Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL vs. Cadillac CTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 02:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TL vs. Cadillac CTS

Hey all, I'm trying to get a general consensus of how you see the Cadillac CTS vs. the TL. They have an 04 that just hit the lot over here (in Seoul) that they are selling through the PX. FYI, it comes with a new 3.6L V6 for 04, 255 HP and 260 lb. ft.; curb weight 3509 lbs. It is also rear-wheel drive, which for me personally I would prefer (though not because I am such a skilled driver that it makes a difference to me!) Right now, my biggest gripe against it is it only comes with an automatic, unless you get the "old" 3.2L V6 (220 HP/220 lb. ft.), then you get a 5-speed manual.

However, the 05's will get a 6-speed manual with the 3.6L; the other posts I have read on Edmund's and Cadillacforums.com have also whined endlessly about the low-buck interior when compared to the TL, 330, A4, etc. The CTS is also supposed to get a reworked interior for '05. These are not rumours, GM has already gone on record as saying these changes will happen for 05.

Since I'm stuck here in Korea until September, and therefore unable to actually buy anything, I have plenty of time to "thoroughly" analyze all my options before I spend a dime!!
:lol2:

What do you all think? Viable alternative to a TL? Heard any horror stories about a friend/neighbor that has/had owned one and swore they'd never own a Cadillac again? Owned one personally and were ready to invoke the lemon law within a month? Or maybe you rode in one and thought, "damn, if I hadn't already bought my TL..." Pricewise, it's about the same as the TL, mid-30's depending on exactly what options you get. I'd welcome all opinions, although hopefully this won't evolve into "typical domestic P.O.S." type posts! Thanks!
:toothless

- Greg
Old 01-23-2004, 06:15 AM
Racer

Drive both. Buy the one you like best.

But if you plan on getting rid of it in the near future, there's a good chance the TL will hold its value significantly better.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:03 AM
Team Nighthawk Whiner

Every time I read something in Consumer Reports about Cadillacs it's not very good. Apparaently reliability is always suspect.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by godfreyl
Every time I read something in Consumer Reports about Cadillacs it's not very good. Apparaently reliability is always suspect.
The cadillac is a nice car but reliability has been pretty pathetic, in addition, as expected, the fit and finish are well below honda standards. Plus it is more expensive. Personally I would not buy it.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I was also entertaning CTS vs TL. After adding all the options I wanted (which is a bit of a challenge because some option packs on the CTS overlap with others) the price was surely higher.

The sales guy then told me he gets a regular supply of GM executive cars with less than 1K on them, and then sells them with used with a 100K used car warrranty. While I did not get a price for those, I assume that would move me closer to the TL (I'm looking for auto with navi).

The test drive with the big six was good, but perhaps not as good as my TL drives.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Banned

I test drove one a while back and it wasn't all that bad.

However, their reliability and resale compared to a TL is not there. So I would obviously recommend the TL for those two reasons alone, not to mention many others.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Pro

The only one I'd consider getting is the CTS-V...aka the poor man's M5. But VTECbrain is right, Caddy has had some quality issues (it is GM, so.....), not unlike MB.

But equally optioned and priced, the TL wins hands down. The closest competitor to the TL is probably the new Maxima (IMO).
Old 01-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Funny how we talk about GM/Cadillac having quality issues. On those cars, the transmissions are not treated like wearable items. I had an STS before my TL-S. I had my fair share of "annoyance" type problems, but never major failures like the repeated problems I and so many others have had with the transmissions on these cars. And, the Acura rattles much worse than the Cadillac did, too.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Team NBP Member

Be careful knocking Cadillac's quality. Last year's JD Power IQS showed Cadillac second only to Lexus. JD Power is not the end all evaluation of quality but it is a good indicator.

The new GM 3.6L V6, along with the TL's 3.2L, were both nominated for Ward's Top 10.

I know it probably sounds like rhetoric, but Caddy has made some strides over the past couple of years. I considered the CTS but no manual until 05MY made the TL an easy choice.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Instructor

I had a '99 STS before my '03 TL-S w/nav. STS was VERY trouble free. Loved that car. (Love my TL-S too)
Old 01-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Pro

I was thinking CR (Consumer Reports) reliability index as opposed to JDP (Initial Quality Survey). Ultimately, I'd have the car beyond the actual delivery date (i.e.: 39 months of a 39 month lease).

As for the Acura/Honda auto tranny issues, I know many Honda owners (of the non-enthusiast variety) that havent had any auto tranny problems. However, I did have a tranny failure; me being someone who drives hard/fast and installed performance mods (99 Accord). The tranny problem is blown out of proportion. (pardon the pun)
Old 01-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Instructor

J.D. Powers is an Initial Quality survey. I'd like to see it repeated after say 40-50,000 miles. Would we see the same results?
The CTS-V is kewl. But 400hp V-8 vs. 270hp V-6... not apples 2 apples. Plus, the CTS-V is juuussssttt a bit more $$$ ;o)
IMO-Caddy is making more strides right now, then most the other GM divisions. (should we post this thread over at cts.com? Where they consistently kick our TL butts? With the GTPer's?
Kidding.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Intermediate

The Caddy is a sweet car. I drove both the CTS and the TL.

In the end, the TL swayed me because it cost less, is more comfortable, and I really dig the DVD-A audio. I think the caddy looks better, but the lack of a 6MT also was a big factor in favor of the TL.

The caddy has good power, handles great with the luxury sport package and looks cool. Cadillac is discouraging leasing on the CTS. The TL is 500 a month vs. 675 for the cadillac.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Happy in the Abyss

TL vs Cad.

We drove both back to back. My wife and I liked the TL better. TL interior looked much nicer and would be easier to keep clean. The cad was noisier and seemed less refined. We did like the cad styling.

Jim
Old 01-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the valuable input. The CTS does seem to have its share of quality control issues, but then on the other hand you've got the people that tell you they have had their car for a year or two and it hasn't been in the shop since they bought it. Always makes you wonder which side of the fence you're going to end up on in that regard. I have really been suprised by some of the quality control issues folks have been having with their TL's; especially the squeaks/rattles issues...in an Acura? That used to be one of the areas that Honda/Acura/Toyota especially excelled.

Anyway...got about six months to kick it around. Haven't even been able to test drive either of them yet, that will have to wait until September as well. My wife likes the TL better, so that may play a role in my decision as well. She says the CTS has a "big butt"...women, I tell ya!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: