Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tl put away for winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tl put away for winter

It was a sad day last monday. 6 '' of snow means I'm done driving my Tl until spring. The thought of road salt on my car would be to much to take. Anyone else doing the same when the salt trucks come out?
Old 12-24-2004, 11:04 AM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am sorry but I bought my Tl to drive everyday. I don't see it as being so valuable, or un-safe in the snow (we never get it though) where I would park it.
Glad to see you really value your car.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:17 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I do not have another car, so the answer is no.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:21 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i will take bus when it is snowing~
Old 12-24-2004, 11:46 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Cars are for driving. When they get old and rusty, new cars are readily available for purchase for continued driving.

I don't sweat it.

Mike
Old 12-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Sounds good to me. When I had my TL, I drove my Jeep when it rained or snowed.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dobber
It was a sad day last monday. 6 '' of snow means I'm done driving my Tl until spring. The thought of road salt on my car would be to much to take. Anyone else doing the same when the salt trucks come out?
Yep. Pretty much.

I have a rusty '87 Dodge as a "station car" and my Solara as a daily driver, so I don't intend to get the TL salty. We had salt on the roads from some snow early this week, but the heavy rainfall probably washed most of it away. If so, the TL will come out this weekend.

My Solara was the garaged car when I had my '93 Camry, but it got evicted to garage the TL. Monday marked the FIRST TIME in six years of ownership that the Solara got salt on it!

Happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Instructor

I don't stop driving the TL when it snows either. To echo the sentiments of LessisBestmakingendsmeet, I bought the TL to drive everyday. Also, it isn't like it is a rear-wheel drive sports car with summer tires that would suck in the snow. Quite the contrary actually. It actually drives MUCH better in the snow than our 2000 Civic.

Front wheel drive, traction control, ABS, 6MT and Michelins (oddly enough) seem to all come together to make for a very controlled drive in the snow. I am, however, extremely comfortable driving in the snow.

I did extensively clear bra it and have mud flaps (gasp!!), but that is it. I take reasonable precautions, but it is just a car. A very nice car that I love to drive, but a car none the less. Just my humble opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Instructor

When it snows I drive my SUV as well.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:07 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by producrdel
When it snows I drive my SUV as well.
We had too much snow to drive either our SUV or the TL
Old 12-24-2004, 04:05 PM
Instructor

I won't say it's put away for the winter, but it is in the garage with a cover on it right now. When the snow melts and the roads are dry, I'll take it out again. I won't sweat a little dry salt dust, but I don't want in the snow and slush. I have a '96 Toyota Avalon with 170k miles that I drive in bad weather. I hope to replace it soon with a '94-95 Legend. I've always liked those. To each his own. I just like to know that when the sun comes out, I can give it a quick spray and wipe with Zaino Z6 and be on the road in a clean car...
Old 12-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Mile High

Umm I got my TL for the purpose of driving year round. It has seen the worst of elements and im not scared of that.

a TL is not like a Porsche or Ferrari where it makes sense to keep it garaged during the winter.

also people with S500s dont even garage their cars. $80,000 cars arent even garaged why garage a $30,000 car over the winter
Old 12-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Team Nighthawk-C.M.A.

Originally Posted by OmegaTL
Take it with a grain of salt.
Salt, hmm... don't they use sand in CO?
Old 12-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jobes
Salt, hmm... don't they use sand in CO?

Lived in Colorado Springs for 5 years. They use small rocks, not sand. One of the reasons that Colorado is the land of replaced windshields and high insurance rates. The other is the hail storms that can come up on a moments notice. I have a 1996 Toyota Avalon that I bought in Motor City on the south side of the Springs. I drive it when the weather is bad not because of the Acura being incapable of managing the weather here. I keep it safe in the garage when it snows because of the idiots that don't know how to drive in the snow. Your baby can still get hit and hurt even if you do everything right. Otherwise the car is for driving and putting it away for 3 plus months is something I will not do.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:20 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy88
Umm I got my TL for the purpose of driving year round. It has seen the worst of elements and im not scared of that.

a TL is not like a Porsche or Ferrari where it makes sense to keep it garaged during the winter.

also people with S500s dont even garage their cars. $80,000 cars arent even garaged why garage a $30,000 car over the winter

Because he can.......... The man values his car and has other transportation.

Just because I see a guy driving his Enzo down the street in a snow storm doesn't tell me one should be driving his $30K TL. It just tells me he must have a ton of money and likes to drive the Enzo.. For many of us with more "modest" incomes, we purchased a nice car, have an open garage space, and heck - why drive the TL in nasty conditions if my other "not as nice" car is available..?

