Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL Extended Warranty

What are your thoughts on the 50,000 mile warranty?

I put tons o' miles on a car. I've been quoted $1,749 to bump the 50k warranty to 100k. I think it is well worth this for the 'factory' warranty. Espec. with a 6spd/navigation........

Thoughts?

Others had this priced out?

Thanks

Pete
Old 12-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Try this link. Seems cheaper, I'm not sure of the relationship between Curry and Acura, though...

http://www.curryacuracare.com/#
Old 12-21-2003, 07:25 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I was quoted $1,130 for the same warranty

I'm not a big extended warranty guy but when the finance guy saw me passing on all those add ons, maybe he got aggrssive with the only thing I expressed any interest in...100K warranty = $1,130 on my NAVI. I passed at the time because I don't like to pay for something until I need it. Maybe when the car has 48K on it, I'll reconsider. But 100K warranty on a honda is not an issue. They all easily go over 100K with no problems now-a-days.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
elroy: Curry is an Acura dealership.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I bought the extended warranty cause this is a first year car with ton's of gadgets. $1749 seems high though, and I would try and negotiate that figure down a bit with your dealer ....
Old 12-21-2003, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

RavnHk , I agree. This is the main reason I was curious about bumping to 100k. The navi/stereo/voice command computer, etc could be a HUGE hit at 50,001 miles.

What did you pay?
Old 12-21-2003, 08:39 PM
Does anyone read this

I got my Extended Warranty for $900 through Acura.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

I dont no if were you live makes a difference in price but I was offered the 100k for about 1100 if I remeber correctly
Old 12-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Cruisin'

Print out the Curry Quote and ask the dealer to match it. Thats what I did. You could also ask them to beat it. Remember in some states there is sales tax to consider as well.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:59 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Refundable 100K warranty

I bought a Acura Care Pack for $1895 for 7 Yr/ 100K. They will refund anytime prorated if cancelled. If not used can get a full refund at the end of 7 years. If needed during 7 years it covers all parts and labor with any Acura dealer. Only thing I'll have to pay is consumable parts like filters, oil, tires etc. I bought in case if needed for the 1st year model.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:29 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

7 years unused = 100% refund, REALLY???

Jonj... FULL refund after 7 years. Don't think so...Are you certain that's an Acura warranty? I didn't see any details of a certain 100% refund after 7 years. I understand the 1st year concerns. I think we all here have them.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:55 PM
never stops!

Re: 7 years unused = 100% refund, REALLY???

Originally posted by ndabunka
Jonj... FULL refund after 7 years. Don't think so...Are you certain that's an Acura warranty? I didn't see any details of a certain 100% refund after 7 years. I understand the 1st year concerns. I think we all here have them.
100% sure about the full refund after 7 years if not used. I've it in writting. It's administered by American Honda Finance Corporation. Name of the program is "Acura Care".
Old 12-21-2003, 11:03 PM
10th Gear

YUP 100% I WAS OFFERED THE SAME THING FOR $1500 IN WRITING...
Old 12-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Refundable 100K warranty

Originally posted by joganjani
I bought a Acura Care Pack for $1895 for 7 Yr/ 100K. They will refund anytime prorated if cancelled. If not used can get a full refund at the end of 7 years. If needed during 7 years it covers all parts and labor with any Acura dealer. Only thing I'll have to pay is consumable parts like filters, oil, tires etc. I bought in case if needed for the 1st year model.
you paid a lot for that warranty. should have been around $1100
Old 12-22-2003, 01:44 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Re: Re: 7 years unused = 100% refund, REALLY???

100% sure about the full refund after 7 years if not used. I've it in writting. It's administered by American Honda Finance Corporation. Name of the program is "Acura Care".
Can you scan/fax in a copy of the terms of this Acura Care for me? I want to take some time and read the verbage before deciding if I want it.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Intermediate

warranty

So these seem to range from $900 - $1,700 and it's agreed it's 100% refundable from Honda.

Can I see this too?

My personal fax is 208-723-2169 (efax).

