3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL's and Bimmers, TL's and BMW's: Anyone regret not buying BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL's and Bimmers, TL's and BMW's: Anyone regret not buying BMW?

I love going to the various car forums. I think you learn a great deal from others. Obviously, I think very highly of the TL, hence I am on this forum as well.

It seems that whatever Forum I frequent, the talk inevitably turns to the Acura TL, BMW 325i, 330i, 525i, and 530i as to which car is best. The TL and BMW's seem to be very popular choices. You get answers based on performance, luxury, sport, looks, resale, reliability, size, speed, handling, comfort, prestige, and value. It is really interesting and makes a very informative debate.

My question to the folks on this great forum is: Does anyone wish they would have purchased any of the following BMW's, 325i, 330i, 525i, or 530i over the TL? If so, why? If not, why?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Riu
2004 TL

Originally Posted by WooBah
It seems that whatever Forum I frequent, the talk inevitably turns to the Acura TL, BMW 325i, 330i, 525i, and 530i as to which car is best. The TL and BMW's seem to be very popular choices. You get answers based on performance, luxury, sport, looks, resale, reliability, size, speed, handling, comfort, prestige, and value. It is really interesting and makes a very informative debate.

My question to the folks on this great forum is: Does anyone wish they would have purchased any of the following BMW's, 325i, 330i, 525i, or 530i over the TL? If so, why? If not, why?

I think the TL easily beats the 3 series bmw in all but prestige and slightly by handling. There are still those people would would rather own a BMW than a Honda.

The 525 and 530 have more power and handling but the interior of the TL makes the TL better in my book. I sat in the new 5 series. All you see is gauges a wheel and a shifter. Nothing special. Car looks empty.

TL is a all around great car for its price.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:35 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
The new 525 has 215 hp and 530 has 255hp. They don't have more power than the TL.

I believe TL is comparable w/ BMW 525/530 and cost less than a comparably equipped 330i.

Prestige, Handling -> 525/530
Value, Reliability, and little better acceleration -> TL
Old 02-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Drove a 330xi sedan when shopping. Car was nice but was it worth the MANY MANY extra $$$ over the TL - not IMHO. I posted about this in another thread as well. The ex-wifie had an X5 and it was nice but waaaay overpriced for what it was. If you think you have problem with attitude etc. at Acural dealers TRY and get decent service from BMW - at least in my area. I'm a pretty reasonable guy but those BMW folks could piss off the good humor man. While I'm never buyin' a GM car again I don't think I'll ever dole out the $$$ for a BMW either.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:56 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

so what GM car were you driving??
Old 02-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TL is greater in every aspect except handling and snob appeal. Not even the 06 330ci matches the TL's horsepower but the BMW will always shine in handling. The interior and exterior of the TL is top of the line.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Advanced

nope. while I might consider a 550 if I were inclined to spend that much money on a car, I would still probably choose something different as there are many fine cars in the $50K+ range and the so called prestige of owning a BMW is lost on me. I have been in the car business far too long to be impressed simply by nameplate alone.

most people that rave about BMW's, simply because its a BMW, reveal their true level of intelligence about automobiles. are they fine cars? yes, they are, but far better than anything else? haha, I think not.

the TL is one of the best cars in its price range and the reason I chose mine over many other fine cars was purely subjective...I think it is the best looking of the bunch. Beemers included...
Old 02-19-2006, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Everyone and their mom has a BMW.
2. TL has tons more gadgets.
3. Interior looks more sleek. BMW's look to plain to me.
4. Heard mixed reviews about problems with BMW's.

There are pros and cons to both brands. Too many to list but those were the reasons why i would never regret getting a BMW.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:57 PM
05 BMW 745i, 07 BMW 335i

I've switched from TL to BMW more than an year ago and the only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner. Big difference in ride confort and handling.
TL does not have more gadgets than 5 series (525/530/545). They are similary equipped. BMW 5 series is more expensive because of higher overall quality. I personall prefer BMW interior over TLs. Acura cut many corners to become so price competitive but it's still a very nice and fun to drive car.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Riu
2004 TL

Originally Posted by invincible569
1. Everyone and their mom has a BMW.

Where I live there are about the same number of TL's as BMW's. Everywhere you look its either a Benz, BMW, or a TL
Old 02-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
When I got my TL back in 2001. I looked at the Is300 and the 328i or 330i whatever it was then. I chose the TL over them because of all the std options over the bimmer and luxury over the IS. Year after I got TL I regret getting it and would have chose the bimmer. But after 5 years I have no regret. Where I go to college ever other car is pretty much a 323 or 325.

Even after lowering my car it still rides better than a 323.

