Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The TL is going back to the dealer again

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Taistella Jokerit!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The TL is going back to the dealer again

I have owned my 04 TL now for 2.5 months (2,200 miles), and it is going back to the dealer for the third time.. for the same problem's.
The problem's are nothing new, and have been discussed here quite a bit (Rattling coming from the door's, and center console. Door, and rear speakers rattling/vibration noise. Memory setting's not working etc. All problem's of which Acura are aware of, and have bulletin's regarding them). Now I am to the point of considering trading the car in.
The last time the dealer had my car, they gave me an RSX as a rental, and spent 3 days trying to fix the problem's. When I got my car back, the problem's had not only gotten worse, but there was a new noise coming from the center console. This one is loud, and can be heard by simply raising the RPM's while sitting still. The door's are so loud now, that they can no longer be drowned out by simply turning up the stereo. Which now creates a whole new problem, with the speaker vibration.
I love the TL, and all it's great features, but I am to the point where I can't stand driving it.
I am curious to know if other's who have had similar problem's were able to have them solved to their satisfaction?

Thank you for your feedback
Old 03-21-2004, 04:00 PM
Instructor

trade it in if you don't like the rattles..all cars have rattles here and there..if they are bothering you just trade in the car buddy
Old 03-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Taistella Jokerit!

Originally posted by achadha100
trade it in if you don't like the rattles..all cars have rattles here and there..if they are bothering you just trade in the car buddy
I am hoping that is doesn't come to that. Again, my question is, "I am curious to know if other's who have had similar problem's were able to have them solved to their satisfaction?"

Thanks
Old 03-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go to a good audio shop, give them $4-500 and let them dynomat everything. Console, headliner, behind dash.............
Make the car quieter and stop rattleing. Might be a good investemnt.

Keep calling and complaining to Acura and dealership

Doesn't sound like your rattles are minor
Might consider talking to a lawyer if they really are that bad
Old 03-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by J0KER
I am hoping that is doesn't come to that. Again, my question is, "I am curious to know if other's who have had similar problem's were able to have them solved to their satisfaction?"

Thanks
Yes. Other folks are having rattle problems too! In my particular case, it's the moonroof and an extremely loud rattle from the rear truck area.

My car is currently in the shop (for the third time also) for noise related issues!

My take on this whole thing is that it's a first year production car, and this is something that just has to be worked out! My dealer's service dept has been good about taking care of me, and I don't mind a couple extra trips to the dealer with the car is "young". My Anthracite / Ebony / Navi TL kicks butt and I have no intention of trading it before 100,000+ miles !!!

Good luck getting your rattles fixed! I understand how annoying the can be ....
Old 03-21-2004, 07:54 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

I too have had rattle issues. Mine were in the steering wheel and guage cluster area. 3 dealer attempts failed. i finally licked the problem in the tail by investigating and figuring out they did solve my rattle the first time around, BUT they did not put the car back together properly inducing a different rattle. The problem I found out was the air vent on the drivers side was not pushed in all the way and was rattling like mad. I simply pulled it out and pushed it back in. NO MORE RATTLE! Maybe you should try this as well as you have a rattle in the same area. Also, I had minimal, very occasional rattle from the rear of the car. What I did was push my headliner up everywhere in the car - it was lose in some spots. I did the same for the rear deck, but pushed down. I also pushed the velvety material on both the front and rear pillars of the car. this made sure everything was properly secured and my car is quiet now. So in short, what I am saying is you need to take things into your own hands and just doubt check everything is secure. Only problem is it won't help with your center counsel rattle. Your stuck letting the dealer work that one out. Have you considered a different dealership looking at the car? Some are better than others.

