Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL and Aux. for Ipod

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 06:15 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL and Aux. for Ipod

Does anyone know if the TL has an auxillary cable outlet for a multidisk changer on the back of the head unit? Right now I have my ipod connected to the m-bus input on the back of my pioneer headunit in my ford bronco. http://tinyurl.com/3c2pw ( I forgot if that is the one I used) The dual rca converts to a mini which attaches to my belkin charger and amp. If I purchase a TL, I want to make sure that I will be able to get the best sound possible out of the ipod. (I do not want to settle with a fm transmitter)
Old 03-16-2004, 06:24 PM
9th Gear

I use a tape adapter for ipod - it works better than any FM transmitter.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

TheGza: I'm looking for the same answer, but it appears that out of 35,000 cars sold no one has attempted to find out if there's an aux jack on the back of the 04TL's headunit.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Pro

i'm not sure it does but if it would it should have an option to select an aux mode...i had an aux input in my old alpine headunit...when i press source it cycles thru cd, fm, am then aux...so i'm guessing it doesn't....so i think your best bet would be to use the tape adapter..i just wish they could come out with a wireless one or one which has a cable that retracts....i hate cables...
Old 03-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Cassette adapter is awful. A wired, FM modulation splice does the trick......I did this in my 00 RL with an Alpine MP3 changer in the trunk. My friend did this with his iPod in his MDX and it sounds awesome. You hide the cord in the armrest when you're not using it and put it in the cupholder mount when it's in use.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Intermediate

IPOD'ers - Direct Connect Options

I read all the posts, very ironic on the timing for me personally. I'm awaiting my IPOD mini, I hope my family is getting it for me for my b-day...I gave them enough hints!!!

With all the good "techie" minds on this forum, I expect someone will figure this one out.

the last post read today 3/16, seemed to mention going through a FM mod., and it sounded awesome...I think we all want awesome plus...there's got to be away to split some source going into the unit and then maybe putting the splitter on an a/b switch.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Unless the head unit has a dedicated aux input, the only way to get high quality sound is to splice into the FM system via a powered modulator. In my 00 RL, I'd power it up and it would overwhelm the entire FM spectrum......whatever station I tuned the FM tuner to would play the MP3's. I tried the cassette adapter (hiss, auto reversed for no reason, misaligned heads, wow/flutter) and I tried the wireless FM solution (cross channel interference, drifting stations, battery drain) and trust me, the powered and hard-wired FM modulator is the only route in the short term. I mention that because if a 3rd party gets serious about the TL they could easliy create a harness that will allow MP3 connectivity *and* the ability to see the ID3 tags on our nav screens. Alpine is working on just such a solution for many cars; it remains to be seen if the TL is going to be one of them.

An Alpine press release from CES in January:

Alpine has engineered a unique interface box that takes advantage of the iPod Accessory Protocol allowing audio, track information, and control signals to be communicated over the Ai-NET system bus to the in-dash receiver. This seamless integration provides emulation of the iPod's controls through an
Alpine head unit using both the front panel buttons and the wireless remote control.

Alpine's iPod Ready Interface kit will be available later this summer
through Alpine authorized retailers. To receive more information on the Alpine iPod Ready receivers, consumers may send an e-mail to ipodready@alpine-usa.com

Here's a good primer from Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/re.../ipod_car.html

BJ
Old 03-17-2004, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

Here's what my car audio guy found: (direct from his post)

Ipod users that want AUX input
If any TL owners that want an AUX input for an mp3 device like an ipod they can use a part from a company called soundgate. They make high quality adaptors for AUX inputs or to add amplifiers to your factory radio. the part # is snhond3 and works quite well
Old 03-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Did he say whether the ID3 tags would be visible on the nav screen?
Old 03-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Drifting

The size difference between an iPod and iPod mini are are small. I was considering the mini but 4gb of data? Not enough selection for me. I opted for the 15gb for the $50 dollar price difference.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I use an iTrip 2.0 and it works great - even from the back seat (so passengers can choose music)
Old 03-17-2004, 03:40 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by browndognj
Here's what my car audio guy found: (direct from his post)

Ipod users that want AUX input
If any TL owners that want an AUX input for an mp3 device like an ipod they can use a part from a company called soundgate. They make high quality adaptors for AUX inputs or to add amplifiers to your factory radio. the part # is snhond3 and works quite well
My understanding is that the Soundgate snhond3 only works for the 2nd gen TLs.

However, the website states:

If you have a new 2003 or newer Honda Accord, 2004 Acura TL or TSX, you can use our SNHOND3 to add a Sony 6, or 10-disc changer. If not installing a changer, SNHOND3 can be used as an auxiliary input interface to input the audio from an iPod, MP3, satellite radio, or from any other RCA-type device.

I have to look into this some more. Let me know if anyone's tried this.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Racer

To date the only method of gaining a true input to the stereo is hacking the XM input (as far as I know) and then using a switch to select between sources. You get no display on the screen but you do get decent quality at least. Someone had posted their install on the forum and that was the method used to install the MP3 player. I don't have details on how to do this but I would guess a local stereo shop could figure it out for you.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:06 PM
6th Gear

I don't care about silly tags on the screen. So from this information I see that with no m-bus input for the ipod means you cannot put a multidisk changer in the car either?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:11 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I still think the easiest (but among the more expensive) methods of taking care of this "problem" is to buy DiscWelder and a DVD burner so you can burn CD-quality audio onto a 4.7gb disc.

I wonder if the TL will take dual-layer DVD-Rs when they start becoming more common.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:37 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Got this response today:

-------------

The NAV and XM don't prevent the use of this interface just makes it more
difficult. The main problem is that our interface will not work in
conjunction with the factory XM so you can have only one or the other. As
for the NAV there is a wiring harness to get around that. Check out
logjamelectronics.com for further information concerning the install.
thanks CHET.

> From: ....
> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:57:25 -0800 (PST)
> To: sgtech@SoundGate.com
> Subject: 2004 Acura TL: snhond3
> Resent-From: sgtech@soundgate.com
> Resent-To: sgtech@wavecom.net
> Resent-Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:57:29 -0700
>
> Hi:
>
> I read on your site that the snhond3 is useable in the 2004 Acura TL. Can
> I see copies of the documentation to get this adapter installed for
> auxiliary use? I thought that the Navigation + XM radio in the 2004 TLs
> prevent use of the adapter because there are no plugs for the adapter.
>
> Thanks for any help -- if you have any installation documents I would love
> to see them to see if the level of work needed requires a professional or
> if a do-it-at-home job will work.