous sites, others got the message and took them down. I don't think Internet Brands would like to get a legal letter, so please to refrain from posting such photos

2004-2006 TL is limited to 155 miles an hour, the German treaty.
2007-2008 TL-S 5AT is limited to 135, just like any other acura (RL/MDX)

FYI, it takes about 250 HP to reach 160 miles an hour, however this may increase or decrease depending on aerodynamics and parasitic loss of the drivetrain.

Also another FYI, another member did the math back in 2004, the TL 2004-2006 5AT transmission gearing will allow it to max out at 202 MPH while the 6MT will max out near 167MPH. Will the car hold together at that speed, we don't know. Will it reach that speed, maybe with 500 HP!

as far as driving in triple digit speeds, it's not worth it. You risk way to much, your life, the lives of innocent by standers and most of all, the repercussions through your family. Please keep it to the track and not on public roads.
Aerodynamics play a huge role, moreso than power. When the GN was putting down a little over 500rwhp it topped out at 178mph. This was banging the rev limiter but it probably wouldn't have gone much faster. The TL has 300 less whp but is only 20mph shy of the GN in top speed. One has the aerodynamics of a brick and the other is pretty good.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars

Off topic but I've looked at several aerodynamic aids. There are kits to box in the underbody so there's a smooth flow of air. I was thinking of making the front air dam lower while looking stock (maybe 2 stock ones together). I will never put an aftermarket looking spoiler on my car but if I could find one that looks like the stock one but functional I would do it. All it would really take is changing the shape of the underside of the spoiler. In fact, it's highly likely the small lip does more for aerodynamics than the larger factory spoiler.
Now doubt you're knowledgeable about this stuff but I gotta ask. OEM-looking or not, why install a spoiler on a FWD? I believe you to be more about performance than looks.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ciscopath
Now doubt you're knowledgeable about this stuff but I gotta ask. OEM-looking or not, why install a spoiler on a FWD? I believe you to be more about performance than looks.

Many times the balance of any car will shift toward oversteer at higher speeds. With a little downforce in the rear it allows you to set the suspension up a little more neutral at low to moderate speeds and not lose that balance at the higher speeds.

A little extra traction on the rear won't hurt anything as it does not take weight away from the front. Only negative is it could shift the balance toward understeer but overall traction would still be greater.

I hate aftermarket spoilers on any car. Even though I'm more about performance I would not install anything that did not look factory even if it meant a loss in performance.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many times the balance of any car will shift toward oversteer at higher speeds. With a little downforce in the rear it allows you to set the suspension up a little more neutral at low to moderate speeds and not lose that balance at the higher speeds..
Exactly. Even though we are talking substantial speed differences, this is why a dragster always looses the rear end first if he makes the slightest mistake. Add to that the tire growth which limits his contact patch. Now doing THAT at 300mph would make me shit my pants.

IMO, tire pressures play almost as important a function as suspension mods.
Being that the TL is FWD, the front tires heat up much faster than the rears,
therefore the contact patch on the fronts is reduced at high speeds.

The topic of suspension settings and tires (I realize is OFFtopic) is one of the most interesting, and sometimes misunderstood subjects IMO. Something new can be learned every day

'07 TL-S 5 A/T CBP
FUJITA F5
PROGRESS RSB
P2R
Braille Battery
V1 on the lookout
Old 02-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Intermediate

Cant be 130 i have a basic tl and my top speed is 156
Old 02-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AllBlackTL
Cant be 130 i have a basic tl and my top speed is 156
Read through the thread, 5at TL-S has a governor at ~135mph. Base TL and 6mt TL-S do not.

There's a debate on if the 6mt and base have governors at all. Some say they do, I've had my speedo buried at 160 on a decline. Could be speedo error, I don't know.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

Originally Posted by ciscopath
+1, performance spoilers are for RWD or AWD. why hold down the rear wheels , if the power is in the front??? rear spoiler for the TL is for looks and to please the young people. Acura even said so themselves.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Bayam0n
+1, performance spoilers are for RWD or AWD. why hold down the rear wheels , if the power is in the front??? rear spoiler for the TL is for looks and to please the young people. Acura even said so themselves.

It works the same for all cars. And it isn't just trying to hold the power which actually spoilers on ANY car do zill for. It is more for keeping the tires planted at higher speeds when cars have a tendency to LIFT so it keeps them more stable. Doesn't matter if it's FWD,AWD or RWD. It works for all cars and all cars can use them. They come very useful on the track at higher speeds to keep the tires planted more in the turns.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bayam0n
This has been answered in this thread twice already. It has nothing to do with the wheels that are powering the car.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:15 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Read through the thread, 5at TL-S has a governor at ~135mph. Base TL and 6mt TL-S do not.