Would greatly appreciate a copy of this. I'll find some way to repay you one day. I'll owe you 'one'.

Thanks,

Pete / petehaggrd@aol.com

ps - my car finally hit the dealership TODAY. They are prepping and adding on side moulding, wheel locks and protection package tonight/tomorrow
Old 12-22-2003, 11:31 PM
never stops!

Response to fax

I just have the receipt and will get the contract directly from Acura in 30 days. Will post the scanned clauses as soon as I get it.

For the price I do not worry since it's refundable (if not used). Also tried to negotiate and was told that this is set by Acura and dealer cannot discount this. May be a bull given by the dealer. However, had replaced the radiator on my previous Acura last year and ended up paying about $900 for parts and labor. Thought this might come handy in such cases. Also was told that this cannot be bought once the car is out of the dealership. May be another bull.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:02 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Re: Response to fax

I just have the receipt and will get the contract directly from Acura in 30 days. Will post the scanned clauses as soon as I get it.

For the price I do not worry since it's refundable (if not used). Also tried to negotiate and was told that this is set by Acura and dealer cannot discount this. May be a bull given by the dealer. However, had replaced the radiator on my previous Acura last year and ended up paying about $900 for parts and labor. Thought this might come handy in such cases. Also was told that this cannot be bought once the car is out of the dealership. May be another bull.
I heard you can buy the warranty up to 12,000 miles later... so they're probably just pulling your leg on that one.

So you did not look at the contract at all before agreeing to purchase it? What if the other things they told you (such as "this is a refundable purchase") are lies as well?
Old 12-23-2003, 09:06 AM
Team Secretary of Housing

Acura Care extended warranty info

Just to give my $.02 on the subject and hopefully clear up some misconceptions out there.
I purchased the extended 7/100K $0 deduct. version at the time of purchase for $1120 through my dealer. This was negotiated at the same time as my car purchase so not an impulse on my part or a forced sale item on behalf of my dealer. It was explained to me to be a continuation of the factory warranty that comes with the `04 TL. Upon receiving my contract weeks after delivery of the car and purchase it in deed reads as a complete extension of coverages. One difference is that you get a rental car up to $45/day vs. a loaner during the factory warranty period. Hope this clears some things up. Also it is transferable upon a $50 fee which on an earlier thread was thought not to be possible. You must have a complete service record and do so through your original dealer to process the transfer though. Hope this all helps.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

ext. warranty

FYI, I saw the acura/honda extended warranty COST book last night.

The cost on the zero deductible 50,001 - 100,000 mile extended factory warranty ( thru acura/honda ) is $925 or $950 (forget exactly which). The $25 or $50 deductible was $900. Strange difference, eh??

ALL FINANCE MANAGERS in the dealerships are then marking this up to whatever they feel they can earn. I have no problem with them making a dollar. It is the American way, however, doubling this price and then saying i'm getting a hell of a deal is NOT ok.

I'm shooting for $1,000 now (vs $1795 verbal quote).

Pete
Old 12-23-2003, 10:27 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Re: Acura Care extended warranty info

Bruce, would you mind sending us a copy of the terms and conditions of the contract? Perhaps fax or scanned? thanks man!

Originally posted by brucedeb1
Just to give my $.02 on the subject and hopefully clear up some misconceptions out there.
I purchased the extended 7/100K $0 deduct. version at the time of purchase for $1120 through my dealer. This was negotiated at the same time as my car purchase so not an impulse on my part or a forced sale item on behalf of my dealer. It was explained to me to be a continuation of the factory warranty that comes with the `04 TL. Upon receiving my contract weeks after delivery of the car and purchase it in deed reads as a complete extension of coverages. One difference is that you get a rental car up to $45/day vs. a loaner during the factory warranty period. Hope this clears some things up. Also it is transferable upon a $50 fee which on an earlier thread was thought not to be possible. You must have a complete service record and do so through your original dealer to process the transfer though. Hope this all helps.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:28 PM

