Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL Type S vs. Pontiac G8

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Since when did i say the TL was ever faster then G8 GT, and please dont bring in the GXP in i didnt even say anything about it.
I brought up the GXP, because you were comparing manuals to autos, and the GXP is a manual, and MSRP is the same as the Type-S, but can be had much cheaper...

I stated that a 6m/t TL-S can hang with a G8 GT, from a roll. And btw 0-60 is not 5.0flat. More like 5.3.
BS on both counts...

G8 GT did 0-60 in 5.0 flat by Road & Track... >>Reference Here<<

Feel free to compare it to Road and Track's datasheet for the TL-S datapanel >>here<<. The G8 GT is almost 3 full seconds faster to 120mph.

TL-S cannot hang with a G8 GT from a roll either... Car and Driver 0-60 is 5.5, but street start 5-60 is 5.8

Car and Driver 0-60 with G8 GT was 5.2, and street start 5-60 was 5.4

G8 GT >>Car and Driver Reference<<
TL-S >>Car and Driver Reference<<

And remember, this is still an automatic to manual comparison... Equip the TL-S with an automatic, or compare the manual GXP, and the results only get worse... (In the case of the GXP, muuuuch worse)
Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
umm, how many people are actually getting 0-60 in 5flat under normal conditions, not many. The 5.2-5.3 is the actual time. And the GT is a mid13sec car, while the tl-s 6m/t is a low-mid 14sec car. It can hang trust me on it.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
umm, how many people are actually getting 0-60 in 5flat under normal conditions, not many. The 5.2-5.3 is the actual time. And the GT is a mid13sec car, while the tl-s 6m/t is a low-mid 14sec car. It can hang trust me on it.
The TL can hang with it, but it won't win. The TL vs G8 from the factory, the TL is slower. The question is really, is going 0-60 in 5.0 vs. 5.7 seconds worth the loss in luxuries, the loss in refinement, and as well the loss in money down the road? I really don't think so. I'd rather spend 30K on something more worthwhile, like the TL-S or a G35/37

As well, Please play nicely with the other members, this is an official warning for this thread.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Drifting

The G8 GT is an AUTOMATIC, so it's easier to run it consistently than the TL-S 6MT... And how is up to a full second difference in the quarter "hanging" with the G8? At speed the G8 will be running away from the TL-S... Just look at the chart from Road and Track that I posted. Even if the G8 stops accelerating when it crosses the 1/4 mile mark, by the time the TL-S gets there, the G8 will be 123 ft ahead of the TL.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by csmeance
The question is really, is going 0-60 in 5.0 vs. 5.7 seconds worth the loss in luxuries, the loss in refinement, and as well the loss in money down the road? I really don't think so. I'd rather spend 30K on something more worthwhile, like the TL-S or a G35/37
This I completely agree with... I"m not trying to argue that the TL-S sucks, or that the G8 is a better car, I was just arguing the numbers, as to some people, performance may be more important...

To me personally, it isn't... That's why I didn't buy the GTO when it was out, and I bought an Infiniti Coupe instead...
Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 AM
A Black TL

Well i guess csmeance summed it up thats really wat i was trying to say, sorry about my language.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The G8 is a tremendous vehicle. The TL wins with the technology and MPG, the G8 has a wonderful V-8 coupled with RWD. The TL has great space, the G8 is bigger. The G8 responds to mods cheaper and better.

G8 reminds me of a 4 door Corvette.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:28 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What if G8 is getting discontinued soon? Go for TL-S for sure.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:38 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by abp_04tl

u tell me

no way in hell would i buy a pontiac, but thats my opinion!
lol
Old 06-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why is anyone comparing a V8 to a V6 anyway? Bottom line, the TL is very close to having too much horsepower mated to a FWD platform. IMO, it is one of the nicest, if not the nicest FWD cars to be had. If you want to reduce practicality, then by all means go RWD and have a much higher range in hp and performance.

Also IMO, pontiac designers need to all be fired. They make some of the ugliest, cheapest(in terms of quality) cars on the market.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by mlrskn06
i would go w/ the tl... better resale value, more luxury, it may be slower but shit... its still really fast and you did mention its a family car... if you already had a family car and maybe wanted your own car to tune and race... go w/ the g8... but idk... if i were you... i'd go w/ the TL hands down
What's with all the people saying the TL is really fast? It's a slug.

