Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL 6MT - Performance Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL 6MT - Performance Shifting

When I'm not really pushing the car, upshifiting can be done very, very smoothly. However, when you really want to run up through the gears for maximum performance, it seems very difficult to do smoothly. I mean, if you wait the necessary time to rev-match for the upshift, then its seems that you are losing performance. But if you don't wait to rev-match then you are dropping the clutch and relying on the synchros. So what is the solution? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 11-27-2004, 02:39 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by seamg
When I'm not really pushing the car, upshifiting can be done very, very smoothly. However, when you really want to run up through the gears for maximum performance, it seems very difficult to do smoothly. I mean, if you wait the necessary time to rev-match for the upshift, then its seems that you are losing performance. But if you don't wait to rev-match then you are dropping the clutch and relying on the synchros. So what is the solution? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

only practice
Old 11-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Instructor

I can do it smootly if I wait to rev match, but that takes a few seconds, not much but still. I guess that is the point. Sometimes I wonder if the automatic could actually be faster? I mean, I prefer the 6MT over an auto for several reasons, but I wish the tranny was a bit sportier.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
You can come close to speed shifting this car, but I wouldn't try a full blown speed shift, mainly because the shifter is too weak to take that kind of abuse, not because of what you are worried about. I've pulled some pretty fast shifts with it but nothing like what I could do in my '66 S396/360 L34 Chevelle. With that thing, I was able to really do some serious speed shifting.

Incidently to clarify things, speed shifting is essentially shifting in a normal fashion, clutch in/gas off/shift/back on gas, only you do it VERY fast. In order to do a proper speed shift, you have to move a little forward in your seat and when you pull the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts, throw your whole body into the shift. That's why I say the shifter won't stand up to that kind of abuse. A lot of people confuse speed shifting with power shifting and I've run into such confusion on this site a few times. They are NOT the same.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Southern Boy, would you please explain in greater detail what speed shifting is, including what is happening mechanically (I've read your explanations before, so I know that you know this stuff); and the same for power shifting (which I have never heard of).

thanks!
Old 11-27-2004, 03:47 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

I can do it smootly if I wait to rev match, but that takes a few seconds, not much but still. I guess that is the point. Sometimes I wonder if the automatic could actually be faster? I mean, I prefer the 6MT over an auto for several reasons, but I wish the tranny was a bit sportier.

Is it your first MT car?
Old 11-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Instructor

yes, it is. I've been driving it for about 8 months.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:03 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

yes, it is. I've been driving it for about 8 months.
It will take some times to learn drive stick. more practice.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

To seamg;

Sure. There are basically three methods of shifting to employ in drag racing. I would like to emphasize here that I'm talking about street machines, not pro-stockers, funny cars, or AA/Fuelers. Also these street machines may or may not be modified, but for this discussion, I will be referring to American supercars of the mid-60's.

Speed shifting is nothing more than normal shifting, only you do it as fast as you can. This means you use the clutch and you let up on the throttle between shifts. But as I said, you do this VERY fast. You MUST have a strong shifter otherwise you risk damaging the one you have. If you do this correctly, you'll be amazed at how fast you can shift. I used this method in my '66 SS396/360 Chevelle 100% of the time when racing. The stock shifter in my Chevelle was made for Chevy by Inland Steel. Most of the guys running these cars in my area pulled this shifter in favor of the Hurst Competition 4-Plus unit, but I liked the Inland Steel shifter and could shift faster with it that the Hurst, so I kept it. I could outshift most of my competition and rarely missed a shift with this unit.

Power shifting is basically speed shifting, only once you launch the car, your right foot stays in the throttle the whole race.. you do not lift off the throttle between shifts. Power shifting is VERY hard on the clutch, transmission, U-joints, rear end, and if you miss a shift or hang in neutral, the engine can suffer damage.. usually you'll just take it to valve float, though.

Bang shifting is like power shifting, only you don't use the clutch. This is the most severe method of shifting and requires some tranny work before you try it.. DON'T try it. By tranny work, some use to remove every other tooth on the synchros to facilitate this method of shifting.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Thanks SouthernBoy, that was really informative. What is your method for driiving you TL 6MT to get the best performance out of it?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:38 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
Quicker shifts...