TheNip
Old 03-21-2004, 08:03 PM
Burning Brakes

NOT all cars have rattles, my previous 4 cars were rattle free and cost less than the TL. This car is supposed to be of superiour quality, the rattles indicate otherwise.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:10 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Originally posted by Norse396
NOT all cars have rattles, my previous 4 cars were rattle free and cost less than the TL. This car is supposed to be of superiour quality, the rattles indicate otherwise.
I concur. However, you can't be too anal. Some noise has acceptable on bumpy roads. By noise I mean an occasional creak in the rear deck or dash when the car is "flexing" or has been jolted. A rattle is different beast and always occurs - that is unacceptable, especially for this cost of vehicle.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

TheNip73,

Agreed 100%, my car seems to like to rattle only when the dealer isn't nearby. So far each time I've taken the car in the rattles just go away a few miles before I get there. It makes me laugh as I pull into the dealers service department to have them hear them.

Thankfully my mechanic knows how to duplicate them without driving the car, seems he's had a lot of experience with rattle prone TL's. He says the car itself is great (on the record and off) but he can't understand why almost all new TL's have the same rattles. First year design flaws I guess, next time I wait until the second year before leaping in.

All that said I'm proud everytime I walk up to the car, it's one heck of a looker!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Pro

Originally posted by achadha100
Don't blow this off so casualy! You can only understand the tremendous annoyance once you have one of these rattles. My car is in the shop today for the seat memory module replacement and two rattles. One of them is absolutelly unbearable! It's coming from the area of the passenger dooor's handle and it's loud and persistent. It sounds like a big piece of plastic loose inside the door.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Rattles -- Should I buy?

Modeler,

Sorry to hear you're having to go through this. I, too agree that this is simply unacceptable for a new car, let alone a $35,000 car.

Did you have the problem when you drove it off the lot or is this something that occured later down the road?

Is this fairly common? -- I'm considering buying the TL and this doesn't sound good to me at all.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:02 PM
Pro

Re: Rattles -- Should I buy?

Originally posted by aggie
Modeler,

Sorry to hear you're having to go through this. I, too agree that this is simply unacceptable for a new car, let alone a $35,000 car.

Did you have the problem when you drove it off the lot or is this something that occured later down the road?

Is this fairly common? -- I'm considering buying the TL and this doesn't sound good to me at all.
It started about a month after I got the car. I just can an update from the dealer: they have ordered a new door panel which they hope would eliminate the rattle. I sure hope so.

Yes, rattles are common for the new TL because it's an Acura tradition to have rattles in the first year of the model production. I had exactly the same issues when I bought 2000 TL at the beginning of the 2nd generation TL production. It had couple creaks and rattles that dealer was never able to resolve and couple that they did.

I can take an occasional creak or squeek due to car flexing on bad road, but not a persistent rattle.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Intermediate

so there's really no way for me to know if i get a squeeky car huh?
Old 03-22-2004, 04:39 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by aggie
so there's really no way for me to know if i get a squeeky car huh?
Not until it starts squeaking and creaking and rattling when you drive it!
Old 03-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

My glove-box knows that it's getting replaced this week so it's going out of its way to announce itself as loudly as possible.

This of course has my wife in stitches.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

I wonder how many people have had the same issue..
Old 03-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Taistella Jokerit!

Thank you for all of your replies.
My door is also so loud that I no longer enjoy driving my car. I used to be able to turn up the radio to a reasonable volume, and it would drowned out the door noise. But now I have a whole new set of speaker vibrations/rattles to where I can no longer even enjoy listening to the radio. This happens when I turn the radio up to 4/5, which by all means is not loud.
The vibration from the center counsel is constant while the car is at idle, and gets louder as you drive the car. This noise ironically started when I picked up my car for the second time to have these matter fixed.
I am now waiting on Acura to have one of their loaners come back in, and then I'll be dropping my car off for the third, and final time. I have stated that I want them to keep it as long as it takes them to fix all of the rattles/vibrations/noises, and I do not want it back until then.
I understand that this is the first year of production, and that this is typical.. But on the other hand I have no intentions of paying Acura $35K for them to do R&D on my car on an ongoing basis.
Sorry to rant, but I am just extremely frustrated...
Old 03-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Does anyone read this

Joker,

I didn’t read through all the posts but might I suggest a different dealer.
I had problems with rattle in the rear deck lid from the bass, center console rattle. Glove box rattle and memory seat issue.

