Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL broken into without forcible entry

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 11:03 AM
TL User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation TL broken into without forcible entry

Yesterday night my TL was broken into for the second time in 3 weeks. First time I thought that may be I forgot to lock it, but this time I KNOW I locked it and I even checked all the doors to make sure they were locked.

The only thing taken were a pair of sunglasses during the first break-in and nothing last night (since I don't keep anything valuable in the car). Both time the MO was the same. Turn off internal lights, open up all compartments, search for anything of value, leave the rest. I would estimate the total time spent in the car at about 30 seconds.

The first time they went through the glove compartment but didn't take anything. This time the glove compartment was locked and it doesn't look like it was opened. The trunk button was disabled and since the on/off switch is inside the glovebox, they didn't get to the trunk.

Both times The Club was installed on the steering wheel and no tampering with it was evident.

Now here are the BAD part:
- No signs of forcible entry were visible.
- Since the job inside looked at least somewhat professional and only required at most 30 seconds, then I am guessing from the outside it took no more than 30 seconds as well.

Now I recall reading somewhere on this board recently about a Universal key that may is available for the TL. Is that true and could this be the culprit in this case?
Since glovebox wasn't open, I am guessing this Universal key is of the valet-key variety?

I am trying to look at it from the most non-paranoid point-of-view, but 2 times in 3 weeks by what looks like same person/group with a universal key? What kind of prevention method (short of sleeping in the car with a shotgun) can prevent someone breaking in to my (or anyone else's) car?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Advanced

sorry to hear about your misfortune. the only thing i can recommend is an aftermarket alarm system. the factory alarm is disabled when the doors are opened by "A" (valet or main) key. with an aftermarket alarm, they can only be turned off by the alarm fob. there are other ways to turn it off, but that is already after entry has already been established, and after the alarm has already sounded.

if you really one to scare the crap outta someone, try and see if you can still find the club that is also a taser. I remember they use to sell them at Pep Boys, but I haven't seen them in years.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Actually sleeping in the car with a shotgun sounds like a plan to me

Actually, if you want to get about it, I'd take a camcorder and hide it in the bushes to watch this dude work. Then you'll learn a few things and have something to show the cops.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:19 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_McCready
Actually sleeping in the car with a shotgun sounds like a plan to me

Actually, if you want to get about it, I'd take a camcorder and hide it in the bushes to watch this dude work. Then you'll learn a few things and have something to show the cops.
the thief won't miss anything, the camcorder will be stolen too...
Old 11-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Instructor

I got the Dell wireless camera

It can record video onto your harddrive via your wireless network if you have one, it costs around 125$

If you have any small camera, no thief is gonna search your entire perimeter in the middle of the night to look for a camera.

You could have a neigbor record it from their house if they have a window pointing at it or anything like that.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:31 AM
TL User

Can someone please confirm whether this "Universal key" actually exists? Whether it does or not would affect how I approach upgrading the alarm system.

I can put the best alarm system in the world, but if it still doesn't prevent the thief from opening the door then what good is it? Even if the alarm did sound, if the thief is in the car for 15-20 seconds that's enough time to cause all kinds of damage.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:33 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

You should try to catch the thief.

Leave something valuable in a very apparent spot in the car, like on the rear deck lid (so it can be seen through the window) or on the dash. Lock the car as usual, arm the alarm, and WAIT (hidden). (make sure you dont fall asleep though )

If/when you see him coming, snap a picture or videotape, then run after the fucker.

good luck.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Slava
Can someone please confirm whether this "Universal key" actually exists? Whether it does or not would affect how I approach upgrading the alarm system.

I can put the best alarm system in the world, but if it still doesn't prevent the thief from opening the door then what good is it? Even if the alarm did sound, if the thief is in the car for 15-20 seconds that's enough time to cause all kinds of damage.

