Today is the Day I pick her up!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005 | 07:13 AM
Instructor

Talking Today is the Day I pick her up!!!!

Hello TL'ers.....
I will soon join the TL brotherhood, TODAY!!! I am leaving to pick my SS 05 AT w/ 18 chromes. I'm pretty pumped. I'm trading in my beautiful 02 BS G35 Coupe...sniff sniff, she will be missed. I loved her, and her torqy, sweet exhaust sounding ways!! But am looking forward to the great interior, and sweet sound system of the TL. I will post pictures of my new ride when I get back, and put on 3 coats of Zaino on her.....thanks for letting me read all the good info on this forum, before my purchase.

We will again be an all Honda family again. As the wife loves her MDX.
Old 04-16-2005 | 07:44 AM
Registered Member

Consider waiting 60-90 days before waxing a brand new paint job. This is not some old wive's tale. In fact, just two weeks ago, the owner of a very good body shop in my area told me this. They even give out instructions on how to treat newly painted work. And one of the things he told me was not to wax a new paint job because the wax keeps some of the chemicals (??) in the new paint from escaping naturally.

So give it a little time to "cure" before you wax her. Last year, I waxed mine after it was about 7 weeks old and maybe I should have waited a little longer.. it looks fine to me. Oh well, just a little info for what it's worth.
Old 04-16-2005 | 07:54 AM
Racer

I am having a clearbra put on my brand new TL next week just a couple days after I take the car home (want to avoid any and all rock chips). How can I coordinate this if I should not wax a new car for 60+ days?

I do know that when I have had body work done on previous cars, the body shops always say to wait at least 60 days before waxing. They say it takes that long for the paint to fully cure.
Old 04-16-2005 | 07:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Consider waiting 60-90 days before waxing a brand new paint job. This is not some old wive's tale. In fact, just two weeks ago, the owner of a very good body shop in my area told me this. They even give out instructions on how to treat newly painted work. And one of the things he told me was not to wax a new paint job because the wax keeps some of the chemicals (??) in the new paint from escaping naturally.

So give it a little time to "cure" before you wax her. Last year, I waxed mine after it was about 7 weeks old and maybe I should have waited a little longer.. it looks fine to me. Oh well, just a little info for what it's worth.
Question: How do you know how old the paint job really is? The car could have been sitting on the lot for 3 months. Is this 90 days from the time it's delivered to the dealership?
Old 04-16-2005 | 08:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by carguyrob
I am having a clearbra put on my brand new TL next week just a couple days after I take the car home (want to avoid any and all rock chips). How can I coordinate this if I should not wax a new car for 60+ days?

I do know that when I have had body work done on previous cars, the body shops always say to wait at least 60 days before waxing. They say it takes that long for the paint to fully cure.
YO. If you don't mind keep me posted on how you like your clearbra. I have talked to several folks including sales people that have said these things get cloudy over time and the bra line gets dirt in it that can't be removed. I am thinking I will just drive fast enough so the rocks will fly over my car.
Old 04-16-2005 | 08:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rickneuropa
Hello TL'ers.....
I will soon join the TL brotherhood, TODAY!!! I am leaving to pick my SS 05 AT w/ 18 chromes. I'm pretty pumped. I'm trading in my beautiful 02 BS G35 Coupe...sniff sniff, she will be missed. I loved her, and her torqy, sweet exhaust sounding ways!! But am looking forward to the great interior, and sweet sound system of the TL. I will post pictures of my new ride when I get back, and put on 3 coats of Zaino on her.....thanks for letting me read all the good info on this forum, before my purchase.

We will again be an all Honda family again. As the wife loves her MDX.

Sorry I forgot to say congrats. You will love the car. My wife loves her MDX as well.
Old 04-16-2005 | 08:22 AM
Registered Member

To Batman-JGII;

Look at the build plate.. it gives the month in which the car was built. I bought mine on July 17 last year and it was built in July, so at most, it was 17 days old.

As for the waxing thing, I had thought that was old hat with modern paints until I talked to the man I mentioned in my post. That's why I had waxed my car last labor day weekend just 7 weeks after having bought the car. But I think it's fine.

Also, he could be looking at it more from the standpoint of his work instead of a brand new car painted at the factory. Maybe I should look at the owner's manual to see if it says anything about this.
Old 04-16-2005 | 10:14 AM
Administrator

I never saw anything in the owner's manual about waxing a new car. I think you are right about the body shop man talking about waxing a car that had been repainted, rather than a factory paint job, which is already several weeks old, at least, when you get the car.

With the modern techniques and materials, I don't think there is anything wrong with waxing a new car as soon as you get it.

Now if it was a Viper, and maybe an NSX but I'm not sure how they deliver these, which the owner usually picks up at the factory shortly after it is finished, you might want to wait a little, but ours have been in transit and on the dealer's lot long enough for the paint to be ready for protection.
Old 04-16-2005 | 11:11 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Batman-JGII
YO. If you don't mind keep me posted on how you like your clearbra. I have talked to several folks including sales people that have said these things get cloudy over time and the bra line gets dirt in it that can't be removed. I am thinking I will just drive fast enough so the rocks will fly over my car.
Most Paint Protection Film (PPF, ClearBra) is warranted against yellowing, cracking and peeling. Visit sites that offer PPF like Rockblocker and X-Pel and view their warranties. Google Paint Protection Film for more info. Here's a description of the 3M film most installer and resellers use:

Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film SGPPF6 is noted for its proven overall excellent performance. This rugged, crystal clear, non-yellowing urethane film protects against stone chips, bug damage, abrasion and weathering. Nearly invisible, its specially formulated clearcoat and non-yellowing properties help to preserve the color brilliance and design lines of a vehicle’s painted surfaces. Proven to meet automotive OEM specifications, this durable film is flexible, conformable and long lasting. Scotchgard Paint Protection Film SGPPF6 from is available in roll sizes to meet your application needs.
Old 04-16-2005 | 11:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rickneuropa
I'm trading in my beautiful 02 BS G35 Coupe.
How did you get a 2002 G35, the first year was 2003. Curious, why are you trading, need a 4 door with more room?

Enjoy your new TL!
Old 04-16-2005 | 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Navi or non-navi?
Old 04-16-2005 | 06:32 PM
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by Gadgets
How did you get a 2002 G35, the first year was 2003. Curious, why are you trading, need a 4 door with more room?

Enjoy your new TL!
Your absolutly right.....I must have been way to excited or tired this morning, as mine was an 03, not 02. Well, the transaction is complete!!! I said goodbye to my G coupe, and said Hey BABY! to my new TL!!! My daughter loves the room in the back seat, and likes the fact, that she has her own door now. My G had the clear bra on it, and I loved it. I am going to get one for the TL before she's dinged up. The new paint jobs just don't hold up against chipping like the old one's used to. On my G, you can see dings in the paint on the front side where the CB wasn't...so I know it works great! And you can't tell it was on there from a few feet away. You have to really look, and people who I've pointed it out to, didn't even see it at first, so Highly recommended!

The argument on the paint needing to cure, can be discussed at length, but in talking to Sal from Zaino, a former car paint man, he told me, that today's paint jobs from the factory only need a few weeks to cure, as the chemicals in the paint today is water based, due to gov restrictions, so the curing isn't near as long, and it is safe to put Zaino on after a week or two.... How's that for a run on sentence?????

I'll post picts and a comparo between the G and TL later!!! Thanks gus for the well wishes!!!