Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL top speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
TL top speed

Just out of curiousity what is the fastest any of you fellow posters have gone on your TL.

The fastest I've gone is 110 maybe 115, didn't really pay much attention, which with my transmission is only a few mph into fourth gear. That was when I raced a turbo Acura Integra.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Take it to the track if you want to drag. Don't post shit like this here.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
^ cant go that fast at the drag. Not enough room.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:27 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
racetrack?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:37 PM
A-SPEC TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
theres been a topic about this
Old 12-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyc
racetrack?
RA (road america) the largest i know of doesnt even have a straight big enough to do that on. (ive gotten to around 130 there)
Old 12-12-2006, 08:47 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
i hit 135 today bc i finally passed the 1000 mile mark ... I had the pedal all the way down and it didnt seem like it was gonna go any faster so i just slowed down
Old 12-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Yeah, I've been at least 140 mph in my car on open highway(no others around). I didn't continue(scared of going to jail), but seem like I had some more to go!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Visionary Styles Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kenny seems upset. lol. i've been 110mph, car is still new.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Burning Brakes

i have done an easy 160.

lol j/k.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 PM
4th Gear

i hit 146 in my 04 TL just to see, and i must say the car def. has some get up and go, and still room to gain speed. Im gona say it's gotta prob. top out at maybe 155-160ish
Old 12-12-2006, 11:14 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Eoanou
Just out of curiousity what is the fastest any of you fellow posters have gone on your TL.

The fastest I've gone is 110 maybe 115, didn't really pay much attention, which with my transmission is only a few mph into fourth gear. That was when I raced a turbo Acura Integra.
I have been 155 when the govener kicked in.

05 TL 6speed
Old 12-13-2006, 09:49 AM

While I understand that you are saying this probably because it's high speed driving that gets people killed, I must say, there is no reason to be so negative.

By the way I only go fast only when the roads are vaccant, there is a stretch of highway near where I live it's four lanes wide and after 8pm there are rarely people on it.

155 seems very fast though, I got to 110 and thought it took to long, although you're a 6spd manual which is a whole second faster in the 1/4mi. I wish Acura offered a 6spd auto, that's what Audi does.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Pro

While I understand that you are saying this probably because it's high speed driving that gets people killed, I must say, there is no reason to be so negative.

By the way I only go fast only when the roads are vaccant, there is a stretch of highway near where I live it's four lanes wide and after 8pm there are rarely people on it.

155 seems very fast though, I got to 110 and thought it took to long, although you're a 6spd manual which is a whole second faster in the 1/4mi. I wish Acura offered a 6spd auto, that's what Audi does.
Yeah in general it's not safe to speed, but if you mitigate risk factors I don't see a problem with briefly putting the pedal to the metal to see how fast it will go. I went 120 once on a very lonely stretch of 4-lane highway (2 travel lanes + 2 breakdown lanes in each direction). It's in New Mexico in between Alamogordo and Las Cruces, about a 40-mile stretch of road that cuts across White Sands Missile Range. It's absolutely straight and flat the whole, and was just completely repaved about a year ago. It has high fences on both sides to keep wildlife out. There are absolutely no entrances, exits, cops, or any buildings (gas stations, etc) of any kind for those 40 miles. Traffic is nonexistant and visibility is usually unlimited. Given those conditions, I don't really see a problem in briefly going up to 120 or more just to see how fast your car will go.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

70mph, posted speed.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Went 140ish before. I was trying to keep up with an Lambo and failed.... man that sucker must have been going like 160-170 the way it pull away from me so fast. This topic was posted before and if I remember right the TL max cap is about 150 . That is whats the rev limiter is set at. The TL has a lot to go. Very well made engine.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Banned

you tried to race Lambo? ha ha the TL's fast but not that fast enough to compete!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Instructor

I wouldnt call it racing. It was more like when my friend said " holy crap! keep up with it! " so I was driving already at 70mph and within seconds it pulled away from me. I looked down and saw I was pulling about 140ish.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:44 PM
I Skydive, Therefore I Am

If you have driven your car 100mph + without the proper training or equipment, skill has absolutely nothing to do with your still being alive.

Proper equipment includes:

1. A TRACK.
2. 4 or 5 point harness connected to the frame.
3. Helmet
4. On board fire extinguisher
5. A trained brain capable of being WAY ahead of the car at all times.

