Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL is so friggin bumpy!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry TL is so friggin bumpy!!!!!

Guys, my TL is really starting to get annoying with how bumpy it is!! I keep telling myself that this is just how its supposed to be because of the sportiness of the suspension. But its really bouncy!!!

I drive in NYC and also own a 2000 ES300, and the difference in feeling the bumps on the road is night and day in both cars.

Is it possible that my suspension is giving out or what is the reason for this really annoying driving experience? Could it be something else mechanical?

thanks for the feedback in advance!!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Racer

The first obvious thing is to check the tire pressure. Make sure you match it to what's posted on the placard and not the MAX as listed on the tire itself.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Instructor

I drive in NYC myself and I had the same problem, the ride was very ruff, I went to the dealer and they told me that is the way the car rides. There was nothing wrong with it, I beg to differ.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by midas69
The first obvious thing is to check the tire pressure. Make sure you match it to what's posted on the placard and not the MAX as listed on the tire itself.
I tend to keep my tires on the max end to minimize wear and my ride is a bit rough. A colleague of mine actually bought a Lexus because she felt the TL ride was too rough. I guess what you feel is consistent with what others feel (if that's any reassurance).
Old 09-01-2005, 09:08 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvain
I tend to keep my tires on the max end to minimize wear and my ride is a bit rough. A colleague of mine actually bought a Lexus because she felt the TL ride was too rough. I guess what you feel is consistent with what others feel (if that's any reassurance).
When you say "on the max end", I hope you don't mean the maximum pressure molded into the sidewall of the tire. That's there only as a warning, and if you inflate to those pressures, you're endangering yourself (as well as unnecessarily subjecting yourself to a flinty ride). At max pressure, the tread bows up slightly at the edges instead of laying flat to the road as it's intended to do. That decreases tire contact patch, which means you sacrifice cornering grip as well as wet traction.

Keep in mind, too, that if you set the tires to that pressure when cold, they are in excess of the maximum pressure after you drive for a couple of miles.

I guess I'm surprised people actually inflate their tires to those pressures!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TL_BLUE
Guys, my TL is really starting to get annoying with how bumpy it is!! I keep telling myself that this is just how its supposed to be because of the sportiness of the suspension. But its really bouncy!!!

I drive in NYC and also own a 2000 ES300, and the difference in feeling the bumps on the road is night and day in both cars.

Is it possible that my suspension is giving out or what is the reason for this really annoying driving experience? Could it be something else mechanical?

Sorry to have to tell you this again but it is the nature of the beast.

One question pop up in my mind, did you actually test drive the car for a decent amount of time before you signed the buying contract?

I had a 2003 Honda Odyssey before I purchased my 2005TL.

I did test drive it on different kind of road surface and conditions before signing the contract. When I did signed the contract, I actually knew what I was getting and also what the maintenance cost would be for this car.

I hear this severall times a week from other people that complains about how their car rides, how hard it is on gas, how it is gutless(no power) and 99 times out of 100 when I do ask the question if they did a test drive of more then 30 minutes, I get told no. Did they ask other people who own the same car for advice, again NO, did they inquire about the maintenance cost of this car before buying it, NO!.

So, If you did not properly test drive the car, do not complain about how hard the suspension is as you should have gotten a Lincoln Town Car for you cushy butt as you have only yourself to blame for not doing your homework first.

Finally, our roads up here are as bad as New York City's on a good day as they have been neglected for the past 20 years.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
how many miles on the car ? 04 or 05? did the problem just started happening or is it from day one ?

the Lexus's are known to have a nice floaty ride so i dont think the TL would ever match that.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:17 PM
6MT & LSD

I do agree that you should've known exactly what you were getting, and I can't help but laugh at such complaint... call me an asshole, but just be ready to hear me calling you an idiot.

Your options are limited.. you can get different tires. If you want to keep it at the stock profile, then choose a set that's meant for quiet, comfy rides, instead of high performance tires. You can try going with the 50 profile tires, but it'll affect your odometer reading, as well as potentially f'ing up the car's dynamics.

Second option is changing your suspension set up. I don't know if the shocks with adjustable setting are available yet, but look into it. Springs could help, too. I think tein H-tech might deliver a softer ride...

Third... get a different car. Like ES or LS.

That's all I can think of.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:32 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
When you say "on the max end", I hope you don't mean the maximum pressure molded into the sidewall of the tire. That's there only as a warning, and if you inflate to those pressures, you're endangering yourself (as well as unnecessarily subjecting yourself to a flinty ride). At max pressure, the tread bows up slightly at the edges instead of laying flat to the road as it's intended to do. That decreases tire contact patch, which means you sacrifice cornering grip as well as wet traction.