For you Lore.....Happy Holidays..My gift to you

Hi everyone,
Not only do I provide the best deal for a Nav model but a copy of the extended warranty to top it all off. The file is a PDF and I scanned both pages of the book at once so you will need to rotate to view on your screens or just print out. Unfortunately I am unable to post. Please e-mail me direct and I will reply with the file attached. Happy Holidays everyone. Drive safe in your new TLs, I know I am!
Bruce
Old 12-24-2003, 12:16 AM
Instructor

Check out http://acuraofmissionviejo.com/acura-care-quote.asp

they offer the Acura Care Extended Warranty at a substantial discount. I talked to Acura Customer Service and Acura Care...they both said you can buy the Acura Care warranty from any Honda or Acura dealer. Therefore you can buy it over the internet from Mission Viejo Acura if your dealer won't match or beat their price.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:39 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

They don't seem to allow quotes for cars purchased this year.

Originally posted by huskerfan
Check out http://acuraofmissionviejo.com/acura-care-quote.asp

they offer the Acura Care Extended Warranty at a substantial discount. I talked to Acura Customer Service and Acura Care...they both said you can buy the Acura Care warranty from any Honda or Acura dealer. Therefore you can buy it over the internet from Mission Viejo Acura if your dealer won't match or beat their price.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:40 AM
Intermediate

tl

Husker Fan......

Thanks for the good link.

My internet quote came back at $1120 buying it 12/03.

I"ll take this price in to my deal today.

Thanks for the great news.

Pete
Old 12-24-2003, 11:30 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally posted by Lore
They don't seem to allow quotes for cars purchased this year.
I'm in 2003 Lore, what year are you in?
Old 12-25-2003, 12:39 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

OH. Whoops. Hahaha.

I misread the page; thought it wanted the "model" year of the car.

My bad!

(But in answer to your question, I am in 2003 as well... at least for another few days. hehe)

Originally posted by Rocketsfan
I'm in 2003 Lore, what year are you in?
Old 12-25-2003, 03:19 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I started researching extended warranties. Is this warranty a wear and tear, bumper to bumper warranty? In other words, is it an exclusionary warranty? (Covers everything except the stuff excluded in the list?)

If so, then it's a decent warranty, provided you get it for about $1k for 7/100,000 and $0 deductible. I will probably try to buy the warranty for that price.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Lore
I started researching extended warranties. Is this warranty a wear and tear, bumper to bumper warranty? In other words, is it an exclusionary warranty? (Covers everything except the stuff excluded in the list?)

If so, then it's a decent warranty, provided you get it for about $1k for 7/100,000 and $0 deductible. I will probably try to buy the warranty for that price.
Yes, it's exactly the same warrenty that comes with the car, only it's extended (obviously). I've never heard of anything less than $1,120. That's what I paid, and the finance woman at the dealership claimed that was below their own cost. Of course, who knows whether that's true.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:53 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

These warranties run concurrent with the manufacturer's warranty, right?

There was another thread about someone with a stress fracture in their glass. Being that the extended warranty doesn't cover glass, why would the manufacturer's warranty cover glass? (I thought since it was an extension of the warranty, the manufacturer's warranty would be the same).

I'm hearing that manufacturer's extended warranties, such as the one offered by Acura dealerships, are easily marked up 300%. That said, even at $1120, the dealer cost of it is probably near $400.

edit: although someone above stated that they saw the cost book saying the price is about $900. Is that a legitimate source?
Old 12-25-2003, 11:04 PM
I love cars!

brucedeb1, sorry but you're wrong. The Acura Care is a service contract note a warranty. It's not an extension of complete coverage of the mfr warranrty. Go here to read the text of the contact. Pay careful atention to what's NOT covered! I have this on my '00 and it was sold to me as an extension of the warranty, but things like light bulbs, trim, some SRS parts AREN'T covered, while the mfr warranty does cover them for 4yrs/50K.

http://www.acuradriver.com/acura_car...e_contract.asp

I hope we can have intelligent discussion on this topic now. As for being refundable, not one person has scanned their written confirmation of this. Acura would go broke if they offered a full refund if not used.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:27 PM
Advanced