I was 17 the first time I blasted down the 1/4 mile and broke into the 11's, after taking a professional racing course. 18 the first time I drove over 150mph and 20 when I gave up straight lines for pylons and decreasing radius turns. In that time I've crashed 2 cars, totally destroying one of them (it flipped 3 times.) I have felt like kissing my seatbelt every time I put it on since then and that was nearly 17 years ago.

So I know a thing or two about the subject of speed and just what kind of risks you are taking.

The wild (my term for the street) is no place for that kind of risk taking. Yes it's fun and exciting, but it is an absolute. You either come out of it clean, or it gets really ugly, there is nothing in between.

I love going fast. I can pretty safely say that I have traveled, under my own control, faster than anyone else on this board sans a pilot of high performance aircraft. (257mph during a speed skydive if you must know) There is a place for it, where others that share your exuberance for speed go. You'll learn to go faster than you could possibly imagine and you'll do it safer and without risk to your Driver's License or insurance rates.

That place is of course called... A Track.

There are a lot of them out there and if money is an issue... Why are you driving an Acura and talking about thousands of dollars in performance modifications?

GO FAST, please! The only modification my TL will receive in its life is a baby seat, so PLEASE let me live vicariously through you. Just do it in an informed and intelligent manner. In the long run you will have a LOT more fun, believe me, I would not trade my days at the track for anything.

Blue Skies, Black Death
CanopyFlyer
Old 12-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Subsonic

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
he nvr said it was on the street did he? he just said he raced a T integra
Old 12-13-2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Desert_TL
Yeah in general it's not safe to speed, but if you mitigate risk factors I don't see a problem with briefly putting the pedal to the metal to see how fast it will go. I went 120 once on a very lonely stretch of 4-lane highway (2 travel lanes + 2 breakdown lanes in each direction). It's in New Mexico in between Alamogordo and Las Cruces, about a 40-mile stretch of road that cuts across White Sands Missile Range. It's absolutely straight and flat the whole, and was just completely repaved about a year ago. It has high fences on both sides to keep wildlife out. There are absolutely no entrances, exits, cops, or any buildings (gas stations, etc) of any kind for those 40 miles. Traffic is nonexistant and visibility is usually unlimited. Given those conditions, I don't really see a problem in briefly going up to 120 or more just to see how fast your car will go.

Could you imagine your car breaking down, I'd bet you'd be waiting fours before any help arrives at least.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CanopyFlyer
If you have driven your car 100mph + without the proper training or equipment, skill has absolutely nothing to do with your still being alive.

Proper equipment includes:

1. A TRACK.
2. 4 or 5 point harness connected to the frame.
3. Helmet
4. On board fire extinguisher
5. A trained brain capable of being WAY ahead of the car at all times.

I was 17 the first time I blasted down the 1/4 mile and broke into the 11's, after taking a professional racing course. 18 the first time I drove over 150mph and 20 when I gave up straight lines for pylons and decreasing radius turns. In that time I've crashed 2 cars, totally destroying one of them (it flipped 3 times.) I have felt like kissing my seatbelt every time I put it on since then and that was nearly 17 years ago.

So I know a thing or two about the subject of speed and just what kind of risks you are taking.

The wild (my term for the street) is no place for that kind of risk taking. Yes it's fun and exciting, but it is an absolute. You either come out of it clean, or it gets really ugly, there is nothing in between.

I love going fast. I can pretty safely say that I have traveled, under my own control, faster than anyone else on this board sans a pilot of high performance aircraft. (257mph during a speed skydive if you must know) There is a place for it, where others that share your exuberance for speed go. You'll learn to go faster than you could possibly imagine and you'll do it safer and without risk to your Driver's License or insurance rates.

That place is of course called... A Track.

There are a lot of them out there and if money is an issue... Why are you driving an Acura and talking about thousands of dollars in performance modifications?

GO FAST, please! The only modification my TL will receive in its life is a baby seat, so PLEASE let me live vicariously through you. Just do it in an informed and intelligent manner. In the long run you will have a LOT more fun, believe me, I would not trade my days at the track for anything.

Blue Skies, Black Death
CanopyFlyer
the question was how fast have you drivin your tl not flew it...i don't think any of us here need another father figure in our lives....

i just not like people preching about street racing. your saying you never ran your friends in some fields back in your day? come on bragging about goin 11's now you sure as s%$# bragged about it when you where 17
Old 12-14-2006, 11:34 AM

*edit four hours* to post # 21
Old 12-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I agree with canopy flyer that without proper training by a live PROFESSIONAL, not playing a video game, you are a major hazard at 80-100 or above. Just what do you do when a tire blows? Oil or water unseen on road causes a skid? The other guy twitches and enters your lane?