Keep in mind, too, that if you set the tires to that pressure when cold, they are in excess of the maximum pressure after you drive for a couple of miles.

I guess I'm surprised people actually inflate their tires to those pressures!
... and on top of that, tire pressure can increase or decrease (up to 5 psi) during the day because of temperature.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TL_BLUE

Trust me I feel your pain TL_Blue!!!! Like ndxs says I'm an idiot for not test driving. I fell in love with the looks and didn't bother w/ a test drive. Please no flaming...I'm a rookie (Its my first new car). I have back problems and the ride is killing me. I went to lexus and explained my story, the guy said I have to wait 2 years b/c I'm leasing or just pay the buyout, sure like I can really do that now that I'm unemployed! (I leased for 42months in March) At this point I hate myself cause I'll do anything to get myself into an ES. I guess I'll have to chalk this up as a lesson learned the painful lower back way.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:05 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try my 03 A4 + sport pkg, ur back will broke for sure.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Cruisin'

I also drive in NYC and there's a lot of TLs around here. I did test drive the car but it really depends on where you've brought it, what roads they had there to test it, how many different dealers you want to visit, etc, etc, etc. I've test drove the bmw 3 series, the lexus ES & IS, the G35x, SLK/CLK/C series, and others that are in the same league (more or less). Really the lexus ES is the most soft sprung. "floaty" of them all with very "slow-feeling" acceleration and braking. Reminds me of an old Caddy. But it did swallowed up the bumps very well and is very quiet on the inside. They are really two different cars with the TL being more sporty and aggressive while the ES is all about luxury. Sorry about your decision but try to stick with it and take it out to the country on some winding roads.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Banned

I love it, comparing a floating suspension car, to a car with an aggressive setup. Heck why dont you try my A-Spec set up?

The TL is not BUMPY, BUMPY is an s2k. The TL is an aggressively riding car, it's not a floater like the LS/ES, and it's not BUMPY like a Vette or S2k.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:45 AM
Pro

bumpy??? drive the G35 or the 330i...the TL is a limo compared to those, as well as my 2002 A4, 1990 BMW 735iL, and especially '85 Mustang GT
Old 09-02-2005, 01:34 AM
Racer

I drove down to NYC in April somewhere in the 20s. Roads were rough like they were going to repave them some decade. You know when they grove them all that.

Back end was bouncing all around.

Its just cause the TL is tuned towards the sporty side rather then the luxury side.

And the roads in NYC (And Westchester) SUCK.

Maybe the larger rear sway bar might help on the Auto I don't know. Bottom line though its just the roads and car. Don't think there is much you can do other then move or trade for something more cushy.

I had a Lincoln LS (the v6 one) for a month this winter and I am sure it would handle the moon surfaces they call streets allot smoother.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:58 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I think the 3G's suspension is a great balance of comfort and sport. Hey, you are the one who bought the car. Don't complain about it now because you think it's too stiff and blame it on the car. Should've known better and chosen a different car with softer suspension.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
Doesn't anybody test drive cars before they buy them?

Its a "sports luxury sedan". and the suspension really isn't that bad. What car did you own before this?
Old 09-02-2005, 06:34 AM
Banned

fuckin idiot!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Racer

I don't think a test drive exposes how touchy the wheels are. If they are not perfectly balanced and inflated, you are going to get vibration.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Try changing tires or suspension. That may be your only option. But you should have test driven it over different road surfaces and conditions. Did you?? Remember it is a SPORT/luxury car. I came from an 02 Accord and the ride of the TL is firm. I like it. I feel more connected to the road. Actually it is still a little soft for my tastes.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go out and get different tires. You are running 45 series tires on that car. See if you can get 50s or 55s to fit and you will notice a difference in the ride. When I went from 50s to 45s on my 2 G I noticed the difference right away.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:06 AM
Burning Brakes

The manual trans cars are even more stiff I think.

Lowering the tire pressure well below what they recomend helps a lot,
but mpg suffers, tire wear likely goes up, and you could damage the rims if
you go to low and hit big pot holes.

Its the way the car was made, they reduced the suspension travel and made it stiffer to get good handling.

Other tire choices may help a lot (when the crappy stock tires wear out).

I dont think I would have got a car like the TL for NYC, something much
softer (non sports car) would be what I would go with for city driving, and
something without low profile tires.