I took it to the place I bought it and they where the worst service department ever (Cush Acura Escondido, don’t ever go there) Then I took it to a different Acura dealer (Hoehn Acura) and they fixed all problems on the first try.

Now I have a rattle free car and love it. Don’t give up on the car because they can be fixed. I think your issue is the service dept of your dealer.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Does anyone read this

Sh!t I just noticed that you live in So-cal where did you buy you car?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:17 PM
Taistella Jokerit!

Originally posted by Donte99TL
Sh!t I just noticed that you live in So-cal where did you buy you car?
Tustin Acura
Old 07-21-2007, 12:47 PM
7th Gear

Hoehn Screwed my car all up, 9 diffenent incidents of damage:
scratched Paint on front and rear passengers quarter panels
broken carbon fiber parts
torn door seals
gouged kick plate in the rear right door
torn material on edges of glove box
deep scratches in plastic on rear vent (just beneath rear window)
cracked plastic housing that surrounds the safety hook on drivers side behind the rear headrest

an unbolted center console and trim pieces lying on the floor when it was supposed to be ready for pick up

All this was actually discovered, when I went in to pick it up after they told me it was "ready to be picked up" BY THE SERVICE MANAGER!

During the month of June 2007, the service department at Hoehn had my car for almost a month.

Yesterday, I went in to have the glove box replaced due to the damage they did to my car, and the service manager told me that "because they (Hoehn Acura) don't meet my standards, they wont be doing any work there for me anymore" I told him: "There are still damaged parts on my car that you guys did when it was in for service!" and he said: "Im sorry, that was done by the other dealerhsip that previously worked on your car (Acura of Mission Viejo), you'll have to go back to them to have the repairs done, or to another dealership like Acura of Escondido. Later in our conversation, he actually said this: and I quote, "What we did for you was a gift, you came to us with problems from another dealership, and we tried to correct the problems (dash and rear deck rattles). He actually said that them working on my car was a "GIFT"! What arrogance! I told him, "No sir, it is warranty work, and as an Acura Dealer, you are required to honor that, especially since you did the damage in the first place" then he just shrugged his shoulders and walked away from me with a grin on his face, and said: "have a nice weekend".

So you do the math...
Old 07-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Slicker Than Your Average

That's Acura service for you. The bastards at DCH Montclair Acura scratched up my 2007 TL when I took it in for service. Open Road Acura on Route 23 sucks donkey testicles too. Anyone know how Acura of Denville is?
Old 07-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by S L I C K
That's Acura service for you. The bastards at DCH Montclair Acura scratched up my 2007 TL when I took it in for service. Open Road Acura on Route 23 sucks donkey testicles too. Anyone know how Acura of Denville is?
Sorry to hear about your scratch..My TSX is the same ..it's the same poor dealer service just about every where I go in Maryland. They scratched up my TSX when they were fixing my windshield spray nozzle. And this was not the first time they have broken stuff on my TSX. Good luck to you bud... I am waiting for 2008 135i..
Old 07-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Slicker Than Your Average

Originally Posted by acutsx
Sorry to hear about your scratch..My TSX is the same ..it's the same poor dealer service just about every where I go in Maryland. They scratched up my TSX when they were fixing my windshield spray nozzle. And this was not the first time they have broken stuff on my TSX. Good luck to you bud... I am waiting for 2008 135i..
I'm scared to take my car to any Acura dealership now. The Nissan dealership down the street takes much better care of my sister's 2002 Altima when she takes it in for service. Acura will never be on the same level as Lexus, BMW, etc. because of this crap. I gave Acura a chance by purchasing a 2007 TL, but this is definitely my last Acura. I will never consider another Acura again.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Instructor

did they fix your stratch back?

