Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL vs Maxima, not G35

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:10 AM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL vs Maxima, not G35

I find it strange that people often compare the TL vs. the G35. The closest thing in Nissan's line-up is the Maxima. Take a fully optioned out 3.5 SL, navi included, and you've got a head to head competition with the TL 5AT Navi.

Both have front wheel drive, similar engine power, similar performance, similar interrior features. And even the price is similar even though a fully optioned Maxima 3.5 SL is a tad more expensive (in Canada it is).

So although we often like to compare our TLs with the G35, it's really the Maxima that it should be compared to because of all the similarities.

Just an observation.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeuser
I find it strange that people often compare the TL vs. the G35. The closest thing in Nissan's line-up is the Maxima. Take a fully optioned out 3.5 SL, navi included, and you've got a head to head competition with the TL 5AT Navi.

Both have front wheel drive, similar engine power, similar performance, similar interrior features. And even the price is similar even though a fully optioned Maxima 3.5 SL is a tad more expensive (in Canada it is).

So although we often like to compare our TLs with the G35, it's really the Maxima that it should be compared to because of all the similarities.

Just an observation.
Not really. Acura and Infiniti are luxury brands. Nissan and Honda are not. You compare a Maxima to a Accord or should I say a Altima now.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Pro

the maxima is a really nice car but it's still a nissan and you can't compare nissan to acura.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Cruisin'

Even car mags comapre the TL to the G35.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:40 AM
TL hacker

I agree about the brand name thing but if you closely look at the specs of a fully optioned out '04 Maxima 3.5 SL and a '04 TL 5AT Navi, you'll see how the specs are nearly the same. Forget about the brand name for a second and compare vehicle specs only. Very similar.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Banned

I agree about the brand name thing but if you closely look at the specs of a fully optioned out '04 Maxima 3.5 SL and a '04 TL 5AT Navi, you'll see how the specs are nearly the same. Forget about the brand name for a second and compare vehicle specs only. Very similar.
The Maxima is really not in the same class as the TL. It is a FULL Side Sedan, the Altima is the MID-SIZE. The Altima is the one to compare. It comes with everything the TL does with each having a few extras.

If you compare the specs. Those are the ones close to each other. And the power output of the Altima is the same as the Maxima dyno proven.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Pro

wow...and now were going down to the ALTIMA..LOL.....this is going to be a very long and interesting thread.....
Old 04-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Maxima is a great car, I actually was about to buy a 6sp 2003 till I found out it was a salvage title. Then I found out about the Xenon headlights being stolen at a absurd rate and damage caused by the crime . Once, I saw they had the same problem with the 2004 I totally lost interest. Styling inside and out on the 2004 Maxima is a big disappointment. You have got to wonder what they are thinking to offer the goofy roof window. Magazines are rarely objective because they are primarily advertising media.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
the Maxima? :lol2: you gotta be kidding me
Old 04-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Smiling Papa Team NBP

Originally Posted by rynpamn21
wow...and now were going down to the ALTIMA..LOL.....this is going to be a very long and interesting thread.....
Laugh. TL to the Altima? Why not just compare it to that new Kia? They all have engines and wheels, right?
Old 04-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Compare the interior of the Maxima (OR the G) to the TL. Case closed......no comparison. I was dead set on a "G" until I saw the interior of the TL. Don't get me wrong......the "G" is still one fine machine (and the Max is built on the same paltform)......but, IMHO the interior of the TL is simply beyond them both.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Dkrudop
Compare the interior of the Maxima (OR the G) to the TL. Case closed......no comparison. I was dead set on a "G" until I saw the interior of the TL. Don't get me wrong......the "G" is still one fine machine (and the Max is built on the same paltform)......but, IMHO the interior of the TL is simply beyond them both.

yup the interior sold me over as well... and glad I switched, G35 owners are complaing about the cheap interior feel
Old 04-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Wocoomrd

OMG DO NOT COMPARE THE NISSAN MAXIMA TO THE TL. EVER. NO NO NO.