With the G8 you give up some luxury for a huge increase in speed and aftermarket support. Some people are acting like it's a POS rwd Cavalier with a V8. It's still a semi-luxury car.

Being that I have a fast car I chose the TL over many other cars that I wouldn't have normally. I fell in love with the interior, the handling, looks, and the Honda reliability. If I didn't have a fast car already, the G8, Mustang Cobra, or some other LSx powered car would be sitting in the driveway.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Team Owner

It's a HUGE difference between a mid 14 and a mid 13s car. Not even a competition.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny_b
Also IMO, pontiac designers need to all be fired. They make some of the ugliest, cheapest(in terms of quality) cars on the market.
I agree with you on the Aztek. That thing was horrible. A class full of hyper 2nd graders could have done better but they just started to get better with the styling of the current fleet of Pontiacs. The G8 look VERY nice to me.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Some people are acting like it's a POS rwd Cavalier with a V8. It's still a semi-luxury car.
Agreed! It beats the Dodge Charger and Ford Mustang in performance and handling. Looks better too! The only drawback (for me) is no navi.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
the TL and G8 are both nice - in their own way.

TL is more refined, and a better designed car.

The G8 is not a POS like someother POntiac products - partly because it's NOT really a pontiac. it's a holden made in Australia.

the G8 is piles faster. i don't know what the exact0-60 times are but 0-60 is a poor true judge of actual speed, b/c in th real world, how often do you line up agains tsmoene at the stoplight and do a full blown drag from the greeen light? but how often are you trying to merge, or trying to get around someone, and hte hammer it from a roll?? besides, with tires, street conditions, ,hooking up problems due to tractions - some cars have so-so 0-60 times but great acceleration from a roll.

i haveno doubt, if bot the G8 and TL-S were rolling along at 45mph and both people hit the gas, the G8 would wlak all over the TL-S. stick or auto. that's a given. don't try to say it's not.

now in 5 years, when the TL and G8 are both "used" and havve 75-100k on the odometer - which one is still going to look niceinside? still drive nice? that is a big concern for me - and one reason why I am reluctant to get a G8.

also, suppose I want to sell in 3-4 years for whatever reason. resale value on the Acura will be good. resale value on the G8 wil be in the toilet. All POntiacs depreciate like bricks, this G8, as goood as it is, will be no exception.

i also am worried about getting parts for the G8. pontiac is gone. GM is now govt motors. they make the car in Australia, but some of the parts are unique to hte G8. you might be able to GET parts, but there area already people on the G8 forum who can't get parts. one guy had a small crash, needed a new door sleeve, and couldn' get one! had to bang out his and fix it old school with bondo, etc... brand new car and the body shop couldn't find a new door sleeve. they did locater a used one - and that was as good as it got.... so finding parts is already an issue. how will that get BETTER when pontiac is totally gone and GM is - who knows what they'll be up to...

you know the other car i considered - a 06 RL. thorwo on some aspec suspension so it's not quite so soggy and some 18s and that woudl be a sweet ride.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 23109VC
the TL and G8 are both nice - in their own way.

TL is more refined, and a better designed car.
How is the TL a better designed car? I could say the G8 is better designed since it's faster. This statment is nothing but an opinion, no fact.

The G8 is not a POS like someother POntiac products - partly because it's NOT really a pontiac. it's a holden made in Australia.
Some of you guys really are really closed minded when it comes to American cars. Trust me, on the domestic side, we look down at the import side just as badly. My friends made fun of me for getting the TL but I'm not closed minded like most.

the G8 is piles faster. i don't know what the exact0-60 times are but 0-60 is a poor true judge of actual speed, b/c in th real world, how often do you line up agains tsmoene at the stoplight and do a full blown drag from the greeen light? but how often are you trying to merge, or trying to get around someone, and hte hammer it from a roll?? besides, with tires, street conditions, ,hooking up problems due to tractions - some cars have so-so 0-60 times but great acceleration from a roll.
Uh, this is where most of the street challenges come from. It's much safer than two drivers who think they know something about car control trying to outcorner one another. The winner is usually the one who has the bigger balls or less brains, not the car that actually corners better. Racing from a dig is not popular on a FWD website, I know.

i haveno doubt, if bot the G8 and TL-S were rolling along at 45mph and both people hit the gas, the G8 would wlak all over the TL-S. stick or auto. that's a given. don't try to say it's not.

now in 5 years, when the TL and G8 are both "used" and havve 75-100k on the odometer - which one is still going to look niceinside? still drive nice? that is a big concern for me - and one reason why I am reluctant to get a G8.

