Sponsored by:

TL vs Maxima, not G35

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 10:35 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheNip73
Nissan is smokin hot right now. Also, where do you get their cars are plagued with issues? I know they aren't Honda or Toyota, but to be honest, I was more pleased with my 98 Maxima build quality that my 04 TL build quality. Nissan is catching up, and while they haven't done it yet, they are gaining ground. French owned or not, business is about making money, and thats what Nissan is doing. Also, maybe I should downtalk the TL as sharing platforms with the Accord. Does that seem fair? Also, the Maxima is a sixth generation name. While the TL is a third generation name, it is likely a derivative of a previous model renamed and relaunched as part of a marketing or corporate restructing process. Would you say a chevy impala today is an xxx generation of the impalas of ages ago? I really don't understand your post.
Its a common misconception that Nissan was inferior to Honda and Toyota in terms of reliability. They were all pretty much the same. The Nissan Maxima (1995-1999) was also more trouble free than either v6 versions of the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. I'm sure the Accord was more reliable than some of Nissan's other offerings like the Altima. My point is that both manufacturer's had reliable cars that were waay higher than the other manufacturers. BTW, I've had a 2 Toyotas, 1 Honda, and a Nissan and all were very reliable vehicles.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:55 PM
My name is RL.

Re-Nissan vs. Mighty Acura

Nissan is smokin hot right now.
Smoking hot? I don't think so. Maybe if you factor in the Infiniti line you could make the case for smoldering but not smoking.

Also, where do you get their cars are plagued with issues?
From the many G35 owners that hangout / post in this forum. :lol2:

I was more pleased with my 98 Maxima build quality that my 04 TL build quality.
Sounds like you should have bought amother Maxima but you didn't. I wonder why? 1998 was the last production year before the French bought a large chunk of Nissan, right?

Nissan is catching up, and while they haven't done it yet, they are gaining ground.
Agreed. The G35 is a fine vehicle. The Nissan Titan is a very impressive truck that should give the Ford F-150 a run for its money.

Also, maybe I should downtalk the TL as sharing platforms with the Accord.
And you would be well within your rights too...for any year before 2004. Read the specs for the 2004 Accord and the 2004 TL. The TL now has its own identity. It is no longer a derivitive of the Accord.

While the TL is a third generation name, it is likely a derivative of a previous model renamed and relaunched as part of a marketing or corporate restructing process.
Nope. You must be talking about the Sentra-Stanza or something like that. The Stanza was nothing more than a higher-end version of the Sentra. I think restructuring is what happens when you run out of dough and a french company buys you out.

Would you say a chevy impala today is an xxx generation of the impalas of ages ago?
The Impala was reintroduced in 1994. Totally different than making the vehicle consecutively from 1981-2004. So maybe YOU would say that but not me.

I really don't understand your post.
Maybe it's not for you to understand.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:00 PM
My name is RL.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its a common misconception that Nissan was inferior to Honda and Toyota in terms of reliability. They were all pretty much the same. The Nissan Maxima (1995-1999) was also more trouble free than either v6 versions of the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. I'm sure the Accord was more reliable than some of Nissan's other offerings like the Altima. My point is that both manufacturer's had reliable cars that were waay higher than the other manufacturers. BTW, I've had a 2 Toyotas, 1 Honda, and a Nissan and all were very reliable vehicles.
1994-1995 Accords had some bad transmission problems. I've seen people beat the crap out of Sentras and they just keep on going. Plus, you can fix anything on one of those older Sentras with only a pair of pliers and a butter knife. All three brands are known for being highly reliable.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:38 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Originally Posted by GO_TL
And you would be well within your rights too...for any year before 2004. Read the specs for the 2004 Accord and the 2004 TL. The TL now has its own identity. It is no longer a derivitive of the Accord.
From almost every TL article on the 2004 TL : The 2004 Acura TL is also based on the American-built front-wheel-drive Accord platform, but it's the new Accord platform which was redesigned last year. This is roughly the same concept Nissan is using.

The Impala was reintroduced in 1994. Totally different than making the vehicle consecutively from 1981-2004. So maybe YOU would say that but not me.
Agreed, I didn't get that across right. The point I was trying to convey is a model name is a marketing tool, nothing more. People associate a 1st gen accord with a second and a second with a third and so on. This allieviates fears of production glithches it etc. It also builds ecitement of fans of the particular model. On the flip side a model can be renamed in order to either build excitement or draw attention from a model name that may have started to falter. Don't you agree the new Pontiac GTO brings a bit of a rush of excitement to your mind as you think of the large powerfull ones of years past? If the car had a new name like verdex, or some other name you can makeup yourself, the new car wouldn't have as much appeal?

