Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL in winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL in winter

I know this is a little early in the season but how is the TL in the snow? I'm coming from a 99 Integra and it was very "light" in the snow. Does the TL slide around alot. My parents have a 99 TL and it's pretty good in the snow, just wondered if my 05 would be the same or better. Also, I have NBP and I'm trying to keep the fine scratches to a minimum, as would anyone else. Any recommendations on what I can use besides a snow brush to remove the snow off my car. The only reason I'm bringing this up now is because I heard a few days ago that we're expected to have a pretty bad winter here in New Jersey. Any info and suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Bring It

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a NBP too. Last year my car took a beating because i lived in an apartment complex. Now I have a garage, so i can take better care of my car. I'm so anal on my NBP to keep it clean; I took it to the wash twice a week. I recommend using those touch-free washes. I'd wax ur car before it gets cold out too. What I did last year to remove large amounts of snow, is by using a towel.

The TL is good in the snow. The VSA works nicely. The main factors are the road conditions, tires, and most important the driver. Just be careful. Hope this info helps.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:33 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

First snow is in forecast in Calgary tonight. I am excited for morning drive to school while other cars sliding all over. I have faith in Michelin MXM4 came with navi.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:48 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Get yourself a good set of dedicated winter tires on rims for December to March ( I have Bridgestone Blizzaks). I have a set of TL-P rims that came with my car- they got some scratches on em, but they're perfect for crappy winter driving. The handling in snow with the Blizzaks can't be beat. Just remember they are Q rated tires, so no speeds over 99 mph. I got them from the TireRack.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

What are the best winter tires(assuming moneys no option, as they will most likely last the life of the car)?
Old 10-02-2005, 09:33 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
You have to remember that the winter tires are generally good for 3-4 seasons of driving (3-4 winters). You want to put them on later (generally for NJ, late December), and take them off early (maybe early to mid March). The rubber tends to be a little softer and therefore wears more quickly. I like the Blizzaks, but Michelin makes an Arctic Alpin, which is also supposed to be good. Check the Tire Rack and check the ratings to see what tire is best for you. For light snow, all weather tires, should be OK, but nothing beats snow tires when the snow is 6" or more.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:47 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by Actuary
I have faith in Michelin MXM4 came with navi.

Let us know how that works out... IMO, you'll need to be extra careful in the snow with the stock all seasons.

I'm gonna see if I can last this winter w/ my EL42's, but I'm gonna start looking for a winter set... and I'm getting 'em as soon as the EL42's give me a scare.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
I dont think I will ever see any snow

but thats not so bad....
Old 10-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Team SSM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Actuary
First snow is in forecast in Calgary tonight. I am excited for morning drive to school while other cars sliding all over. I have faith in Michelin MXM4 came with navi.

Wow, its gonna snow tonight in Calgary???? I have some relatives that live in Calgary. I miss Calgary. Last time i came visit was in '99.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, in Newton we always get at least one storm, and on my road all the snow gets packed down to about a 1 inch thick thing that is pretty much ice. What is best for that. I live on a dead end hill too.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The tl is not that great in the snow. Lower profile performance tires while being all season, are not that great. I live in an area where the road was hilly and the michelin mxm4 were marginal on my 2g and did not inspire any confidence. I switched to a set of 16 rims with 60 series blizzaks. The difference was night and day, but as I mentioned in the past when you are driving on clean winter roads you cannot drive like you had summer tires on ... They make 45 series snows now, but with NE winters and pot holes etc you might be better off with a different profile tire. You can read up on this at tirerack.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I drive my TL in the great Canadian winter. It's only had one winter so far, but honestly, it's did just fine. I put good winter tires on another set of stock 17" rims. The tires I put on are less wide than the OEM summer tires they give you which gives you better handling in the snow. I never got even remotely stuck. If you do get on some slippery spots, you can start driving in 2nd gear with less startup torque and get out no problem. All in all, it's a fine winter car. Nice heated seats, warms up super fast,etc...
Old 10-03-2005, 10:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
I drove in one mild Maryland winter and my 6MT TL did OK with the EL42's, I drive slow in ice/snow conditions and had no problems.