There is no such thing as a "Universal" or "Master" key for any car/truck. You could still install a really good alarm with a pager (Viper) and you would at least know if someone is breaking into your vehicle. If you do opt to get a new alarm make sure you get a place like Tweeter to install it. Circuit City and Best Buy will just put it up under the dash in the same place they install them all. Places like Tweeter will charge you more but they will hide the unit to where it is "invisible".
Old 11-08-2005, 12:04 PM
TL User

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
There is no such thing as a "Universal" or "Master" key for any car/truck. You could still install a really good alarm with a pager (Viper) and you would at least know if someone is breaking into your vehicle. If you do opt to get a new alarm make sure you get a place like Tweeter to install it. Circuit City and Best Buy will just put it up under the dash in the same place they install them all. Places like Tweeter will charge you more but they will hide the unit to where it is "invisible".
Ok, this is the thread I was talking about. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=ring

So is it technically possible to come up with a key that can open up my TL? How likely can someone break in to the TL without a key and not leave a mark?
I agree that an aftermarket alarm will actually sound when triggered but how will it prevent the thief from getting into the car?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
It won't keep them out. You're hoping 1) they see you have it and don't mess with your car and/or 2) that the noise it makes when they set it off scares them off before they take anything (or a lot of stuff).

Oh, and a professional can break into any car with leaving a mark...that's why they're professionals.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Instructor

So is it technically possible to come up with a key that can open up my TL? How likely can someone break in to the TL without a key and not leave a mark?
There's no magic here. If you went to dinner in SF and gave the valet your remote (with the emergency key inside) they could easily make a wax impression of the emergency key.

Guess what? That impression can be made into a duplicate of your emergency key and voila, they are into your car whenever they want. That would also explain why they couldn't get into your trunk or glove box.

That's why you are supposed to remove the emergency key when you give the valet your remote.

Time to rekey your car at the dealer (or move out of the city).
Old 11-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Shift_faster

The first thing that came to mind when I read this situation was "practical joke". At least, it doesn't seem to make sense that a thief would be bold enough to hit the same car twice in three weeks.

But stranger things have happened....
Old 11-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by NorCalRL
There's no magic here. If you went to dinner in SF and gave the valet your remote (with the emergency key inside) they could easily make a wax impression of the emergency key.

That's why you are supposed to remove the emergency key when you give the valet your remote.
WTF is an emergency key? Do you mean the valet key? You have to give the valet a key with the remote (that's how you start the car)...so you would recommend giving him your regular key? I think not...at least the valet key keeps them out of the glove box and trunk.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
You have to give the valet a key with the remote (that's how you start the car)...so you would recommend giving him your regular key? I think not...at least the valet key keeps them out of the glove box and trunk.
The first part is not true. The valet key will start the car even without the remote as it, too has the proper chip in it to allow that operation. That's why you give the valet key (what the other poster is calling the "emergency key") without the remote. The remote allows access to the trunk, so you definitely don't want to give THAT to the valet.

There is no "universal key" for this car. We'd be in deep dooky if that were the case....
Old 11-08-2005, 02:34 PM
TL User

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The first part is not true. The valet key will start the car even without the remote as it, too has the proper chip in it to allow that operation. That's why you give the valet key (what the other poster is calling the "emergency key") without the remote. The remote allows access to the trunk, so you definitely don't want to give THAT to the valet.

There is no "universal key" for this car. We'd be in deep dooky if that were the case....
Ok, no "universal key" but how about a "universal remote" that can open any TL door? This would also explain why they didn't bother with anything locked (club, glove box) and just went in for the valuable stuff.
A remote operates on some radio/ir/microwave(etc) frequency to unlocks the doors and isn't it technically possible to intercept that frequency and duplicate it?

How do the car remotes work anyway? I can't imagine that every single car sold has the a unique frequency.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by neuronbob

Uh, that's what I was saying, you have to give them the key. His post read as if you just give the valet a remote, no key. And yes, remote is a no-no, just like the normal key (for the reasons I mentioned before).
Old 11-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Advanced

Did you lose any of your old Acura keys before? Maybe somebody in your complex or area found it?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes you can get a copy of your key at the dealership. They had a special on the news about this and how easy it can be done. The news people went through every step and asked for a key to soemone else's car without asking ID.