Maybe I'm a freak? Who knows.

Also, in terms of saying Nissan is smoking hot, I was reffering to their sales numbers, not styling. Looking at thier numbers their sales are steadily on the increase, especially compared to previous years nissan sales.

I'm done. Time to get the thread back on topic.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Topic? What topic?

Another problem that steered me away from the Maxima this time (I've had two flawless examples) is that they are now made in Smyrna, TN instead of Japan. My previous ones were Japanese built and impeccable quality.

Frankly, it bothers me that the TL is made in Marysville in the same factory, I believe, as the Honda Accord (or is it right next door?). With the collapse of the US supremacy in car building and the falling quality of Detroit iron, I and a bunch of other apparently, don't trust American quality in autos.

The only drawbacks to the Maxima today (other than its naiscent albatross), is it's radical form, ugly grille, and fugly interior. I don't question it's mechanical quality or its performance credentials. I rented one recently and its accelleration was scary-fast. Much quicker than a TL feels (seat of the pants). Of course, it has a double overhead cam aluminum engine that is the darling of the trade. It's also bullet-proof. Driving the Maxima at 10/10ths was a lot like riding the bull at Lefty's Roadhouse. You pay your money and hang on with both hands. Can you say "torque steer"?

I nailed it on a damp night in Orlando and it smoked the tires all the way through first gear (automatic), then did it again in second. Wooohooo! And that was the plain Jane rental unit base SE. Even comes with 18" wheels and performance tires.

On paper, the TL has five more HP. But tell that to my @$$!

In the end, beauty won out over braun. I do consider them peers, however you want to classify them. Not that they're equal. They're comparable.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Definately agree the TL is better than the Max. But the Max and the G do not share the same platform. The Max and Altima share platforms. The G, which is really a Skyline 350GT in Japan, shares its platform with the FX and 350Z.

I found it strange that if you option out the Max, it comes to 38k. I thought that was crazy. I'd rather get a G35 Coupe or M35 sedan if I'm going to be paying that much.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:28 AM
Cruisin'

1994-1995 Accords had some bad transmission problems.
Beg to differ on that point. All these years later and the 94-95's STILL have the best reliability ratings of the 90-2002 Accords. :toothless
Old 04-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Banned

Umm the new Maxima is much LARGER overall than the Altima. If you really think they are the same size, you must be smoking something. lol The same engine is in almost all of Nissans cars.

Originally Posted by xpditor42
The Altima and the Maxima are the SAME size. The Maxima is built on the Altima platform. In a couple interior dimensions, the Altima is actually larger. In a few exterior dimensions, the Max might have an inch or so advantage but basically- they're the same car. They even offer the same engine in the V6 although you can get a 4 in the Altima but not the Max.

The Altima is lighter and faster and, IMHO, better looking on the outside.

You can argue that the TL, as the 2nd best Honda sedan should be compared with the M45 Infiniti and the GS400 as the 2nd tier offerings for both Nissan and Toyota. But <blush>, it just doesn't compare well with those two.

Just looking at the specs, though. You would want to compare the TL with a V6 Altima and a ES300. They seem more reasonable peers on paper.

OK, flamers. Bring it on!
Old 04-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Banned

Sorry but you are wrong on a few things. The Stanza was replaced with the Altima. It was not a higher end Sentra. It was a Altima. The French bought Nissan in 2000-2001.

Smoking hot? I don't think so. Maybe if you factor in the Infiniti line you could make the case for smoldering but not smoking.

From the many G35 owners that hangout / post in this forum. :lol2:

Sounds like you should have bought amother Maxima but you didn't. I wonder why? 1998 was the last production year before the French bought a large chunk of Nissan, right?

Agreed. The G35 is a fine vehicle. The Nissan Titan is a very impressive truck that should give the Ford F-150 a run for its money.

Nope. You must be talking about the Sentra-Stanza or something like that. The Stanza was nothing more than a higher-end version of the Sentra. I think restructuring is what happens when you run out of dough and a french company buys you out.