That's a guess at best. There are tons of high mileage Pontiacs on the road that still look great after 100,000+ miles. My friend's '99 Trans-am is a great example. Looks like a new car inside. Even my '84 Buick with over 200,000 miles looked decent before the bodyshop stole the interior.

I love the TL's interior, that was one of the big selling points for me but it scratches and wears easily and has cheap leather. I've already replaced the floormats, several trim items, and weather stripping at 75,000 miles and I treat the car very well. Same with the paint quality. It's one of the worst I've owned. I just had the car repainted due to normal wear from the freeway miles.

also, suppose I want to sell in 3-4 years for whatever reason. resale value on the Acura will be good. resale value on the G8 wil be in the toilet. All POntiacs depreciate like bricks, this G8, as goood as it is, will be no exception.
It may or may not, you could have a point but being it's a somewhat special car it might not be as bad as you think. There are people like me that buy a car to drive until the wheels fall of so resale means squat.

i also am worried about getting parts for the G8. pontiac is gone. GM is now govt motors. they make the car in Australia, but some of the parts are unique to hte G8. you might be able to GET parts, but there area already people on the G8 forum who can't get parts. one guy had a small crash, needed a new door sleeve, and couldn' get one! had to bang out his and fix it old school with bondo, etc... brand new car and the body shop couldn't find a new door sleeve. they did locater a used one - and that was as good as it got.... so finding parts is already an issue. how will that get BETTER when pontiac is totally gone and GM is - who knows what they'll be up to...
That's a legitimate worry and it's crossed my mind several times. Have no fear Obama will warranty it for you.... kidding.

you know the other car i considered - a 06 RL. thorwo on some aspec suspension so it's not quite so soggy and some 18s and that woudl be a sweet ride.
To me, the RL is more of an old person's car. I wouldn't consider it for at least 2 more years lol. It's nice but not exactly sporty

To each his own, I'm not trying to pick on you but some of the comments were really biased.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's a guess at best. There are tons of high mileage Pontiacs on the road that still look great after 100,000+ miles. My friend's '99 Trans-am is a great example. Looks like a new car inside. Even my '84 Buick with over 200,000 miles looked decent before the bodyshop stole the interior.
Our TL is barely 4 years old... It's headliner keeps falling/sagging at the sunroof. And the carpet keeps coming out of the kickpanel. And the center console creeks like crazy. The leather also looks to be on the verge of cracking in several places, despite being regularly cared for.

Our pontiac is 11 years old... Headliner is in perfect condition. The carpet is not coming out of anything. The leather is also not cracking, and not on the verge of cracking anywhere. (Tho the TL's leather is of higher quality) The center console does not make any strange noises.

I love the interior of our TL, but it still has it's issues. I personally like the interior of the Infiniti better. I know many like the layout or the looks of the TL better, but the quality of the materials in the Infiniti is much better. The leather in my G for example is much more supple than the leather in the TL, and the G's leather does not look worn at all, like our TL's leather does. And the interior makes zero noises.

As far as parts go... I wouldn't worry about it... If I can still find parts for my 68' Chevelle, you will still be able to get parts for the G8... Heck, my friend is even able to easily get parts for his DeLorian...

It just boils down to what your priorities are in a car, and which features you are willing to compromise on.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:51 PM
A Black TL

lol i come to think of it, i wonder why we think imports are more realiable cars, when in most cases thier not. Well my old G6 was a p.o.s, so i guess realibility goes to the TL. But hey the G8 isn't like most other pontiacs and thats great.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:55 PM
7th Gear

Type S. It's got all the bells and whistles. Plus, you'll still get plenty of speed. I'm sure there are only a handful of situations where you need to go faster than a TL-S can actually go.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's always the new guys that perform the most "Thread-surrections" on here. Here's a thread that's "currently" discussing this. And Welcome to AZ

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g8-gt-tl-s-812786/
Old 04-04-2011, 01:21 PM
8th Gear

Tl!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

I came across this thread on a G8 forum and it's a nice change of pace to see enthusiast of another brand not bash other cars, Like Mustang and the BMW crowd. I personally like the way the TL is designed, but when I decided it was time to put my SR20DET swapped Nissan 200sx to rest and needed a larger car. I came across the G8 and fell in love with it. And the interior is not that bad especially for the price I paid.