Brett
Old 09-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sAnFrAn_G
fuckin idiot!
your 3rd post on the board with this Attitude ? Try to put some positives responsive which would actually help people and not 2 words of foul language.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Which handles better, the ES or the TL?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Advanced

I used to own only sports cars so the ride is not objectionable but I must admit it is not good. My BMW had a nice isolating ride yet was great on the turns. Last weekend we bought a used 2003 Camry for my girlfriend and after driving it around I must admit I really prefer the ride over the TL. Sure, the Carmry doesn't handle nearly as well but it is soft and floaty and reminds me of the big american cars I used to drive when I dated my first girlfriend back in the early 80s. Anyway, I did test drive it so I knew what I was getting but 99% of the time you are not carving through chicanes and its that 99% of the time I find the Camry's ride to be much more enjoyable. Someties when I am driving a passenger in my TL it is almost like you have to apologize for the bump bump bump bump.....
Old 09-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Guys, first of all, thanks a ton for the feedback!!! Let me reply to everyone in this one post:

1. Yes, I did test drive the TL before I got it and I did not notice this level of bumpiness. This is my 4th car, and I've test driven all of my cars before buying them and spent quite a bit of time researching them.

And FYI: This bumpiness seems like it has gotten worse over time now. I do not remember my ride being this bumpy a few thousand miles ago.

2. I have a 2004 ABP w/ Quartz interior, w/ 24K miles on it.

3. The ES300 cannot handle like the TL does, but it is just a smoother car, which is to be expected since its a difference car altogether.

4. I do love my TL, I just wish it was less bumpy. And in addition to this bumpy thing annoying me, guess what?

My entire roof lining is come off!!! The dealer's first attempt at fixing this failed as the tape they used didn't work. So I am going in again next friday. Wish me luck.

Thanks again peeps!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:09 PM
TL User

It's not bumpy.... it's called having a sports-tuned suspension , meaning it's a lot stiffer and your average family sedan. My previous car was a '98 Prelude and I was pleasantly surprised that TL had similar feeling suspension as the Prelude did.

I also sometimes drive my wife's Camry and I understand why people may say that car is "comfortable" compared to TL. I can't feel the road worth a damn...

Again for the laymen....

Honda/Acura = fast and furious (for the most part)
Toyota/Lexus = soft and cudly (for the most part)
Old 09-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=ndx2]I do agree that you should've known exactly what you were getting, and I can't help but laugh at such complaint... call me an asshole, but just be ready to hear me calling you an idiot.

You can add me to this list, of people from nyc, who find the ride too harsh.
Like the poster who said he had a back problem, I can understand, I have a similar situation.
I have posted about this before, especialy in wheels and suspension forum.
I first tested the tl when it went to third generation, and loved it, and decided to wait, for edition two of third generation(05).
In the meantime, I was called by our Uncle Sam, once again, and spent a year and a half in Iraq. I injured myself during the deployment, but didnt know how badly till I was home a few months. I have some herniatiions on my disks, and some nerve impingements.
In the meantime, I went and test drove a new 05 tl, and still enjoyed it. Perhaps looking back, I should have test driven it in manhattan, as oppposed to some well paved roads in westchester county.
Now the harshness of the ride, I find unacceptable. I have taken the suggestion of some, and have lowered the air pressure of the stock michelins down about three pounds off maximun, with a little better ride, but not much.
Every pot hole, ding in the road, uneven surface, keeps a contant stream of unmuted road feedback to me. I do like the way it keeps you on track, but it beats me up after a while, and roads I would fly right over with my fifteen year old car, I am avoiding with the tl.
I am thinking that the tl, is maybee not the car to have when roads are bad. Its so bouncy, its even hard for me to adjust any controls, as my hands keep bouncing off the dials. And while the navi is excellent, the voice command understanding, I find falls way short.
So I have a car that costs over 30,000 dollars, and I have to wait, till I come to a stop, to get a radio station I want on the dial sometimes. Something not right with that.
I have recently tested a new m35x(infinity) price is about 10-15 thousand more then the tl. But what a ride. Every pothole, rut, looseness, is absorbed and muted by the car, while still giveing you the feedback on what the car is doing. I dont like the styling as much as the tl, but it also has more headroom, and legroom(at least for my ergonomics).
I know if I sell this car, and buy a new car, I am going to take a financial beating, but it may come down to that soon.
But meanwhile, everytime I see my tl, and I say, damn, what a nice car I am looking at, and then realize, thats my car,, its amazing.
There are so many positive things about the acura tl, and I think it almost perfect in every respect, but because of my situation, I am very frustrated.
It seems a lot of nyc tl drivers have posted on this board, without injuries, and are having the same complaint. When I see another tl, driver, I usually start up a converstation with them, and the two things I always hear, is "the car is fast" and when I ask about the suspension, they say its rough, and always on the lookout for potholes.
I have driven other sport sedands that compete with the tl, and none of them are so bad. I have driven the bmw, 3 and 5 series, audi 6,s, infiniti g35x, lexus equivalents and mercedes. I think none of them look as nice as the tl cockpit, but they all are sport sedans, and not as bone crushing.