Maybe it's not for you to understand.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Instructor

The maxima doesn't really have a good market anymore. It's like an Avalon with more power, but people like the Avalon for other reasons.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:47 PM
My name is RL.

Smile Ain't too proud to beg...

Originally Posted by wth718
Beg to differ on that point. All these years later and the 94-95's STILL have the best reliability ratings of the 90-2002 Accords. :toothless
Well they weren't plagued with tranny problems but they existed. It boiled down to cars made at a certain plant during a certain period of time. These things happen. I know that there were more than a few 94-95 Accords at the Honda dealership I was taking my car to at the time and the service department showed me the manufacturing data on the VINs affected. If the manufacturer rectifies something, it shouldn't affect the reliability rating. If they had set on their a$$es and didn't do anything about it, it would have had a negative impact on this reliability rating.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:23 PM

GO TL, Nissan is on such a roll right now, it's not even funny. They TOTALLY turned things around with no end in sight. SOme new great products coming out from them, like the Nissan of old.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:11 AM
My name is RL.

Talking from the "what were we typing" department...

Originally Posted by TL_6SPD
Sorry but you are wrong on a few things. The Stanza was replaced with the Altima. It was not a higher end Sentra. It was a Altima. The French bought Nissan in 2000-2001.
Looks more like a couple to me BUT.....

(from nissanusa.com) March 26, 1999, Nissan and Renault sign a global partnership agreement allowing both companies to take advantage of their respective strengths and expertise.

I'm pretty sure the Stanza was badged as a Stanza/Sentra for at least one year because my best friend in high school. That was a while back so anythings possible. My point was the compact stanza was a step up from the sub-compact sentra, and they did share some things in common with each other, not that it was a higher end version. Poor choice of words on my part. :banghead:
Old 04-08-2004, 12:23 AM
My name is RL.

Thumbs up Prayer counselors are standing by.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
GO TL, Nissan is on such a roll right now, it's not even funny. They TOTALLY turned things around with no end in sight. SOme new great products coming out from them, like the Nissan of old.
Hey, I hope their cars get better and better. The G35 was a tempting alternative to the TL. I like the 350Z. Wasn't the 240Z the first Japanese car to be officially recognized as a classic? If it wasn't it should be. Praise...praise...praise...the Lord that Nissan is amongst us. :worship:
Old 04-08-2004, 07:16 AM
Banned

Looks more like a couple to me BUT.....

(from nissanusa.com) March 26, 1999, Nissan and Renault sign a global partnership agreement allowing both companies to take advantage of their respective strengths and expertise.

I'm pretty sure the Stanza was badged as a Stanza/Sentra for at least one year because my best friend in high school. That was a while back so anythings possible. My point was the compact stanza was a step up from the sub-compact sentra, and they did share some things in common with each other, not that it was a higher end version. Poor choice of words on my part. :banghead:
The Stanza was never a Sentra Sorry.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:02 AM
Advanced

We own both the '04 Maxima SL and the '04 TL. IMHO both cars are good. I do like my TL for comfort and especially the stereo but the Maxima is a comfortable car on long trips. We took it to Atlanta from Long Island and avg. 29-30 mpg doing 70+ mph.
The interior of the TL is much nicer but comfort wise the are comparable. The Maxima has some features that the TL doesn't such as a steering wheel that moves out of the way when you leave the car and a power telescoping steering wheel. The compass in the mirror is a nice touch too. As I said, the stereo in the TL and the interior are much nicer. Time will tell which car will be a better buy. I didn't pay MSRP,but under that.
The 350Z I traded for the TL is another story and in fact does share a lot of the features of the G35's including the platform.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:36 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ComptechType-S_RENAMED
Why do people always bring up which "platform" the car is built on?? All shoes have a sole.. You dont hear me going around saying my shoes are built on a Johnson & Murphy platform..
I've never seen your shoes, however, the platform dictates a lot of similarities between vehicles. Many of the engineering decisions made on design and function of the vehicle is based on a certain platform. It reduces design time and cost and is mandated by most OEM's.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
HOLY THREAD REVIVAL!!!!

7.5 years later!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
i did this comparison when i was shopping for the TL. I was actually considering a 2002 6spd Maxima SE with leather. One of my favorite maximas. Powerwise the maxima feels faster. I couldnt get past the bad mpg you get with the maxima. My dad has a g35 and you get like 18-20mpg. the maxima is sportier but the interior is way nicer on the TL.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
HOLY THREAD REVIVAL!!!!

