3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tl .. Chick Magnet ... Rock Magnet ... BUG MAGNET?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tl .. Chick Magnet ... Rock Magnet ... BUG MAGNET?!

Ok, this is the first white car anyone in my family has owned ... does anyone else notice that bugs like to cling to the TL?! ... every time i go outside i find another creation of nature walking .. or crawling on the exterior of the car!

I dont know if it was happening before, and i didnt notice it (last car was gold) or if the white is attracting bugs more than other colors, or mabey the lil pests just like the tl as much as i do?

anyone have any input on this?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:07 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
cant say that i have.... more chicks than bugs.... unfortunatly, more dudes than chicks... yuck jealous bastards
Old 04-10-2006, 08:18 PM
New and Improved!

Cool

Try living in Florida. Some of our bugs are Boeing 777 variety. I sometimes wonder if I, personally, will be responsible for the exermination of various species. They have guts more acidic than Aliens.

Truth of the matter is, the bugs are so distracted staring at your TL they are unaware of immiment death.

Be sure you keep the TL well waxed and remove the remains as frequently as possible.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Just wait for the summer and prime BREEDING TIME!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xtin
for girls?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:36 PM
New and Improved!

Talking

It is already 'summer' here. And now that we finally had some rain last weekend, the buggers have been in a non stop orgy.

May and September brings upon us the automobile's greatest foe....'Love Bugs'. These are a fly variety that mate in flight, attached 'til death do us part'. These ph inbalanced creatures will remove your paint faster than driving through a meteor shower.

But hey, if you're gonna go....what a way to go!
Old 04-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by TampaBayTL
It is already 'summer' here. And now that we finally had some rain last weekend, the buggers have been in a non stop orgy.

May and September brings upon us the automobile's greatest foe....'Love Bugs'. These are a fly variety that mate in flight, attached 'til death do us part'. These ph inbalanced creatures will remove your paint faster than driving through a meteor shower.

But hey, if you're gonna go....what a way to go!
Yeah I used to live in Central Florida....lovebugs were a breeding MISHAP from UCF. Did ya know that?.

I hate those things with their little beady orange heads. UGH!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the attraction of bugs is due to the kind of soap or wax used when washing and waxing the car. But, I maybe wrong, this is just what I think
Old 04-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by shayan
I think the attraction of bugs is due to the kind of soap or wax used when washing and waxing the car. But, I maybe wrong, this is just what I think
No, its your car going 55mph and the bugs being at the wrong place at the wrong time

I think he is talking about the caked on bugs that show up on the front bumper
Old 04-11-2006, 06:55 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Was anyone else in San Diego last year when the butterfly migration happened? These bastards migrate from central Mexico up to Washington State.... Literally the sky and the roads were covered in them...
Old 04-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Racer

No, its your car going 55mph and the bugs being at the wrong place at the wrong time

To follow up on what xtin said - the second day I had my car (mid-September), I had to run up to Dallas (from N.O.). The whole way home, there were love bugs so thick, it looked like the insect version of Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds"!

By the time I got home, the front end looked like it was covered with felt! It took 30 minutes to clean the front end.

Advise - keep a good coat of wax on the front end (follow up weekly with those detailing sprays), and NEVER let dead bugs sit on your car for more than a few days. As their bodies breakdown, the acid in their systems will etch your paint.

gurney
Old 04-11-2006, 07:15 AM
Instructor

you guys have some real funny comments .. but i think i confused some people.

When i walk out of my house in the morning or afternoon to get into the car (the first time being driven for the day)

i notice everything from bees to little dragonfly looking things to little things i have never seen before crawling on the paint of the car. The bees tend to fly into the body of the car and then try again a few times before they fly away. The others with big wings (for bugs) tend to just walk around the car aimlessly (sp)

also there has been alot of dew these days maybe the moisture collecting on the car is attracting them?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
rick - the bugs are either getting a drink or looking for a place to lay eggs.

Tampa - I don't know how you stand it. I thought bugs here were bad until we drove to Lauderdale to catch a cruise to the Bahamas. My friends car was white...when we got back, it's front end was black...and it was only March!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:13 AM
New and Improved!

Talking

Originally Posted by chill_dog
rick - the bugs are either getting a drink or looking for a place to lay eggs.

Tampa - I don't know how you stand it. I thought bugs here were bad until we drove to Lauderdale to catch a cruise to the Bahamas. My friends car was white...when we got back, it's front end was black...and it was only March!
I draft behind SUVs. It saves me from bugs, rock chips and speeding tickets.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:17 AM
New and Improved!

Lightbulb

When i walk out of my house in the morning or afternoon to get into the car (the first time being driven for the day)

i notice everything from bees to little dragonfly looking things to little things i have never seen before crawling on the paint of the car. The bees tend to fly into the body of the car and then try again a few times before they fly away. The others with big wings (for bugs) tend to just walk around the car aimlessly (sp)

also there has been alot of dew these days maybe the moisture collecting on the car is attracting them?
Do you use a detail spray with fragrance? One of the detail sprays I uses (Mequires or Mothers?) has a scent. That may be what attracts the bugs to your TL? Maybe they are trying to pollenate your TL! Or perhaps, it is just LOVE.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Racer

try living in texas we have these bugs/warms that hang from trees and land on your car and get there web all over it. I HATE it!! They are really bad at my office which is no good!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Or perhaps, it is just LOVE.
Just imagine waking up and finding a TSX or RSX sitting next to your TL! And you thought she was a good girl Even more justificaiton to keep her locked in the garage!!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Pro

I live in Florida too, but for some reason, I don't have a lot of bugs on my front bumper. I guess having the clear bra and keeping a coat of wax helps. When I do have bugs on the bumper it's east to wipe off. I use a lot of Quick detail products.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, my other car is white. Bugs are attracted to white, just like they are to light. I can wash it, by the time I dry it bugs are all over, and you can see their "waste" where they were sitting. It'll have little brown specs all over it within an hour of washing it.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:35 PM
New and Improved!