Dobber wasn't looking for theories, values, and beliefs of why he shouldn't... He was stating the simple fact that his TL was now hibernating until better conditions.

Merry Xmas all!
Old 12-24-2004, 06:44 PM
Intermediate

My corvette goes in the garage till spring. But the TL? A front wheel drive luxury sport sedan? I drive it all year around. With studded tires on all four wheels that puppy will go anywhere.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I don't even drive my TL to work on days when we have thunderstorms since those can mean heavy winds (flying debris) and possible hail. So ice or snow (which mean sand and salt) is out of the question. Our ever-reliable Ford Ranger pickup comes to the rescue for those times.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Intermediate

Well put KJSmitty. I do have a "not as nice car to drive" a 93 Ford Probe with some snow tires on it. Why drive the TL when I can drive that thing. It's not only the outside of the car that gets messed up but the inside too. One winter of getting in and out, each time dragging in more salty slush and mud, and your interior is never the same.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Advanced

One winter of getting in and out, each time dragging in more salty slush and mud, and your interior is never the same.
I have already gone through a hard winter last year, but the interior is exactly the same!!! Well, the reason I bought this car is to drive the s*** out of it, for the next couple of years. And if everything goes according to plan, then I will get the italian car with the fork in front to drive the s*** out of it as well
Old 12-27-2004, 03:44 PM
At least I'm housebroken.

Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
I am sorry but I bought my Tl to drive everyday. I don't see it as being so valuable, or un-safe in the snow (we never get it though) where I would park it.
Glad to see you really value your car.
I hear Wisconsin gets quite a bit more snow than Georgia.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Racer

Rather than trade in my 98 CL when I bought my 04 TL this spring I just kept it to drive when it snows.

I'm not parking my TL for the winter but I'm just not driving it when the roads are snowy, salty or filled with potholes. I'll sell the CL in the spring but I want to keep my TL nice for at least one year if I can!
Old 12-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Zorro

My TL has been winter napping for about a month now. As soon as salt hits the road , the car is off the road. Hell I don't drive in the rain if I don't have to.
If I only kept the car a couple of years, or I made the big bucks like alot of guys on the forum, or lived in the south, I'd think of driving year round. But truthfully it's not the best car in the world to drive in the snow. Low ground clearance and to much juice!! All wheel drive would be preferred!!
It sure feels good knowing it's save in the garage, when the car behind you is sliding into you, because they can't stop. Not to speak of the scratches in the finish from brushing the ice and snow from the car!! Spring is not that far away!!
Old 12-28-2004, 05:21 AM
Advanced

If you are going to "put it away" until Spring then you should invest $29 in battery maintainer. All of the computers and their voltage requirements for the memories will drain the battery if the car is not driven. The "maintainer" should not be confused for a battery charger.

Originally Posted by Whiteowl
My TL has been winter napping for about a month now. As soon as salt hits the road , the car is off the road. Hell I don't drive in the rain if I don't have to.
If I only kept the car a couple of years, or I made the big bucks like alot of guys on the forum, or lived in the south, I'd think of driving year round. But truthfully it's not the best car in the world to drive in the snow. Low ground clearance and to much juice!! All wheel drive would be preferred!!
It sure feels good knowing it's save in the garage, when the car behind you is sliding into you, because they can't stop. Not to speak of the scratches in the finish from brushing the ice and snow from the car!! Spring is not that far away!!
Old 12-28-2004, 05:23 AM
Intermediate

My TL is also napping, I put it away 2 weeks ago. I plan on driving it whenever the roads are free and clear of salt, and parking it again when it snows. I drive a 97' Pontiac Grand AM beater with 175,000 miles on it when the TL is parked. I went so far as putting the TL on wheel dollys so I can move it around in the garage.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Advanced

Rain, sleet or snow, my TL will by my side
Old 12-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Zorro

batting_cleanup,
Thanks for the input, it's been on the battery maintainer since I took it off the road. I have been storing cars for the winter for years, I use to pull the batteries and reset every function in the car in the spring, that got old in a hurry! Now it ready to rock in no time flat!
Old 12-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Car Addict

I should take a picture of all the salt on my 05 TL. It is the daily driver and I have a low 10 secone 98 Firebird that is my hobby car. But the TL is gonna get some mods too and I am going to try to get it into the 13.9's at the track next year.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Drifting

I have a Honda DelSol with 100,000+ miles that I drive daily. My TL doesn't see any salt. Currently, It's in my garage with a cover and will stay that way until the roads are cleaned of salt and slush. I don't make enough money to purchase a new car every other year, and intend to keep my TL looking like new for many years to come. I wish I had the luxury of being able to drive it daily, but the Honda is OK for that purpose.