7.5 years later!
And here I was reading this like the discussion started yesterday.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Voodoo
And here I was reading this like the discussion started yesterday.
Yea no kidding... in my head, im thinkin man they are talking about alot of 98-03 cars lmao
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (10-31-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by blkmz3
i did this comparison when i was shopping for the TL. I was actually considering a 2002 6spd Maxima SE with leather. One of my favorite maximas. Powerwise the maxima feels faster. I couldnt get past the bad mpg you get with the maxima. My dad has a g35 and you get like 18-20mpg. the maxima is sportier but the interior is way nicer on the TL.
I totaled my 6MT 2002 Maxima a couple months ago, definitely would have torn up my current car, an '04 Accord V6 5AT, mileage wasn't that far off either, about 20 city, 28 freeway (Accord is 21/30). Never ran the Maxima but several guys on maxima.org have been able to get low 14s at 97-98 out of the 6 speed cars bone stock. Biggest drawbacks on the Maxima are the notchy shifters (no one does front wheel drive stick shifts like Honda/Acura), horrendous turning radius and excessive road noise. Honda/Acura have a classier interior, Nissan is more austere and business-like. Couldn't find another 6MT 5.5 gen Maxima, already had one with the 4AT and didn't want to go back to that and the 6th gen Maximas are hideous boats. So, back to Honda. Miss all that VQ35 torque, but the top end pull I have now is pretty addictive too.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 AM
10th Gear

Scottwax! Another orger on Azine! (NCSU_MAX), just changed my name here. I recently sold my 98 w/ VQ35 and SER HLSD 6 swap.. I definitely miss it sometimes. I love my 04 6spd TL, of course its much nice on the interior but my maxima would walk all over this car power wise. With a good tune that car would have easily broken 12s. IMO Acura makes a much nice car interior wise but I much prefer the power curve of the VQ. But for where Im at in life, going to grad school, I needed something unmodded, reliable, nice and with the decent power and I gotta say the TL has been great!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:03 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by TripAcez
Yea no kidding... in my head, im thinkin man they are talking about alot of 98-03 cars lmao
LMAO I said the same fucking thing in till I saw infamouslink says "holy thread revival" I said shit... here I am reading all this misleading/informative information lol.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Mr. Detail

Received 198 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Gviz
Scottwax! Another orger on Azine! (NCSU_MAX), just changed my name here. I recently sold my 98 w/ VQ35 and SER HLSD 6 swap.. I definitely miss it sometimes. I love my 04 6spd TL, of course its much nice on the interior but my maxima would walk all over this car power wise. With a good tune that car would have easily broken 12s. IMO Acura makes a much nice car interior wise but I much prefer the power curve of the VQ. But for where Im at in life, going to grad school, I needed something unmodded, reliable, nice and with the decent power and I gotta say the TL has been great!
Same here, I got such a great deal on the Accord (my Dad is the original owner) that in absence of a decent 6 MT 5.5 gen Maxima, I jumped all over the Honda. Considered a G35 sedan but the gas mileage isn't very good, 17/25 I believe. Considered a TL as well and would have preferred it to the Accord, but not enough to pay several grand more. Plus the gas mileage I got on my way to Arizona and back was really good with the Accord, just over 30 mpg and we averaged 75 mph.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:35 PM
10th Gear

I was at the same point but found a killer deal on this TL. Surprisingly its getting a consistent 27mpgs... but I do must highway driving.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:01 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by sandertl
I've never seen your shoes, however, the platform dictates a lot of similarities between vehicles. Many of the engineering decisions made on design and function of the vehicle is based on a certain platform. It reduces design time and cost and is mandated by most OEM's.
The following users liked this post:
anx1300c (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 07:11 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Nissan is garbage all around. Knock sensors, transmission problems, emissions issues, and crappy interiors, crappy suspension on their SUVs....GTFO

Honda>Nissan
Acura>Infiniti

That being said,

Lexus>Acura
Toyota>Honda

Last edited by quanaman; 10-31-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:43 PM
10th Gear

while i wont disagree with most of the above the VQ is a beast of a motor. plus the auto TLs have had TONS of tranny problems.

If I wanted a great DD I would go Honda/Acura

If I wanted performance.. Nissan hands down.. but only if German sedans werent thrown in the mix
Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by sandertl