I just sold my 2003 Maxima a few days ago and i've had it up to the moon with nissan cars. The 04 TL and the 04 Maxima are in different leagues now. 03 tl vs 03 max is an even match up; but for the 2004 model year, the TL is superior to the maxima in every smell, shape, style, and catagory.

When the 04 Maxima first came out, people were paying MSRP. Paying MSRP for a nissan is NOT worth it. I would rather pay msrp for an acura then nissan.

Another thing that most people over look is that even though Nissan makes GREAT VQ engines (VQ30; VQ35); those engines aren't exactly the cleanest and efficient. For example, Honda engines, isn't the TL a LEV vehicle? Or was it ULEV? Dunno someone correct me. But I know for a fact that my VQ35 was not even close to lev. Had to change my catalyic converter twice within 35k miles.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:40 PM
TL hacker

The '04 TL emissions is rated ULEV-II (Level 2) which essentially means it's cleaner than the air in Toronto!!!!

Wow... didn't know how much of a blasphemy it was to compare our beloved TLs to the Maxima!

The reason I stated the Maxima is because it's a similar price (In Canada), has FWD like the TL, has similar creature comforts as the TL, and the engines are of similar size and power.

Up here in the great white north, RWD is still a no-no in winter. FWD is a better choice, for the time being. So I was really shopping for FWD cars. That's when I noticed how similar the '04 Maxima and '04 TL are in terms of specs and pricing. But when you factor in quality, the '04 TL wins hands down which explains why I'm driving one now.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Racer

Check again, the Maxima and G35 are built on entirely different platforms. The G35 is a variant of the RWD Nissan Skyline, formerly sold exclusively to the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM).
Old 04-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Banned

The Maxima is not on the same platform. The Altima, and Maxima are on the same platform. The G35 and 350z are the same platform.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:34 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Why do people always bring up which "platform" the car is built on?? All shoes have a sole.. You dont hear me going around saying my shoes are built on a Johnson & Murphy platform..
Old 04-06-2004, 02:54 PM
Banned

who drives automatics nowaydays..?
6sp= :facelick:
Old 04-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
2005 Altima SE-R :diablotin
Old 04-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Coupe?

Originally Posted by TL_6SPD
The Maxima is not on the same platform. The Altima, and Maxima are on the same platform. The G35 and 350z are the same platform.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Is the G35S the coupe or sedan?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Thomwarn
Is the G35S the coupe or sedan?
G35S = sedan, G35C = coupe.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Isn't the G35 really a luxury verion of the Altima and the I35 really a luxury version of the Maxima?

I think the TL falls in between as far as size.

The G35 is the true comparison though, me thinks. Had one park next to me today in the corner of the lot I guess he appreciated my TL and thought his G would be safe next to it.

BTW - Parked next to a anthracite-type color M5 at the golf course the other day. My TL is anthracite as well. That M5 certainly didn't look like it was worth double the price. In fact, I think the TL looked better (even if he does have 400hp and RWD)
Old 04-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Instructor

I just traded in my Maxima to get a TL. The new gen maxima's are ugly, and the interior is horrid.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
Isn't the G35 really a luxury verion of the Altima and the I35 really a luxury version of the Maxima?
An I35, a Maxima and a V6 Altima are siblings in the sense that they are all based on the same FWD platform and powertrain. A G35, though it employs a variation of the same basic powerplant, is a RWD vehicle, built on an entirely different platform, that of the Nissan Skyline.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Banned

The I35 is the version of the 5th gen Maxima. It no longer exists now. The new Maxima, Quest, Murano and Altima share the same platform. It's not shared with anything in the Infiniti line at this moment.

The 350z and G35 Coupe and Sedan are all on the same platform. Those cars are all compared to each other.

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1

I think the TL falls in between as far as size.

The G35 is the true comparison though, me thinks. Had one park next to me today in the corner of the lot I guess he appreciated my TL and thought his G would be safe next to it.