I'm scared to take my car to any Acura dealership now. The Nissan dealership down the street takes much better care of my sister's 2002 Altima when she takes it in for service. Acura will never be on the same level as Lexus, BMW, etc. because of this crap. I gave Acura a chance by purchasing a 2007 TL, but this is definitely my last Acura. I will never consider another Acura again.
Did they repair the stratch they made afterwards?
Old 07-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i must admit that my 04tl sounds like a piece of shit from the inside. thats why i put in a loud ass sound system this way i wouldnt have to hear all those ugly noises.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by chickenpluck
Hoehn Screwed my car all up, 9 diffenent incidents of damage:
scratched Paint on front and rear passengers quarter panels
broken carbon fiber parts
torn door seals
gouged kick plate in the rear right door
torn material on edges of glove box
deep scratches in plastic on rear vent (just beneath rear window)
cracked plastic housing that surrounds the safety hook on drivers side behind the rear headrest

an unbolted center console and trim pieces lying on the floor when it was supposed to be ready for pick up

All this was actually discovered, when I went in to pick it up after they told me it was "ready to be picked up" BY THE SERVICE MANAGER!

During the month of June 2007, the service department at Hoehn had my car for almost a month.

Yesterday, I went in to have the glove box replaced due to the damage they did to my car, and the service manager told me that "because they (Hoehn Acura) don't meet my standards, they wont be doing any work there for me anymore" I told him: "There are still damaged parts on my car that you guys did when it was in for service!" and he said: "Im sorry, that was done by the other dealerhsip that previously worked on your car (Acura of Mission Viejo), you'll have to go back to them to have the repairs done, or to another dealership like Acura of Escondido. Later in our conversation, he actually said this: and I quote, "What we did for you was a gift, you came to us with problems from another dealership, and we tried to correct the problems (dash and rear deck rattles). He actually said that them working on my car was a "GIFT"! What arrogance! I told him, "No sir, it is warranty work, and as an Acura Dealer, you are required to honor that, especially since you did the damage in the first place" then he just shrugged his shoulders and walked away from me with a grin on his face, and said: "have a nice weekend".

So you do the math...
Sorry to hear your bad service from Acura dealer. If I were you, I’ll write done his name and file a report with Acura. If there are enough complains, he will have to deal with the Acura headquarter. I am sure his attitude will greatly improve.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:31 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Granted, almost every car has some rattle issues, but the # of various types of rattles on the # of 3G TL's posted in this forum over the last few years is inexcusable. I myself had 10 (TEN) dealer visits in the 1st 16 months for roof rattles alone. Now after 3 years and 33,000 miles, the f**kin roof is rattling again! It's abundantly clear that Acura cut corners on the assembly line to save money. Notice how RL and TSX owners don't have as many rattle complaints? Guess what...their cars were assembled where ours should have been ....... IN JAPAN!

My ex-Accord, an '89 SE-i coupe had 3 service visits in 15 years to the sunroof shop that installed that aftermarket roof, only ONE of which was for rattling.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts
I will never consider another Acura again.
SLICK we get your point. Every damn post from you has been negative.

Please use this forum as a way to fix your problem not as a tool to vent anymore.

Its getting freaking annoying.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:58 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive brought mine to the dealer for right front door panel and passenger seat rattles, they fixed them. Then a couple weeks later the gauge cluster and driver front door panel started rattling so i took them apart myself and packed them with foam, seemed to fix them. But since then both the drivers and passenger door panels started rattling again, looks like i am going to have to take them apart and try applying some more foam! This is a well known problem for most tl's, but other than that i love the car!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:51 PM
7th Gear

Yeah, they fixed the scratches....but now I have the glass/vent, and broken plastic housing issues to deal with and they aren't accepting responsibility for it.
As far as contacting Acura Client Services, I have, and I have a case that's been open since the paint job issue. I called them last week regarding my latest problem with the dealership, and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'll post again after I get some answers from them. Basically, I just want my car back in it's original, pre-damaged condition, and I'm asking them to authorize another dealership besides Hoehn to do it.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Advanced

I was sick and tired of the rattles and i sold mine. I know how you feel.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Racer

save yourself the time and money and fix the rattles on your own. So far DCH Montclair forgot a few lugnuts and I still pull to the left. I'll wait until my first oil change and get it done all at once. hope things go well with your car, chickenpluck

did anyone else notice this thread being risen from 2004?