You could try Comptech's "Short Shifter Kit" for about $50 + installation. I did not try it yet, but I'm concidering it. Has anyone tried the kit yet?
Old 11-28-2004, 01:06 AM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
To seamg;

Sure. There are basically three methods of shifting to employ in drag racing. I would like to emphasize here that I'm talking about street machines, not pro-stockers, funny cars, or AA/Fuelers. Also these street machines may or may not be modified, but for this discussion, I will be referring to American supercars of the mid-60's.

Speed shifting is nothing more than normal shifting, only you do it as fast as you can. This means you use the clutch and you let up on the throttle between shifts. But as I said, you do this VERY fast. You MUST have a strong shifter otherwise you risk damaging the one you have. If you do this correctly, you'll be amazed at how fast you can shift. I used this method in my '66 SS396/360 Chevelle 100% of the time when racing. The stock shifter in my Chevelle was made for Chevy by Inland Steel. Most of the guys running these cars in my area pulled this shifter in favor of the Hurst Competition 4-Plus unit, but I liked the Inland Steel shifter and could shift faster with it that the Hurst, so I kept it. I could outshift most of my competition and rarely missed a shift with this unit.

Power shifting is basically speed shifting, only once you launch the car, your right foot stays in the throttle the whole race.. you do not lift off the throttle between shifts. Power shifting is VERY hard on the clutch, transmission, U-joints, rear end, and if you miss a shift or hang in neutral, the engine can suffer damage.. usually you'll just take it to valve float, though.

Bang shifting is like power shifting, only you don't use the clutch. This is the most severe method of shifting and requires some tranny work before you try it.. DON'T try it. By tranny work, some use to remove every other tooth on the synchros to facilitate this method of shifting.

My method of shifting is Speed shifting when I race with some body from light.
I don't wona kill my cluch & trainy.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:35 AM
Team Nghthwk Whipping Boy

So, Based on SouthernBoy's descriptions I've only ever used the Power Shifting method when racing the TL. I've found the shifter and driveline component to function very well with this method. Additionally, if I was to miss a shift the computer would prevent the over rev.

On another note, this car can be shifted without the clutch...just a couple of notes. It works best when using rev matching. 1-2 is very tricky to do smoothly. and never, ever, ever try it until the car is completely warmed up.

So, how do you properly shift without the clutch. Start off like normal, take first gear to 3500-4000 RPM. You have to have a negitive-load on the shifter to pull it out of gear....this is done by pulling on the shifter as you gently lift off the gas. this take pratice, and it's about feel. If you do it right, the shifter will come out of 1st very easily. As I said getting into 2nd is tricky. If you've gotten it out of 1st cleanly, the rev match will take a moment to drop the RPM to about 2500RPM, as you're waiting for that to happen you need to place the shifter against the 2nd gear gate. You need to being gently pressing against 2nd as the revs drop, at about 2500RPM the syncros will, well sync up allowing the shifter to drop into 2nd. The tricky part is that you have to apply a little gas as it drops in, or it will buck a little. As for the rest of the gears the ratio spacing is much better and dropping into the next gear is very smooth. you can use this process for 1st-5th...6th is an overdrive, and you must use the clutch.

BTW, you will grind the gears from time to time as you learn to do this. So you need to be sure not to try and force it into the next gear...as I said it's a feel thing.

Happy Shifting!

Wicked.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:18 AM
Drifting

Guys, take it easy on your car, it's a sport sedan not a race car. I cringe every time I hear people treating their TL like a race car..it's not. I like my car, and would never consider abusing the car like you mention. Just my .02 cents.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:31 AM
Shift_faster

I am also a MT newbie. However, I want to mention that when you "speed shift" it will not be as smooth as if you were shifting at a normal pace. I believe that was seamg's initial question. If someone can be as smooth at speed-shifting as shifting regularly, they are probably not shifting fast enough (at least from my understanding). In the TL, when you are shifting that fast, the revs don't drop enough to the appropriate level where you can let go of the clutch you get no jerks from the car (because it will be at the appropriate revs for the next gear). But when you speed shift, you are looking to reduce the time between shifts, not particularly focusing on smoothness.

