Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL Buzz

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL Buzz

I know there is a thread that talks about the vibration certain members have experienced at various rpm's. However, this is a little different. My 05 TL is very smooth at this point with 500 miles on it and I love the exhaust note. But there seems to be a very minor vibration that is there most of the time. It feels almost like the exhaust and the engine are sending a buzz through the steering wheel and the floorboard at a frequency that bothers me. If it vibrated more it probably would not bother me but the frequency at this point is uncomfortable. Hopefully I will get used to it. Before I take it in for the dealer to look at, I would apprerciate any information indicating that others feel it and it is simply a trait of the vehicle. I have owned BMW's and Porsches that ran rougher and I enjoyed it. All I can say, at this point, is that I feel weird at times because of the frequency of the "buzz." Your comments are appreciated.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Instructor

The first thing that comes to mind is tires. Get them road force balanced and evaluated for roundness.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:22 PM
Racer

I have the same buzz with my TL. It has nothing to do with the tires because I can still feel the vibration when I'm at idle. Although it is a minor vibration, I too find it annoying at times. My car has only 2800 miles on it. This all began around 1000 miles. Before that, everything was smooth. I took it to the dealer and as usual they said they didn't feel anything. Unfortunately I have since learned to live with it. I do not believe it is a trait of the vehicle but what can I do since the dealer refuses to even acknowledge there is a problem. I hope you have better luck with your dealer and please keep us updated.
G'luck.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bfogarty
I know there is a thread that talks about the vibration certain members have experienced at various rpm's. However, this is a little different. My 05 TL is very smooth at this point with 500 miles on it and I love the exhaust note. But there seems to be a very minor vibration that is there most of the time. It feels almost like the exhaust and the engine are sending a buzz through the steering wheel and the floorboard at a frequency that bothers me. If it vibrated more it probably would not bother me but the frequency at this point is uncomfortable. Hopefully I will get used to it. Before I take it in for the dealer to look at, I would apprerciate any information indicating that others feel it and it is simply a trait of the vehicle. I have owned BMW's and Porsches that ran rougher and I enjoyed it. All I can say, at this point, is that I feel weird at times because of the frequency of the "buzz." Your comments are appreciated.

Tires and exhaust could be factors, but if you could describe RPM range or speed, this would be helpful.

Also, does that noise sound like "droning"?
Old 10-28-2004, 02:39 AM
Advanced

I think I have the same problem as you. It would vibrate or drone or whatever it is when you accelerate. It happens to me around 2k-2.5k rpm. I think only in the lower gears because it does not happen during highway speed. On the inside street, turning or at the light , it would happen everytime. I'm use to it now, I dont notice it anymore but it is still there. Is it normal? I have no idea. I owned a honda and an acura before and never had any issues with them but thats for another day.....
Old 10-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Racer

For my car, there is no RPM range. It just vibrates whether i'm stopped at a light or on the highway. I don't notice it as much when the car is moving but it is still there. Like I said before, I've pretty much gotten used to it and it is only a minor vibration. For now anyways.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree with Rets - we need more info of speed/RPM and which gear you are in, and throttle position (light, medium, hard?).

My car only has a natural engine/tranny/exhaust resonance when the car shifts into high gear @ 1500 RPM under light acceleration - it is a fuel economy thing. If I goose it a bit, and get the car up to beyond 48 MPH or so, when 5th engages, it is over 1500 RPM and no vibe at all.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Advanced

Yeah-I guess I could call it a drone. It is almost like a constant miss or something jerky going on. The bitch of it is, its not that bad. It is not the tires. It is there at idle. Sometimes, when I am coasting to a stop it is not there for a few seconds. It just makes for a very uncomfortable sense of jerkiness. As I mentioned before, I have had cars that were rough and that's not bad but this sensation is just very uncomfortable. I have not taken it back to the dealer yet. I want to take other cars I have out for comparison and also experiment a little with the TL so that I know what I am talking about.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Racer

Does anyone else experience the vibration that I'm feeling? Like my previous posts, I'm at idle and the car is NOT moving. RPM is about 700 when idling. There is a minor vibration felt through the steering wheel and floorboard. This is why I said it has nothing to do with my tires. I guess you can say there is also a droning noise as well. When moving it's not so noticeable because of the vibration from the BS tires but when I'm stopped at a light, I definitely can feel the vibration through the steering wheel. Anyone else feel this???? Or am I just imagining all of this. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Advanced

I have this same problem on my 04' TL. It only have 5000 miles on it and has annoying vibration at low speeds and idling... but what to do??
Old 10-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Instructor

I agree with Road Rage. Exhaust resonance is pervasive in this car and while it is most noticeable at low revs in higher gears at least in my car it is present almost always, except under hard acceleration.
Then again it may be in the subframe mountings. The 3rd gen TL has a hydroformed aluminum subframe which is a new material and process for Acura in 04. Perhaps the bushings are stiffer for the higher HP. Then again this is an 11:1 compression ratio engine so it will have a more pronounced detonation.
Even though I notice this "coarseness" I don't necessarily find it onjectionable.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:43 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have a 6 speed and the resonance on my car is from 1800 to 2200 in any gear. I have gotten somewhat used to the resonance. In fact in 5th or 6th when I feel the resonance I know about how fast I'm going without looking at the spedo.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Racer