Over all the TL is a winner for me. I would not compare the TL with a 3 its much more on the lines of a 525i
Old 02-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Regrets?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Racer

I know a few people that have BMWs and I have heard the worst horror stories from bmw owners...here are a few snippets...

1. My neighbor's boyfriend bought a new 530. Had so many problems with it in the first 2 months of owning it (electrical) wound up trading it in under the lemon law for an X5. Many many problems when new gen's are rolled out...

2. Similar issue on someone at work's 6 series. He had the car 1 week and the electrical went on the power windows and his navigation system.

and the worst.....

3. A friend of the family had a 2002 745Li. He was driving on the highway one night with his 6 year old son and suddenly the driver side of his car, inside, underneath the driver seat, spontaneously caught on fire. He pulled over on the shoulder, got his son out of the car and called the cops. He was so furious, he had the car towed to the dealership where he bought it and dropped it off right in front of the showroom still smoking. He went inside and demanded of them to cut him a check for 77,000. Needless to say. the showroom cleared out and just to keep him quiet, the manager wrote him a check right then and there.

Those are a few reasons why I haven't bought a BMW.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Riu
2004 TL

My brother bought a new 7 series in 04 and after three days of having it he had the heated seats on. The passanger seat smoked and when they got out of the car it cought fire. He put the fire out and called BMW. They came and took his car and quickly gave him a new one.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Do I regret not paying $20k more for less power, the famous BMW badge, and slightly better handling? Do I regret having more money to invest in mutual funds/retirement, and my mods?

Not at all. But the BMW roundel is important to some, BMW's cars do look good and handle well, so...well, you know. "It takes all types...."
Old 02-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Instructor

So his $77K Bimmer caught on fire on the freeway w/his kid in it...
Old 02-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
also a family friend had a 2002 745i and it shut off as he was driving. Next week he bought a new LS430 and SC430. For him and the wife( they both are doctors).
Old 02-19-2006, 03:02 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Hey, we're talking apples and very expensive oranges here. I really thought long and hard about what to buy, when to buy, and who am I buying this car for.
Am I buying a car to impress all those people who are less knowledgeable than me about cars and are impressed more by the letters BMW, or am I going to purchase a car with great reviews, great investment for my dollar, and a vehicle thats been nothing but fun to drive? It's a no brainer. Of course, and I am sure, that over on the BMW owners side there aren't a whole lot of people willing to honestly say the same.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Since we're talking about BMW malfunctions, my friend had a 325 for a year and the engine bit the dust. BMW rebuilt the engine, but he says it wasn't the same. He doesn't have the BMW andymore and now owns a c230.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Banned

TL fits a really nice price point...

Keeping in the low 30's 4 doors, v6 and a manual transmission- you really have no great choices other than the TL...

If you put the bigger engine in either a 3 or an A4 you are up to the 40's...
Old 02-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Strictly looking at it from a practical point, meaning financially, it was a no- brainer for me. Having owned a 530 I have been burned after the short warranty ran out and I got stuck with huge repair bills. I like the driving experience but dread the BMW upkeep and repair bills when you are on your own. This does ofcourse not apply to those with huge budgets or who trade in before the warranty runs out. For peace of mind and having the solid reliability record of the 3.2L I feel you can not go wrong with a TL, even if you give up some minor areas like steering and road holding feel-all subjective anyway.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I think you'll find that those who are pro-TL will tend to make their arguments from an objective point of view, while those in the pro-BMW camp will tend to make their case on somewhat more subjective reasonings.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Advanced

BMW makes a great product. Both the 3-series and 5-series are certainly wonderful cars to own.

I think it is only fair to compare the TL to the 3-series considering the price range that the 5-series sits in. The 5-series should be compaired to the RL.

For me personally, I choose the TL for three main reasons...

Value = I liked the fact that everything is included in the TL price. Once you configure your G35's and 330i with all of the same features, the TL really makes a very strong value proposition.

Interior = The interior of the TL (with nav) really hit my sweet spot. Despite being loaded with toys, it is all pieced together very nicely. I liked the two-tone interior (parchment) and the accents/trim that came with it.

Image = I like the "image" that the TL expresses. To me it says you appreciate well engineered and designed cars, but do not need to impress with a German badge that says..."hey I can afford nice things". The TL is a wonderful car, a fantastic value, and I think it doesn't force people to make assumptions about it's owner.

Down here in Florida, you see tons of BMW's...so many that I really don't see the prestige factor happening with the vehicle. When I see a 3-series BMW, I usually assume that 30 year old driver is a newly minted lawyer that's excited about his new toy and excited about the preceived "prestige" that comes with it.