There's a debate on if the 6mt and base have governors at all. Some say they do, I've had my speedo buried at 160 on a decline. Could be speedo error, I don't know.
+1
EVERY 07-08 TL-S has a governer for 130-135 (confirmed by the mechanics at my dealer)

according to S PAW though, he has the only TL-S that goes 150+
because he has mods and/or they forgot to install his governer

and anybody who disagrees is a dick swinging lie calling moron
Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Actually, several others have stated that their TL/TL-S exceeded the magic governor numbers (post #31, 18 are just a few). I assume you can read as well as swing

In the archives of Road and Track, they performed a comparison test between the (2007) TL-S, and G35, and found that the Acura had an electronically limited 147 mph. Oh, yes....that was without any mods.

As I stated, and one other has also, the governors seem randomly applied, especially in the 2007 model year.

When it comes down to it....who really cares? All we need some some idiot reading this forum and disagreeing with it in some way, and tries to prove his manhood by cracking himself up.....or others.

'07 TL-S 5 A/T CBP
FUJITA F5
PROGRESS RSB
Braille battery
F1 on the lookout
Old 03-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

^^^^^I think the governers depend by state, I think that'z why they may be random
Old 03-01-2010, 12:05 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by S PAW 1

When it comes down to it....who really cares? All we need some some idiot reading this forum and disagreeing with it in some way, and tries to prove his manhood by cracking himself up.....or others.
i can see you get butthurt easily from your post in this thread, i apologize, i will not tease you any further.

all anyone did was disagree with you b/c of the evidence at hand, if they are in fact random, thats fine.

but you going around calling people immature and assuming it is a personal attack everytime your post arent held as the bible is in fact, immature. not sure where the swinging comes into play though.

i'd like to hear more on this theory of limiters being put on certain states... seeing how acura dealers order cars from other dealers in all corners of the country when the customer ask for a certain trim/color.

if thats not the case, we can go by your explanation, that acura randomly didnt put them into certain cars.

by all means.. lets make this factual
Old 03-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
i can see you get butthurt easily from your post in this thread, i apologize, i will not tease you any further.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
folks, take a deep breath, relax, wooosa and then post.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess I was referring to the original challenge of my observation by GRECCO9885, rather than you.....but you seemed to be intertwining your last post to his.It seemed to have many similarities. If that was not your intention, then I apologize.

As stated, this forum is full of information, and misinformation. It is also full of valuable information that is mainly based upon personal experiences. I simply shared mine, and several others have voiced similar experiences.

If one does not agree with anothers experience, there is no need to challenge it, especially when the experience has been duplicated by others. If you don't like it, just move on and share yours, rather than challenge others.

P.S. leave my butt out of this

'07 TL-S 5A/T CBP
FUJITA F5
PROGRESS RSB
P2R
Braille battery
V1 on the lookout
Old 03-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ggesq
folks, take a deep breath, relax, wooosa and then post.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

i'd like to hear more on this theory of limiters being put on certain states... seeing how acura dealers order cars from other dealers in all corners of the country when the customer ask for a certain trim/color.
It would explain the randomness... but I think they put a defenit governer in 07.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 PM
The Dumb One

the only reason i cant fathom that they would put limiters in "some" cars is that if in fact some did not have them, there are situations where this could mean a lawsuit.

not saying good cases could be presented.. but why bother with the headache of sending some of your cars out different then others.. this would highly piss off the customers on both sides for certain reasons.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Team Owner

The usual reason for governors is what the factory tires are rated at. This has been going on for many years. My turbo car pulled like a freight train to 124mph and then stopped until I put a different chip in it, this is all the way back in '84.. 9 times out of 10 the governor is exactly what the tires are rated at. I'm pretty sure it's a federal law that the car can't exceed the tires rated speed.

Does anyone know if the AT version of the TL-S came with different tires than the base models or MT models?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

The original MXM's are "W" rated, 235/45/17, and are "grand touring all season"

Mine came with A/S Pilot's, which are "Z" rated- Ultra high performance all season.

I believe the W's are good for up to 168 mph.

'07 TL-S 5A/T CBP
FUJITA F5
PROGRESS RSB
P2R
Braille battery
V1 on the lookout
Old 03-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Perennial Topic = Top Speed TL

This comes up over and over again. Search is your friend. It all boils down to this:

When manufacturers use a speed limiter, it is for liability reasons. They don't want you to overdrive the certified top speed of the tires the car comes with.