Nobody else feels this vibration when idling? Seems like everyone in this thread only has it when the vehicle is moving. Mine feels more like a combination of exhaust resonance and engine vibration regardless of whether the car is idling or moving.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by willz822
Nobody else feels this vibration when idling? Seems like everyone in this thread only has it when the vehicle is moving. Mine feels more like a combination of exhaust resonance and engine vibration regardless of whether the car is idling or moving.
I do feel a certain roughness at idle that I didn't feel in my 01 CL, but I've attributed it to the higher compression ratio and overall increase in stiffness in the chasis. If the TL had an engine that was not producing 270HP it could be smoother and more refined. When you start bumping output on an engine and stiffening the chasis you pay a price for that in the form of additional NVH transmission. That's why the older Lincolns and Cadilacs were so buttery smooth. The would use huge displacement engines that only had to produce .3 HP per cubic inch of displacement. The chasis's were so loose that they would twist in a corner. Made for a very soft, smooth ride but they were scarey handling beasts.
I think Acura has done a pretty good job of producing a car that accelerates and handles like the TL and still make it a very comfortable car to tour in.........IMHO.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by willz822
Does anyone else experience the vibration that I'm feeling? Like my previous posts, I'm at idle and the car is NOT moving. RPM is about 700 when idling. There is a minor vibration felt through the steering wheel and floorboard. This is why I said it has nothing to do with my tires. I guess you can say there is also a droning noise as well. When moving it's not so noticeable because of the vibration from the BS tires but when I'm stopped at a light, I definitely can feel the vibration through the steering wheel. Anyone else feel this???? Or am I just imagining all of this. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
The TL has hydraulic motor mounts - they are supposed to go loose at idle, tighten up at speed. Perhaps one or more of yours is defective.

P.S. I am at 1299 recog points - somebody bump me!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Racer

Thanks for the reply RR. Here you go. Hope this pushes you over 1300 points

Old 10-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Advanced

I have the exact same vibration. I have an appointment at 8:00AM Monday morning to have a tech ride with me. I'll let everyone know what he says. My concern is because it is minor that his take will be that it is the nature of the vehicle. I believe someone said it is like holding on to an electric shaver. Its that kind of buzz in the steering wheel and the floorboard.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Racer

Old 10-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Instructor

04 have a harmonic vibration issue. Service rep confirmed with me that it is in the sub-frame of the car and has been fixed in 05 models, but not retrofitable to the 04. Within a week I should have a trade worked out with Acura for my 04TL. My car is not the only one.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GTFISH
04 have a harmonic vibration issue. Service rep confirmed with me that it is in the sub-frame of the car and has been fixed in 05 models, but not retrofitable to the 04. Within a week I should have a trade worked out with Acura for my 04TL. My car is not the only one.
Mine is an 05 with only about 500 miles on it. Maybe as RR said some of the hydralic motor mounts are not working. On Monday a Tech is taking the car out for a spin. Hopefully he will be able to feel it.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bfogarty
Mine is an 05 with only about 500 miles on it. Maybe as RR said some of the hydralic motor mounts are not working. On Monday a Tech is taking the car out for a spin. Hopefully he will be able to feel it.
Well, I cancelled my appointment for this morning because all day Sunday the car ran beautifully. This TL without the buzz is great. Let's hope it stays like this. Maybe the motor mounts kicked in.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:03 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2003 accord and find the same thing on my 2005 TL. A lot of people complain about that on Accord. A tech told me that this is due to VTEC technology (balance of the engine or something like that) It's normal. I get used to it. It's not normal for me on a near entry luxury car.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by sebounet2005
I had the same problem with my 2003 accord and find the same thing on my 2005 TL. A lot of people complain about that on Accord. A tech told me that this is due to VTEC technology (balance of the engine or something like that) It's normal. I get used to it. It's not normal for me on a near entry luxury car.
It has nothing to do with VTEC - that is ridiculous!! That should be obvious, as VTEC is not engaged at idle or low RPM conditions, which is when most people are complaining. The things that some dealerships sput never ceases to amaze - and coming from a Tech, it is inexcusable.

VTEC is a simple and reliable mechanical system that in the TL/Accords allows a SOHC engine to have many of the benefits of a DOHC, with reduced mechanical complexity. In the S2000, it turns a quick car into a screamer at 6K. But there is nothing in the system that would compromise or cause drivetrain vibration. VTEC has nothing to do with engine balance. Whoever told you that has a balance problem, probably relating to the failure of serotonin uptake. Receptors clearly are failing somewhere - likely the temporal lobe - VTEC affects the cam lobes.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:46 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't really remember his point but i had a four cylinder that was I-VTEC he explained me why "I" blablabla and said that why there's a vibration at idle or at a red light. I can feel it a bit in my TL but i get used to it. My boss when i just had my new TL start it and was sit on the driver seat and tell me five minutes later "did you feel the vibration in the steering " we were on "P". He has a 911 porsche cab and a FX 35 so this cars have more vibrations than "normal" cars so he shouldn't have notice this.

Anyway i don't care really