Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL and STi

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:15 PM
tTLiang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL and STi

there's this guy on his way to golf today. he saw two subies were playing. seemed like they know each other. one was the older style round-eye. the other one was the latest style STi. the TL guy was minding his own business until they went at each other in front of him. that caught his attention. the round-eye looked mod-ed and was puffing black smoke already. they were neck to neck for a short period of time. then the round-eye pulled off. he wasn't gonna race the STi cuz he's got 50lbs+ golf gears in the trunk until they line up at the next traffic light. heck, when the light turn green, off was the VSA and off the line they went.

a nose at the end of the first
started to pull the STi the entire 2nd.
1 car by the end of 3rd.
shifted to 4th but STi shut down.

they caught up at the next red light. window rolled down and the words he heard from the STi guy was "what the f*** is that?" they talked for a lil while. the STi was completely stock. the STi guy ask if the TL was mod-ed and he told him "bolt-ons". the STi guy was shocked for sure.

then he remembered the golf gears were still in the trunk. e-shift did a great job on these CATs.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:43 AM
Shift Gears

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Kill!!! I am glad to see the TL has that kind of pep to pull on an STi, but the driving skills were a great factor as well...good job!
Old 10-08-2006, 03:43 AM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ttliang
there's this guy on his way to golf today. he saw two subies were playing. seemed like they know each other. one was the older style round-eye. the other one was the latest style STi. the TL guy was minding his own business until they went at each other in front of him. that caught his attention. the round-eye looked mod-ed and was puffing black smoke already. they were neck to neck for a short period of time. then the round-eye pulled off. he wasn't gonna race the STi cuz he's got 50lbs+ golf gears in the trunk until they line up at the next traffic light. heck, when the light turn green, off was the VSA and off the line they went.

a nose at the end of the first
started to pull the STi the entire 2nd.
1 car by the end of 3rd.
shifted to 4th but STi shut down.

they caught up at the next red light. window rolled down and the words he heard from the STi guy was "what the f*** is that?" they talked for a lil while. the STi was completely stock. the STi guy ask if the TL was mod-ed and he told him "bolt-ons". the STi guy was shocked for sure.

then he remembered the golf gears were still in the trunk. e-shift did a great job on these CATs.

NEWSFLASH....

The "round style headlight" (also known as the GD chasis Revision A to Subaru Enthusiasts, AKA me) were not sold in STI form here in the states.

The STI wasn't available in the states until 2004 (GD Chasis Revision D).

And no way in hell a TL will ever beat an STI with just "bolt ons."

I owned a 2005 STI up until this past June 06. Even when it was in stock form, I never lost to a current gen TL in it, not to my own 2003 TL-S, and I was half car length ahead until 4th gear against a Supercharged 2003 CL 6 speed before it began to pull towards my rear fender.

A current Gen TL beating an 04 STI with E shift from a dead stop? I'm sorry but will not happen.

The fact that the TL beat the "round headlight sti" off the line makes me believe it wasn't even a WRX, but an Impreza.

Impreza = 173 hp
WRX = 230 hp
STI = 300 hp
Curb weight = Approx 3270
AWD

2005 TL = 258 hp
Curb weight = Approx 3500
FWD

Believe me, a current Gen TL will never, and I mean NEVER beat an STI off the line.

Unless:

1: The STI driver doesn't know how to drive stick
2: The TL has forced induction with atleast stage 2 weight reduction performed with racing slick tires.
3: The STI isn't really an STI.

I'm sorry, but I must call the on this one.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:30 AM
tTLiang

it's a true story. no hard feeling.

this TL has dynoed 260+ WHP and the race was from a 1st gear roll. I'm sure you heard this "don't paper race" b4. look what happened to the Yankees....
Old 10-08-2006, 08:33 AM
tTLiang

BTW, the round-eye was a STi wannabe with the badge WRX. i'm sure you've all seen them.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

TL should never be under estimated...
Old 10-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
NEWSFLASH....

The "round style headlight" (also known as the GD chasis Revision A to Subaru Enthusiasts, AKA me) were not sold in STI form here in the states.

The STI wasn't available in the states until 2004 (GD Chasis Revision D).
My point was that the "round style headlight" Subaru's were NOT SOLD AS STI MODELS IN THE STATES.

The only way it could've even possibly have been a STI is if he dropped in an STI engine, reflashed the comp, and changed the transmission gear ratios, and changed the entire suspension setup. And i doubt you saw whats under the hood of that STI, what kind of suspension it's running, or you used a comp to see what it was flashed.

Here let me spell it out nice and clear for you:

GD Chasis Revision A
2002-2003 Model NOT SOLD IN STI FORM HERE IN THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!!!

GD Chasis Revision D
2004-2006 Model, first STI sold in the states... primarily to compete with Lancer Evos.

If you don't believe me, go run a searc on NAISOC. I'm a member there as well. And post your story... cause any STI driver will call

Oh and btw... "BTW, the round-eye was a STi wannabe with the badge WRX. i'm sure you've all seen them" It's cause the circle lights were not sold as STI and only as either Impreza's or WRX's.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:19 PM
tTLiang

did you actually read my original post? the one he raced is the 2006 STi. I thought that was pretty clear. ???

please go to www.subaru.com to check out the latest STi model.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
I think the original poster was referring to the this past year's STI with the very hated styling and referring to the previous style as round eyed, even though they're not really round compared to the generation of STi that wasn't sold here.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:10 AM
The Boss

Good story, but I too do find it hard to believe that a STi can't take a 3G-TL with just bolt-ons from the dead stop. AWD STi will smoke a Cobra pretty good, and I've seen it with my eyes. I won't call your story BS but just letting you know most of us find it hard to believe. On the highway, yeah maybe.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:09 PM
tTLiang

it's got something to do with the pro-cats. blktl did it b4 from a roll. this was from a roll too in 1st gear, not dead stop. you know one of those "let's start and see if he wants to go" things. summer tires and short throw helped a lot. 7k rpm shift point.

to tell you the truth,i wouldn't believe it either if not for the chat afterward confirming he was going 100%. very happy with the result. this is a true TL story last saturday on this TL forum. no point of making up feel good BS story here. i'm too old for that self @#$@#$ stuff. lol.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Racer

Well if it's true that you're doing 260whp then I do think you can be pretty close to a stock STI off a roll. Stock STI puts out around 240-250whp.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:01 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Pretty cool story.

My supercharged TL has problems beating my brothers 02 wrx and my friends 05 sti.

Thats pretty neat though.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Originally Posted by ttliang
did you actually read my original post? the one he raced is the 2006 STi. I thought that was pretty clear. ???

please go to www.subaru.com to check out the latest STi model.
My fault, misunderstood... still doesn't change my skepticism.

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Pretty cool story.

My supercharged TL has problems beating my brothers 02 wrx and my friends 05 sti.

Thats pretty neat though.
This being the reason why. A supercharged TL is having a hard time beating an 02 WRX and an 05 STI. A supercharged TL should have close to 280 WHP.

Although.. I'm assuming ACURATEin, that the 02 WRX is not stock... probably every bolt on possible and a Cobb Stage 2 Flash? A Supercharged TL is a beast, and I figure from a roll you should be able to take a WRX with Cobb Stage 1 and bolt ons.

Possibly the STI driver could've been a crappy shifter... But good kill to that guy who has that 260 WHP TL.

lol, I guess I'm just one of those guys who has to see it to believe it.