And CF, you beat me by a few knots, and I fly a twin turbo prop King Air! I can't imagine speed skydiving, your crazy!

I do my real fast driving at Thunderhill Raceway near Sacramento Ca, $225 full day (way cheaper than ticket and jail) and a pro driver sits shotgun in your car. To me, the full throttle, max braking and late apex turning is what skillful driving is all about.

Lets all watch out for the totally untrained in the hot new mustangs or similar, those drivers scare me the most, all throttle no brains- or the would have bought an Acura.

ps many police depts have a limit that over which they must take you in for reckless driving, thats usually 100 where I live
Old 12-15-2006, 06:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Anyone in or near Nevada who wants to run flat out, there are several times a year they close a highway 40 miles long and the run classes go from minimum 85mph to minimum 185 MPH

Now thats finding out what your car will really do!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by baysic TL

the question was how fast have you drivin your tl not flew it...i don't think any of us here need another father figure in our lives....

i just not like people preching about street racing. your saying you never ran your friends in some fields back in your day? come on bragging about goin 11's now you sure as s%$# bragged about it when you where 17

First off, it isn't bragging if you can do it and do it without putting other people in danger. (Yes, my ego is quite large.)

I was young once, now I'm old enough to know that youth is wasted on the young.

Have I ever run on the street? Only an idiot would think that I haven't, so thanks for dropping anchor there admiral obvious (bite back that flash of anger for a moment and keep reading. If you're still pissed by the end of this post then you're welcome to flame me. Fair enough?)

I also have witnessed a 17 year old girl die after being hit by a car participating in a street drag race. I was 18 at the time and no I wasn't involved in that race, but I had been racing that night. I was watching from the sidelines, hence why I was the first person to her.

From that point forward all my racing was on the track, where the only people in danger were me and others who knew the risks.

You may think that I'm trying to preach and patronize you, but that is far from the truth. Put aside your emotions for a moment and think about it. I witnessed an event so horrific that it literally changed my life for the worse. I suffered through depression for years afterwards because of it and even to this day, 18 years later, I still think about that night.

Do you really want to go through something like that yourself? Did you know that you are risking it?

I respect you enough as a human being to know that I don't want you to go through it. It sucks.

If that makes me a "father figure" so be it. I have my first kid on the way right now anyway, so I might as well start.

01tl4tl, I have about 20 minutes of stick time in a King Air C90.

A close friend (fellow jumper) of mine runs a FAR 135 charter in OH and he flies jumpers during the summer to supplement his income. I love the King Air, it is a wonderful aircraft. If your King Air is outfitted as a cargo plane you may consider flying jumpers. My friend told me he makes about $50 more an hour flying jumpers than he does cargo.

Blue Skies,
CanopyFlyer
Old 12-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I know my 05 G35 Sedan 6mt wouldn't pass 150 mph due to a speed limiter. I got to see that at Texas Motor Speedway event though. I also have raced many times at MSR and know the proper driving techniques for high speed racing.

Though I got out of it now for a while, I don't plan to race the TL but I do plan to purchase a 2nd car for racing. The TL has seen 140 mph on a quick spurt. I have had the car 6 months, and it was only over 90 one time, and that was it. Most of the time its 70-80 mph only.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:33 PM
Pro

governor kicks in at 150.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:31 PM
9th Gear

Talking

Took my '05 6MT out to a Old military runway in Dallas. The facility is owned by the City and was used by the Police department for pursuit training up until recently. The facility used to be strictly for maintenance and the runway is incredibly long to accomodate the biggest aircraft the military has like the C5 Galaxy. From a dead stop I topped my car out. It was off the scale. So, I don't really know how fast I was going since the needle was pegged at the bottom and couldn't move any further...

Top speed? Who knows... Definitely more than 160... Next time I will ask a buddy of mine to clock me w/ his laser unit...

Fuzz
Old 12-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLFourplay
governor kicks in at 150.

sweet! you look a little on gas buddy. time to fill up!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Without any special equipment or jumping from over 50,000 ft, it's not possible to fall at 257 mph, the quickest terminal velocity an skydiver can reach is about 200mph as far as I know...