In the end cars are just big depreciating assets. One should find that point along their personal value curve where they get the most bang and enjoyment for their buck. For me BMW continues to be just beyond the optimum point....and sitting at the apex of my value curve at the 33K price point is the TL.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned

I didn't go for the Bimmer simply during winter time the TL's FWD is superior in the snow, sure the AWD version of the Bimmer is there but its quite expensive for me. I didn't like the exterior styling of the bimmer IMHO they ruined it especially the rear. The TL has more bang for the buck IMO.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:40 PM
6th Gear

I have to agree with Colberto's post. I was torn between the 06 325i and the 06 TL.... and in the end am glad that I went with the TL.

You've gotta add reliability to the mix too... BMW's are notoriously unreliable cars. Plus, when they break, they're expensive as all hell to fix. The TL is a luxury honda, with a V-Tech engine that's been tried and true for years. Honda engines are known for performing well into the 200k mile mark... and I don't anticipate replacement parts (if needed) will be as expensive as the Bimmer's.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CL Platano
The TL is greater in every aspect except handling and snob appeal. Not even the 06 330ci matches the TL's horsepower but the BMW will always shine in handling. The interior and exterior of the TL is top of the line.
The 06 330CI is a coupe, and has the old engine, so how is it a fair comparison? The 06 330 Sedan has 255 and the TL has 258 hp. Sounds like the same exact amount of power to me.

And while the TL interior is incredible in terms of ergonomics, its not top of the line. Its nice, but in general the materials are slightly lacking compared to the Germans.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:56 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by Nuri000
I have to agree with Colberto's post. I was torn between the 06 325i and the 06 TL.... and in the end am glad that I went with the TL.

You've gotta add reliability to the mix too... BMW's are notoriously unreliable cars. Plus, when they break, they're expensive as all hell to fix. The TL is a luxury honda, with a V-Tech engine that's been tried and true for years. Honda engines are known for performing well into the 200k mile mark... and I don't anticipate replacement parts (if needed) will be as expensive as the Bimmer's.

It kills me when people praise Honda's engine building and tuning capabilities and then prove that they've never done much, if any, research on the engines. How can you say the J32 engine has been "tried and true for years" and that they are "known for performing well into the 200k mile.." if you don't even know what VTEC is?

V-Tech is a company that builds cordless phones and beginner computers.

VTEC is Honda's trademark variable valve timing. The acronym means "Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control"

and when you make an argument FOR Honda, please don't disgrace their engineering with petty spelling errors. Thanks!

Old 02-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Instructor

you can't possibly compare $50000 car to $30000 car.....so comparison between 5 series and TL is ridiculous....as far as 3 series is concerned, the new 330 ci has same HP as TL and actually performed better on 0-60sec in car and driver magazine....but i think TL is more driver friendly when it comes to gadgets but nobody i mean nobody can beat BMW when it comes to handling so i think both 330 and TL has both positives and negatives .......can't go wrong with both of them
Old 02-19-2006, 07:53 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by sjkforever
you can't possibly compare $50000 car to $30000 car.....so comparison between 5 series and TL is ridiculous....as far as 3 series is concerned, the new 330 ci has same HP as TL and actually performed better on 0-60sec in car and driver magazine....but i think TL is more driver friendly when it comes to gadgets but nobody i mean nobody can beat BMW when it comes to handling so i think both 330 and TL has both positives and negatives .......can't go wrong with both of them
No one can beat BMW in terms of handling? If that's a general statement, meaning no company and no cost could ever beat BMW, you are very mistaken. There are lots of cars that handle better. The TL with the HPT option actually posted numbers better, IIRC.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
No one can beat BMW in terms of handling? If that's a general statement, meaning no company and no cost could ever beat BMW, you are very mistaken. There are lots of cars that handle better. The TL with the HPT option actually posted numbers better, IIRC.
okay maybe i was exaggerating little bit and didnt explain myself clearly...of course if you get like a porsche or spend $100,000 you are gonna get a car with better handling (duh!!!)....i was comparing the stock BMW 3 series and TL
Old 02-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Advanced

Those of you that prefer the BMW over the TL had better put the water bong down! Tell me what meaningful category BMW excells over TL.............................WELL we are waiting........I'll tell you!!!!!!!! NONE/NOTTA/ZILCH!
The TL spanks the 3 series in every comparison. The 5 series is not in the same category....even though the TL will still smoke the 3 and 5 series.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the TL is comparable to the 5 series because of interior/exterior size. The 3 is a smaller car. Very happy with the TL. 28,000 miles and only have returned to the dealer for a new battey since I change my own oil, filters, etc. Had an Independent do a AT fluid change for $40 but get real if money was not an issue I would drive an M5 or 540 and have my personal assistant take it to the dealer when it broke down (would rent a ZO6 until it was ready)and sell it 90 days before the warranty ran out. BMW is about image and they build a great performance car... they are just a lot of or will be a lot of trouble at some point. Amazing how many cars they sell in spite of the reliability issues and cost. The TL has to add 50 ponies and some cc's to enter that league. How about a 4L V-8 and AWD to keep it on the road in '09. Could you stuff a V-12 in there?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:08 AM
iLL TL 4U2Try

