TL in the shop... I get to drive a TSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007 | 11:42 AM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by thegabrielles
The TSX sunroof control is ridiculous!!! What in te world were they thinking e=when they put it there? And the fact that its not one touch open. It took me about an hour in the car before I found it, because I just never thought to look in front of my left knee.
My 1988 Acura Integra and a 1995 Civic had their sunroof switches placed there as well (where the outside mirror switch is located). The sunroof was on option packages on those cars, and the lower dash was where blank switch plates were located. I assume that might be the case for the TSX as well-- it's the non-US Accord, so if the sunroof is an option on the Euro/Asian Honda Accords, that would explain the switch location. The TL has a sunroof as a standard feature, so switch placement was already planned for the most ergonomic/logical place.
Old 05-17-2007 | 12:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ImPoRtHoNdA
so you dont have to sign up for anything? you just request for a loaner car? because my brothers MDX is making these same types of noises, and we where just wondering how to get the loaner car.
Yes you do have to sign a loan agreement, provide a copy of your Driver's Liscense and proof of insurance. Again its a dealership thing so unless you call and ask your dealership there is no gaurantee. The Loaner is no cost, you just have to fill er up when you bring it back.

I dont know about the sunroof option allowing for poor planning. Now if it was aftermarket I might agree. There is a space in the overhead console like the TL where a simular switch could be placed. Its opinion thing anyway, I personnally dont think it is a good location for the switch. I could see that there could be a blank switchpiece ther and they figured why not use it, but the TSX is still supposed to be a step ahead because its an Acura not a Honda, I think they could have planned better.

Yes, a V-6 or a V-8 is important to me as well, that would definitely be a reason I dont own the TSX. That being said, I own the TL and a 381HP Tundra.... power is something I like. But if I am going racing neither will do the job for me, its mustang time with 533hp, but the gas mileage sucks
Old 05-17-2007 | 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

I would take a slightly slower car that handles better over a slightly faster car with lesser handling capabilities. The TL feels very stable at high speed, but I like to be able to fling my car around corners fast. I don't have a TL-S so a TSX isn't that much of a difference to me in terms of power for me either. Plus lotsa mods for the TSX. I was just looking at them last night on Acura's site and really love the styling and features of that car a lot. Def. something I may consider for my next ride in the future. Not bashing the TL though.

Also, my leather is cracked in the same spot, but I'm waiting till near the end of my warranty to fix it. It's very minor and I do clean and condition it as well.
Old 05-17-2007 | 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh the TSX seats only have leather in the center portion, but it's that nice perforated kinda of leather, same on the door panel. Looks great. Just don't sit on anything that can rip through those holes. A simple rivet from your jeans can tear that stuff apart if your not careful.
Old 05-17-2007 | 12:26 PM
Racer

I have been driving (its actually my wifes car) a TL either 04 or 05 for three years now, if I look at a TSX it looks like a TL. Yes there are differences but they are very simular looking cars. I used to Autocross and to me if I am cornering, I want rear wheel drive. The TL would be that much more popular if it was RWD. A lighter car can make up a lot of time in Autocross. The accelerate better, corner better, and stop better, but you throw ina few extra ponies and the ability to use it and I will take the extra power. It may not always be faster, but its normally more fun.
Old 05-17-2007 | 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by thegabrielles
Yes you do have to sign a loan agreement, provide a copy of your Driver's Liscense and proof of insurance. Again its a dealership thing so unless you call and ask your dealership there is no gaurantee. The Loaner is no cost, you just have to fill er up when you bring it back.

I dont know about the sunroof option allowing for poor planning. Now if it was aftermarket I might agree. There is a space in the overhead console like the TL where a simular switch could be placed. Its opinion thing anyway, I personnally dont think it is a good location for the switch. I could see that there could be a blank switchpiece ther and they figured why not use it, but the TSX is still supposed to be a step ahead because its an Acura not a Honda, I think they could have planned better.