My 2004 TL is equipped with OEM standard W rated tires (sustained speeds of 168 MPH). So, for those reasons stated, it doesn't need nor does it have a speed limiter. Mine is a 5AT (automatic). It is DRAG limited, however, to a little over 150 MPH. If you didn't know, the Cd is .29 or the same as a C-5 Corvette.

If you search all the top speed posts for the TL, you will find that people without limiters have varied between 149-155 MPH. The guy who was in the military who did the video in Germany apparently has a speed limiter as he documents it cutting in and out. Mine does not. I'm not sure if 6MT or 5AT has any bearing or not as to whether or not you have a speed limiter.

PS: I started this post in the morning and didn't finish it until now. There have been several new posts in the interim so that's why I may have restated some information already given.

I have had mine over 135 and, although it wanted lots of room, it still had lots more to go in 4th Gear! In fact, the Acura Owner's Manual on page 185 of the Driving section warns that you should not downshift from 5th to 4th gears at speeds over 149 MPH.

That said, I think you would need a long, empty road, a good tail wind, cool dense air, etc. to see much more than 152.

Oh, yes. And you would need more nerve than I have.

Last edited by Xpditor; 03-01-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

I saw the thread on the guy in Germany.
It is a little blurry. Is the speedo in mph or km/hr? Is it a USA specd' TL?
It would appear that he has maxed out in the mid-150's before the fuel cut off. Am I mistaken?

'07 TL-S 5 A/T CBP
FUJITA F5
PROGRESS RSB
P2R
Braille battery
V1 on the lookout
Old 03-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
The vid I saw, the driver was contending he had a speed limiter and it was cutting out about 135. It's been a while since I saw it.

That's when I learned some TLs have it and some don't.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
TL-S AT is 135mph watch my youtube video, its on there.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
With my wife and 2 dogs in the car..haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4b7LyWyjJg
Old 08-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

Hmm how come yours goes past the speed limiter? What did you do to bypass it?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This thread makes me wonder how many of you that have exceeded the (alleged) governed max speed of your vehicle are running on aftermarket wheels and tires and have not adjusted your speedos. Also, i do find the notion of some cars getting governers while others do not to be ludicrous. These cars are made on an assembly line, not hand made lol. Either we all have them, or we all don't.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Hmm how come yours goes past the speed limiter? What did you do to bypass it?
At what speed is the limiter "supposed" to turn on at? I've heard stories about TL's stopping at 155mph. But to answer your second question I haven't done anything.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Safety Car

135 mph is max.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Getting Hosed
This thread makes me wonder how many of you that have exceeded the (alleged) governed max speed of your vehicle are running on aftermarket wheels and tires and have not adjusted your speedos. Also, i do find the notion of some cars getting governers while others do not to be ludicrous. These cars are made on an assembly line, not hand made lol. Either we all have them, or we all don't.
It's in the software so it's very easy to change the governor from car to car.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
@ porsche girl. Gotta make an ebaum account to watch the other video Bayo.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:48 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by LasVegasTL
With my wife and 2 dogs in the car..haha.

x2
Old 08-04-2010, 06:26 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by AMUA6
@ porsche girl. Gotta make an ebaum account to watch the other video Bayo.
I just looked at the pics and whoa,thats bad.
When I was in junior high a equaintince of mine got his head choped too.
He ran a intercetion and when under a trailer.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Can't be. I have hit 135 in mine and that's per my GPS.
that is within the acceptable range for error in speed reading...do you have different tires on the car?

my 02 CL-S will go 149mph according to my garmin GPS and fuel cutoff per acura is 147. the speedo read 156mph.......those things are known to be inaccurate at higher speeds. I believe it was either car and driver or motor trend that asked acura why they governed it and the reply was that the car will go airborne at higher speeds. On the newer TLS it was to protect the auto trans fronm what I read.

the CLS does not cut in and out it just maintains that rpm and speed....

Last edited by YeuEmMaiMai; 08-04-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned

Those Porsche girl pics are insane. I'll definitely be taking it easy from now on.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So we discussed the top speed for the base 04-06 and the TL S. What is the top speed for the 07-08 base TL? When does the limit kick in?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

Originally Posted by Type One
So we discussed the top speed for the base 04-06 and the TL S. What is the top speed for the 07-08 base TL? When does the limit kick in?
Holy shit, agian with this

it's like 132, just like the type-s.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Je t'aime...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Acura TL top speed is 132? No way. The 1G TSX tops out at 142 MPH stock. How can a car with more HP have a top speed less than a car with less HP. Unless Acura limited it that badly...

Quick Reply: Top Speed on 08 TL Type S