So tell me how you did it!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 AM

I don't know where you got your information, but terminal velocity for freeflyers with loose jumpsuits is 180 to 200. Chute assis (sit flyers) go about 160mph.

ANY skydiver could easily debunk your claim. The current world record speed jump is 325mph (do a search on that page for Speed Skydiving to find it.) He was using a rubber suit to help out, he also might have had some weight, but I'm not sure. There is another unofficial record of 327 out there, but I could not find reference to it.

As far as what equipment I was using, I was using a modified Bev Suites Competition jumpsuit (the booties were removed), it is primarily made of spandex and is very tight fitting. My helmet is a Factory Diver. My rig is; Javelin J-2 C-4 harness, Performance Designs Spectre 150 and PD-160R Reserve, CYPRES equipped. Oh and 2 Pro Dytters (which recorded the jump) and an FT-50 altimeter. The jump took place at Skydive Lake Wales in Lake Wales Florida, circa 2001. At the time my weight with equipment out the door was around 215 pounds.

Relative Work is what I enjoyed the most, speed diving was something that I only did for a couple of seasons. It really doesn't enjoy the popularity of RW or Freeflying in the skydiving community.

Is that good enough for you? If not, then I would suggest visiting your local drop zone and really learning something about the sport before making any further whuffo claims. (Don't try to convince me you're a jumper, even jumpers just off training would know better.)

Blue Skies,
CanopyFlyer
Old 12-19-2006, 10:10 AM

One typo in my post above... Harness is a C-16, I was typing quickly.

I think that's enough of a hijack of this thread any more skydiving related questions PM me.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Instructor

As for the topic, I remember once getting above 110mph, and only passing someone on an interstate. The speed of my "then new" TL caught me off guard.

CanopyFlyer, I like what you have to say in your posts. And seeing someone die in a seemingly innocent drag race can certainly change your perspective (seen it myself as well). Certainly makes you think.

Motorcycles on racetracks is the only way I've ever tested the limits of myself with speed (not the machine) Been around +/-155 MPH. Quite a rush, and long before the family came along.

And the phrase below had me totally cracking up... good one!

so thanks for dropping anchor there admiral obvious
Old 12-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Instructor

canopyflyer - FTR I wasn't making a whuffo claim, don't jump to conclusions. I was genuinely interested in how you did it. I never called you a liar, note the qualifier in my statement "without any special equipment", which obviously you had. No, I'm not a jumper and wouldn't try to tell you otherwise. I have jumped once and will most likely do it again some day.

I just remember from physics that terminal velocity of a sky diver is no more than 200 mph. I also did some quick research before posting and found that the top recorded speed was around 325mph. My boss is a jumper and 3G driver and I wanted to know what you did/how you did it because I thought she'd be interested to hear about it.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MTC-Dallas
Took my '05 6MT out to a Old military runway in Dallas. The facility is owned by the City and was used by the Police department for pursuit training up until recently. The facility used to be strictly for maintenance and the runway is incredibly long to accomodate the biggest aircraft the military has like the C5 Galaxy. From a dead stop I topped my car out. It was off the scale. So, I don't really know how fast I was going since the needle was pegged at the bottom and couldn't move any further...

Top speed? Who knows... Definitely more than 160... Next time I will ask a buddy of mine to clock me w/ his laser unit...

Fuzz
Did you really go that fast? I thought it's electronically limited. Did you remove the limiter?? Well dang that's good to hear anyways. Yes plz let us know how fast you have gone after clocking with the laser..
Old 12-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by meowCat
Did you really go that fast? I thought it's electronically limited. Did you remove the limiter?? Well dang that's good to hear anyways. Yes plz let us know how fast you have gone after clocking with the laser..

He didnt go that fast unless he had removed the limiter somehow. The TL is limited to 150 (147 I am pretty sure to be exact) I know this because I have hit this limiter.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:33 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by TLFourplay
He didnt go that fast unless he had removed the limiter somehow. The TL is limited to 150 (147 I am pretty sure to be exact) I know this because I have hit this limiter.
Downwind? Maybe he has smaller tires than standard and his speedo is off by that much (5.65%)?
Old 12-19-2006, 05:36 PM

Those gauges look pretty neat, although I like the ones I have a bit better.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

120 mph +, and was pulling nice and strong!..... on I-64 in Southern Indiana at 4am ,with no one on interstate!...(I'm a seasoned + experienced on the track myself!)

Quick Reply: TL top speed