The deepest snow I drove in was 3-4", I suppose ground clearance will be a issue for a low car like the TL.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Racer

i'm a newbie when it comes to snow tires, never bought them before or knew anybody who used them. anyways, they make blizzaks for our stock wheels? or should we put on different wheels all together. also are the snow tires suppose to be kept on the whole time between december to march?? or just when it snows? would it look nice with the car? if i do get snow tires i plan on just gettin it for the front.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:35 AM
信是寶

Originally Posted by bulacura
i'm a newbie when it comes to snow tires, never bought them before or knew anybody who used them. anyways, they make blizzaks for our stock wheels? or should we put on different wheels all together. also are the snow tires suppose to be kept on the whole time between december to march?? or just when it snows? would it look nice with the car? if i do get snow tires i plan on just gettin it for the front.
Snow tires for ALL wheels!!!

As for the snow, I have Dunlop M3s on the stock 17" for the winter and the TL handles great!

As for the snow, wax her or put a good paint sealant on (I use Wolfgang's) ...helps the snow slide off easier, this should be done before the winter anyway.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bulacura
In NC, I can stay with All Seasons (Pirelli P-Zero Nero's). However, if I were to go with snows, I believe it is highly recommended going with all 4 tires. As others have mentioned, a taller and narrower tire is better for snow performance hence a second set of rims might be the way to go. Lastly, I would assume that most people who opt for separate snows keep them on for the season. Swapping them on and off as needed would be a royal PITA. my $.02
Old 10-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

I'm dealing with Chicago winters, and they suck with the best of them. I have to say, even with the crap EL 42s, I still never had one problem even in slushy unplowed hell. I can't wait to see how my Toyo Proxes 4 do now that I made the upgrade

Find a touchless wash and use it every week to remain happy and salt scratch free...
Old 10-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Well, in Newton we always get at least one storm, and on my road all the snow gets packed down to about a 1 inch thick thing that is pretty much ice. What is best for that. I live on a dead end hill too.

Where the hell have you been I have lived in dedham and andover and last year we got about 7-8 feet of snow. That was a hell of a lot more than one storm!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Instructor

I was thinking about using the stock 17" until spring then buying the 18" for the summer. I'll have to find a touchless car wash around my area (Clifton, NJ) before the winter I guess. Right now I use everything microfiber to wash my car. Very afraid of getting micro scratches on my car. So far so good. The only scratches so far is about a 5" scratch from the end of my tail light into my paint, think some assface decided to get jealous. And I had a few light scratches from when the dealer washed my car after it was serviced. Next time I know not to let them wash my baby when i bring it in for service.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:50 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by trancemission
I dont think I will ever see any snow
Lucky you.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by crazymjb
The best thing is a Jeep.

I worked in Watertown for two years (left about 2 years ago).. Not a fun commute going from NH down 95/128/Mass Pike into that area. What a freaking mess when the weather is bad!

And one storm a week in Jan/Feb is more like it

When I go down to Mass this winter I will leave the TL in the garage on snow days. She needs to keep her looks up, you know!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:32 AM
3rd Gear

I live 200 yards from a chairlift in Park City, Utah. I drove last winter on the stock tires and got through it. My only regret is that my wife slid into a snow bank once because she hit some ice on our street. If you live in a generally flat area, the stock tires, though I don't like them, will do just fine. Here we have roads up to %15 grade and the best I could get the TL to go up was about a %10 grade on the stock tires. I would also like to mention that the VSA is not the best in the snow if you are stuck or need to get up a hill. Turn the VSA off so that the car will not sag and drift on startups and use good old fashioned winter driving skills. Having said this, I will be throwing on a good set of winter tires this year. People always think that winter tires are for getting you moving . . . I have found that turning and stopping the car is the major reason to get winter tires. By the way, it's snowing here right now.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Racer

You don't NEED winter tires (IMHO) I live in PA and drive on a lot of winding country roads. Truth be told, the VSA and front wheel drive combination combined with the weight load of this car are all fine for our winters. Winter tires are an unnecessary expense. If you're careful you'll be fine with good all-season radials. You're probably already spending enough on performance tires every 20-30k miles on this car (probably even less for the stock bridgestones) so save your money!
Old 11-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

Just solved my winter issue:

Old 11-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by SuperSteel

Hey!! That looks just like my Jeep! ... except the paints not Patriot Blue and you're missing a hell of a lot of scratches! Mine is a 99 Limited w/ 4.7. I'm not planning on taking the TL out on nasty snow days this winter.. The WJ still has that job (and Home Depot trips)
Old 11-06-2005, 07:42 AM
Racer

Living in Minnesota means I know a little something about snow (mainly stay home during the 1st big storm).

