Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL 6MT downshifiting/cornering

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL 6MT downshifiting/cornering

I working on my technique for downshifting while cornering in order to exit the corner in a lower gear and accelerate out. I need some pointers. Can anyone out there take me step-by-step through the method he uses?

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Team Anthracite Member#69

Now this things assume you are a newbie at it...

The most important thing to learn first is engine rev matching. DO NOT try to learn on actual corners. Do this on the highway. Practice a couple times every time you ride. Start at 6th gear and drop one gear at a time until you get to 3rd gear matching every gear... Depending at the speed you are going you might want to try even 2nd gear... but prob not. When you master that then skip a gear... 6th-4th, 5th-3rd. You need to get to know your car really well here. Then go for the one you'll really need for most of your Mario Andriette cornering... dropping from 6th to 3rd gear... Just be careful because your engine limiter wont save you if you drop it to too low a gear.

Now this wont work on every corner but it will get you started. You'll have to take it easy at the first few corners while you get to know your cars cornering limits and then learn how much braking you should also incorporate into the equation and where to do the brakeing... This is where you'll have to learn some heel/toe techniques.

And remember no peeking at your gauges while cornering... that split second of taking your eyes of the road could be the end of your tl...

You can probably find better written instructions somewhere on the net...
I just found this one in google: http://www.318ti.org/notebook/shifting/

Hope that helps.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

its not easy without heel-toe (using right foot on brake and throttle at the same time).

Best this is to work on smooth downwhifting and then try to combine that with braking.

Say your in third. To downshift smoothly press clutch, give a little bit of throttle to get your RPMs to where they should be for second gear and then release clutch (I think around 2K more). With lots of practice, and it will take a lot of practice, you can do it without thinking. You've got it down when you can't tell you're actually downshifting (meaning the car does't learch forward or backword but just maintains the same speed)

Work on that and then we can try to add braking in there as well. Then we can throw in turning.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by seamg
I working on my technique for downshifting while cornering in order to exit the corner in a lower gear and accelerate out. I need some pointers. Can anyone out there take me step-by-step through the method he uses?

Thanks.
this is for normal driving right not at the track or autocross? i think you guys are making it sound harder than it is. i personally dun do any heel toe manuevers whatso ever. its just way overkill for driving on the street. only reason that someone needs to do that is to shave a couple of tenths off their autocross or track times. its real easy for turns:

1)hit brakes and hold clutch down
2)put car into desired exiting gear
3)make turn
4)give it a little gas to match the rom that is suppose to be at.
5)release clutch and speed off

i dun see any reason you want to be on the brakes and the gas at the same time. only a person that wants to reduce the delay of rev matching(tenths of a second) would want to keep his heel on the gas to get the rpms at the right speed immediately. you can also downshift while braking and you will find yourself in the correct exiting gear when taking the turn.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by spidey07
its not easy without heel-toe (using right foot on brake and throttle at the same time).

Best this is to work on smooth downwhifting and then try to combine that with braking.

Say your in third. To downshift smoothly press clutch, give a little bit of throttle to get your RPMs to where they should be for second gear and then release clutch (I think around 2K more).
You will want to gear into neutral after yo depress the clutch, rev match, clutch again then shift into lower gear. By using your method of just depressing the clutch and rev matching without putting into neutral and releasing the clutch you are in effect riding the clutch. You will burn it out. You really need to "double clutch" which is the technique I described
Old 05-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Burning Brakes

that's pretty dangerous. You're going threw a turn with the clutch pressed in?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
having a 3rd foot would REALLY help :p
Old 05-13-2004, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dougpt10
You will want to gear into neutral after yo depress the clutch, rev match, clutch again then shift into lower gear. By using your method of just depressing the clutch and rev matching without putting into neutral and releasing the clutch you are in effect riding the clutch. You will burn it out. You really need to "double clutch" which is the technique I described
meh, that's what syncros are for. Just about everything I've read says modern transmisions double clutching is really unnecessary. But it is fun to master it. Plus I didn't want to confuse the OP.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by cTLgo
having a 3rd foot would REALLY help :p
I am equipped w/ a 3rd leg... . spidey...not sure I understand why disengaging the clutch (pressed down) through a turn is dangerous. I don't do it all the time, but there are times when I do it.

I'm still trying to work on my heel/toe techniques for better control starting on a hill...
Old 05-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
I am equipped w/ a 3rd leg... . spidey...not sure I understand why disengaging the clutch (pressed down) through a turn is dangerous. I don't do it all the time, but there are times when I do it.

I'm still trying to work on my heel/toe techniques for better control starting on a hill...
Maybe its just me. I don't like not having control over the front wheels and not being in gear through a corner (unless I'm just leasurely putzing around). There have been many times where I missed judged and was too fast and had to throw it into an oversteer condition...So I needed power immediately to the front wheels.

To each their own of course.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
i understand why pushing the clutch pedal down through a turn is dangerous... cause my car starting drifting goin into a left turn at 40 MPH
Old 05-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Advanced

herm..u should always be in gear when going in and out of a turn. Worse is when you come out of a corner and then let the clutch go, you can actually cause the car to lose control that way if you don't rev match.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by prophet
herm..u should always be in gear when going in and out of a turn. Worse is when you come out of a corner and then let the clutch go, you can actually cause the car to lose control that way if you don't rev match.
Prohpet....can you break down your technique step-by-step?
Old 05-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by prophet
Makes sense, and I understand the reasoning. I initially thought when spidey mentioned it, it was "dangerous" because of some extreme wear to the clutch. But he explained it well...

I agree with you about rev-matching coming out of a corner, unless you blip the throttle slightly, you can jerk/shock the driveline with some "interesting" results.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Makes sense, and I understand the reasoning. I initially thought when spidey mentioned it, it was "dangerous" because of some extreme wear to the clutch. But he explained it well...

I agree with you about rev-matching coming out of a corner, unless you blip the throttle slightly, you can jerk/shock the driveline with some "interesting" results.
hehe, and its that jerk/shock that throws the whole car out of whack.

Its a scary feeling having her buck like a freaking bronco. I'll have to tell y'all about the panic breaking I had to do while 90 MPH around a corner. yuck. Just, yuck.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

not sure why keeping the clutch down is dangerous, but you can also put it nuetral if you feel better that way.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by caball88
not sure why keeping the clutch down is dangerous, but you can also put it nuetral if you feel better that way.
My point was you have no control over the front wheels/traction. That's what I was saying is dangerous. But again this only applies if you are taking a corner at a decent clip.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:51 PM