I've never powershifted in my car, and I do not plan to. I think it is very tough on the car, from everything that I've researched about it, and on the street it might gain a miniscule amount compared to the damage I'm doing to my 30K car.

SouthernBoy: as usual, thanks for the explanations.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

From the postings here, I suspect few if any of you have ever really done any drag racing with machinery made for that purpose.

This is not a flame or a put down, but simply an observation. I say this because the three methods of shifting which I descripted are common knowledge and two are commonly used in the sport of drag racing.. the most common for the weekend racer being power shifting.

Certainly when speed shifting the engine would have virtually no time at all for the RPMs to drop since your shift is completed usually in under 2/10ths of a second. The result is spinning the tires a bit when the clutch comes out because it comes out FAST. The whole shift should not take longer than a quarter of a second and preferrably less. I venture to say, I was shifting my Chevelle in well under 2/10ths of a second.

I would HIGHLY recommend against power shifting this or any other street driven FWD car. The parts are just not strong enough for this kind of continued abuse. DON'T DO THIS with this car. Use a variant of speed shifting (that is, not a full speed shift but rather slightly slower).

Bang shifting, as described, is shifting without using the clutch and with the throttle wide open the entire time. THIS IS THE MOST ABUSIVE AND DANGEROUS METHOD OF SHIFTING.
You definitely do not want to do this with the TL. You'll trash the tranny along with a lot of other things. This is a method I never used nor would I with my street machine. Heck, I only power shifted my '66 Chevelle one time, just to say I did. I could speed shift that car so well that I never had to power shift to win races (I only lost one with that car). Besides, it was my normal street driver.

In answer to WickedWiz's question about how you bang shift. Let's say your engine reaches maximum HP at 7000 RPM. You start pulling on the shifter some at around 6500 RPM. As the R's get close the 7000, you start pulling a lot more and soon after going beyond 7000, you'll pull the tranny out of gear because you'll overcome the force of the engine holding the transmission in gear. With synchro teeth shaved off, you'll be able to slam the gearbox into the next higher gear. VERY BAD FOR EVERYTHING AND I VENTURE TO SAY MOST DON'T DO THIS ON THE TRACK with their street machines.

Finally for seamg, I take it easy on my cars today. If I'm going to get it with another car from a stop light or such, I shift fast, but I don't speed shift like I used to because the shifters in these cars are not made as well as they were in the mid-60's and neither are the transmissions. So I shift pretty fast, but not what I would call speed shifting. But it's fast enough to break traction a little in second and third on the shift.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
I am also a MT newbie. However, I want to mention that when you "speed shift" it will not be as smooth as if you were shifting at a normal pace. I believe that was seamg's initial question. If someone can be as smooth at speed-shifting as shifting regularly, they are probably not shifting fast enough (at least from my understanding). In the TL, when you are shifting that fast, the revs don't drop enough to the appropriate level where you can let go of the clutch you get no jerks from the car (because it will be at the appropriate revs for the next gear). But when you speed shift, you are looking to reduce the time between shifts, not particularly focusing on smoothness.

I've never powershifted in my car, and I do not plan to. I think it is very tough on the car, from everything that I've researched about it, and on the street it might gain a miniscule amount compared to the damage I'm doing to my 30K car.

SouthernBoy: as usual, thanks for the explanations.

PoochaKannInc perfectely interprets my question once again and, SouthernBoy provides the perfect explanation once again! Thanks guys!

I think the final analysis is as follows (correct me if I'm wrong/confirm if right): If you want smooth up-shifts, you must "rev match" which requires an extra .5 seconds or so for the revs to drop, this necessitates that you lose that .5 seconds in your overall "lap time" for the sake of smoothness. However, if you want to move faster, you must sacrifice smoothness for quicker clutch engagement and more rapid "lock up" for power delivery.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

To seamg;

You're pretty much on target, but I would say that for "normal" driving, it takes longer than 1/2 a second for the RPMs to drop enough to rev-match the next higher gear.. more like several seconds.