Yes, a V-6 or a V-8 is important to me as well, that would definitely be a reason I dont own the TSX. That being said, I own the TL and a 381HP Tundra.... power is something I like. But if I am going racing neither will do the job for me, its mustang time with 533hp, but the gas mileage sucks
Fortunately, my dealer has never required me to fill gas back up in the loaner.
Old 05-17-2007 | 01:12 PM
Racer

Mine use dto do that when we first bought the TL but I guess with gas the way it is it got quite costly, personally I am just glad they offer a loaner, I have no problem putting in the gas I use.
Old 05-17-2007 | 02:02 PM
Pro

[QUOTE=
The TSX sunroof control is ridiculous!!! What in te world were they thinking e=when they put it there? And the fact that its not one touch open. It took me about an hour in the car before I found it, because I just never thought to look in front of my left knee. The Nav in the TSX is nice and seems to have more features than my 05TL. I have not found any of the controls to be difficult to get to.[/QUOTE]

Actually that sunroof control is typical Honda. My wife's 01 Accord has it and my daughter's old 95 civic had it that way. I do hate the placement of it.

Dave
Old 05-18-2007 | 12:11 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=dmarcus48]
Originally Posted by
The TSX sunroof control is ridiculous!!! What in te world were they thinking e=when they put it there? And the fact that its not one touch open. It took me about an hour in the car before I found it, because I just never thought to look in front of my left knee. The Nav in the TSX is nice and seems to have more features than my 05TL. I have not found any of the controls to be difficult to get to.[/QUOTE

Actually that sunroof control is typical Honda. My wife's 01 Accord has it and my daughter's old 95 civic had it that way. I do hate the placement of it.

Dave
Actually, Honda has put it on the left side of the steering wheel for over 15 years. My Mom's 2001 Accord EX had it there. They put it down there so that you don't have to worry about getting your fingers caught in the sunroof while closing it (not that I could ever imagine doing this). It is time for them to rethink this now that most cars (especially with the auto close feature) have 'pinch protection' on the sunroof and windows.
Old 05-18-2007 | 03:57 PM
Racer

I think the control is just fine, its a little different than the TL but nothing I could not get used to, its just the location that is kind of uinique.

By the way, I got a call from Acura Today, the wrong parts came in for the TL so its going to be Monday or Tuesday before I get the TL back. Glad we have the loaner!!!!!
Old 05-18-2007 | 07:23 PM
Acuras Only in

I think you have to compare oranges to oranges, in the same year model also. 05TL vs. 05TSX or 06TL vs. 06TSX ... etc .. etc ...

07TL type-s for sure has more gadgets than the TSX, or else Acura can't justify the 5-7k price difference in these two ... not to mention that Tl is roomier ...
Old 05-18-2007 | 07:40 PM
Racer

I really started this thread not as a comparison between the two, its just that I was very impressed at the amount of gadgets in the TSX, especially the ones it had that my TL does not. I certainly understand that the TSX is not in the same catagory. Its still an impressive car, and really is not that small. I acgree with one of the earlier posts, it really seems to big for a 4-banger. (I am imbelishing on the comment but that was the idea) The 4-cyl is impressive for the car it is powering and I think the whole set-up works pretty good. I would love to have things like intant MPg displayed while I am driving, kinda keeps your right foot lighter. But I would never trade the TL for a TSX or think they could be compared one for one.
Old 05-19-2007 | 06:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dmarcus48
I actually had the same experience last week. Car was in for it's 7500 mile service and they gave me a TSX, Black with tan interior. I'm a big guy, 6'5", 245lbs. I was fairly impressed with the TSX, it's a nice car. Handles well, seems lighter, more nimble than the TL, BUT the TL definitely has better low end torque and is a lot faster. The TL feels heavier on the road. I would still pick the TL over the TSX in a heart beat. BUT the TSX would be a great car for the wife. I didn't check out the rear seating but the front was fine for me. I do believe that the TL has a better stereo system as well (but that's just my impression). One thing I did notice was that the auto/manual shift on the TSX seems better. When I use the manual (LOL) mode of my TL it's not a immediate shift, the TSX was instant, much more snap. Anyone else notice this?

Dave

the tl shifts slower to get a smoother ride.
Old 05-22-2007 | 09:11 PM
Racer

Just to update everyome, the TL is still in the shop...

They ordered all new parts for the inside of the Passenger rear door and pretty much everything in the other two doors. First, they got the wrong part in and now they are missing two of the seals. I think its a problem of how dealerships do business not just a problem with my dealership. Seems like they order what they think will fix it and then take it apartto fix it and realize they need more parts. The leather is new for the drivers seat but I dont believe its installed yet. I will be calling agian tomorrow to see how things are going but it will probbaly be a couple more days before I get the car back. Just in time for the car to sit in the garage for two and half weeks while we are on vacation. At this point I am really glad for the rental otherwise I would be racking up quite the bill for a "real" rental car.