The best thing to do is to add the aftermarket alarm now. You can also call around to the dealerships and see if anyone requested a key to your car's VIN #.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can open any car pretty easily and not leave a mark. A "Big Easy" and "Air Wedge" will get you in any car fairly quick and not make a mark.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:16 PM
TL User

Ok, looks like in either case it's time to look for a better security system. What have people successfuly installed on the 3G TL?
My budget is $1000+ with highest priority on security and secondary priority minimized false alarms.
I want to have a pager to be notified when alarm goes off, and a video camera with automatic internet streaming/upload wouldn't hurt.

Anybody with good experience?
Old 11-08-2005, 03:18 PM
tTLiang

weird. at least no damage to your car. last time (few weeks after i first got my car) they f-up my driver side door so bad it cost ~$1000+ damage and they didn't even get in.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Advanced

I'm sorry to tell you guys this, but Honda does make ways of getting into our cars w/o keys. They won't tell you how, but there are ways. I can tell you this much, anyone that accesses the information will be in there database. This info is stored in Honda's main database. When you request the this info, in logs who accesses it. The only thing the theif would need is either an accomplice that works @ Honda/Acura or to work there personally, and your vin#.

I'm not sure if any of you have ever done this, but if you go to Acura to have a spare key made. Notice that all they do is look in a book for your vin# and cut the key. They don't need your key to make a copy of it. To program the key they will either need to go onto Honda's database to get the immobilizer code, or they can start your car another way in which I can't say with an unprogrammed key.

So, as for the rumor of the universal key, that is just a myth. Now, if they have some blank keys, and the Honda book w/ our key settings then were in for a lot of trouble.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:54 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
With my palm and an the IR port i can scan (with a piece of electronic) your code when you close it and open it after with my palm.

If i remember i saw on TV i tjink it was "5th gear" on BBC and even most modern and costly car were very easy to open by this way.

Do a search on internet for palm and remote control to open car doors and you l see the solutions are not so difficult.

Plus the palms are more and more powerfull that they can run a large amount of code in a short time.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Advanced

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crimestopper-CS2...QQcmdZViewItem

This is by far the best alarm system that I have bought for any of my vehicles. Comes/ with LCD pager remote, and hood sensor. I had this alarm on my 1998 Integra Type R when it got broken into @ 2am. Thiefs will open your hood slowly to deactivate your alarm, and diconnect your battery. When this happened on my Type R, my alarm sounded. The thief managed to disconnect the battery withing 15 seconds, but my pager was already going off in my bedroom. By the time I got outside the thief was already gone, but I was able to prevent my car from being stolen. They had done this to see if anyone would respond, and come back to steal the car later on that night.

I'm sorry to say, but there is no real way to deter theives. By catching them you also face the fear of them returning when they are released especially if they know where you live.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, take a video or pic instead of catching them... It is probably a repeat offense, and do not be surprised if it happens again.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:38 PM
2005 WDP TL

blinking LED does wonders, my car was broken into when it was new with no forcible entry as well.....SUCKS. Do you live in an apartment or something? Why is she not sleeping in the garage?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:01 PM
TL User

I'll put here in the garage once I can afford the $1,000,000 price tag I would have to pay for the house that is attached to the garage.
Welcome to San Francisco!

I would put her in the public garage of $50/month variaty if my previous Prelude hadn't been stolen from there (thankfully recovered mostly undamaged the next day). Security there is actually worse than parking on the street.
Welcome to San Francisco (part 2)!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:47 AM
TL User

UPDATE: They got in again

2 days in a row. I am beginning to think it's someone locally showing off to their friends or something... and I figured out that this was done with a Remote.

I scotch taped all the window slits which could be used by a "slim jim", I taped off the keyhole on the driver side and none of those were penetrated. This leaves only a remote keycode interception as the only reasonable means of entry.

Any way to reprogram the remote to use a different keycode? Any other suggestions?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

I'd be sitting up all night in the bushes at this point...beat down time...that or call the cops when you see them...whichever suits you.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
2 days in a row. I am beginning to think it's someone locally showing off to their friends or something... and I figured out that this was done with a Remote.

I scotch taped all the window slits which could be used by a "slim jim", I taped off the keyhole on the driver side and none of those were penetrated. This leaves only a remote keycode interception as the only reasonable means of entry.