Now as a final on the topic of speed shifting (I left this off of my last response). To I speed shifted my Chevelle, once I launched the car, I would poise my left foot JUST on the clutch pedal and when the time came to shift, I would stab the pedal all the way in and release as fast as I possibly could. While I was doing this, I was shifting to the next gear. This might give you some idea of the speed at which I was able to shift that car. Those cars were deliberately built for this kind of action.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Yes, it is more like several seconds. SouthernBoy, would you say that the TL takes longer to rev-match than other MT cars?
Old 11-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

If by your statement, "would you say that the TL takes longer to rev-match than other MT cars?" you are referring to normal driving which constitutes normal shifting, then I'd say "yes" to some degree. The engine in my former car, a 2002 Altima SE, lost RPMs more quickly between shifts than the engine in my TL. However, the engine in my 2000 SVT Contour would actually gain RPMs, sometimes up to 1500 RPM between shifts. Ford explained that as being a feature, but in reality, it was done just like the rest of the companies.. to help burn off any fuel pudding in the intake manifold.

However, I find that when I am getting into it wiht my TL (that means going WOT), the Rs drop more quickly between shifts which is good because if I am of a mind to shift more aggressively (read that as fast), I don't want the engine to be slow about lossing RPMs.

But under normal driving conditions, I've found the best engine speeds within which to operate, so all is well here in Virginia.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Thanks again SouthernBoy

....questions:

1. What is "WOT"?

2. What do you considter the optimal operating RPM range for the TL?

3. Does it make any sense to shift at higher than 5000 RPM?

Old 11-28-2004, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

To seamg;

#1 WOT = Wide Open Throttle

#2 This depends upon the instant situation at hand. Generally under normal conditions, I like to keep the engine somewhere between 2000 and 2500 RPM. But I emphasize that's for normal conditions.

#3 Only when you need the acceleration offered at those engine speeds. Otherwise, if it's normal driving, the answer to this is "no".
Old 11-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Team Nghthwk Whipping Boy

Originally Posted by JetJock
Guys, take it easy on your car, it's a sport sedan not a race car. I cringe every time I hear people treating their TL like a race car..it's not. I like my car, and would never consider abusing the car like you mention. Just my .02 cents.
There's a difference between use and abuse.

If you practice a technique you can execute it without causing damage. I've driven many different MT cars/trucks under many different conditions for over 25 years. I spent the first 5000 miles in my TL learning how the drivetrain functions. Only under intense racing conditions do I shift without letting up on the gas petal, also I never push the clutch all the way in(under any condition)...it's just not needed, and slows your shifting.

When just driving under normal conditions I never use the clutch at all...again, it's just not needed with a fully syncro'd tranny.

Just my .02 cents, and 25 years of experience.

Wicked.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

To WickedWiz;

It's your car so you're certainly welcome to do as you please, but I have to tell you that you're off base about " never use the clutch at all...again, it's just not needed with a fully syncro'd tranny".

Synchronizers are not for shifting without the clutch at all, but rather for shift with the clutch and not having to rev-match. However, rev-matching, when done correctly, does increase clutch assembly and transmission life. Yes, I can shift without using a clutch and have when the need arises, which in 41 years of driving a manual, has only happened once that I can recall. I had no choice if I was going to get myself and three other people home and since I knew what I was doing, all worked out Ok.

But I HIGHLY recommend using the clutch whenever you shift. If you do it right and there are no exceptional situations, your clutch should last well into the 6-figure mileage range.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Car Addict

I've powershifted and speedshifted our 05 tl and it's decent. Mostly I speed shift so I won't wear out the clutch super fast.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Drifting

WOW..this thread is really interesting..seems like a lot of people are into drag racing...and I also was years ago...the smell of nitro still gets me excited, but I don't consider my TL a race car, so you guys go ahead and power shift away....I'll be the one up ahead in the right lane so watch out for me. j/k...I'm usually in the left lane trying to pass trucks before they kick up stones on my car.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Awesome to the Max

i shift at about...2000-2500 rpm right now..and my friend that drives an evo that pushes about 350 hp said that i am a grandma and I granny shift.....I got sad..
Old 11-29-2004, 05:28 PM