Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL vs. G35

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL vs. G35

Hey to all - I am having a hard time trying to decide to purchase either the TL or a G35 Sedan.

I have spent much time in both - I like the Infinit's RWD and sporty drive, but much prefer the TL's Interior.

Does anyone have some similar notes on this comparison?

Please advise.

-John
Old 01-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in the same conflict as you but I went with the TL. One it is more powerful, two dont have to worry about rear wheel drive in rain sleet, what have you, three the interior and options for the price sold me hands down.!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: TL vs. G35

Originally posted by pabound
Hey to all - I am having a hard time trying to decide to purchase either the TL or a G35 Sedan.

I have spent much time in both - I like the Infinit's RWD and sporty drive, but much prefer the TL's Interior.

Please advise.

-John
John - Do a search on "G35" and you'll find all the discussions you could possibly want to read on this topic as it seems most people who are shopping come down to the G35 (along with others) and TL.

I just didn't like the RWD of the G35 and didn't want the weight and $$ of AWD G35 - live in the midwest and always have had FWD. The interior is what really did it for me - the TL is a knockout inside with the fit & finish.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts

Please advise.

-John

Many of ppl here ever cross shopping between G and TL. IMO, beside the performance and RWD/AWD, G has nothing. His style is old, handling is not so good as those G guys talks about, interior is terrible, and environment is noisy.

One more thing, lots of fans in G clubs cannot allow you talking about anything good of other similar vehicles, especially TL, they will beat you. I don't want to be one of them.

Tampa should be sunny most of time. If you like to enjoy racing with spending reasonable price, G is your choice. Otherwise, TL is cutting edge car.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Racer

Drive the G 200mi down a cement slab freeway. That sold me on the TL. The noise, the crunched leg space and the harsh ride sold me on the TL.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Racer

Cons of the G35:

Cramped driving position for taller people. The map bins hit the side of your shin in a very awkward way.

Uncomfortable driver's seat, terrible position for the seat controls.

Cheap interior materials.

Bose audio system will NOT play CDR's without significant distortion (major issue)

Very harsh ride (if equipped with sports tuned suspension)

Exterior styling is not for everyone, I think it will get dated quickly.

RWD in the snow.

Seat memory is impossible to set without opening the door.

Memory is not programmed to key fobs, nor does it memorize mirror/climate control settings.

No separate controls for the dual climate control.

No Bi-Xenon headlamps.

No trip computer on non nav.

Loud interior, though some is OK when it is the exhaust, but a lot of road noise...

Unrefined engine, very "mechanical"

Pros of the G35:

VERY fast, especially in the 6 speed, which I had.

Great handling during extreme driving.

RWD is fun, especially in corners, but not in weather (see above)

Auto on headlights are great.

Compass (Acura with non nav does not have)

Exterior temp is always displayed (Acura's is only dispalyed on the trip computer).

Outstanding brakes.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
after owning a 2004 TL for 3.5 months and renting a G35 in Florida for a weekend, I can say that the G35 is definitely the drivers' car, but the interior didn't do it for me (a whole mess of things) and it's more "anonymous" than the TL on looks.

If the G35 had a larger, more luxurious interior I would have gone with it. RWD is far better for driving (albeit not in poor weather) and the steering/braking/transmission (auto) is much better.

-josh
Old 01-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Racer

Just can't accept the look of the G35 compared to the TL.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Advanced

It kinda depends on what you value most. The g35 is more of an agressive drivers car - almost perfect weight balance, great handling, rwd, insane brakes. If you drive aggressively often, you may prefer the g. Though acceleration wise, they are practically tied (6-spd only). I shopped them both, got the TL just because I could not stand the G's interior, loud exhaust, and NVH in the 6-spd. Sometimes, I regret my decision - but only when I am driving hard. The torque steer pisses me off, the brakes are good, but not as good as the G's, and it just doesn't turn in as accurately, or have such a nice balanced feel when cornering. After a month in the TL, I haved started to forget about the interior, and sometimes wish for the G's performance. But, if I had the G, I would probably be *****ing all the time about the cheap interior, mediocre seats, and smallish interior. It is hard to find a car that suits all your moods. I have to say, only when I am pushing it to the max do I wish I had a G. All other times, the TL kicks it's ass - quieter, smoother, bigger, and the DVD-A stereo is great. You just have to decide whether it is worth the trade off. Not an easy decision. The nice thing is, you can't lose! They are both awesome cars for their price level.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Racer

Please advise.

-John
I look at it like this.... I spend my time in the car. The interior is more important than RWD.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:55 AM
Instructor

you can probably get a much better deal on a G35 sedan than a 04 TL.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:11 AM
Intermediate

Hey i just picked up my 04 TL 6sp with Navi today, coming from a 01 cl navi. so my opinion may be a little one sided, but i did shop for both although giving up the RWD was hard to pass up i couldnt help not choosing all the extra bell and wistles ( i think i'm gonna start forming a relationship talking to my car). its just as fast with a little less handling, but hey thats what aftermarkets parts are for plus slap in the comptech supercharger and your good...
Old 01-20-2004, 07:28 AM
Banned

Please advise.

-John
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I looked at both cars, and decided on the better of the two.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by lindros2
after owning a 2004 TL for 3.5 months and renting a G35 in Florida for a weekend, I can say that the G35 is definitely the drivers' car, but the interior didn't do it for me (a whole mess of things) and it's more "anonymous" than the TL on looks.

If the G35 had a larger, more luxurious interior I would have gone with it. RWD is far better for driving (albeit not in poor weather) and the steering/braking/transmission (auto) is much better.

-josh

I've seen quite a few G35 rental cars around town lately. I'm sure this can't be good for resale value. It's no wonder you can already get a deal from the dealership if you try to buy it new. The image is just not there. Also, if you have the urge to have fun with RWD, buy a TL still and just rent a G35 every now and then to satisfy your cravings. That way you'll be okay when the snow comes
Old 01-20-2004, 10:02 AM
You like?

im also in the same boat where i cant decide what car to choose, i joined this forum because I am biased and i do like the tl a little bit better but i really do like the new G35 Sedan X with the AWD...

what are your thoughts on this option or model?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:30 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by theone
im also in the same boat where i cant decide what car to choose, i joined this forum because I am biased and i do like the tl a little bit better but i really do like the new G35 Sedan X with the AWD...

what are your thoughts on this option or model?
The G35x will definitely handle better, and have better traction in any type of weather. The AWD acts like a RWD so you get that benefit and when needed, distributes the power in an infinite combination from 50:50 to 25:75. I say the best of both worlds. With the AWD, it will also get great traction off the line. That being said, the TL will be faster due to the heavier weight of the AWD and the higher drivetrain loss inherent in all AWD applications. Also, the 6sp manual is NOT available for the G35x.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Troublemaker

if you want a true sports car you should buy a Mustang Cobra (390 HP Rwd) 35k

other than that, buy a TL, the G35 is Coupe is the closest Inifiniti has to a sports car, the Sedan is not the way to go...