BTW - Parked next to a anthracite-type color M5 at the golf course the other day. My TL is anthracite as well. That M5 certainly didn't look like it was worth double the price. In fact, I think the TL looked better (even if he does have 400hp and RWD)
Old 04-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UminChu
An I35, a Maxima and a V6 Altima are siblings in the sense that they are all based on the same FWD platform and powertrain. A G35, though it employs a variation of the same basic powerplant, is a RWD vehicle, built on an entirely different platform, that of the Nissan Skyline.
Nope. The I35 is the old platform with the beam in the back everyone hated. The Altima and Maxima way different. The Altima has never been part of the Maxima platform till the new Altima came out, the 04+ Maxima is on a stretched Altima platform.

I also forgot to mention the FX35,45 shares the G35 platform, reason why it handles so damn well.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Racer

Nope. The I35 is the old platform with the beam in the back everyone hated. The Altima and Maxima way different. The Altima has never been part of the Maxima platform till the new Altima came out, the 04+ Maxima is on a stretched Altima platform.

I also forgot to mention the FX35,45 shares the G35 platform, reason why it handles so damn well.
I just looked it up and you're right about the I35. Simultaneous apologies and thanks for correcting me on that. I'm aware of the newer Altima/Maxima relationship, I screwed up grouping the I35 in with it.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Instructor

The best infiniti to compare with the TL is the I35... If you consider size, FWD, engine, power, price, features. The only reasons why the TL is compared to the G35 is because it handles and performs particularly well for a FWD car, and it's brand new. The I35 is an old model now. But you never see the G35 being compared to the Lexus ES.. etc. In fact, the TL often finds itself being compared to an entire group of RWD cars, and I think that in itself pays tribute to the excellent suspension and handling dynamics of the TL.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Oops, my bad....you're right! Must be time for my new meds.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tecworld
The best infiniti to compare with the TL is the I35... If you consider size, FWD, engine, power, price, features. The only reasons why the TL is compared to the G35 is because it handles and performs particularly well for a FWD car, and it's brand new. The I35 is an old model now. But you never see the G35 being compared to the Lexus ES.. etc. In fact, the TL often finds itself being compared to an entire group of RWD cars, and I think that in itself pays tribute to the excellent suspension and handling dynamics of the TL.
Absolutely right, I think.

Also, TL is sometimes dredged up in comparison to the Lexus ES, suggesting too its excellent road manners ... As all the reviews say, TL does lots of things well--meant as compliment and critique by the reviewers, I think.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:19 PM
My name is RL.

Lightbulb Invertebrates need not apply...

Originally Posted by ComptechType-S
Why do people always bring up which "platform" the car is built on?? All shoes have a sole.. You dont hear me going around saying my shoes are built on a Johnson & Murphy platform..
Actually it's Johnston & Murphy and just like shoes, not all platforms are built the same or for the same reasons. Some platforms are designed for comfort and noise (or lack there of) others for speed and rigidity. It is the backbone of the car and it is VERY important.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Wocoomrd

Actually they still make the I35 for the 2004 model year...
Old 04-06-2004, 08:36 PM

I35 is off the old Maxima platform. Part of Nissan's plan to become profitable was tremendous sharing of parts. Thus
04 Maxima based off Altima (which the Murano is based off)The 04 Maxima is built in Tennesse and no longer Japan.
The G35/M35/45/FX are built off the 350Z platform. All share the same engines.

Whereas the older Maxima drove smaller and like a sport sedan, the new one LOOKS sporty but drives like a boat. Magazines found this out early, so I doubt the Maxima will be included in any comparisons (since it drives like an Avalon).

The TL through FWD is sporty to drive. The TL is a good size smaller than the Maxima as well.
Sad what Nissan did to the Maxima. It used to be the 4DSC (4 door sports car). But they now have the G35 which has won rave reviews and the Altima which is selling strong (and a new Altima SE-R coming).
Old 04-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Just an observation.
But it's so damn ugly. But the G-35 is not ugly, with the exception of the back end.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Same thing

The Maxima is really not in the same class as the TL. It is a FULL Side Sedan, the Altima is the MID-SIZE. The Altima is the one to compare. It comes with everything the TL does with each having a few extras. If you compare the specs. Those are the ones close to each other. And the power output of the Altima is the same as the Maxima dyno proven.
The Altima and the Maxima are the SAME size. The Maxima is built on the Altima platform. In a couple interior dimensions, the Altima is actually larger. In a few exterior dimensions, the Max might have an inch or so advantage but basically- they're the same car. They even offer the same engine in the V6 although you can get a 4 in the Altima but not the Max.