Talking

Originally Posted by wilsel
Bugs are attracted to white, just like they are to light.
See...I was RIGHT. Bugs are aware of imminent death when in the presence of a TL. They already know what is in store for them and are 'going to the light'. We need to get that short lady from "Poltergeist" , a few tennis balls and JoBeth Williams to exercise the bugs from out TLs.

*phew* another problem solved....time for a coffee break!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jmbnova
Was anyone else in San Diego last year when the butterfly migration happened? These bastards migrate from central Mexico up to Washington State.... Literally the sky and the roads were covered in them...
I know what you're talking about. I was coming home from a trip to Mammoth. During the drive I would hear one hit the car every few seconds. The grill of the rental was filled with butterflies. It was a pretty sight to see them fly by the snow covered trees. Not so pretty on the hood of cars.

Let me see if I can dig up pics. It was the first time I saw that many butterflies at once.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by datmrman
I know what you're talking about. I was coming home from a trip to Mammoth. During the drive I would hear one hit the car every few seconds. The grill of the rental was filled with butterflies. It was a pretty sight to see them fly by the snow covered trees. Not so pretty on the hood of cars.

Let me see if I can dig up pics. It was the first time I saw that many butterflies at once.
Mammoth I love their snowboard park
Old 04-11-2006, 08:00 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Did someone say bug?

I use bottle of bug/tar remover with cloth
Old 04-11-2006, 09:17 PM
New and Improved!

Question

OK...I'll take the fall here. I just love a challenge of principles.

But for all the dialogue and interaction here....this boils down to white cars and bugs. And this thread lives! It is ALIVE! Now, the matter may not be the fact that members were brought together in good spirit, dialogue and information sharing...but somehow this buggy conversation is deemed worthy while others are not?

Hmmmm. And for those who feel their 'contribution' to the community and the subsequent dialogue it may spark amongst the members is to pass judgement that a thread topic is not worthy.....where are you now?

Who am I to claim 'off topic' and beg the mods to lock? Maybe I should just move on to another thread and allow the contributing members here to carry on. After all, is it contribution we seek, or ONLY what we personally deem valuable?

Personally, I have enjoyed this thread, but somehow I don't see the equitable manner as some threads are deemed off topic, while others are not. Maybe we need someone who this does not appeal to playing psuedo mod and throw the gauntlet. What value that offers.....dunno.

My experiment worked....even if the stopwatch ticked a little longer than expected.

There are many 'bugs' in the world...and not all of them are stuck on the bumper of our TLs........ discuss. And as I witness, time and time again...."some things never change".
Old 04-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
^^ wow.. that is disgusting... really disgusting.. well anyways.. i have noticed this too... everytime i come out of school, i go to the parking lot to see that there are many bugs around my car.. i guess u could say white is a very attractive color...
Old 04-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Actuary
Did someone say bug?

I use bottle of bug/tar remover with cloth
Holy Bugs!!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts

But for all the dialogue and interaction here....this boils down to white cars and bugs. And this thread lives! It is ALIVE! Now, the matter may not be the fact that members were brought together in good spirit, dialogue and information sharing...but somehow this buggy conversation is deemed worthy while others are not?

Hmmmm. And for those who feel their 'contribution' to the community and the subsequent dialogue it may spark amongst the members is to pass judgement that a thread topic is not worthy.....where are you now?

Who am I to claim 'off topic' and beg the mods to lock? Maybe I should just move on to another thread and allow the contributing members here to carry on. After all, is it contribution we seek, or ONLY what we personally deem valuable?

Personally, I have enjoyed this thread, but somehow I don't see the equitable manner as some threads are deemed off topic, while others are not. Maybe we need someone who this does not appeal to playing psuedo mod and throw the gauntlet. What value that offers.....dunno.

My experiment worked....even if the stopwatch ticked a little longer than expected.

There are many 'bugs' in the world...and not all of them are stuck on the bumper of our TLs........ discuss. And as I witness, time and time again...."some things never change".

thanks for your experiment, you can go now...
Old 04-12-2006, 09:51 PM
rebmeM deretsigeR

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmmm, as far as I know, this thread was about bugs sitting on the car, not hitting them. I have noticed this same phenomenon as well, but its usually a lady bug or this weird small thing that looks a like a small stick with wings. Could be wax, since i find a bunch after i wax my car, but it can be any number of reasons.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts

This is the thread that is mentioned above as the experiment, and was closed https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134881

When you ask for it to be closed and are timing it, who am I to make you wait, so I closed it. You made it sound like a challenge so I accepted the challenge, but it would have been closed eventually due to the subject matter.

Does this bug you?

You are starting to sound a lot like TampaMike, who also had a problem understanding that we don't discriminate against anyone when we close or move a thread, and we use our best judgement when doing so. We try to be fair, but we are not infallible, as are some of the members here, all of us being human beings, after all.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:57 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

Since someone is complaining I will add "informational" response

1. sorry, white car owners you are out of luck. Silver does same thing sometimes
2. If you got bug on your car, best action is wash it asap because it will harden
3. bug tar remover will not completely remove every single tiny bit of black dots
4. just wash it few more times and by the winter hits, bug remains were all gone from my bumper