Any way to reprogram the remote to use a different keycode? Any other suggestions?
Just curious, if nothing was taken, how do you know that someone got in?

Also, wouldn't scotch tape be easily removed and replaced?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Shift_faster

Again I must ask...you sure this isn't a practical joke of some sorts? It just seems very very odd for this to keep happening.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Advanced

There is a way to program the factory alarm to accept a new remote, but they must first get into your car to do so.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:05 PM
TL User

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Just curious, if nothing was taken, how do you know that someone got in?

Also, wouldn't scotch tape be easily removed and replaced?
The two small compartments below the stereo were open again.

Scotch tape was more to find out method of entry rather than prevention. Since I am guessing these guys move quickly they wouldn't want to spend time carefully removing and replacing their tracks. Besides these idiots WANT me to they were there since they always leave the compartments open after they are gone.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:08 PM
TL User

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Again I must ask...you sure this isn't a practical joke of some sorts? It just seems very very odd for this to keep happening.

Well, I got all the keys and keyfobs with me. Never lost them and never let anyone borrow them. So who would be playing a practical joke on me, and how?

I am guessing it could be some neighborhood 17-year old with an Ipod and an antenna. Bold enough to get into the car, not bold enough to actually do anything for which they can go to jail for.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Maybe your GF/wife/roommate is trying to drive you nuts.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 PM
TL User

Originally Posted by jdm_98r
There is a way to program the factory alarm to accept a new remote, but they must first get into your car to do so.
And I believe they must also have the original key in the ignition to do that. I doubt it could have been that.

So does anyone Acura/Honda remote entry fobs are hackable. Because this is what it looks like..
Old 11-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Advanced

And I believe they must also have the original key in the ignition to do that. I doubt it could have been that.

So does anyone Acura/Honda remote entry fobs are hackable. Because this is what it looks like..
the orginal key is not needed.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:14 PM
TL User

Great, there goes my idea of sleeping in the car with a shotgun...
San Francisco voters approve handgun ban

Measure H prohibits the manufacture and sale of all firearms and ammunition in the city, and make it illegal for residents to keep handguns in their homes or businesses.

Welcome to the most liberal/asinine city in the World!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Team Anthracite Member

What?!!

and make it illegal for residents to keep handguns in their homes
I know in NJ we can't carry (well, the average Joe can't), but you can still own them...wow.

Actually, now that I read that - sounds like hiding in your car is the only place you could still legally have one. It only says "in their homes"

It is time for all night stake out.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
You should try to catch the thief.

Leave something valuable in a very apparent spot in the car, like on the rear deck lid (so it can be seen through the window) or on the dash. Lock the car as usual, arm the alarm, and WAIT (hidden). (make sure you dont fall asleep though )

If/when you see him coming, snap a picture or videotape, then run after the fucker.

good luck.
fuck that......go get an sr25 sniper rifle with a suppressor and a thermal scope then shoot the fucker while he's sitting in your front seat.....done deal.

I thought you rigged an aftermarket alarm already? Some indication/alarm signal is better than nothing. Or better yet, a cheap way (based on my sensor/detecting background) is to get the following:
set up a polarized reflector in your car
set up a polarized retroreflective laser in your house/window
mount the laser into a precision adjustment bracket
buy a relay box (this will serve 2 purposes - supplies DC power to the laser and provides the relay to turn on an alarm/LED/indicator, etc.)

the laser can shoot through glass, windows, fog, etc. As long as it's pointed at the reflector and nothing crossess it's path and breaks the beam, the relay won't switch. Since it requires a polarized reflector, putting a mirror or any other reflective object in the laser path won't fool the laser.

you can go to ifmefector.com and order it online. Look at the OG series lasers.
You'll probably spend about a few hundred bucks or you may get lucky by talking to a direct sales engineer and get some free samples to keep or use. Just tell them you're working on an aftermarket security system or some bullshit and am planning to market it to the consumer industry. If they ask for any other info, tell them you're a start-up company, you can't show him the designs, but most importantly, the final product will be made locally (not subcontracted out to china, etc.)!

I've got something similar setup (outdoors and waterproofed) and it's t-i-t-s baby.

Quick Reply: TL broken into without forcible entry