The finance woman at my dealer said the MSRP on the 7/100k $0 deductable warranty was something like $2,400. Again, I certainly don't take a dealer's words as the gospel truth...however, $1,124 remains the best deal I've come across.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by fast-tl
brucedeb1, sorry but you're wrong. The Acura Care is a service contract note a warranty. It's not an extension of complete coverage of the mfr warranrty. Go here to read the text of the contact. Pay careful atention to what's NOT covered! I have this on my '00 and it was sold to me as an extension of the warranty, but things like light bulbs, trim, some SRS parts AREN'T covered, while the mfr warranty does cover them for 4yrs/50K.

http://www.acuradriver.com/acura_car...e_contract.asp

I hope we can have intelligent discussion on this topic now. As for being refundable, not one person has scanned their written confirmation of this. Acura would go broke if they offered a full refund if not used.
The warranty that is refundable is not the Acura Care Warranty...it is another more expensive warranty that some dealers sell. FYI: light bulbs, brake pads, belts, etc. are considered normal "wear and tear" items and are not covered by the 4 yr 50K warranty either. I talked to the people at Acura Care and they say it is an extension of the 4 yr 50K warranty.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:07 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Here are the scanned pages re: refunds, courtesy of brucedeb1.

I made the image a little smaller, but the quality is kinda sucky. Sorry!
Old 12-26-2003, 08:56 AM

Lore and Fasttl

Fast tl if you would like a copy of the complete Acura Care warranty e-mail me direct as the PDF file will not post on this forum. You will get a prorata refund if not used depending on the amount of mileage and years left.
Lore thanks for the credit in your note above.
Happy New Year everyone. By the way, the price I paid for my warranty was $1120 as some others have paid. I was told this was the employee purchase price when I bought it, not the Dealer's cost. I was happy with it and the complete deal I got at my dealer as some of you have either read or heard direct from me.
Regards,
Bruce
Old 12-26-2003, 01:55 PM
2nd Gear

Don't believe any of this fully refundable crap. They begin reducing the refundable portion from the days in force or mileage @ date of cancellation if EFG companies are supplying the contracts.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:00 PM
2nd Gear

Looking at your scanned document you have 60 days to apply for a refund if no svc is provided. If past 60 days the proration starts. That means it will not be a full price paid refund.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Intermediate

I paid $860 for 7 year 100k warranty with 0 deductible. The dealer told me this was their cost. I have no idea if this is true or not. One additional thing though, they told me I was going to have a $50 deductible but when I got it in the mail it was for a zero deductible. So I guess I got lucky there.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:25 PM
I love cars!

So to be clear, 2 DIFFERENT warranties are being confused on this thread. I was discussing the Acura Care service contract which I have on my '00. The starter of this thread is talking about another warranty which presumably extends the full mfr bumper-to-bumper warranty. What is the name of THAT one?
Old 12-26-2003, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by fast-tl
So to be clear, 2 DIFFERENT warranties are being confused on this thread. I was discussing the Acura Care service contract which I have on my '00. The starter of this thread is talking about another warranty which presumably extends the full mfr bumper-to-bumper warranty. What is the name of THAT one?
I have the Acura Care extended warranty on my 2003 TL and it is a bumper to bumper extension of the original Acura warranty. I am in the market for a 2004 TL and when I inquired about an extended warranty at my local dealer they told me they had two warranties they offer. One is the Acura Care warranty and the other (I don't know the name) is a more expensive warranty that allows you to get a full refund at the end of the term if you don't have any warranty claims. The standard Acura Care only gives a full refund for the first 60 days. After that it's a pro-rata refund based on time and mileage. I'm sure there are also plenty of 3rd party vendors (Sam's Club for one) that also offer extended warranties, but these are the two that my local dealer is offering. PS: local dealer was about 50% higher than Mission Viejo Acura quote off the net (I posted the link earlier).

Quick Reply: TL Extended Warranty