The only problem I had with my TL was when some snow/ice got caked inside the tire rim. At around 40-50 mph, the car vibrated like a paint shaker until I pulled over and cleaned out the wheels.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
Hey!! That looks just like my Jeep! ... except the paints not Patriot Blue and you're missing a hell of a lot of scratches! Mine is a 99 Limited w/ 4.7. I'm not planning on taking the TL out on nasty snow days this winter.. The WJ still has that job (and Home Depot trips)
I wanted patriot blue! I saw one but the guy wouldnt go lower than 11.5 for a 1999 with 75k on the clock.

I paid 9k for this one, same mileage, same year, in better shape, and this one had auto climate.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by Papaman677
I know this is a little early in the season but how is the TL in the snow? I'm coming from a 99 Integra and it was very "light" in the snow. Does the TL slide around alot. My parents have a 99 TL and it's pretty good in the snow, just wondered if my 05 would be the same or better. Also, I have NBP and I'm trying to keep the fine scratches to a minimum, as would anyone else. Any recommendations on what I can use besides a snow brush to remove the snow off my car. The only reason I'm bringing this up now is because I heard a few days ago that we're expected to have a pretty bad winter here in New Jersey. Any info and suggestions would be appreciated.
i just moved from NJ to Dallas, so i will no longer HAVE to see snow unless i go home to visit mom and dad... thanks trance lolz...

when snow would cover my car, i would use only the snow brush to get the snow off my windshields and glass... and then i would use my arm to push off the snow off the paint.. those brushes are brutal on the paint and scratch the clear coat like mad... then with your touchless car wash after the snow and salt has receded...

before winter, i would always winterize the exterior of my car with multiple layers of wax... it would take me all day, but the 8 coats of wax would help from the salt...
Old 11-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Car Addict

My 6MT did not like any kind of real grade, otherwise it was fine. I would turn off VSA and have to finesse it once in a while but only got stuck once, and it was an unplowed side street.

I plan to get some snow tires for the stock rims since I have a set of Aspecs for the summer now. I'll be sure to post my experience with snow tires.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:16 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I've been getting freezing temperatures lately. MXM4 is holding better than noname generic tire I had on last car. Rubber is still soft at freezing temperature. I barely had ABS kicking in even with little moisture on the road. I even tried to set the car off course intentionally but tire didn't wanna lose traction therefore no VSA kicking in.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:44 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperSteel

wow, that is much more expensive than snow tires...

but nice Jeep~
Old 11-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by fishacura
You don't NEED winter tires (IMHO) I live in PA and drive on a lot of winding country roads. Truth be told, the VSA and front wheel drive combination combined with the weight load of this car are all fine for our winters. Winter tires are an unnecessary expense. If you're careful you'll be fine with good all-season radials. You're probably already spending enough on performance tires every 20-30k miles on this car (probably even less for the stock bridgestones) so save your money!

Agreed.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mio
wow, that is much more expensive than snow tires...

but nice Jeep~
Oh yeah it was, but I have more uses for it than just winter. (Though it will mostly be driven in bad weather.)

Dogs, cargo, groceries (costco kills you for space), skiing, etc.

Now I dont have to use the v6 GC my better half drives.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Remember the poster said good all season radials. The ELs are anything but good! All season rubber does not do anything very well. Those of you who have owned a good set of summer rubber and winter shoes know what I am talking about. They are fine for every day driving.

The cost of another set of tires is a small price to pay if you have more confidence on the road and can get home in the snow. Or, avoid damage caused by a skid...