Thanks flatfoot
Old 09-02-2005, 01:18 PM
10th Gear

have your tires checked...

My TL started vibrating pretty bad... The dealer said it was the tires. That the steel belts were seperating from the tire.

g'luck.

ja
Old 09-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by johndawg
My TL started vibrating pretty bad... The dealer said it was the tires. That the steel belts were seperating from the tire.

g'luck.

ja
I dont have a vibration problem with my car. In fact I really havent had any problems with the car.
My personal complaint, is that for me, this car transmits, way too much of the slightest imperfection in the road, without muting it.
I brought the car into dealership recently to have it checked out, and the car checks out 100 percent.
It almost reminds me, of driving a car , when the shocks are completely broken and gone, and bone jarring.
I know I am in the minority here, but perhaps the roads where you live, could have something to do, with the satisfaction quotient on the tl, at least when it comes to road imperfection supression.
I do understand that this is a sport sedan, but frankly I have never driven a car, that was this tight, and I have made it a point to drive every sport sedan I can, either at a dealer or a friends.
They even comment on the harshness of the ride, but they do like everything else on this car.

Thanks flatfoot
Old 09-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Instructor

I actually think the suspension is too soft and feels floaty...
Old 09-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Shift_faster

^ I think the stock suspension is both stiff & floaty at the same time. Like it has shorter travel, but soft shocks.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think the ride is nice but it was a bad move for me to put s-tech springs on the stock shocks. in LA i have be super careful of potholes/bumps. I like how the springs put a nice stance on the car but eversince then im feeling more bumps from all sorts of places i didn't before when it was oem.

For the people in NYC i would consider getting a 50 series tire to take in more impact.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

This is my first post as I've had my TL for 3 weeks now. I agree that the ride is pretty "bumpy". I concerned for my passengers, esp. my 3 month old son being bounced around. How much of a difference will the Aspec suspension make on the ride quality. Will you still feel every imperfection in the road. I love the car, but wish the ride quality was a little better. It's tolerable, but sometimes annoying.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:05 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

My parents knows nothing about cars think TL has bumpier ride than Ford Taurus. Which is probably true.

But would you sacrifice handling for that because TL is already softer than G35s and 350zs and 3 Series I heard.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Instructor

flatfoot - thanks for the comments!

On another note, I will be a father in a few months and that is actually one of my concerns, with how bouncy and rugged this drive feels, I wonder if its safe for a newborn?

I think that the fact that everyone is saying the ride is bumpy or some of you are using different verbage to describe it as "sporty" - the fact is that it is way too bumpy.

I have also driven a 2003 M5 and a 3 series and those cars are pretty sporty, probably more so than the TL and the ride is no where near as bumpy on them.

So some of you who are calling us idiots and what not, maybe you just haven't driven the tl on NYC streets.

Anyway, I guess I will just have to deal with it for another 24 months as I give it back in 9/2007. Can't wait to get a bimmer - which I will put more through the grinder before leasing/buying.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I personally don't think its that bumpy. Maybe you should get your struts checked. We just got rid of a ford taurus, thats not nearly as nice a ride as the TL. Aspec will make your ride bumpier. If you are bouncing your shocks are shot.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:17 PM
6MT & LSD

I used to drive my TL in Michigan... and although I haven't driven in NYC (but I've been there when I was younger and wasn't driving), I can say that MI roads are horrible... not all, but most, and I never thought the ride was too bumpy.

The TL is not "way too bumpy." It's way too bumpy for you, and if it's that big of an issue, invest it aftermarket shocks and new comfort-oriented tires. Complaining won't get you anywhere.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Sorry for not being more explicit Mike_TX; I meant on the max end of the normal range. Which is (for me) 34 PSI and not the 44 PSI for max load that's on the tire! I can't imagine what the ride would be at 44 PSI...

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
When you say "on the max end", I hope you don't mean the maximum pressure molded into the sidewall of the tire. (...)
Old 09-02-2005, 07:33 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
strange, i'm in a TSX and I want something much stiffer/rougher...to each his own.

Quick Reply: TL is so friggin bumpy!!!!!