The Altima is lighter and faster and, IMHO, better looking on the outside.

You can argue that the TL, as the 2nd best Honda sedan should be compared with the M45 Infiniti and the GS400 as the 2nd tier offerings for both Nissan and Toyota. But <blush>, it just doesn't compare well with those two.

Just looking at the specs, though. You would want to compare the TL with a V6 Altima and a ES300. They seem more reasonable peers on paper.

OK, flamers. Bring it on!
Old 04-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

The only two cars I was considering buying were the Maxima and the TL. Despite what everyone here thinks I am with the thread starter Zeuster about these being the cars to compare. Maybe because my criteria was not handling and the like, but rather size and comfort? Anyway, I really love the VQ35 engine by Nissan. To me it is a smoother, more freely reving engine. It's a real pleasure to drive and deservig of its many selections as a Ward's Top Ten Engines winner. What killed any plans i considered of getting a Maxima is strictly the interior of the new Maxima. It is HORRID. What were they thinking? Exterior styling I don't care for as much as the TL, but I do like it. Also, can beat the TL warranty over the Nissan one. In short, the TL is the better car due to the many small shortcomings of which the Maxima has relative to it. If the Maxima had a "luxury" warranty, better interior materials and design, and slightly crisper handling, like the TL, the TL would have some serious competition and then maybe you would realize these cars are very similar.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Wocoomrd

Even though I am not a fan of Maxima's anymore, I have to admit, I have seen the 2004 Maxima getting mid 14 in quarter mile times.

By the way, how can you compare an es300 (do you mean es330) to the TL? By price range yes, lol but not by performance. TL would rape an es330 with its parking brakes on.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:57 PM
My name is RL.

Vive le Nissan..I mean Renault

Originally Posted by TheNip73
The only two cars I was considering buying were the Maxima and the TL. Despite what everyone here thinks I am with the thread starter Zeuster about these being the cars to compare. Maybe because my criteria was not handling and the like, but rather size and comfort? Anyway, I really love the VQ35 engine by Nissan. To me it is a smoother, more freely reving engine. It's a real pleasure to drive and deservig of its many selections as a Ward's Top Ten Engines winner. What killed any plans i considered of getting a Maxima is strictly the interior of the new Maxima. It is HORRID. What were they thinking? Exterior styling I don't care for as much as the TL, but I do like it. Also, can beat the TL warranty over the Nissan one. In short, the TL is the better car due to the many small shortcomings of which the Maxima has relative to it. If the Maxima had a "luxury" warranty, better interior materials and design, and slightly crisper handling, like the TL, the TL would have some serious competition and then maybe you would realize these cars are very similar.
some good points but...Consider the Maxima against the TL knowing that; it is a SIXTH generation vehicle and is still plagued with issues, the cross-breeding with the Altima (now CPAs and ricers have something in common) and the fact that Nissan got themselves into so much trouble financially that the french had to bail them out... :lol2:
Old 04-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Originally Posted by GO_TL
some good points but...Consider the Maxima against the TL knowing that; it is a SIXTH generation vehicle and is still plagued with issues, the cross-breeding with the Altima (now CPAs and ricers have something in common) and the fact that Nissan got themselves into so much trouble financially that the french had to bail them out... :lol2:
Nissan is smokin hot right now. Also, where do you get their cars are plagued with issues? I know they aren't Honda or Toyota, but to be honest, I was more pleased with my 98 Maxima build quality that my 04 TL build quality. Nissan is catching up, and while they haven't done it yet, they are gaining ground. French owned or not, business is about making money, and thats what Nissan is doing. Also, maybe I should downtalk the TL as sharing platforms with the Accord. Does that seem fair? Also, the Maxima is a sixth generation name. While the TL is a third generation name, it is likely a derivative of a previous model renamed and relaunched as part of a marketing or corporate restructing process. Would you say a chevy impala today is an xxx generation of the impalas of ages ago? I really don't understand your post.

Quick Reply: TL vs Maxima, not G35