[QUOTE= The 5 series is not in the same category....even though the TL will still smoke the 3 and 5 series.[/QUOTE]

brings memories....going to pick up my kid at the babysitter...about 2 miles stretch i'm at the red light and a jet black 5 series comes up next to me... pretty blond on the passenger side,but a snoby look just like her boyfriend driving it... lol it was on... matter of like 7 seconds we took off at the light. I really thought he had me because it looked like he got a better jump, but as we were nose to nose when i hit 3rd ( my favorite gear lol) that bitch really heard the intake growling so i got him till we came to the last light before this 2 lane rd merged up ahead to go over a lil bridge. This time though there is a car in front of him that was already at the light when we arrived and i was in the right lane in front. So when the light turned green I knew he thought I was going to floor it, so I looked like I did,and he came up behind me so I never let the back of the TL go past the front of the van that was next to me so in a way making a wall and not letting him pass lol when I least expect the bimmer went across the double lines against oncomming traffic just to cut me off and fell better about his 50K car that got smoked... and to keep his girl
Old 02-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Banned

I definitely considered BMW and Mercedes. I just decided that I did not want to spend 55k+ to get something worth the money and I did not want to deal with the electrical issues that are so ridiculously rampent in those model lines.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:20 AM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by Landonk
Those of you that prefer the BMW over the TL had better put the water bong down! Tell me what meaningful category BMW excells over TL.............................WELL we are waiting........I'll tell you!!!!!!!! NONE/NOTTA/ZILCH!
The TL spanks the 3 series in every comparison. The 5 series is not in the same category....even though the TL will still smoke the 3 and 5 series.
So... you couldn't afford the bimmer, huh?

JK.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:31 AM
10th Gear

Well I dont see the TL and the bimmers in the same category. Both the 3er and 5er are in a completely different price range/market.

The 5er's main competition is the E Class, GS and A6- all of which are relatively the same price and size. My preference between the four would be the A6.

The 3er's competition is the new IS and A4, in which I would say the IS a tad better (overall). The styling of the E90 throws me off (I prefer my E46 coupe).

The TL I see in the same group as the ES and G35. The ES is a bit more reliable and comfortable, the G is sportier, and the TL is a good blend of sport/comfort/reliability being the overall winner.

So comparing a new TL with a new 3 really is pointless/apples to oranges.

*(Comparisons using a 330i, IS350, A4 3.2, ES330, and G35 Sedan)
Old 02-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ndx2
So... you couldn't afford the bimmer, huh?

JK.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

I bearing was able to afford to buy my TL new let along consider a new 3-series. But I do somtimes think of the money I spent I could have gotten a nice used 3 series coupe (last generation design). I would never touch the new 3-series (Bangle design), It's too ugly in my book to even consider a second opinion. So No I do not regret getting a NEW BMW but I do regret maybe of getting an older 3-series coupe tho.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:52 AM
5th Gear

I have a 2001 BMW 330xi that I am in the process of trading in for a new TL 6MT that should arrive this week. The BMW is a great car and drives wonderfully. But, I have had more problems with it than any car I've ever owned (well, except for a 1965 MGB I had in college...). When we took the TL for a test drive, my wife's first comment was "Wow, this is a lot nicer than your BMW!". I decided to switch because I was tired of the problems and wanted something sporty and reliable. So, I am waiting for the phone call for my new TL any day now.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:17 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Arrow

Originally Posted by jlahm
I have a 2001 BMW 330xi that I am in the process of trading in for a new TL 6MT that should arrive this week. The BMW is a great car and drives wonderfully. But, I have had more problems with it than any car I've ever owned (well, except for a 1965 MGB I had in college...). When we took the TL for a test drive, my wife's first comment was "Wow, this is a lot nicer than your BMW!". I decided to switch because I was tired of the problems and wanted something sporty and reliable. So, I am waiting for the phone call for my new TL any day now.
Yup! Same boat w/ ya! I had an Audi and was just sick and tired paying through the nose for maintenance / repair.

Germany makes some great driver's cars. They are wonderful as long as they are not in the shop.

Quick Reply: TL's and Bimmers, TL's and BMW's: Anyone regret not buying BMW?